Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wilekat posted:

Magma Barrier

50% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage
25% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage
30% increased Fire Damage
+40% to Fire Resistance
25% additional Physical Damage Reduction
Surrounded by a Magma Barrier that takes 90% of Damage from Hits up to a fixed amount
When the Magma Barrier is depleted it explodes for massive Fire Damage
Barrier returns 10 seconds after exploding
Periodically spawns Fire Volatiles that chase players (9 second cooldown)

I imagine that explode probably scales in some ludicrous ways

i like how just one archnem mod is more mods than a corrupted essence mob typically had, then with a spell and sometimes minions or an aura for good measure. maybe I'm stupid but it seems like even a 2 mod new rare would be, just in terms of mods that it gets, like 10x stronger than any rare from before. why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

i like how just one archnem mod is more mods than a corrupted essence mob typically had, then with a spell and sometimes minions or an aura for good measure. maybe I'm stupid but it seems like even a 2 mod new rare would be, just in terms of mods that it gets, like 10x stronger than any rare from before. why?

Because rares might as well not have existed and ggg wanted them to be difficult

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TheRat posted:

Because rares might as well not have existed and ggg wanted them to be difficult

i wish they gave them the interesting abilities/damage potential but didn't scale the life up so high. the build diversity/meta gets boring when you just categorically need x million dps to engage with mechanics in a reasonable amount of time. Previously there were less damage-spongey mechanics that you could do on less zoomer optimised builds that still were profitable if you wanted to build around other things, but now it's just archnemesis mods in every single mechanic in the game

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 16, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Wilekat posted:

I think as RF the two wildcards that really roadblock me a little with bad gear (other than Invuln obviously) are Flameweaver and Incendiary simply because they add a boatload of fire resistance (+50%/+10% max and +75% respectively) to the mob.
Doesn't rejuvenating whack you too since it periodically shuts off all regen?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i wish they gave them the interesting abilities/damage potential but didn't scale the life up so high. the build diversity/meta gets boring when you just categorically need x million dps to engage with mechanics in a reasonable amount of time. Previously there were less damage-spongey mechanics that you could do on less zoomer optimised builds that still were profitable if you wanted to build around other things, but now it's just archnemesis mods in every single mechanic in the game
Beyond the flat life total there's also stuff like being immune to shock or chill, taking massively less damage from ignites, taking zero bonus damage from crits, having ginormous resistances to something, etc etc etc. On their own stuff like that can just be situationally not worth fighting depending on what you're using, but mix it with some unlucky damage mods and oooh boy.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
The archnem mods should be classified as defensive, offensive, and utility (mana siphon, trickster, etc the stuff that’s not just stats). Magic packs should only spawn with utility or offensive mods. Rares should spawn with a utility mod and max one of each kind. Archnem mods should be altered to only fit in one of the groups

Thats just my take on it

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Also they gave trickster an ice wall?? The enemy, not the shithouse ascendency

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also why does it call it Stormweaver etc instead of just listing the mods like before lol. they had to post the deets on Reddit because absolutely nobody had any idea about these. like i just knew the elemental mods too less damage from that element and had a bunch of extra life. i didn't realize they got max res and were ailment immune and had a bunch of extra damage on top of it.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

TheRat posted:

Now they might we well not exist because you just run by them if they're difficult!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

also why does it call it Stormweaver etc instead of just listing the mods like before lol.

Because once you know what a stormweaver is you see the name or the visual cue and you know, rather than having to hover over the nameplate and quickly read 79 different mods while trying not to die.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

TheRat posted:

Because once you know what a stormweaver is you see the name or the visual cue and you know, rather than having to hover over the nameplate and quickly read 79 different mods while trying not to die.

This might be true if it wasn’t 76 different keywords, which got changed several times since their first implementation

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You don't have to remember every single one, just the scary poo poo which is how it was before. Except now there's less mods on a rare and they're color coded.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Arzachel posted:

You don't have to remember every single one, just the scary poo poo which is how it was before. Except now there's less mods on a rare and they're color coded.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shock to the system now but it's a fantastic change in the long run imo.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Drakyn posted:

Doesn't rejuvenating whack you too since it periodically shuts off all regen?

That would... explain a few things :v:

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Arzachel posted:

The scary ones are invisible and mousing over mobs isn’t a feasible thing given the visual clarity of poe. The visible mods are good, even though theres too many. The invisible mods are bad.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wilekat posted:

That would... explain a few things :v:

I don't entirely understand how rejuv works. Ive had it many times on RF but it doesnt seem to kill me, rather it seems to stop me from increasing my hp from the current value?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to mention that even white mobs in the campaign are usually fast as poo poo, except for the really slow ones like zombies and crabs. So when map mods or mechanics or rare mods come into play, you aren't reading poo poo unless you're dead anyway. In which case you might as well just give me the paragraph so I don't have to go to the drat wiki. I would prefer 'extra fire damage, resists fire, Molten Shell, Summons Minions'

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

I don't entirely understand how rejuv works. Ive had it many times on RF but it doesnt seem to kill me, rather it seems to stop me from increasing my hp from the current value?

Rejuvenating

Regenerate 2% of Life per second
20% increased maximum Life
Periodically casts a Healing Nova that causes nearby allies to regenerate 50% of life over 2 seconds as well as preventing players from recovering Life or Energy Shield (8 second cooldown, 5 second global cooldown)
Healing Nova does not affect itself

Two? seconds of disabled regen when it goes off. I apparently never read the whole text block before and missed it appended at the end. It won't kill me that often, but I have certainly had a few times where it has probably let me get burst down in one of those short windows where the regen would have saved me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i truly don't get what the gently caress they're thinking if they really want people to have to mouse over every rare pack because that's an entirely different game from poe and it already exists and they've had all their success up to this point specifically not being that game and imo they should continue that.

POE is just fundamentally way too fast of a game to interact with individual rares on that level, or even visually inspecting each rare as it spawns. Like multiple league mechanics dump from 5 to as many as dozens of rares on you in a matter of seconds (eg legion, abyss, expedition, beyond, blight, harbinger, harvest, ultimatum and so on are all fundamentally incompatible with that slowed down approach to rare mobs.

Moving in that direction is dumb as hell because they've already got a game people love and if people wanted the 'inspect every rare pack' experience those games, then they would be playing those games, which they are not.

E: sentinel is good though

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 16, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wilekat posted:

Rejuvenating

Periodically casts a Healing Nova that causes nearby allies to regenerate 50% of life over 2 seconds as well as preventing players from recovering Life or Energy Shield (8 second cooldown, 5 second global cooldown)

Two? seconds of disabled regen when it goes off. I apparently never read the whole text block before and missed it appended at the end. It won't kill me that often, but I have certainly had a few times where it has probably let me get burst down in one of those short windows where the regen would have saved me

But two seconds of completely disabled regen would turbofuck my hp at my current levels of mitigation, and it just doesnt.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Agree with all those complaining about Metamorphs. They have ridiculous amounts of health, and EA is a build that tends to have a pretty easy time with them since I can drop my totems and debuffs, and move to safety while I wait for it to die.

The Sentinel mechanic itself is a lot better than I was expecting. It is simple, not intrusive, the little bit of micromanaging you need to do happens every few maps back in your hideout. As soon as you are ready you tell your little robot buddy to pump it up, and get rewarded. It is a shame the archnemesis mods being made a core part of the game was so poorly thought out. The league mechanic clearly didn't take a lot of dev time, and there were no balance changes (which we now know why), so I find it strange that in 3 months GGG would ship such an untested revision to the entire game.

I can only imagine what high level heists look like, and unique heist contracts will basically be their own uber content.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Did you know you can activate the sentinel in the last round of Izaro in labs, healing him to full and buffing him? Did you know I'm probably going to pop the f keys off of my keyboard so I don't do that again?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

an iksar marauder posted:

The scary ones are invisible and mousing over mobs isn’t a feasible thing given the visual clarity of poe. The visible mods are good, even though theres too many. The invisible mods are bad.

You mean invisible as in a single mod having multiple components?

I think having stronger individual rares is a good change even if the balance is wonky right now, as long as they go back and trim back the rare spam from previous league mechanics.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Wilekat posted:

Rejuvenating

Here's the rest as of yesterday, for reference. It's well worth picking over, there's a lot of weird effects mods have that aren't exactly obvious.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Arzachel posted:

I think having stronger individual rares is a good change even if the balance is wonky right now, as long as they go back and trim back the rare spam from previous league mechanics.

I agree. I think this is a fantastic change once they get the tuning right.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

TyrantWD posted:

The league mechanic clearly didn't take a lot of dev time, and there were no balance changes (which we now know why), so I find it strange that in 3 months GGG would ship such an untested revision to the entire game.

Here's hoping 3.19 is poe 2!! It's probably just one angry guy doing the current league. All the other angry guys are on the big project.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

TheRat posted:

But two seconds of completely disabled regen would turbofuck my hp at my current levels of mitigation, and it just doesnt.

So I think the thing here is that it prevents you from recovering life, so the regen that counteracts RF still works, since you never actually recover that life.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Arzachel posted:

I mean invisible as in not having a clear visual sign that a monster has a certain mod on it. Ice prison is clear. Mana siphon is clear. Steel infused is not. Bone breaker is not. Gargantuan is not if it spawns on small mobs like those little worms or rats.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
They need to delete at least half of the mods. No one's ever going to loving remember what 30+ individual things do, and telling people "wEll yOu jUsT hAVe tO rEmEMbEr thE dANgeRoUs oNEs!!!!" is asinine.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nephrite posted:

They need to delete at least half of the mods. No one's ever going to loving remember what 30+ individual things do, and telling people "wEll yOu jUsT hAVe tO rEmEMbEr thE dANgeRoUs oNEs!!!!" is asinine.

No it isn't. You'll quickly remember what you want/need to avoid, and this system makes that much easier to spot at a glance

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

an iksar marauder posted:

I mean invisible as in not having a clear visual sign that a monster has a certain mod on it. Ice prison is clear. Mana siphon is clear. Steel infused is not. Bone breaker is not. Gargantuan is not if it spawns on small mobs like those little worms or rats.

Steel infused has that gray shield thing pop up every time you hit them, doesn't it? Some of the mods definitely should have more noticeable visual effects though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Arzachel posted:

Steel infused has that gray shield thing pop up every time you hit them, doesn't it? Some of the mods definitely should have more noticeable visual effects though.

No, that's Sentinel.

quote:

Sentinel
50% chance to Block Attack Damage
50% chance to Block Spell Damage
+10% to maximum Chance to Block Attack Damage
+10% to maximum Chance to Block Spell Damage
Triggers a Delayed Reckoning when Hit (1.5 second Cooldown)

Related to mod chat, from way way way way back when:

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1524141599319785472

At least this will help with one of the challenges :geno:

This post aged well :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, mana leech aura is particularly stupid. any non-lifetap short range build running around with 90% reserved is basically 100% hosed because enduring mana potion can't ever overpower it lmao

it wasn't a huge deal when you had to choose it to gently caress yourself over, but it's insanely annoying running through one of the more confined maps and oops suddenly none of my skills exist

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arzachel posted:

not because rares were overtuned for a bit.

It's pretty obvious that was a huge part of it.

That said, when I looked at steam and twitch numbers, I dunno, didn't seem that drastic to me. I just felt that the guild was less hopping.

boredsatellite posted:

I would love to see the death numbers of people dying during acts of this league compared to last league's

Last league, I did all 40 challenges, and played for like 2 months. 201 deaths. I did all content myself, no carries.

This league, 211 deaths so far. I just hit 80 last night, breaking into yellow maps.

So much of the player experience varies on "did you pick a meta build" or not too - I suspect lots of people on the "aww reddit cried and ruined the hard mob fun!" picked OP ranged meta builds, but that's just a guess.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i truly don't get what the gently caress they're thinking if they really want people to have to mouse over every rare pack

Making the rares more interesting is something, in theory, I can get behind. But having 80 titles, all almost having 4+ individual mods...it's just excessive. It has made everything more obtuse, and it's more deadly, so you have even less time to try to figure out what's coming at you.

Hell, I can't even take time to read actual league mechanics because of constantly being offscreened by random poo poo, much less read a rare/unique's mob attributes.

Drakyn posted:

there's a lot of weird effects mods have that aren't exactly obvious.

Yeah, like...how the hell was anyone supposed to be able to tell that mana siphon is donut shaped? Even if it the game didn't have major visual clarity issues, that spell effect in general just isn't clear at all about it. Not to mention, poo poo's moving around so much, staying in it is tough, and even getting into the donut it is gonna drain me.

External Organs posted:

Here's hoping 3.19 is poe 2!! It's probably just one angry guy doing the current league. All the other angry guys are on the big project.

lol. I can picture him being forced to work 16 hour days and just hating every player. That said, POE 2 is still years away-ish, I think they just recently said during the league QA with Ziggy? January leagues have done really well for them for "big new content" as well, so my guess is Jan '24 is their current target.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

my biggest complaint remains how terribly positioned every area transition door is in acts relative to its position when you pull up the world map

i don't understand given the semi-random nature of the configuration of acts maps how people can get through the campaign in hours/days. even using flame dash to traverse levels as shortcuts, the actual process of moving through acts is an entirely unfun slog. areas like the chamber of sin that only exist to force you into them to unlock trials makes this problem even worse for me

...but cyclone is lmao levels of fun once it gets going. i'm used to playing glass cannony style builds and being able to actually tank some damage has made the game fun in a new way all over again

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFN2ArN4AJU

Real fun looking changes

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I'm really excited for my idiot lightning tendrils build to hit maps tonight. It is killing poo poo so fast, I love it. :black101:

I'm so happy controller support is in, it's great. I can trade poo poo again!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The answer is to always have the map overlay up, and leap slam everywhere ignoring any mobs in the maps. If you actually try to look at the screen during the campaign you have a bad time.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I generally listen to lightee/ben and steelmage in the background when mapping, and my only take away is that no one is gonna be doing uber content for a while. to me, this is a nice change because seeing these races be done in 3 days was kinda underwhelming.

idk how ziz is gonna do gauntlet though, lol

J
Jun 10, 2001

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So which are the go-to Atlas mods for starting out just trying to grind some value? I recall shrines and strongboxes being good last time.

Go to the block content nodes and just ban all the content you don't like. The 2 hotfix nerfs have helped rares feel a lot more reasonable, but content that generates lots of rares is still very sketchy. Definitely block metamorph and ritual. Read the tooltip for the content removal nodes - it will add spawn chance to some content that you may not have expected, like essences and strongboxes. I'd take the node for operative's strongboxes even without the guaranteed strongbox node, I'm finding strongboxes very regularly because I have a ton of content blocked. Stream of consciousness is really good, although be wary that it prevents you from using divine vessels to upgrade your pantheon so maybe do those first. At least until scarab availability gets better.

Expedition is a big winner this league. It was already one of the most profitable league mechanics, and it seems to interact favorably with sentinel. I had an expedition drop me 3 logbooks after hitting it with a sentinel, and in general I feel like I'm finding logbooks more regularly. Could be placebo, but my first impression of sentinel+expedition has been very positive. Rog has always been good, but he's even better now with recombinators. A lovely base item type with good mods from Rog can be recombinated to try and get the mods moved over to a good base. I'm probably going to be keeping all of the expedition nodes all league.

I'd be careful with the essence nodes, archnem rares with a bunch of essence mods are not gonna be fun until you've got big damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Zmej posted:

idk how ziz is gonna do gauntlet though, lol

Ziz did some insanely long streams, and I was listening to him some while playing (aka, dying). He said he's going to keep the gauntlet hard, if not make it more difficult. That was after the 2 nerfs.

Granted, he was sleep deprived.