Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my boss is going on his first cruise in 2+ years next week. a cruise around the British isles. having a great time envisioning any number of fun scenarios there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Kenny Logins posted:

my boss is going on his first cruise in 2+ years next week. a cruise around the British isles. having a great time envisioning any number of fun scenarios there

gammon swapping norovirus back and forth while seeing the firth of forth.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Cruises are a pit of disease and filth in the best of times

I like watching Rick Steve travelogues because he's a jolly old weed dad and he suggested using medditeranean cruises as a sort of subsidized taxi service while opting out of the added expense of doing things on the boat and through the cruise line.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

He gave a lecture on Cuba that convinced me to go

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
anyone been on or know someone whos been on one of those viking cruises in europe

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I used to work with a mid-fifties cruise hound who loving loved viking cruises and would talk poo poo on the 'trash' who took Carnival cruises

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've never been on a cruise ever

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

fortunately covid is over so they won’t have to spend as much cleaning the boats

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i can’t believe the cruise industry didn’t get obliterated by the pandemic. they always seemed like Petri dishes before, how are people stupid enough to get in one now?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
People have decided that there is no future worth living in and they're going to get their treats right now even if it kills them

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
succumbing to the death drive is an individual choice and we should respect it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

graph posted:

anyone been on or know someone whos been on one of those viking cruises in europe

do you get to smash and steal from farms and churches?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People have decided that there is no future worth living in and they're going to get their treats right now even if it kills them

Good idea, what treats do you recommend?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PokeJoe posted:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hops.
Barley.
Water.
Rice.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the nachos look p. deece in the picture

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i don't know if ive ever actually been to an applebees. maybe once

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PokeJoe posted:

i don't know if ive ever actually been to an applebees. maybe once

https://twitter.com/survivorcbs/status/1514348589882904579

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sounds pretty good. I'm a burger kind of guy

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

goldbelly.com

the world is your oyster

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Asleep Style posted:

goldbelly.com

the world is your oyster

tell em lowtax sent ya

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Living in a cruise destination has long since soured me in the idea of ever going on a cruise myself

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i can’t believe the cruise industry didn’t get obliterated by the pandemic. they always seemed like Petri dishes before, how are people stupid enough to get in one now?

I can't speak for other places but our state government bends over for the cruise/guided tourism industry almost as much as the oil industry

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

independent/ unguided tourism is way better for the economy but it's way harder to get kickbacks from

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

I used to work with a mid-fifties cruise hound who loving loved viking cruises

yeah they seem ok if you wanna do that thing

PokeJoe posted:

same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cruises are a pit of disease and filth in the best of times

I like watching Rick Steve travelogues because he's a jolly old weed dad and he suggested using medditeranean cruises as a sort of subsidized taxi service while opting out of the added expense of doing things on the boat and through the cruise line.
i am glad i got to try a cruise like 10 years ago. the david foster wallace essay on them is still uhhh devastatingly accurate.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

if you're the kind of person who likes all inclusive resorts you're probably also going to like cruises. if you hate that kind of resort you will probably also not like cruises.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

post hole digger posted:

tell em lowtax sent ya

that deal's dead

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kenny Logins posted:

i am glad i got to try a cruise like 10 years ago. the david foster wallace essay on them is still uhhh devastatingly accurate.

My understanding of cruises, all-inclusive resorts, disneyland, etc is that you buy a ticket to a mall and everything is set up to get you to spend as much money as possible after they get you into the mall.

That just isn't for me, especially at this point where I've been enjoying myself without paying an admission fee for over two years now.

Our society is set up in such a way that if you aren't producing for the ruling class you'd better be consuming for them and deviating from that feels off. Like the only kind of acceptable socialization or entertainment happens for an admission fee on commercial real estate. It's depressing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cruises and other forms of at-scale guided tourism are bad in every single way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i can easily imagine all-inclusive with good kid activities is pretty good for families with youngish kids though, could also guess that that is the onramp for a lot of the elderly who go in for that sort of thing still.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'd love to go on one of those cruises to the arctic where they have professors onboard who give lectures and do day trips to look at polar bears and things like that. too bad they start in the 5-figure usd range

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the kkkcla$$$$$$ic kkkombo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the best vacation I’ve ever been on involved meandering around a beach town in SoCal and going to a seafood place for lunch/happy hour between napping on the beach and surfing

it fuckin ruled

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The operations behind the scenes on a cruise ship for unloading\restocking for each departure are INSANE

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

breadsticks with alfredo sauce lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

if you're the kind of person who likes all inclusive resorts you're probably also going to like cruises. if you hate that kind of resort you will probably also not like cruises.

i enjoyed the all-inclusive resort I was at many years ago when I was still a kid, but I've never been on a cruise because it never appealed in the first place and then the david foster wallace article made me never want to try one.

I could see all-inclusive being decent still if it made it super easy to grab food and drink whenever in between leaving the resort to go do poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
never get on the boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

post hole digger posted: