Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah, twitter is going to do everything in their power (which here is considerably more than elon is used to facing) to make this deal happen.

this isn't paying a biglaw firm to make lin wood look dumb after you per se defame an actual hero. there are forty-four billion reasons why and they'll spend one of those billions in legal fees to ensure it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Nice! posted:

not everyone can plead that. a layperson can say "yeah, i didn't understand this" or "i just clicked accept" and have an argument they may win. a lawyer, on the other hand, cannot because they are expected to read contracts and understand them before agreeing. they have the specific knowledge.

in elon's case, he's ceo of multiple companies and claims to have hands on involvement with all contracts and such. regardless of how much of that is true or bullshit, there is no court in the world that would let him off on such an argument because he is a professional and is presumed to understand what he signs.

yeah it's extraordinarily unlikely an argument along those lines would actually prevail, but i don't see it happening either way because that would mean admitting he's both dumb and a lovely businessman, which may be true but he's certainly not going to admit it under penalty of perjury lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
matt levine made the fun point that while elon has general legal immunity, twitter still hold the card of banning his dumb rear end from twitter which would probably be a bigger blow to this mid-life crisis mess of a man baby than any legal and financial ramifications

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah it's extraordinarily unlikely an argument along those lines would actually prevail, but i don't see it happening either way because that would mean admitting he's both dumb and a lovely businessman, which may be true but he's certainly not going to admit it under penalty of perjury lol

even if he tried that, though, no court would buy it. he's not going to overcome the presumption that he understood the contract unless he can show that there was some sort of illegal coercion or something similar.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

not everyone can plead that. a layperson can say "yeah, i didn't understand this" or "i just clicked accept" and have an argument they may win. a lawyer, on the other hand, cannot because they are expected to read contracts and understand them before agreeing. they have the specific knowledge.

in elon's case, he's ceo of multiple companies and claims to have hands on involvement with all contracts and such. regardless of how much of that is true or bullshit, there is no court in the world that would let him off on such an argument because he is a professional and is presumed to understand what he signs.

otoh he could point to his tweets as evidence he's an idiot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Nice! posted:

even if he tried that, though, no court would buy it. he's not going to overcome the presumption that he understood the contract unless he can show that there was some sort of illegal coercion or something similar.

i'm completely in agreement with you here. it's just a reductive way of saying basically the same thing because a ton of people don't understand how this works

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fabricated posted:

Again, in what world do billionaires have to play by the rules

they have to play by the rules, it is just their own set of rules which we don't get access to.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FilthyImp posted:

Also I think he was suspiciously quiet about some friend of his that was accused of being a sex pest

yeah, there was some of that and some vague inside baseball nerd poo poo people complaining about problems working with him on projects iirc

otoh he also makes terrible gamers / sci fi / tesla fans mad so its impossible to say whether hes bad pr not

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

he got away clean from the Solar City lawsuit, despite all evidence showing him being very involved & conflicted despite claiming being recused from the process

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris Knight posted:

he got away clean from the Solar City lawsuit, despite all evidence showing him being very involved & conflicted despite claiming being recused from the process

quote:

Vice Chancellor Joseph R. Slights, who decided the case shortly before retiring, sided with Musk, writing: “Elon was more involved in the process than a conflicted fiduciary should be. And conflicts among other Tesla Board members were not completely neutralized. With that said, the Tesla Board meaningfully vetted the Acquisition, and Elon did not stand in its way.”

reading that made me lol.

this and solar city are two very different animals with very different arguments and vastly different sums of money and people involved.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

also i would be absolutely shocked if the solar city result isn't appealed. i don't think that litigation is over yet, either.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah they're not even broadly similar. one was a company he already had a vested interest in; twitter is just something required to keep up his tesla cult.

i think with the tweets deal

quote:

Elon did not stand in its way

is going to be an important distinction. lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

reading that made me lol.

this and solar city are two very different animals with very different arguments and vastly different sums of money and people involved.

more like

quote:

Vice Chancellor Joseph R. Slights, who decided the case shortly before retiring, sided with Musk, writing: “Elon was more involved in the process than a conflicted fiduciary should be. And conflicts among other Tesla Board members were not completely neutralized. With that said, elong is a billionaire and the courts hold no power over him and those like him.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i wonder what that judge is doing in retirement. i bet elon set him up with a really nice vacation.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol, finally my shoddy typing delivers something positive!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

no poo poo. I'm saying he'll get away with it because he always does.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1526548290770198528

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Nice! posted:

i wonder what that judge is doing in retirement. i bet elon set him up with a really nice vacation.

probably crashed into the courthouse "smart summoning" the quid pro quo tesla which then burst into flame, necessitating retirement

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1526314979863015425

read the full thread for why ol' Elon gonna get away with it again

ah well, nevertheless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kliras posted:

matt levine made the fun point that while elon has general legal immunity, twitter still hold the card of banning his dumb rear end from twitter which would probably be a bigger blow to this mid-life crisis mess of a man baby than any legal and financial ramifications

watch him appeal to the text of the agreement that says that he’s allowed to tweet about the agreement, therefore banning him is a breach on twitter’s part

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i'm the musky hair plugs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Platystemon posted:

watch him appeal to the text of the agreement that says that he’s allowed to tweet about the agreement, therefore banning him is a breach on twitter’s part

that sucks because twitter banning him would be the funniest possible outcome

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

musk is a texas resident, it's illegal to ban him from social media now that the judges allowed the social media law to go into effect

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duz posted:

musk is a texas resident, it's illegal to ban him from social media now that the judges allowed the social media law to go into effect

kinda hard to prove if you claim to be homeless imo

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

qirex posted:

that sucks because twitter banning him would be the funniest possible outcome

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

duz posted:

getting your case tried in texas as a rich person is probably pretty easy regardless. what's the name of that place they use again?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kliras posted:

getting your case tried in texas as a rich person is probably pretty easy regardless. what's the name of that place they use again?

southern district I think

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FAUXTON posted:

eastern

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAUXTON posted:

eastern, mostly for patents though. from wiki:

quote:

In 2015, a staggering 43.6% of federal patent suits (2,540 suits) were filed in the Eastern District, which was more than the number of lawsuits filed in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware (545 cases or 9.3%), the United States District Court for the Central District of California (300 cases or 5.1%), the United States District Court for the Northern District of California (228 cases or 3.9%) and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (162 cases or 2.8%) combined.

e:f,b but the context is good

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1526602003362750466?s=21&t=MfO5tKUpv3UPxxCi8QPW3A

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while i don't think elon can just casually walk away here i think the people imagining him getting held to very much are dreaming. even if twitter has all the law on its side and are willing to push it i think they go out of business (and/or we all die) long before the lawsuits trying to force it to happen would wrap up.

which is great, a fight between only awful people, because lol if you think i have any measure of love for twitter or twitter shareholders.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while i don't think elon can just casually walk away here i think the people imagining him getting held to very much are dreaming. even if twitter has all the law on its side and are willing to push it i think they go out of business (and/or we all die) long before the lawsuits trying to force it to happen would wrap up.

which is great, a fight between only awful people, because lol if you think i have any measure of love for twitter or twitter shareholders.

Him not getting it and Twitter dying is the best outcome. If he then also dies, even better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

he's loving dumb and childish, again. if the SEC does investigate they'll likely find the measure is true based on whatever metric twitter uses, which is absolutely fine by the SEC's rules

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
my pet theory is he's been trying to kill twitter entirely all along

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Beeftweeter posted:

he's loving dumb and childish, again. if the SEC does investigate they'll likely find the measure is true based on whatever metric twitter uses, which is absolutely fine by the SEC's rules

I hope they've blocked him.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean seriously there's a reason (especially big) companies get a loving army of lawyers and accountants to do their SEC filings and poo poo. melon thinking he's smarter than all of them combined is hilarious but not out of character for a sociopathic narcissist

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

he's south african trump. social media sites, even dead ones like ours, can't help but to amplify the garbage they spew out while they're on the shitter. only way to deal with them is to shut them out completely. twitter did our world a great justice by banning trump

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

“hi SEC I love you being being a toothless enforcement agency that looks the other way when it comes to my own fraud/market manipulation, but now I need you to do something for me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

gschmidl posted:

If he then also dies, even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kazinsal posted:

I think everyone kinda got tired of him after his stint as TV's Wil Wheaton! (tm) and his continous association with the bazinga show but to my knowledge he never actually did anything bad per se

he’s fine. it’s not his fault people remember him as from terrible TNG scripts. I liked him a lot in Stand By Me.