Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jimmy also convinces Tuco to break the skateboard dudes legs, that's a crime.

:actually: he convinced him to spare their lives, thereby making him the greatest lawyer in the world!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
YouTube recommended me some BCS clips are per usual, and when the Nacho and Pryce scene came up from when Pryce went to see him alone in the big rear end hummer it occurred to me that Nacho's ended up dead while Pryce has eluded any criminal culpability from the authorities and as far as we know is still living a comfy life.

Even with how risky the life of someone involved with the cartel is, and how we never saw Nacho in BB, I don't think I would've taken the bet that Nacho was gonna eat it before Pryce at least went to jail for something.

Also, I think it's pretty hilarious that Saul was apparently going to keep seeing all his clients in his tiny Nail Salon office and lying about the whole situation, and seemingly is only moving into his new office now because he got kicked out of the old one.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
using BCS as a way to make overly-reductive and broad statements about posters and morality OR using overly-reductive and broad statements about posters and morality to talk about BCS?

my theory is that there is a mirror on the other side of the critical lens and the light bounces back through the lens once again to a detector around the source, the input from which causes the source to respond to by shooting more light

or 2 sources on opposite sides of the lens with 2 detectors.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 14, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm rewatching BrBa, and in 'Say My Name', in Season 5, Jesse asks Walt 'How many more people have to die because of us?'. Walt adamantly claims 'no one!'.

If you don't count the plane crash, there are arguably more people who die AFTER this moment than those who died since episode 1, because of Walt and Jesse. I don't count the cartel thing in Salud because that was Gus.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Had Skylar shown Walt their slightly smaller pile of cash earlier and if he cleaned up his bathroom literature soon after, there's a fair chance no one else would have died because of them.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Besides all the crime and OD deaths they are indirectly responsible for (but there is a lot of blame to go around)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Had Skylar shown Walt their slightly smaller pile of cash earlier and if he cleaned up his bathroom literature soon after, there's a fair chance no one else would have died because of them.

There still would've been three problems that would've eventually led to bloodshed:

-Jesse losing his composure and drawing attention to the operation
-Lydia wanting better meth than Declan or Todd can produce
-Mike's guys getting their pay confiscated and talking with the DEA

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 14, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

The lawyer flipping is what led to the prison killings. That would've still happened, right?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Probably true, I didn't go back to review the timeline before that statement. It's a good question about whether Jesse would've kept his cool had he not been under all his emotional duress.

Also, I just thought of a way Gene may get caught. If Walt is carrying his falsified ID at the end of of the finale, they could theoretically trace its sources, especially since the data is "legitimate" in records. Though in theory this could ruin Jesse's life in Alaska as well.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

oh jay posted:

Paranoid Gus at Pollos was soooo boring. Toothbrushing the bathtub later in the episode would have communicated how on edge he was all on its own.

that's just good housekeeping

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Neat, never saw king of the hill but it's good to know Hank doesn't stick overly rigidly to the gender norms despite his conservative nature. It's his house too after all, it makes sense he'd help keep it clean. It's just not something that crossed my mind on it's own. Without knowing much about him he just seemed that he'd be the type to believe in men's work and women's work.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

oh jay posted:

Paranoid Gus at Pollos was soooo boring. Toothbrushing the bathtub later in the episode would have communicated how on edge he was all on its own.

On the one hand it's a little on the nose, on the other hand it's the only bit of interesting characterization they've given him in six seasons.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gus is pretty boring and also I cannot understand why Mike keeps working for him. It makes zero sense as presented: it's implied it's because of professionalism but Gus consistently does bad poo poo to people who try to be professional with him too, and half-cocks his plans.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I like Mike, but I think they made him into too much of a Liam Neeson senior superman. His level of involvement with Gus and how much Gus relies on him is one of the lesser believable parts of the shows. Like who the heck was doing Mike's job before Mike?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It really makes me wish BCS was just an alternate universe or even just about a character inspired by Saul Goodman instead of the actual character. The Jimmy/Kim stuff is so good, but the Gus/BB prequel element is total dead weight, and to a degree Mike by extension. Gus might have had some gravity if he were introduced like, this episode, but he's been frowning slightly for years at this point.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

iamsosmrt posted:

I like Mike, but I think they made him into too much of a Liam Neeson senior superman. His level of involvement with Gus and how much Gus relies on him is one of the lesser believable parts of the shows. Like who the heck was doing Mike's job before Mike?

I do agree with this, but at the same time the Mike scenes (without Gus) are some of the most enjoyable to watch so I don't mind too much.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

dex_sda posted:

Gus is pretty boring and also I cannot understand why Mike keeps working for him. It makes zero sense as presented: it's implied it's because of professionalism but Gus consistently does bad poo poo to people who try to be professional with him too, and half-cocks his plans.
Gus has been such a huge pos through BCS that Mike's dutiful henchmanship has become kind of nauseating, I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for the predicted outcome of Gus getting a minor redemptive arc and earning Mike's respect.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

dex_sda posted:

Plus he’s exclusively all emotionless Gus from BB S4. There’s none of the surface friendliness he used in S2 or 3.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Neat, never saw king of the hill but it's good to know Hank doesn't stick overly rigidly to the gender norms despite his conservative nature. It's his house too after all, it makes sense he'd help keep it clean. It's just not something that crossed my mind on it's own. Without knowing much about him he just seemed that he'd be the type to believe in men's work and women's work.

King of the Hill actually does a pretty good job of subverting those kinds of expectations. Hank is generally presented as culturally sheltered but pretty open-minded after getting over initial culture shock. Peggy is the one who doubles down on regressive opinions and is presented as being shameful in the broad scope of things when that happens.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rochallor posted:

It really makes me wish BCS was just an alternate universe or even just about a character inspired by Saul Goodman instead of the actual character. The Jimmy/Kim stuff is so good, but the Gus/BB prequel element is total dead weight, and to a degree Mike by extension. Gus might have had some gravity if he were introduced like, this episode, but he's been frowning slightly for years at this point.

Yep, for as great as this show is, it's hard to deny that seasons 2-4 were "spinning wheels" a bit by constantly teasing Jimmy going full Saul mode and then walking it back, while also introducing Gus too soon only to spend half of each episode expanding on and explaining Breaking Bad lore that didn't really need to be seen. Gus himself has been such a drag in BCS for me, I'd love if we didn't spend any more seconds on watching him scowl and calculate in his head.

I won't deny that the Gus/Cartel side of the show has given it's share of fun and tense moments (Nacho and Lalo are great), but all the way through the end of season 5 this felt like two separate shows that occasionally intertwine. Even now, coming up on halfway through the final season, they still feel separated.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
without derailing the thread too much hank does have some weird views on masculinity but theyre mostly centered around bobby. whats important though is even despite all this hank genuinely loves bobby very deeply and is always looking out for bobby, in his own way. i think whats made stuff like the goode family way less, uh, good is mike judge forgot the love aspect that really made king of the hill believable and human so instead we get this vicious show that only has contempt for its characters

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

lurker2006 posted:

Gus has been such a huge pos through BCS that Mike's dutiful henchmanship has become kind of nauseating, I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for the predicted outcome of Gus getting a minor redemptive arc and earning Mike's respect.

Yeah, I can't recall, did they specify what Gus' hook with Mike is in this series? I'm sure there's a lot of money involved, but the extent and magnitude of Mike's duties is pretty incredible, especially considering how much risk and crime Mike's sinking further into.

Have they even played up Gus' charitable public personality in BCS? It seems like they're riding on everything you'd remember from his BB appearances but if you're coming in cold, this probably wouldn't resonate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hemp Knight posted:

Plus he’s exclusively all emotionless Gus from BB S4. There’s none of the surface friendliness he used in S2 or 3.

This is definitely a problem. Gus's friendly facade makes a great contrast with the couple scenes in Breaking Bad where he personally murders someone. But lately it's been all killing machine and no friendly chicken man.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

without derailing the thread too much hank does have some weird views on masculinity but theyre mostly centered around bobby. whats important though is even despite all this hank genuinely loves bobby very deeply and is always looking out for bobby, in his own way. i think whats made stuff like the goode family way less, uh, good is mike judge forgot the love aspect that really made king of the hill believable and human so instead we get this vicious show that only has contempt for its characters

I thought you were talking about Breaking Bad Hank and I was thinking who the gently caress is this Bobby he is always looking out for.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gus was somewhat personable around Gale (in Gale's lab) and when he was showing off the Spice Curls. Plus literally any time he's at the restaurant, minus when he's sweating Lyle over dirt that's not there.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I recently came across this and had never seen it before:

Snow Globe: A Breaking Bad Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5hU56vJewo

I wonder if Todd will show up in BCS. Or Lydia again.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I love dollar store matt damon

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Annabel Pee posted:

I thought you were talking about Breaking Bad Hank and I was thinking who the gently caress is this Bobby he is always looking out for.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zogo posted:

I recently came across this and had never seen it before:

Snow Globe: A Breaking Bad Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5hU56vJewo

I wonder if Todd will show up in BCS. Or Lydia again.
Lydia may show up again

I can't imagine Todd would. It made sense for El Camino, but not BCS. Plus that actor is usually very busy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They should work Jimmy from the Mick (can't be arsed to remember the name of his El Camino character) into the story somehow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lydia may show up again

I can't imagine Todd would. It made sense for El Camino, but not BCS. Plus that actor is usually very busy.

Jesse Plemons is somehow arguably the most successful alumnus of Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad, which is insane.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

it might actually be Gincarlo Esposito, but he's typecast to hell.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Plemons has worked with Paul Thomas Anderson and Jane Campion and got an Oscar nomination. He's the lead in the next Scorsese movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. Far Cry 6 is not comparable!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tangental to BCS, but Chuck McGill rides again: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/this-is-spinal-tap-sequel-rob-reiner-michael-mckean-1235265523/.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Plemons has worked with Paul Thomas Anderson and Jane Campion and got an Oscar nomination. He's the lead in the next Scorsese movie with Leonardo DiCaprio in it. Far Cry 6 is not comparable!

poo poo and Scorsese too. His role in Dog Power sucked though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's also tremendous in Judas and the Black Messiah. And Fargo which lead to him marrying Kirsten Dunst. Just a series of huge Ws for Landry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Okay but have you considered Esposito was in The Get Down! And Revolution!?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think Plemons has a way to go to beat Cranston as the most successful Breaking Bad cast member, but he's making big headway. Some of that is my own bias though, like if I knew Plemons was in a big-deal Broadway play I'd certainly be down to see it; meanwhile I'm still envious as hell of anyone who get to see Cranston performing in the Network play live because that thing looked sick as hell from the little advertisements I saw promoting it.

Plemons was absolutely the bomb in Fargo though, and has continued to be a very solid actor. If he keeps up the current pace and picks up a few notable award wins then I could absolutely picture him in about 10 years as being seen as the most successful actor from BB, and maybe even the most talented overall (though stuff like that is always subjective).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Idk anything about theater but Cranston's screen career post-BB has been bleak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

But he starred in Oscar Nominated movie Trumbo