Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

yeah its funny but crypto is literally a cult. its not 100% their fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

synapse posted:

don't give a poo poo about the active participants in the grift but there's a lot of people the government failed to protect. This trash was all over the superbowl. Should've been illegal.

The people who could tell crypto was a scam wisely invested their money in sports gambling instead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're surprised at xenophobia from a European? powerlifter?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

C-Euro posted:

Man I was just coming here to post about these dumb diapers and now I'm sad
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1524477218705100802?t=UwiuQNxu9-cJ7YGuQEKU0A&s=19

50% of the current spending in America is done by the top 30%.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And now BTC is heading towards $27k :stare:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I wish I hadn't unfollowed the crypto goon who threatened to kill elon musk's child.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://twitter.com/_DYCETHEKING/status/1522621376565288961?t=wkrJYOGhsH0ul_6gJsFBqA&s=19

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

The people who could tell crypto was a scam wisely invested their money in sports gambling instead

yes and i am up bigly. please give me another promotion to come back to your stupid app i wont make +EV bets and immediately leave to the next app haha.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol, as if they have family members who still talk to them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
chuckling to myself as i remember that stonks, crypto, and the value of a dollar are all cratering

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

BTC is under 29k! :woop:

:sickos:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t know if there’s a popular mandate for fascism though.

example: most people don’t want abortion banned but it’s happening anyway because a powerful small group has seized effective power.

You are literally, literally describing fascism. There has never been a society where fascism had broad, popular support from the onset -- it was a small group that seized power and held onto it long enough for the mushy middle to shrug and go along with it. It took years for the Nazis to transform Germany into the images we see in our history textbooks.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

there is a lot of fascism and capital powers want fascism.

I don’t know if there’s a popular mandate for fascism though.

example: most people don’t want abortion banned but it’s happening anyway because a powerful small group has seized effective power.

counter example: things suck

It doesn't matter if there is a popular mandate or not. The Nazis never got more than like 1/3 of the vote before they took over and banned every other party. Do you think 33% of people in the US are raving fascists by this point? I sure do

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You're surprised at xenophobia from a European powerlifter?

the vegan thing and the pride flags caused a lapse in judgement. I hereby resolve to assume that every White-passing Euro is racist as hell until decisively proven otherwise.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

skooma512 posted:

This country is primed for revolution.

A fascist revolution. There is a popular mandate for fascism in the United States. Reactionary politics have guided its foreign policy for the last century, and happily installed far-right dictators whereever it could. It was a de jure apartheid state until 1964, still within living memory. During WW2, US troops would get into fights with people from European allies because they wanted to implement segregation wherever they went, even if that's just someone's pub. There was a plot to kill FDR and they didn't even try to arrest anyone. Massive surveillance state, police that are completely above the law, and a populace that accepts all of it.

yeah what’s coming isn’t a glorious people’s republic, not for a while if ever and first it’s gonna be really fash for as long as they can hang onto it and buddy they got an iron grip

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
if we're lucky poo poo will collapse into petty fiefdoms before america goes full fascism and starts nuking the planet

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol -93%

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
This is the new transistory
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1524481808611561472?t=roJc8mgDgaT0H2TbhThp8Q&s=19

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

dieeeeeeeeeee crypto trash

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

on a long enough timescale, its all transitory

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

if we're lucky poo poo will collapse into petty fiefdoms before america goes full fascism and starts nuking the planet

America collapsing into anything other than fascism is a standard we cannot possibly dream of meeting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

I don't think anyone posted this recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JITC1fo2HA so things can't be that bad yet.

well you just did

SELL SELL SELL SELL

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

smug jeebus posted:

So are we fighting an economic war with a country whose GDP is <10% of ours and losing? Is that accurate?

p sure n Vietnam was an even more shameful mismatch and that destroyed the gold standard

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

You are literally, literally describing fascism. There has never been a society where fascism had broad, popular support from the onset -- it was a small group that seized power and held onto it long enough for the mushy middle to shrug and go along with it. It took years for the Nazis to transform Germany into the images we see in our history textbooks.

I was literally, literally responding to the phrase popular mandate.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zokari posted:

This is what the latest Chapo episode was about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9yvWNkM13s

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 22:19 on May 11, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Recession chances are low but Fed Bullard says chances for depression are high

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

btw I do all my posting while wearing those alpaca and amber diapers and making GBS threads everywhere because I love brands and america and capitalism

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

btw I do all my posting while wearing those alpaca and amber diapers and making GBS threads everywhere because I love brands and america and capitalism

im p jealous

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/mccainenl/status/1279457618046697473

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

smug jeebus posted:

So are we fighting an economic war with a country whose GDP is <10% of ours and losing? Is that accurate?

gdp is fake and nobody even knows how to measure it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zokari posted:

Yeah it's way beyond the point where it was mostly insufferable bazinga techies getting into it. They ran commercials during the drat Superbowl. Millions of "regular Americans" (hapless runes) are involved at this point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

theres going to be a recession + mass layoffs like 08 i presume. a growing wave of unionization (that still needs to overcome decades of neoliberal rot) coupled with mass disillusionment of the two party system after Epic Trump + dems taking roe v wade out back and shooting it in the head could lead to people building some more robust, organized political responses than Occupy. who knows. theres still no workers' party in america and there hasnt been one in a century.

seems like a lot of steam that needs a nice, big piston.

that sounds like something indeed, but i wonder if it isn't just going to explode into a fart, without a machine to direct that fart into a shart. but, if these unionization initiatives can figure out a way to support each other and coordinate, you might be able to form some sort of a political initiative to bring about change, but as you say... without some sort of claim to represent a general movement of the working classes, there is no organization either.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_1932_German_federal_election

Less than one year later the Nazi's seized power. They held "elections" two months later that were monitored by the SS and they still didn't have a majority:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1933_German_federal_election

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NUMBER

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Fash number UP

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

gdp is a made up stat it doesn’t mean anything

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
wars dont give a poo poo about your GDP. especially your GDP based on service work, rent extraction, and tech.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lollontee posted:

that sounds like something indeed, but i wonder if it isn't just going to explode into a fart, without a machine to direct that fart into a shart.

Unions are the rear end cheeks of the proletariat.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_1932_German_federal_election

Less than one year later the Nazi's seized power. They held "elections" two months later that were monitored by the SS and they still didn't have a majority:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1933_German_federal_election

don't need a majority if you got the center and nationalist parties on your side (they always are)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Raskolnikov38 posted:

p sure n Vietnam was an even more shameful mismatch and that destroyed the gold standard

TIL de Gaulle also did a sucker punch in 65 on our gold reserves