Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Calaveron posted:

Is there a Disney movie with a stronger emotional core than a goofy movie? I posit no

I 2 I is a legit banger, it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

Many of the princesses have much greater characterization than most people want to give them credit for, including up to some really brain-dead readings.

Rose as mentioned is very tongue in cheek, and actually flirted with Phillip once the surprise of his being there wore off.

Cinderella was actually pretty drat snarky when she doesn't think her Stepmother or sisters would be around to punish her (and man do people love to downplay how awful and traumatic the dress-ripping scene is played out)

Rose wasn't the primary character of the movie, but I thought they did a pretty good job characterizing her with the little screentime she had. I especially liked the fairies frantically trying to come up with reasons for her to leave the cottage and Rose just being all "lol, i gotchu." It was really cute.

Cinderella is an entirely well-rounded character, imo. She's patient, hard-working, kind, has the snark, protects others, and is willing to take her shots when she can get away with it. Her character flaw is her acceptance of her situation, and the movie is all about her breaking that! She became really drat proactive in finding an out and it always felt kinda victim-blamey to say she waited around to be rescued. Girl did all her chores and developed an animal workforce, and then when she got cheated she snuck the gently caress out to the party her abusers were attending. Cindy got balls. But no, it doesn't count because she was helped out of her abuse. The gall.

Also that dress rip scene had goddamn violent sexual assault vibes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to admit it seems like every fantasy movie has to explain that it's not like every other fantasy movie and it's kind of annoying.

The movie probably doesn't resemble the trailer much, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And don't get me started on people claiming Ariel only went up to see a guy.

She already had a fascination with humans, and her father has an extremely violent temper - destroying your child's possessions is a form of abuse, full stop. Note the way she FLINCHES when she realized she said the wrong thing - she already knew he's prone to that kind of outburst.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Robindaybird posted:

Pretty much, doing things sincerely is the real twist.

My concern with Amazing Maurice Movie is it feels like it's going to shove Maurice and the rats to focus more on the humans - the humans were pretty much all background characters in the book.

but I am still intensely bitter how the Watch TV series went - clearly made by people who have clear hatred and contempt for the source material.

Ugh I had successfully purged the Watch show from my memories until now . Dammit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I rewatched The Lion King the other day (1994 version). It really is a great movie but it struck me how the ending sort of peters out. It becomes a bit of "entertain the kids" overload after having balanced such trap falls fairly well until that point. Rafiki doing ninja shouts, I mean, really?

Eh, still fantastic overall.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

BigglesSWE posted:

Rafiki doing ninja shouts, I mean, really?
I cannot stress this enough, it was 1994.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Entertain the kids and/or the parents who are at the end of their patience. That's where it becomes a cavalcade of references that no kid will get: "You talkin' to me"/"They CALL me MISTER PIG" and then the Bruce Lee gags, all coming right after the "luau" scene? That whole battle sequence was a wild balancing act between comedy and violence/drama and it seemed like they were aiming the drama at the kids and the comedy at the adults, which is .. a choice

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 18, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There have been a number of occasions where I've wanted to pick apart the Scar/Mufasa/Zazu scene at the beginning and just go line-by-line through all the intricate references they were doing. Nature documentary gags, cats-bringing-birds-home gags, "gene pool" gags, nails-on-chalkboard gags, It's utterly freakish how dense it is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Data Graham posted:

Entertain the kids and/or the parents who are at the end of their patience. That's where it becomes a cavalcade of references that no kid will get: "They CALL me MISTER PIG" and then the Bruce Lee gags, all coming right after the "luau" scene? That whole battle sequence was a wild balancing act between comedy and violence/drama and it seemed like they were aiming the drama at the kids and the comedy at the adults, which is .. a choice

Well you can't expect adults to care sincerely and seriously about cartoons so you throw in some jokes they'll get to keep them pacified while the kids watch for the drama.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Calaveron posted:

Is there a Disney movie with a stronger emotional core than a goofy movie? I posit no

Lilo and Stitch

better soundtrack too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DC Murderverse posted:

better soundtrack too

:chloe:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Robindaybird posted:

And don't get me started on people claiming Ariel only went up to see a guy.

She already had a fascination with humans, and her father has an extremely violent temper - destroying your child's possessions is a form of abuse, full stop. Note the way she FLINCHES when she realized she said the wrong thing - she already knew he's prone to that kind of outburst.
Also Sébastian was TERRIFIED of Triton. On the surface it's implied he feels physically threatened but if you want to get critical you could argue he doesn't want to risk losing his own status (like I guess what happened to Ursula) by disappointing the king. Like if you're supposed to be depicting a "magnanimous" king then his court shouldn't fear him since he'd be trustworthy, reasonable and empathetic.

In his defense, after Triton's tantrum he immediately regrets overreacting and second guesses himself. However I agree his response was still hosed up and he knew full well why Ariel suddenly vanished.

If you're going to give Triton poo poo, let's address the fact that he was so willing to take Ursula's word on the contract being legal. He didn't even READ the goddamn thing, he's a king, he could go get his mer lawyers to find some loophole. He literally gave up the keys to the kingdom not because he knew Ariel was clever and could figure out a solution, or even out of paternal love. He made an impulsive decision out of guilt!

Ursula is by far one of my favorite Disney villains, particularly because she won a custody battle through Admiralty Law. She was able to capitalize on the dysfunctional relationship Triton had with Ariel. They do multiple ominous close up shots of her mouth (eating the shrimp, telling Ariel the cost of the deal) which makes her imposing to the audience.

Some fan had an interesting theory that Ursula was originally Triton's younger sister. When his father died Triton was supposed to inherit the trident but Ursula tried to use it to bring dad back to life or something taboo which corrupted her into her current form, Triton then defeated and banished her. This gives a bit more motive on why she's so obsessed with Triton, why she was so close to him for so long and desperate for some comeuppance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calaveron posted:

Also a prototypical masterclass in the kind of "pick up all the pieces, close all the loops, the smaller the better" storytelling that Pixar later made their trademark. "The Perfect Cast" reappearing in the climactic stage scene is exactly the sort of thing where a movie waits for your guard to be down at the height of dramatic tension, and then hits you with that kind of emotional callback to splat you into the dirt — modern example being the bit in Turning Red where the boy band joins in with the family singing and all the kids start in beatboxing. drat

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Panfilo posted:

If you're going to give Triton poo poo, let's address the fact that he was so willing to take Ursula's word on the contract being legal. He didn't even READ the goddamn thing, he's a king, he could go get his mer lawyers to find some loophole. He literally gave up the keys to the kingdom not because he knew Ariel was clever and could figure out a solution, or even out of paternal love. He made an impulsive decision out of guilt!
a magic witch contract

I don't know if merlawyers going to do poo poo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just the line of Goofy understanding that Max has his own life but he just wants to be a part of it, dang
And it’s totally true how you know you’re an adult when you transition from wanting Goofy to let Max go to the party since it means so much to him to wanting Max to go with Goofy on the road trip since it means so much to him

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Goofy Movie is probably some of the most characterization the title character has ever gotten to be honest.

In other news, two animated Avatar (as in the Nickelodeon show) movies are apparently in development:

https://avatarnews.co/post/684454945400995840/animated-avatar-prequel-and-zuko-theatrical-films

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

World Famous W posted:

a magic witch contract

I don't know if merlawyers going to do poo poo

FFS at least have it go to arbitration before you throw the baby out with the bathwater on that deal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The contract was obviously signed under duress, and is thus nonbinding, anyways.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
turned into worms, both of you

Edit: hagfish? What were those things

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BigglesSWE posted:

I rewatched The Lion King the other day (1994 version). It really is a great movie but it struck me how the ending sort of peters out. It becomes a bit of "entertain the kids" overload after having balanced such trap falls fairly well until that point. Rafiki doing ninja shouts, I mean, really?

Eh, still fantastic overall.

I'm always floored by the incredibly quick turnaround between "hey everybody, remember how Simba was responsible for Mufasa's death?" to like 1 minute later, "I killed Mufasa!"

(I guess maybe it's just that living in a post-2016 world ruins every movie where they get the bad guy to confess and it solves everything, in general)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

World Famous W posted:

turned into worms, both of you

Edit: hagfish? What were those things

Polyps :colbert:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Panfilo posted:

Ursula is by far one of my favorite Disney villains,...

I don't remember if I've mentioned it in the thread, but the dark ride at the Disney Parks, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, does some hilarious poo poo to the plot to make it ride-length - specifically by cutting out everything bad Ursula does. You can watch a ride through, but the scene order is Part of Your World, Under the Sea, Poor Unfortunate Souls, Kiss the Girl, true love's kiss, big happy finale. Ursula's menacing (and a little upset at the kiss, in the background of a scene) but it's plausible to get the story from that ride and come away thinking Ursula was the spooky-but-benevolent sea witch who helped unite Ariel with her one true love.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Boxman posted:

I don't remember if I've mentioned it in the thread, but the dark ride at the Disney Parks, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, does some hilarious poo poo to the plot to make it ride-length - specifically by cutting out everything bad Ursula does. You can watch a ride through, but the scene order is Part of Your World, Under the Sea, Poor Unfortunate Souls, Kiss the Girl, true love's kiss, big happy finale. Ursula's menacing (and a little upset at the kiss, in the background of a scene) but it's plausible to get the story from that ride and come away thinking Ursula was the spooky-but-benevolent sea witch who helped unite Ariel with her one true love.

Though to be fair that’s about the extent of the sea witch’s involvement in the original story as I understand it (minus Ariel uniting with her true love in the end that is)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Panfilo posted:

Some fan had an interesting theory that Ursula was originally Triton's younger sister. When his father died Triton was supposed to inherit the trident but Ursula tried to use it to bring dad back to life or something taboo which corrupted her into her current form, Triton then defeated and banished her. This gives a bit more motive on why she's so obsessed with Triton, why she was so close to him for so long and desperate for some comeuppance.

Wasn't just fan theory, it was in the in the early drafts of the movie, but they cut it for various reasons - they restored this in the Musical and the Villains book series

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Larryb posted:

A Goofy Movie is probably some of the most characterization the title character has ever gotten to be honest.

That moment in the car when they have the argument and Goofy suddenly just goes sullen and silent and glowers straight ahead and Max is like "uhhhhh... I have literally never seen this happen before and neither has the audience"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I thought the TV show Canon established that octopus people were a rival race warring with the merfolk, and I think Ursula was a turncoat that agreed to betray her people and become Tritons Royal wizard or something. This would suggest she wasn't related to him but doesn't explain why she got kicked out.

I know the third movie established that Triton hated humans because human pirates killed his wife (not even deliberately I think) by running her over with a pirate ship? And he hated music because his wife loved to sing and when she died music made him sad. Also the mom closely resembled Ariel so he's probably reminded of his wife and really needs to unpack all that trauma with mer therapist instead of trashing his daughters room.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Data Graham posted:

That moment in the car when they have the argument and Goofy suddenly just goes sullen and silent and glowers straight ahead and Max is like "uhhhhh... I have literally never seen this happen before and neither has the audience"

Dude I saw that and instantly connected it with my dad as he'd do the same seething silence when he was angry/disappointed with me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And in that moment the kid realizes his dad is just another kid with his own immaturity to deal with, and the kid is now an adult who has to help manage it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The scene with Goofy and Pete in the hot tub discussing their sons is incredible. A movie about loving GOOFY has no right having a scene that good that breaks down the relationship difference between the two dads and their sons that well

"But... he loves me"
"Hey. My son RESPECTS me"

Like goddamn!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said, Goofy probably gets more depth in that one movie then he’s had in his entire career (mostly because he actually has a character arc in said film)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jymn Magon casts a long shadow.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm gonna watch goofy movie again

Pete's the man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It is odd that Pete’s wife and daughter suddenly disappeared from that movie onward and were never seen again to my knowledge (I guess they got divorced some time after Goof Troop)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I am not shocked in the slightest that Pete might have gotten divorced. It's also quite a fall from grace that he goes from owning a dealership to being a mall photographer. Guess the wife got the car lot in the divorce! Come to think of it I don't think we even see Pete's house in the movie, he might have lost quite a bit in that separation.

I think Goofy is endearing as a father because he means well, he's not cursed with generational trauma or tragic loss like a lot of other Disney Single Parents, and he grows as a father.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
His rv is a literal mansion though

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Robindaybird posted:

but I am still intensely bitter how the Watch TV series went - clearly made by people who have clear hatred and contempt for the source material.

I got the sense from the Watch series that it was an entirely different pre-existing pitch that some executive stapled onto the Discworld adaption because they were both fantasy police but all they did was change some names.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 19, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Panfilo posted:

I am not shocked in the slightest that Pete might have gotten divorced. It's also quite a fall from grace that he goes from owning a dealership to being a mall photographer. Guess the wife got the car lot in the divorce! Come to think of it I don't think we even see Pete's house in the movie, he might have lost quite a bit in that separation.

I think Goofy is endearing as a father because he means well, he's not cursed with generational trauma or tragic loss like a lot of other Disney Single Parents, and he grows as a father.

Yeah, I'm surprised his wife didn't have custody of PJ too. I guess he stayed behind with his dad in order to finish up high school and probably also because he wanted to look after his father (who in return treated him like crap for what little time they had left together before he went to college)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The fact the Watch directly mined quotes from the books and put them in completely different contexts that seem to undermine a lot of Pratchett's themes feels like there's some active spite going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

why couldn't they make the girl cool and watery and the guy hot and fie- oh that's right, the constant implied threat of horrifying violence