Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the real question is how they can possibly write it in a way that doesn't require doing all the shb role quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I know that for me Unukalhai and Cyella came up in 6.1's story but for a friend of mine who didn't do practically any side content they weren't mentioned at all, so they're thinking about it at least.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

They’re probably just trying to move away from having major plot and story stuff hidden away behind optional content that requires even more optional content to unlock. There’s no reason something as potentially big as restoring the 13th should have to be relegated to very optional side quests just because that’s where it was introduced. They already routinely change dialogue or have additional scenes depending on what content you’ve done, I don’t see why this would be any different if they do decide to make the Void a big part of the MSQ.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it would be funny if diablos showed up in the MSQ and they had to write 6 different variations on the scene depending on how many times you've killed him before

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just assume people did the triad quests and the extra stuff in ShB. Some of the timeline stuff doesn't work anyways, like doing HW before ARR dragoon, so just put in Unukhalhai and Cylva and run with it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just assume people did the triad quests and the extra stuff in ShB. Some of the timeline stuff doesn't work anyways, like doing HW before ARR dragoon, so just put in Unukhalhai and Cylva and run with it.

Yeah, I think they should basically do this and not worry too much about it people have done all the related side content. Otherwise it'll either up restricting what can be put in the MSQ or end up requiring a bunch of other optional things to unlock it. They put a ton of Omega related stuff in EW regardless of if you did the raids or not. If you didn't do the raids, you didn't get the full picture and all the details but it was still cool and the raids are right there if you want to learn more.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah. If it's so important or missing such the backstory leaves an egregious hole, just make them mandatory like they did with CT. Obviously not going to happen for the role quest stuff, but you could hammer out the triad or Omega in an afternoon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it'll probably end up being kind of lame for players who did warring triad but not the shb role quests, but it's probably fine

if I had to guess, it'll be something like

player hasn't done anything
Y'shtola: now that we've tested our planar portals with the first, let's get to work restoring the void
Cylva and Unulkuhai: I couldn't help but overhear

player has done the warring triad only
Y'shtola: now that we've tested our planar portals with the first, let's get to work restoring the void
Unulkuhai: I couldn't help but overhear. Also I'm on the first now, somehow

player has done shb role quests only
Y'shtola: now that we've tested our planar portals with the first, let's get to work restoring the void. Let's ask Cylva for help
Cylva: I'd love to help. Also let me introduce you to Unulkuhai

player has done everything
Y'shtola: now that we've tested our planar portals with the first, let's get to work restoring the void. Let's ask Cylva and Unulkuhai for help
Cylva and Unulkuhai: We'd love to help

It's like, kind of lame? but works about as well as Estinien.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait how does the SHB role quest go if you haven't done Warring Triad? Or do you need to do them to start the capstone?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait how does the SHB role quest go if you haven't done Warring Triad? Or do you need to do them to start the capstone?

The Warring Triad is a prereq for the ShB capstone quest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's two stages to the capstone quests. In the first one, you find out who Cylva is. In the second, you bring Unulkuhai over. Only the second requires the warring triad, I believe

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests. It's been awhile but isn't the quest just Cylva going oh you've killed the virtues come solve this final mystery and the role npc's barely play into it at all from there other than a funny cutscene where they party? Seems easy enough to split off into it's own thing if necessary.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Hermes: We should improve Elpis somewhat
Emet-Selch: And yet you participate in Elpis, curious! I'm very smart
Meteion: dad what's twitter

Emet-Selch: We should improve our chances of survival somewhat
Hermes: And yet you kill other species, curious! I'm very smart.
Meteion: lmao ratiod

WoL: We should increase the amount of hope somewhat
Meteion: I agree
Zenos: A TEST OF YOUR REFLEXES

Jetrauben posted:

He comes off, to me, as highly sympathetic when not at his actual worst, but he doesn't really try to understand anyone who isn't himself or just like him. The idea that his fellows might feel bad but that it isn't overruling their sense of hope, or that they grapple with similar concerns (as we know they do) is utterly foreign to him. He makes no effort to understand them or consider their perspective.

White isn't the color of hope for the Elpis flower, it's their null state. It's why he makes a big point about how the flowers always stay a perfect and pure white around his fellow researchers.

It's why people make a big point of Hyth having you kill some some butterflies to craft you a nice set of clothes. It's not that how could precious Hyth kill a butterfly, it's that he can't view it as anything other than a purely mechanical process. Hyth is stunned that a place which regularly wipes out whole species would use the phrase "to die". Even Emet-Selch, when Hermes runs off with Meteion, asks if his precious answers will make him more comfortable with reducing creatures to their base aether. Not comfortable with killing them, just reducing them to their base aether.

This poo poo just really does not click for the ancients.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 6, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I did Warring Triad but not the final ShB role quest so when talking about the Void Unulkuhai came up and Cylva did not

I expect they will be occasional optinal mentions from here on with maybe another optional quest involving them when the patches are done with the Thirteenth. They might come up but I doubt they are going to be featured main characters for a variety of reasons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Cylva's a white-haired Elezen (or analogue.) She's 100% a main character in 7.0.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Failboattootoot posted:

I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests. It's been awhile but isn't the quest just Cylva going oh you've killed the virtues come solve this final mystery and the role npc's barely play into it at all from there other than a funny cutscene where they party? Seems easy enough to split off into it's own thing if necessary.

I think Cylva just wanted to make sure all of her friends were taken care of before doing the "death as redemption" thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
An arc about the void that doesn't have them as featured characters would be extremely dumb imo

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah like the ShB role quests end with a perfect team of 7 to do trusts with. It'd be weird if none of them, least of all the two people actually from the void, aren't part of the main cast.

Hell like some one else suggested they can just remove the requirement to do all four role quests, and just require only one. Let people go back in with NG+ if they want to see the full original version.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TGLT posted:

Hermes: We should improve Elpis somewhat
Emet-Selch: And yet you participate in Elpis, curious! I'm very smart
Meteion: dad what's twitter

Emet-Selch: We should improve our chances of survival somewhat
Hermes: And yet you kill other species, curious! I'm very smart.
Meteion: lmao ratiod

WoL: We should increase the amount of hope somewhat
Meteion: I agree
Zenos: A TEST OF YOUR REFLEXES

White isn't the color of hope for the Elpis flower, it's their null state. It's why he makes a big point about how the flowers always stay a perfect and pure white around his fellow researchers.

It's why people make a big point of Hyth having you kill some some butterflies to craft you a nice set of clothes. It's not that how could precious Hyth kill a butterfly, it's that he can't view it as anything other than a purely mechanical process. Hyth is stunned that a place which regularly wipes out whole species would use the phrase "to die". Even Emet-Selch, when Hermes runs off with Meteion, asks if his precious answers will make him more comfortable with reducing creatures to their base aether. Not comfortable with killing them, just reducing them to their base aether.

People should stop making the point about the butterflies because it’s ridiculous

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

An arc about the void that doesn't have them as featured characters would be extremely dumb imo

We're getting a side quest about Omega and the Omicrons instead of it being a featured part of the MSQ

I see no reason to expect different here

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Failboattootoot posted:

They also have a say in entrusting Team Ardbert's crystals with Cylva and also the kid from the magical dps role quest is involved heavily when you bring Unulkuhai over.

Just deal with it like they dealt with Estinien seems to be the best option.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

People should stop making the point about the butterflies because it’s ridiculous

The writers felt like it was worth bringing up twice, but alright there's the rest of that post. It's just a recurring thing in the Elpis branch of the story.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

We're getting a side quest about Omega and the Omicrons instead of it being a featured part of the MSQ

I see no reason to expect different here

yeah but they're already doing the void in the msq. they literally already started the arc.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

They also have a say in entrusting Team Ardbert's crystals with Cylva and also the kid from the magical dps role quest is involved heavily when you bring Unulkuhai over.

Just deal with it like they dealt with Estinien seems to be the best option.

They're already going into opening void portals in the EW MSQ on the Source, so they could possibly rewrite it so you find some stuff and help Unukalhai figure it out without Taynor's help.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

TGLT posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the white-rainbow hue of Elpis blooms is identified with hope when you conjure them in Ultima Thule, yes?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah but they're already doing the void in the msq. they literally already started the arc.

I don't think whatever happens with the Void in the MSQ is going to enquire either of those characters to be around, because they're not going to be around. They already straight-up don't get mentioned f you haven't touched either the Warring Triad or the ShB role quests, so clearly they're not vital.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it will be unspeakably lame if the msq about the void does not touch on the characters from the void once we get deeper into it

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the white-rainbow hue of Elpis blooms is identified with hope when you conjure them in Ultima Thule, yes?

That just demonstrated Ultima Thule was no longer a place of absolute despair since they don't immediately crumble to dust. Every other time there's a moment in the story of relief or hope the flower we're carrying responds by turning a different color. edit: Here's the Hermes line about the flowers always staying "pure and white".

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 6, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What I can see them doing is doing another "Void Quest" (since that's the specific name they gave to the "haul Unukalhai across the Rift" quest at the end of ShB and it'd be really weird if they came up with a new category of quest and then only ever do it the one time) after the Four Fiends trial series or whatever is done that'll tie a nice little bow on Unukalhai and Cyvia's stories

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

it will be unspeakably lame if the msq about the void does not touch on the characters from the void once we get deeper into it

The main argument against most of the First's Role Quest crew being our new party in 7.0 is that while Cylva is cool, a lot of them are just kinda...ok. Lue-Reeq is a good boy, I suppose, and Giott's got a funny schtick.

Plus it'd be another extremely male-dominated party.

TGLT posted:

That just demonstrated Ultima Thule was no longer a place of absolute despair since they don't immediately crumble to dust. Every other time there's a moment in the story of relief or hope the flower we're carrying responds by turning a different color. edit: Here's the Hermes line about the flowers always staying "pure and white".

Yeah, I got the impression that the flowers being "pure and white" is more about the general sense of purpose and optimism to the place, but I may be wrong.,

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also do we really need TWO archers?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
Honestly I do want Gaia and Ryne back, though, and Gaia in particular has both the Darkness theming and a history of controlling Voidsent while in Loghrif mode. Plus they're both due a plot-relevant timeskip age-up to fit with the Rydia references.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Better than the 0 we currently have

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly I do want Gaia and Ryne back, though, and Gaia in particular has both the Darkness theming and a history of controlling Voidsent while in Loghrif mode. Plus they're both due a plot-relevant timeskip age-up to fit with the Rydia references.

They can be the ones that show off the new jobs in 7.0.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know why people are assuming we're going to the Void in 7.0 when we're clearly going there like right now

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah, I got the impression that the flowers being "pure and white" is more about the general sense of purpose and optimism to the place, but I may be wrong.,

I mean when Krile goes to get the flower in the first place they're all just white, and every time they show up in a scene as a vibe check they're glowing a different color. It seems like their null state when there's not any one emotion dominating an area.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know why people are assuming we're going to the Void in 7.0 when we're clearly going there like right now

Primarily because this is supposed to be the start of an entire new story arc and we could get a really cool expansion theming from the Void and/or dealing with Void incursions? Making it just the 6.x plotline feels underbaked for an entire world.

TGLT posted:

I mean when Krile goes to get the flower in the first place they're all just white, and every time they show up in a scene as a vibe check they're glowing a different color. It seems like their null state when there's not any one emotion dominating an area.

Yeah but Labyrinthos as like, a place is absolutely dominated by the idea of hope for the future?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

Primarily because this is supposed to be the start of an entire new story arc and we could get a really cool expansion theming from the Void and/or dealing with Void incursions?

It's also equally possible we bang this out with some patch dungeons and a trial series

It would be very weird and not like this game to go to a place in patches and then also spend a whole expansion there, especially when "there" appears to just be a bunch of floating rocks in a void.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Having not completed the ShB capstone (just have tank left) and having done none of Omega this page has gone right over my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

TGLT posted:

It's why people make a big point of Hyth having you kill some some butterflies to craft you a nice set of clothes. It's not that how could precious Hyth kill a butterfly, it's that he can't view it as anything other than a purely mechanical process.

also the only reason you have to do it is because neither of them is willing to provide the small amount of aether necessary to just make the clothes outright; Emet straight up says he won't and Hyth just doesn't seem to want to; before he learns you don't know how to make a robe, he certainly thinks you can, even though everyone acknowledges your aether is unusually thin, so it seems like he only has you didn't the butterflies so he doesn't have to use any aether either.

e: and the only way the game gives you to respond to hythlodaeus are questions about the propriety of the whole thing and his response either way fully misses the import of your question. It's a very tone-setting moment.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 6, 2022