Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

from what I've read noom is like a dieting app that advises to get an eating disorder for all weight loss goals

Just go to gulag if you want to lose weight, it's not difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

It would be easier to collaborate if we moved the gulag spreadsheet to google docs

put it on the blockchain

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

spacemang_spliff posted:

from what I've read noom is like a dieting app that advises to get an eating disorder for all weight loss goals

like there was this whole big thread i saw on twitter of people that were like "I wanted to lose x lbs and it said to eat less than 1200 cal a day"
at least that would actually work, if followed.

not a particularly healthy diet, of course, but as long as you were getting non-caloric nutrients too? could be worse.

33-75% of recommended daily caloric intake isn't a crash diet the way the stereotypical sunflower seeds and ice cubes diet is

stringless has issued a correction as of 15:10 on May 10, 2022

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BonHair posted:

Just go to gulag if you want to lose weight, it's not difficult.

people don't want an exercise program that takes over their lives

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

like there was this whole big thread i saw on twitter of people that were like "I wanted to lose x lbs and it said to eat less than 1200 cal a day"

tbf it was only a matter of time befor Fishmech shattered their fleshy chains and ascended into cyberspace as a lovely AI

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
How are all these bots not just responding with "I'm happy for you or sorry that happened."

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

FFT posted:

at least that would actually work, if followed.

not a particularly healthy diet, of course, but as long as you were getting non-caloric nutrients too? could be worse.

33-75% of recommended daily caloric intake isn't a crash diet the way the stereotypical sunflower seeds and ice cubes diet is

yeah but like it advertises itself as being like different with no crash diets and it's supposed to be like permanent diet changes you can do without too much pain

i mean yeah eating that little is fine for a short term but like I don't see how that would work as a lifestyle change

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

poemdexter posted:

How are all these bots not just responding with "I'm happy for you or sorry that happened."

They do random "uh huh" and "man that's crazy" style responses if the cloud server cannot be reached

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but like it advertises itself as being like different with no crash diets and it's supposed to be like permanent diet changes you can do without too much pain

i mean yeah eating that little is fine for a short term but like I don't see how that would work as a lifestyle change
ehhh, the permanent diet change is "i don't need to consume so much" moreso than "starvation diet only" probably

probably

i'm not familiar enough with the app to make hard claims about it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Marenghi posted:

Does better help connect you with real shrinks? The ads gave me the impression it was gig workers you'd be talking to.

Crowdsourcing support for vulnerable people is the perfect way to either organically or deliberately grow a paramilitary willing to commit suicide attacks so it's v cool that this is apparently a thing

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

spacemang_spliff posted:

can't argue with results

sometimes if i find my weight creeping up i might do a week or 2 of just cutting my caloric intake in half so I'm basically always just a little bit hungry

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zokari posted:

lol this is cartoonishly evil

What cartoon villain would be this nakedly evil?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How about an app with a really cutesy bowl of rice cartoon macot that tells you to eat a diet that's nothing but thoroughly washed unenriched white rice

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
https://twitter.com/wspd6pio/status/1523736887562698753

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

How about an app with a really cutesy bowl of rice cartoon macot that tells you to eat a diet that's nothing but thoroughly washed unenriched white rice

We’ll name it Ricn

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
is ricin made of rice

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

indigi posted:

is ricin made of rice

I love ricin beans

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Goons aghast at the idea of eating slightly less food than normal

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

tbf it was only a matter of time befor Fishmech shattered their fleshy chains and ascended into cyberspace as a lovely AI

That was stymie not fishmech

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Huh, like bats or whales

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Boywhiz88 posted:

We’ll name it Ricn
I was gonna suggest "Berryberry"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah why not

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dolly Parton Pizza Hut Musical is some kind of half remembered 30 Rock joke but I'd definitely watch it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

His Purple Majesty posted:

Goons aghast at the idea of eating slightly less food than normal

I wouldn't call it "normal"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
1200 cals per day is a very small amount of food. you'll be hungry all day. i guess it'd be manageable if you don't do any exercise and drink coffee to suppress your appetite

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's a reasonable weight loss plan for a short woman who doesn't want to exercise, but not for a larger or more active person. Of course, usually the key to lasting weight loss is finding healthier habits that you still enjoy, not occasionally eating at a big deficit.

Chamale has issued a correction as of 00:40 on May 11, 2022

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ikanreed posted:

What cartoon villain would be this nakedly evil?

it is the kind of evil that most people would roll their eyes at in a dystopian sci fi

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Chamale posted:

It's a reasonable weight loss plan for a short woman who doesn't want to exercise, but not for a larger or more active person. Of course, usually the key to lasting weight loss is finding healthier habits that you still enjoy, not occasionally eating at a big deficit.

This is why I actually like the approach weight watchers uses. Everything is points based bit you sacrifice points to eat junk. Eat good veg dishes all day and be full all day, or make a choice to use some points to indulge and be hungrier. Seems to really train you towards moderation and appreciating healthier options. The subscription model is dumb, but the approach seems a lot healthier and more humane than many other alternatives.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

That was stymie not fishmech

Dang I waffled then guessed the wrong pedant

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I discovered that they have a new m&m flavor called crunchy cookie and it tastes just like m&m-sized twix, how many weight watchers points is a fistful of those

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Casey Finnigan posted:

1200 cals per day is a very small amount of food. you'll be hungry all day. i guess it'd be manageable if you don't do any exercise and drink coffee to suppress your appetite

It's around the smallest amount you can eat to remain healthy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:psyduck:

Uhaul will rent you a tow carriage to pull behind the truck!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

PostNouveau posted:

You also have to rent the bigger truck that can pull that thing though

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

when Thanos snapped his fingers it should have just killed all landlords across the galaxy that would have done way more to balance out resource use

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

PostNouveau posted:

that costs more

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Shear Modulus posted:

I discovered that they have a new m&m flavor called crunchy cookie and it tastes just like m&m-sized twix, how many weight watchers points is a fistful of those

Hmmm sounds like a cheat day

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's around the smallest amount you can eat to remain healthy.

i can eat way less than that and be healthy by simply making up the difference by drinking a lot of beer

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

beer has calories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

But you don't eat beer