Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Imagine an electrical engineer with an MBA. As manager of a non engineering company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Roseo posted:

When you look at the numbers in a vacuum like that they seem ok, where the machines are the bit that pushes your margins up just a bit and lets your bar make a profit month to month. In practice, when you sit and watch and actually pay attention to how the machines are used, you find out that all that money comes from a couple people who come in on payday and feed their paycheck into the machine a buck at a time.

The BWM goes all the way down.

Up until 2018 in the UK, you could bet up to £100 every 20 seconds on fixed-odds betting terminals, none of that one dollar at a time bullshit. Now THE MAN says you can only bet £5 at a time, I thought this was a free country.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember the early 2000s when the internet was overrun by 911 truther physics majors who thought they could derive structural engineering from first principals.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Magnetic North posted:

David Gerard called this the "fallacy of transferable expertise" in Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain. It is nuts to me that such a phenomenon remained apparently unnamed before then, since fukken nerds have been doing this poo poo forever.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
See also Linus Pauling re: chemists with the same problem

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

holy poo poo stealing this for every thread in SAL ever

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

My favorite was the physicist who developed a college's initial Covid strategy, while talking about how he's happy to help out on small-brain problems. Then there was a massive outbreak because the physicist didn't plan for students going to parties.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Tomfoolery posted:

My favorite was the physicist who developed a college's initial Covid strategy, while talking about how he's happy to help out on small-brain problems. Then there was a massive outbreak because the physicist didn't plan for students going to parties.

“Let’s assume each student is a spherical frictionless cow…”

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
All other sciences derive from physics (and by extension math). Physics is applied math, chemistry is applied physics, biology is applied chemistry. Physics underscores it all :colbert:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tell me you havent read p anderson wo tellin me you havent read p anderson

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

D34THROW posted:

All other sciences derive from physics (and by extension math). Physics is applied math, chemistry is applied physics, biology is applied chemistry. Physics underscores it all :colbert:

Didn’t you just admit it’s actually math?

They were definitely the most :smug: in undergrad.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Residency Evil posted:

Didn’t you just admit it’s actually math?

They were definitely the most :smug: in undergrad.

There's no :smug: face like a PhD grad student pointing out to a STEM grad student that their degree will say "doctor of philosophy" and watching their face turn red.

actually there is. It's :agesilaus:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not a Children posted:

As a power engineer I can say with authority: Electrical engineers are runners up only to software developers and MBAs in their overconfidence in their understanding of and ability to improve on other disciplines in which they have zero training

None of those people have anything on physicists.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pfft. Math is just Applied Philosophy. Isn't that right, Thales from the superior webcomic?

"Everything is water!"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ultrafilter posted:

None of those people have anything on physicists.

Well yeah, nobody has anything *on* physicists, that would violate the assumption of frictionlessness.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Magnetic North posted:

Pfft. Math is just Applied Philosophy. Isn't that right, Thales from the superior webcomic?

"Everything is water!"

Basically. Math is just Applied Symbolic Logic, and Symbolic Logic is a branch of Philosophy.

My university's philosophy department was really heavy into symbolic logic, and I did very well in the Intro Symbolic Logic class that they made all the undergrads take. In fact, I liked that class so much that I decided to take the department's Intermediate Symbolic Logic class the next semester. It wasn't until I showed up the first day of class when I realized that this undergrad philosophy class was cross-listed as a graduate-level math class. That class was...intense.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Physics is maths with better examples and engineering is physics with actual examples.

Economics is maths with bad examples and hey look here we are in this thread.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tomfoolery posted:

to be fair, i think the plan did account for students going to parties, what it didn't account for was students going to parties when they knew they were covid positive. also it was two physicists and they were only a subset of a wider team

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/health/university-illinois-covid.html

of course college students, and people in general, aren't known for making the choice to forgo alcohol and sex in order to safeguard their health and the health of others, but it's not quite as blindingly obvious a flaw as simply "there will be no parties"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

to be fair, i think the plan did account for students going to parties, what it didn't account for was students going to parties when they knew they were covid positive. also it was two physicists and they were only a subset of a wider team

of course college students, and people in general, aren't known for making the choice to forgo alcohol and sex in order to safeguard their health and the health of others, but it's not quite as blindingly obvious a flaw as simply "there will be no parties"

So are you enjoying your time as a physics grad student at UIUC?

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

FrozenVent posted:

Imagine an electrical engineer with an MBA. As manager of a non engineering company.

Yes it's called Consulting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

After the initial surge, UIUC's SHIELD testing program worked really really well and it's a national failing that it wasn't put in place everywhere.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

University of Illinois also developed a spit test for COVID which was fast, cheap, and reliable. I’m not sure how or why that didn’t become a standard across the country instead of the nose swab. It was GWM for the U of I school system at least.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It was offered to every public school in Illinois I think. Free, or at least paid for by state grants.

My wife's school did it once in September.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"Stop trying to save us from ourselves!"

quote:

US Labor Department Has ‘Grave Concerns’ About Fidelity’s Plan for Bitcoin in 401(k) Retirement Plans, Wall Street Journal Reports

quote:

It performs better than any other asset on offer, why not?

quote:

That's because they are desperate to cling to the slipping control of the minds of the masses.

quote:

and i have big concerns about the US labor department

quote:

Terrible communist are concerned about a non-Nixon/Barry Goldwater approved 401k plan. Work on bring back pensions and sound money US Labor. JFK's silver standard.

quote:

Why would they have concerns about an asset that literally cannot lose value or be deflated? Maybe they are concerned about something else...

quote:

Stripe, one of the biggest credit card payment processors in the US, just added crypto support. https://stripe.com/use-cases/crypto

No one uses BTC for pizza because it's terrible as actual money with the taxes and it's constantly fluctuating. Everyone uses stablecoins now.

EDIT: You can downvote it but it isn't going to stop it from happening. Crypto adoption up fast is coming whether you like it or not.

quote:

quote:

Fidelity has gold funds and other non-productive asset options. Why wouldn't they offer the large cryptocurrencies to investors?

Have you ever looked at the stability of the price of gold compared to literally any crypto currency? It's about protecting investors with little to no investment knowledge.

quote:

I agree we should protect investors from making poor decisions when they are not knowledgeable of the assets. But, stopping them from buying tax advantaged bitcoin is like keeping them out of the garden of eden. It removes the only downside to crypto. Why would you protect them from something beautiful?

quote:

Cryptocurrency does have value and use, though. The fact that it is bound only by math (essentially) is what gives it its value. There is no outside entity that can ever “create” more Bitcoin than its design allows for. Much unlike fiat currencies that can be printed as needed by some central authority.

quote:

The government officials saying they don't want it available because the providers have a "fiduciary responsibility" are talking in circles. If you have a fiduciary responsibility then you should be required to put your client's assets in crypto. It is the only asset guaranteed not to lose value.

quote:

Edit: Explain your downvotes to me if you would, please. Is it because I said 401k is garbage, or did you finally realize those coffers will be emptied before it's your turn to withdraw?

When I can claim more than $3,000 of losses per year instead of rolling over year after year, I'll actually listen to the argument. Until then, I don't care and y'all can stop squawking about the government losing out on unrealized tax revenue. 🙄

As it stands, the individual's losses are not even remotely protected or valued appropriately.

I love how a lot of folks seem to think index funds and other securities which fall under the retirement asset class could not lose their value either. Is this a forest for the trees moment? Are people really that silly to believe existing 401k will remain solvent?

quote:

quote:

It is their money and their decision. It’s one thing to explain why it is a terrible idea for a retirement account, but it’s another to “protect them” from themselves by limiting options.

That's a legal requirement for the managers of 401k funds. The government doesn't have to give anyone a tax break on their investments. If you want that tax break, they put down additional rules you have to follow.

quote:

Crypto has gone up significantly in the past 24 months compared to gold. As long as investments are in Etherum/Bitcoin I can see them out performing most asset classes long term.

quote:

quote:

It’s been pretty well established that those with fiduciary responsibility have an actual legal obligation to not give their clients these kinds of choices. Most people with a 401k are nearly financially illiterate and we know this, so it’s in their best financial interest to only give them the option of viable financial assets. Crypto is not that, so giving them the option is essentially offering to push them out of a plane without a parachute, if they want. It’s not in their best interest, so you are effectively legally obligated not to do it.

Then the US Labor Dept is going to have to provide proof it is not a viable investment.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

brugroffil posted:

It was offered to every public school in Illinois I think. Free, or at least paid for by state grants.

My wife's school did it once in September.
My kids’ grade school did it weekly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oil! posted:

Markets aren't even open yet.

Edit: I go to sleep and wake up to $11.38.

Edit2: $10.01, lowest price since 1973 when Texas last restricted production.

Wonder what the venn overlap of "people who made 1000% return in 2 years impulse buying WTI at :tenbucks:" and "already lost it speculating in ponzi schemes" is?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

Terrible communist are concerned about a non-Nixon/Barry Goldwater approved 401k plan. Work on bring back pensions and sound money US Labor. JFK's silver standard.
...why would communists be concerned about something that Barry Goldwater didn't like?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:aaaaa:

vvv. Birthing Worldwide Meltdown: One weird trick to ruin the global economy - central banks hate him!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 1, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
When you owe the bank a hundred bucks, it's your problem. When you owe TradeUP 86 trillion dollars, it's TradeUP's problem.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

:sickos:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guest2553 posted:

:aaaaa:

vvv. Birthing Worldwide Meltdown: One weird trick to ruin the global economy - central banks hate him!

One weird trick to test your exchange platform's order limits in production, accountants hate it!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

My 401k is with Fidelity. I suppose I should move it somewhere else that is not stupid enough to offer bitcoin investing. Any suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Machai posted:

My 401k is with Fidelity. I suppose I should move it somewhere else that is not stupid enough to offer bitcoin investing. Any suggestions?

If you currently work for the employer you don't have this option. If you no longer work for the employer roll it over to a Vanguard Rollover IRA if you absolutely definitely do not care/need to back door roth.

Or you know - just don't buy bitcoin.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Guest2553 posted:

Wonder what the venn overlap of "people who made 1000% return in 2 years impulse buying WTI at :tenbucks:" and "already lost it speculating in ponzi schemes" is?

It isn't possible unless you own a bunch of tanks in Cushing, Oklahoma. The following day people were panicking on how to accept delivery and bailed out that the price went from -$40 to $10. The company I work for got bailed out because the local refinery didn't want to shut down.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Machai posted:

Seems like a lot of work to change firms just because they offer a product you don’t want.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Despite this one silly product, Fidelity is still one of the top 2 or 3 brokerage platforms for free/low-cost investing.

Vanguard offers actively managed funds, too, but you don't see the Bogleheads revolting about it. They just don't invest in them.

Also you don't control who your 401k is with, and being with Fidelity is better than 99% of other trash options out there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if people invest in bitcoin in Fidelity-managed 401(k)s and it tanks, it will neither harm you in your 401(k) nor Fidelity

now if you have an intense moral opposition to even allowing people to invest in bitcoin in retirement accounts, and you also have the power to modify your company's 401(k) plan, have at it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i discovered r/HENRYfinance today.

lol

Is anyone here a “high spender”?

High Spender posted:

This is probably going to be a very unpopular opinion but I’m curious to here thoughts anyways. I’m 42, husband 43, combined income around 750k. I say around because I’m employed (FAANG) with $450k and husband is self employed so his income varies more and also rental income of about $4.5k a month. We have a net worth of $1.25M. Combined assets of $2.5M but two mortgages worth $1.2M plus car notes etc. I consider ourselves high earners but also high spenders. We have kids, drive expensive cars, live in HCOL area, like nice restaurants etc. I’m torn between living more modestly and working towards fatfire or living it up now and planning a modest regular retirement. My fathers side of the family all died young so it makes me aware that I have no guarantee of a long healthy life but of course I also don’t want to struggle at an old age. Is there anyone here that also plans a decent/normal retirement and is enjoying the finer things in life now? We easily spend 25-35k a month.

it's all relative I guess and I don't want to run the numbers but wow, I wish I had time to spend that kind of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

That has to include mortgages on the rental properties, right? Right?