Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

otter posted:

It appears the tv is fine.
it was apparently from about a foot in the air and it was well packed in styrofoam.
Wife thinks the tv is blurry, but I don't see it. I suggested she put on her glasses but she KNOWS it's blurry. I mean, to some extent anything which isnt native resolution will be a little bit blurry when you blow it up to 75" right?

I put on Planet Earth and I think it's super sharp.

TVs use pixels that have clearly defined edges, so it's impossible for the display itself to be blurry. The video itself can be blurry or the processing can make it appear blurry, but there is no such thing as a blurry TV, and unless you're using an analog video signal for some reason, there's no such thing as a blurry signal either. Most TVs have a built-in calibration card that will be displayed losslessly at native resolution, so any defects are calibration or at the panel itself. Try that.

Fremry posted:

If I were you, I'd return it, even if it looks fine. You don't want something to go wrong in 60 days and find out you are poo poo out of luck because you didn't want to bother anyone by returning it.

But also this.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I am happy to report that with the latest firmware updates and the correct glasses, 3d works perfectly fine on the Anker 4k Cosmos laser. It's not quite as comfortable as it is on my LG C6, but it does work very will with virtually no crosstalk. I'm happy that I have a viable alternative to 3d if my C6 kicks the bucket.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

KillHour posted:

+ tax for the 77 inch

4,108 USD here, in a country that has no tax. loving monopolies, I swear. It's disgusting they can charge this amount and get away with it. How much does the 65 inch go for where you live?

I think I might cancel the order and just wait until '22 models come out and hope there's a big price drop.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

KillHour posted:

TVs use pixels that have clearly defined edges, so it's impossible for the display itself to be blurry. The video itself can be blurry or the processing can make it appear blurry, but there is no such thing as a blurry TV, and unless you're using an analog video signal for some reason, there's no such thing as a blurry signal either. Most TVs have a built-in calibration card that will be displayed losslessly at native resolution, so any defects are calibration or at the panel itself. Try that.

But also this.

She thinks the text is blurry. She got all pissy with me because I was asking her to clarify if to her the white of the text was bleeding out to the color surrounding or what.
After she left the room I turned off most of the image processing and that reduced the motion compensation. I think it looks great and the contrast is SUCH an improvement over our old 55" 2016 model year 4k vizio.
Sure it's not an oled, but it's a huge step up at a far lower price.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The TV was dropped, you have the option to replace it because of that, I don't get what else there is to examine about this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

4,108 USD here, in a country that has no tax. loving monopolies, I swear. It's disgusting they can charge this amount and get away with it. How much does the 65 inch go for where you live?

I think I might cancel the order and just wait until '22 models come out and hope there's a big price drop.

1700 on Amazon for the 65 and 1200 for the 55. Everywhere else is probably in the same ballpark. You could probably literally pay to buy one in a foreign country, have someone ship it, and pay import taxes for less than buying locally.

VelociBacon posted:

The TV was dropped, you have the option to replace it because of that, I don't get what else there is to examine about this.

Someone is about to get a great deal on an open box TV.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

VelociBacon posted:

it took over a month in order to get the one I have and they may do not have any in stock.
They did not offer her the option to swap it and she was so timid she just signed for it. You KNOW they will deny it ever happened if called on it.

I spent my entire lunch break trying to see what was "blurry" about the text and it turns out what she's complaining about is being able to see the pixelation in the letters.
I put on a blu ray for her, but of course I picked Hocus Pocus which is a film transfer from 1987ish. I don't have any actual 4k videos.

Maybe tonight I will hook up the xbox series X to that tv and find a legit 4k video for her to watch.
Any suggestions? Should show text at 4k for best effect.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Netflix?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

otter posted:

Maybe tonight I will hook up the xbox series X to that tv and find a legit 4k video for her to watch.

Open up YouTube and queue up any of the various Best 4k Dolby Vision Test videos, which of course, the YT app doesn't support.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

I am happy to report that with the latest firmware updates and the correct glasses, 3d works perfectly fine on the Anker 4k Cosmos laser. It's not quite as comfortable as it is on my LG C6, but it does work very will with virtually no crosstalk. I'm happy that I have a viable alternative to 3d if my C6 kicks the bucket.

Almost tempted to get it just because of this. Feel like my kids would go ape poo poo over the 3D.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

otter posted:

it took over a month in order to get the one I have and they may do not have any in stock.
They did not offer her the option to swap it and she was so timid she just signed for it. You KNOW they will deny it ever happened if called on it.

I spent my entire lunch break trying to see what was "blurry" about the text and it turns out what she's complaining about is being able to see the pixelation in the letters.
I put on a blu ray for her, but of course I picked Hocus Pocus which is a film transfer from 1987ish. I don't have any actual 4k videos.

This is the YouTube channel tv reviewers use:

https://youtube.com/c/JacobKatieSchwarz

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

my understanding of youtube and netflix is they both use adaptive rate so you might get true pure 4k bliss for a moment, but the next moment it might not be.
I might plug an antenna into it and see if I can pull a broadcast signal in better quality than comcast's super compressed-then-ran-through-the-tivo too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
YouTube is auto by default but you can force the resolution in the settings for the individual video.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
My dad who was an electronics technician passed away last year, and left behind a number of TVs. My mom still uses one that she's happy with and there's a really nice 4K OLED he got in 2019, and at least 3-4 other 4K TVs in unknown state of repair along with random parts that he was midway through either fixing to sell or I believe salvaging to replace the 4K OLED.

I've done some googling but couldn't quite find a good consensus on the viability of shipping a TV like this cross country. It has its original box and even receipt still, but this would be shipping in Canada from BC to ON.

Ive read some suggestions that shipping it is simply not a good idea because it just simply will get broken. But my mom isn't in any capacity still to sell it (even if I did all the work).

Given this TV is essentially "free" as a replacement for my existing one, what downsides are there to finding the most expensive and high insured shipping I can and using that? Obviously being naive here because I know nothing about shipping insurance but ostensibly if it breaks I'd eventually get some sort of reimbursement even if I have to jump a few hoops of bureacracy to claim it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be really welcome, thanks.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Just got a X90J delivered. Gorgeous PQ head on… but holy poo poo the reviews that criticized the viewing angle were spot on. I moved, like, a couch cushion over and it started to wash out. Even my wife who is not exactly likely to notice much in the way of fidelity (unlike me who is admittedly quite anal) criticized it without me saying anything.

Really a shame because I think the overall quality when you’re planted in the middle is pretty drat close to OLED for my money.

But I guess I have to hang up the attempts at VA panels. It’s either deal with a shittier IPS or bite the bullet and go to OLED which I don’t want to do with my kids who do not exactly baby the TV.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just pulled the trigger on a C1 65". Eep. Ideally would have been the C2, but enough of my watching is nights that the brightness increase wasn't worth the drat near extra grand.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i didn't even know lg had a G-series. anyone checked those out? worth the extra money over the C-series? it'll be quite sunny where i'm moving so the brightness might be worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
G series is for people with too much money. It's supposed to be a Gallery TV or whatever. It's also got the latest and greatest panel tech but totally not worth the price premium for us mere mortals.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

G series: it hits the spot.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

JohnCompany posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a C1 65". Eep. Ideally would have been the C2, but enough of my watching is nights that the brightness increase wasn't worth the drat near extra grand.

I watch my C1 in my living room with a giant window next to it. It’s plenty bright enough and absolutely the better use of money than the C2.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Fremry posted:

I watch my C1 in my living room with a giant window next to it. It’s plenty bright enough and absolutely the better use of money than the C2.

I've been discovering that tonight. It's FANTASTIC.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pulled the trigger on that TCL 6 series a few weeks ago, and I don't know how you OLED people do it, even on the darkest or next to darkest backlight setting I still feel like my retinas are being cauterized.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Winifred Madgers posted:

Pulled the trigger on that TCL 6 series a few weeks ago, and I don't know how you OLED people do it, even on the darkest or next to darkest backlight setting I still feel like my retinas are being cauterized.

TCL 6 (LED backlit LCD) is brighter than OLED.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh, well I guess color me not entirely surprised.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Winifred Madgers posted:

The infinite contrast of the oled panel means you don't need to sear a shadow into the wall

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The classic Radiation King TM was the best brand of TV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Number_6 posted:

The classic Radiation King TM was the best brand of TV.

I'm partial to a genuine Panaphonics myself, but Magnetbox and Sorny are up there too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I was looking to replace a 50" Vizio M series I had gotten a while back as I think its having some overheating issues and its randomly turning off.

Mostly using it for stuff like youtube/twitch/streaming right now and video games,. I'm not really looking to change the size, since I can't wall mount and my stand is good for 50" but probably not 55".

I'm not really trying to look too hard at breaking the bank on it, but I was wondering what the better brands around the $500 price point would be, because I'm not sure if there's a clear winner between VIzio/LG/Samsung.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So Walmart is now selling TVs under its Onn brand. Equipped with Roku, a platform thats bugging me more and more if for no other reason than its lack of ability to cast from phones and such except to youtube. Wonder who's building them?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I was looking to replace a 50" Vizio M series I had gotten a while back as I think its having some overheating issues and its randomly turning off.

Mostly using it for stuff like youtube/twitch/streaming right now and video games,. I'm not really looking to change the size, since I can't wall mount and my stand is good for 50" but probably not 55".

I'm not really trying to look too hard at breaking the bank on it, but I was wondering what the better brands around the $500 price point would be, because I'm not sure if there's a clear winner between VIzio/LG/Samsung.
That price range seems to be for tcl and hisense.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/48-49-50-inch

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codo27 posted:

So Walmart is now selling TVs under its Onn brand. Equipped with Roku, a platform thats bugging me more and more if for no other reason than its lack of ability to cast from phones and such except to youtube. Wonder who's building them?

They got screen mirroring, along with casting options for compatible apps?

https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-cast-to-roku/#step-by-step-cast-to-roku-from-an-ios-mobile-device

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haven't been able to find a reliable way to do it from Android. Can from Windows, but it's too slow for video streaming

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" C1 $1097 shipped from BuyDig, includes $100 Visa gift card.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just now noticed there a specific port on my C1 for 120hz. I currently have an Apple TV 4K (new one) and a PS5 hooked up. Is there any content on either that supports that frame rate?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
PS5 has a few games with 120hz settings

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just now noticed there a specific port on my C1 for 120hz. I currently have an Apple TV 4K (new one) and a PS5 hooked up. Is there any content on either that supports that frame rate?

All HDMI ports on the LG C1 support 120hz.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Considering pulling the trigger on the LG C1 55 inch today. Mixed usage, gaming, movies, but also PC stuff, productivity software, editing, etc. This has probably been asked a million times in here, but: How anal do I need to be in my scenario to minimize burn-in risk? Turn the TV off for a few minutes if I'm editing in Premiere once an hour? I won't be watching any cable so I'm not worried about logos, just the usual static PC UI stuff.

Will probably get it at BB, how much is their extended warranty and does it cover burn in?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thing with burn-in on OLED screens is it's NOT the same kind of burn-in that is on plasma screens. OLEDs have a limited pixel life and the brighter the pixel is, the faster it dies (gets darker). Changing the image or turning off the screen isn't going to make a difference if 90% of the time the same part of the screen displays the same thing - it's going to leave a negative image of the static parts of the screen that gets worse and worse over time.

The only way to avoid it is to display varied content most of the time, since any time spent displaying a desktop or an application with fixed text/icons is going to be cumulative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Incessant Excess posted:

All HDMI ports on the LG C1 support 120hz.

Ah, the one I looked at said 4k120hz and my brain assumed it was the only one that’d do 120hz period. Awesome!