Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
UE5 is a very different beast in a lot of ways. I don’t see them switching though, not unless they transitioned to Apex 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Bottom Liner posted:

UE5 is a very different beast in a lot of ways. I don’t see them switching though, not unless they transitioned to Apex 2.

From a publisher/developer standpoint, it wouldn't make much sense unless they were banking on keeping the game around for another decade.

Bioware is a good lesson on why you should stick with an engine you're comfortable with for a game series. Importing assets is one thing, dealing with the inevitable mountain of bugs/glitches is another.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah Apex is never going to change engines unless they do a clean-slate Apex 2, which they probably won't

It's on the table for Titanfall 3 though if that ever happens

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
ALGS playoffs happening now. The timing is very unfortunate if you’re in North America, but watching the recording today the games have been really interesting. The different metas colliding has been fun to see. Also seems like some of the scrim results (eg TL doing surprisingly well) may have been more indicative of LAN performance than I expected.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

IIRC goldsrc and UE use different units of measurement for physics calculations, which has traditionally been the cause of some extremely entertaining bugs. Battlefield's mis-converted bomb yields being orders of magnitude larger than they were supposed to be come to mind.

It would be more likely that TF3/Apex Legends 2 end up using Source 2 if it ever ships

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
At Titanfall start up time, Zampella said that he prioritized using an engine they could build quickly on and was shown to hit a stable 60 FPS on consoles. That's something they cared about clearly in CoD (idtech) and they believed source could also do it. I don't know what game confirmed that for them or anything. I don't recall any 60FPS Source games on console.

Nowadays Unreal hits that comfortably with high fidelity and in MP with like Gears.

For the Star Wars game, it's weird to describe it this way but it was probably still in start up mode. They had to hire fast and scale a team to make a licensed game, so sticking with an engine you can hire people with knowledge of and lots of tools helps a lot.

But they're also not in that startup mode anymore and probably know the pros and cons of their Titanfall engine so they're probably in a good spot to do whatever they want. Epic has been signing big deals with AAA devs as well to move to their engine so it wouldn't be impossible that they'd join in on that.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

MJBuddy posted:

At Titanfall start up time, Zampella said that he prioritized using an engine they could build quickly on and was shown to hit a stable 60 FPS on consoles. That's something they cared about clearly in CoD (idtech) and they believed source could also do it. I don't know what game confirmed that for them or anything. I don't recall any 60FPS Source games on console.

Nowadays Unreal hits that comfortably with high fidelity and in MP with like Gears.

For the Star Wars game, it's weird to describe it this way but it was probably still in start up mode. They had to hire fast and scale a team to make a licensed game, so sticking with an engine you can hire people with knowledge of and lots of tools helps a lot.

But they're also not in that startup mode anymore and probably know the pros and cons of their Titanfall engine so they're probably in a good spot to do whatever they want. Epic has been signing big deals with AAA devs as well to move to their engine so it wouldn't be impossible that they'd join in on that.

Don't forget to mention cost; Source was already 6-8 years old and considered a historic engine when they started developing Titanfall, they probably paid a one-time 40k fee to license it.

By contrast, the Unreal license is minimum 5% of sales and probably has more hidden costs for AAA teams.

Unreal/Source 2 are certainly the higher-fidelity options, but why switch when you can make billions off something that's free and still looks good?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Tetrabor posted:

Don't forget to mention cost; Source was already 6-8 years old and considered a historic engine when they started developing Titanfall, they probably paid a one-time 40k fee to license it.

By contrast, the Unreal license is minimum 5% of sales and probably has more hidden costs for AAA teams.

Unreal/Source 2 are certainly the higher-fidelity options, but why switch when you can make billions off something that's free and still looks good?

Honestly? Because Unreal would want them to use their engine and could give them a large discount, or rebates, or direct material support to even get 1/10 of their revenue.

You're exactly correct that they charge, but Respawns next project probably scales outside of normal studio pricing, probably like whatever they're doing with Witcher.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://youtu.be/cOFuEQEvC3E

Gameplay trailer tomorrow

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I really wish we could leave the last console generation behind and see what these new consoles can do unconstrained by 9 year old hardware, whose CPUs were already shite when they launched.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

People would need to actually be able to get the new consoles first.

And you'd still have people running 10 year old PCs furious that their 760 can't run it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

At least the new consoles are supposed to be getting 120fps support at some point

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/SomeoneWhoLeaks/status/1520797720142876679

Teaser of the gameplay trailer

runchild
May 26, 2010

The Downed Beast area looks cooler than I expected TBH.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really wish we could leave the last console generation behind and see what these new consoles can do unconstrained by 9 year old hardware, whose CPUs were already shite when they launched.

Recently got a Series X (finally). It’s a notable difference, at least from my OG version XBone.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOFuEQEvC3E

Map Update: https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/monstrous-storm-point-map-update

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

R301 and Rampage in the crafter apparently

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Daztek posted:

R301 and Rampage in the crafter apparently

The past several seasons have just been systematically removing all the all-around good guns from the game. Spitfire, Scout, Longbow, Flatline, Volt. No surprise the 301 and Rampage are next.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I tend to miss a lot with the Flatline so I didn’t bother crafting it this season, but a measly 30 mats for a R-301 whenever I want is going to be hard to pass up.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Isn't putting those guns in the craft rotation making them more available though? Now you don't need rng to find them, you can craft them every game if you want

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

The past several seasons have just been systematically removing all the all-around good guns from the game. Spitfire, Scout, Longbow, Flatline, Volt. No surprise the 301 and Rampage are next.

I mean, ignoring the fact that it'll be very easy to just craft them if you want, you do know that the flatline and longbow aren't going to craftable next season, so they'll probably go back to being ground loot right?

as much as I like the rampage, it really feels like the default gun for a lot of folk to take, so making it more of an intentional choice is a good thing imo

edit: I mean, it's also possible that they'll go into the care package, but that'll also mean two of the care package guns will be ground loot (probably the scout and the volt) so this really seems like being upset for the sake of it to me

egg tats fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 2, 2022

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I only need the "equip a legendary shield and helmet at the same time" achievement and then I'll have them all. Is that still possible? Haven't seen a golden helmet in ages. And what's a legendary shield? Red or gold?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

egg tats posted:

I mean, ignoring the fact that it'll be very easy to just craft them if you want, you do know that the flatline and longbow aren't going to craftable next season, so they'll probably go back to being ground loot right?

Or, comedy option, they just keep adding more and more guns to the radial craft menu until each slice of the selection pie is teeny

Spend time in training mode to get the gun you want.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Reposting the flatline recoil control video. Goons are gonna need it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_vqOo9dHw

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

I only need the "equip a legendary shield and helmet at the same time" achievement and then I'll have them all. Is that still possible? Haven't seen a golden helmet in ages. And what's a legendary shield? Red or gold?

Gold helmets definitely exist. I usually end up picking up at least one during a play session. And Legendaries are all Gold items.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

err posted:

Reposting the flatline recoil control video. Goons are gonna need it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_vqOo9dHw

i had a friend test it (lol, legit in this instance!) and a vibrator works 100% perfectly. get it between your hand and the mouse sensor and recoil doesn't exist anymore.

runchild
May 26, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

Worlds Edge should presumably be back in rotation next week, which means access to the loot vaults, which means easy-to-find gold gear. Play as Loba and you can steal one item per ult, no key necessary. Also works on the ship bridge on Olympus, but there aren’t any more vaults to go search afterwards. Generally just playing as Loba will make your goal easier to accomplish.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

runchild posted:

Worlds Edge should presumably be back in rotation next week, which means access to the loot vaults, which means easy-to-find gold gear. Play as Loba and you can steal one item per ult, no key necessary. Also works on the ship bridge on Olympus, but there aren’t any more vaults to go search afterwards. Generally just playing as Loba will make your goal easier to accomplish.

Probably going to have some good loot in the new stormpoint robot lockers too

also there's at least one gold tier item on the ground on Elysium if you're on Olympus

don't know if there's any consistent way to find gold equipment on KC, you'll just need to raid care packages and have a lifeline on your team

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
caustic's thing has golds usually

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/alphaINTEL/status/1521159833902272513

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fragment is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Vf_C5bFck

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I bet all the bald wraiths could feel the ripple across their heads before they even saw the trailer. They just knew.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
any changes to fragment?

it should be a loot free area, let all the idiots punch one another to death

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CoolCab posted:

caustic's thing has golds usually

Yeah, best bet is probably to go to Fartland. It always has golds and the helmet and shield can both spawn there. Better be quick though cause it'll be out of the rotation next week.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 2, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

any changes to fragment?

probably not, i dont recall them ever changing more than one map with a season update

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

egg tats posted:

edit: I mean, it's also possible that they'll go into the care package, but that'll also mean two of the care package guns will be ground loot (probably the scout and the volt) so this really seems like being upset for the sake of it to me

I'm not terribly upset, it's just obnoxious that all the guns I gravitate towards using get vaulted and the alternatives all have various types of severe drawbacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Please dear lord let me opt out of one map.

I loving hate stormpoint and i just don't play when its on.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I bet all the bald wraiths could feel the ripple across their heads before they even saw the trailer. They just knew.

What's wrong with bald wraiths? Waaaay back in season 1 that was like a super rare skin iirc?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

What's wrong with bald wraiths? Waaaay back in season 1 that was like a super rare skin iirc?

Goons keep dying to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

Please dear lord let me opt out of one map.

I loving hate stormpoint and i just don't play when its on.

I'm right there with you, storm point is awful. I've barely played this season because I don't like storm point or kings canyon.