Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I picked up Steam and Iron and have played some of the battles. It's pretty fun.

I tried the Battle of the Falklands (historical) as the Germans and the result turned out pretty true to history. My two armored cruisers approached the harbor and sighted the two large battlecruisers. After firing off a few shots, I turned and ran, hoping to put enough distance between us while they were raising steam so that we could escape at night. However, the battlecruisers were both faster and had bigger guns, so they ultimately caught up and wiped out my cruisers.

So I took a different tack the second time.

:black101:

I still lost my cruisers, but HMS Invincible will be in drydock for a while. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

On that note the Rule the Waves 2 expansion just became RTW 3 instead.

And it's launching in the fall, on Steam.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
HMS Invincible heads to dry dock

Rule the Waves dev removes head from rear end.

Blessed day

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Nice!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CMO just got a pretty huge beta update. Some highlights :

quote:

Hypersonic glide vehicle (HGV) weapons and directed-EMP (D-EMP) weapons are now available in the commercial version.
New feature: Benchmark mode. (File 🡪 Benchmark)
New UI feature: Formation presets.
Revised layout on mission editor window:
New bathymetry layer:
New UI feature: Quick manual weapon allocation
Significant changes to message log:
New UI feature: Area & reference-points manager
New mission editor UI feature: Generate flight plan for assigned aircraft: :eyepop:
MAJOR NEW FEATURE: Energy-based flight model for boost-coast missiles.
Significant changes in default aircraft defensive maneuvers
NEW FEATURE: Passive Coherent Location System (aka “Passive Radar”)
NEW FEATURE: Distinct mobile ground units.
Significant improvement on kinematics of ballistic missiles,
Major EMCON addition: Intermittent Emissions & EMCON alert levels:
You can define a zone where you can tailor the environment & weather properties
NEW FEATURE: Palletized weapons

It's a big loving list.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BadmDHlVALmhwv43UGIxbws34zIVoetS7lD_yqnXqD4/edit

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I genuinely thought Steam releases would never happen.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
What I want to know is, are they gonna take Steam's advice on pricing or are they gonna stick with the tried and true grognard pricing strategy?

Pretty sure I already know the answer but a man can dream. Steam adoption is pretty good as is.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Tomn posted:

What I want to know is, are they gonna take Steam's advice on pricing or are they gonna stick with the tried and true grognard pricing strategy?

Pretty sure I already know the answer but a man can dream. Steam adoption is pretty good as is.

The announcement on their forums said they're planning between $35-45 but haven't settled on the final price yet.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Honestly that's probably the right move, it's not like they'd sell twice as many copies at $20

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't wait to read the community forum graphics & ui discussion. I know it's bad of me.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

simplefish posted:

Honestly that's probably the right move, it's not like they'd sell twice as many copies at $20

Just have it on almost perpetual sale. 39.95 feels right if a little expensive but the rush for getting it at 19.99 during a steam sale is priceless!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I look forward to the next RTW just so I can build more palace botes for LPs of the game. Still mad that my replacement royal yacht wasn't selected in Grey's LP. Do you know how long it took to make an outline of the Winter Palace in the shipbuilder?!

habeasdorkus posted:

(Prince Valeryan Igorovich Urodlivyy, founding member of the Русские созданы для борьбы и победы Salon, at a historical costume ball in St. Petersburg, circa 1899)

To my most Imperial cousin, my Tsar, and my Emperor, Nikolai II Romanoff,

Thank you, cousin, for your request of my thoughts on your next chariot of the sea. We should have known it was the anti-monarchist Americans who would hunt down royalty on the high seas like some brutish Gracchi of the modern days.

I, like you, mourn for the loss of the worlds's finest sea-tempered thoroughbreds, and wish daily that we had been able to save more of the royal wine supply. As such, I have determined that NEVER AGAIN should you ever be in position to have your horse shot out from under you.

As such, I have included with this letter the following design, which I beg you to mention to the Admiralty.

Imperator Nikolai II Groznyy-class Dreadnought

Ship Design

While your namesake yacht was the finest, and deadliest, royal yacht ever conceived, this will be not only the finest royal yacht conceived, but the deadliest and most powerful ship afloat.

As importantly, her size (nearly double that of the yacht) allows us to place upon her deck an armored scale model of the Winter Palace, replete with all of the comforts of home without scrimping on armor that provides immunity from her own guns at medium range. Likewise, the racetrack has been extended to allow for the continuance of the Romanoff Stakes.

This masterpiece of Russian ingenuity and design has a four turreted, 16 inch primary battery with the latest targeting abilities, as well as a deadly 24 gun salvo to smash any adventurous destroyer. To facilitate your arrivals and departures, she carries two sea planes, allowing you to arrive and depart at your leisure, as well as providing some self-contained scouting capacity. And to guard against any attacks from the air, or from a peasant uprising? Why, sixty machine guns should solve either of those problems.

Best of all, with three of these craft being built (may I suggest naming the third after your beloved and most loyal cousin after the Tsarina's name has graced the second ship of the class?) you will never want again for a royal vessel from which to lead your nation should one be damaged as you scourge the seas of your enemies!

URA, MY COUSIN! URA, MY EMPEROR! URA, RUSSIA!
Valerochka

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 19, 2022

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I look forward to the next RTW just so I can build more palace botes for LPs of the game. Still mad that my replacement royal yacht wasn't selected in Grey's LP. Do you know how long it took to make an outline of the Winter Palace in the shipbuilder?!

RtW "Let's All Play"s are always good fun

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

habeasdorkus posted:

quote:

Sir that is clearly a Death Tsar

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It does look like RTW3 will let you build more detailed pixelbotes:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Fantastic! Can't wait to be able to build literal pagoda masted battleships!

:sickos:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

simplefish posted:

Funnily enough, that's exactly how Gabe Newell used to think. They put games on sale at half price, and sold more than twice as many copies.

I think he put out some video back in 2011 talking about how they put a game on a 75% sale and sold forty times as many copies. Steam sales be weird.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People see the sale and want to lock in that price. It's a rational action on an irrational impulse.

Although maybe not so much in hindsight, as the race to the bottom on game prices that we saw in the first half of the 2010s seems to have subsided. That was spurred on largely by Steam sales and bundles, but since Steam stopped doing flash sales and several publishers like Paradox stopped being quite so keen on being bargain brands, this has subsided and there are some games where at the time that actually was the best price ever. I bought Empire Total War in 2011 for 2.50, and it's 5 bucks now even at its deepest sale.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Gort posted:

Funnily enough, that's exactly how Gabe Newell used to think. They put games on sale at half price, and sold more than twice as many copies.

I think he put out some video back in 2011 talking about how they put a game on a 75% sale and sold forty times as many copies. Steam sales be weird.

Most Steam games aren't a glorified visual basic macro...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

simplefish posted:

Most Steam games aren't a glorified visual basic macro...

People will take a punt on pretty much anything if the sale price is low enough.

I remember in the early steam sales when they would do like 95% off and I'd buy all kinds of weird poo poo because hey, maybe [genre I didn't even know existed] will turn out to be my secret passion.

I bet there are a huge number of grog-curious people who would buy a lot of these games if they just lowered the price point.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If I see RTW for 95% off I'm buying it immediately even though I know for a fact I will never play it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Terrifying Effigies posted:

It does look like RTW3 will let you build more detailed pixelbotes:

jesus. will it do something reasonable automatically or am i going to be loving around with a million lines in their terrible-rear end editor every time i want a ship that doesn't look like trash?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Foo Diddley posted:

jesus. will it do something reasonable automatically or am i going to be loving around with a million lines in their terrible-rear end editor every time i want a ship that doesn't look like trash?

Those are all apparently hand-made by one of the beta testers so I imagine it will still have the basic auto-gen ship graphics for folks who just want to smash boats together.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hey, whatever happened with Battlefront.com porting all the CMx2 titles to steam? I thought they were going to do that not long after the modern era/cold war titles went live, but.... Nothing?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There was a plan to get them all up over the course of this year. The latest update from the Devs this month is that they're aiming to get Normandy up in June (so a 2-3 month slip on the timeline).

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Sweet, thanks. I hope my CMBN v3.0 key will work with steam. I never bought the v4 engine upgrade which is required for Win10 (gently caress me for keeping my system up to date, right), so I haven't been able to use a product I've paid for in several years.

In other news, the latest DLC for Graviteam is pretty great. Lots of hot hot tank on tank action. The Soviets are pushing against an SS unit and just throw hundreds of T-34s against the German lines. Makes for some absolutely insane firefights. $13 to support a Ukrainian company that is still working despite being on the literal front lines themselves is a no-brainer. Bonus that the content is great too.

Also, the overhauled off-map artillery system that they introduced a few months ago is much simpler to grasp.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You gotta register your key with Slitherine/Matrix and then they'll give you a steam key on release.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

News about RtW3 has me wanting to play 2 again, but I don't have the installer on my new computer. With the storeowner dead, does anyone know how I get the game again?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Grognard Games Megathread - storeowner dead

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

dublish posted:

News about RtW3 has me wanting to play 2 again, but I don't have the installer on my new computer. With the storeowner dead, does anyone know how I get the game again?

Go look at the emails you got when you bought it?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ElBrak posted:

Go look at the emails you got when you bought it?

Broken download link, but at least it still gives me the serial and activation keys. Guess I'll reach out to the devs and see what I can find out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, get in touch with the devs and show them your proof of purchase.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The very old, pretty fun game People’s General is on GOG right now, which it wasn’t last time I looked.

Game is a Panzer/Fantasy General-type, but VERY late 90s in style and approach. Setup is China + NK versus the world; unusually, it places Russia on the NATO side.

The overwhelming impression I’ve taken from it is that only artillery, aircraft and helicopters can actually kill anything fast enough to meet the turn limits for the top tier of win. Tanks have a niche role in the action economy because they can kill multiple (sufficiently weak) units in a turn. Infantry’s main role is as a speedbump/cannon fodder, but since the player is always on the offensive the only reason you would ever want an infantry unit over another artillery unit in SP is to crack heavy fortifications, of which there are maybe one per scenario. For this you want engineers or similar.

Also, despite reading the manual, I still have no clue what support units do - they seem like a waste of a unit slot.

So far each mission’s puzzle seems to be (1) recon to find an enemy unit roughly in the middle of the map (2) air attack it to identify enemy air defences and then SEAD them to death (3) try to find as many of their in range artillery as possible in turn 1 and hit them with your own artillery.

Anyone got better thoughts? I’m finding it fairly challenging 4 scenarios in to the NATO campaign.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Based on the most recent diary it sounds to me like Vic is going to make naval combat a bit abstracted in the Shadow Empire oceans update. There will be "maritime trade houses" that you make deals with, and they can fight amongst themselves.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

abstraction makes sense but being forced to have a privatized navy less so

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It makes me wonder if he tried out directly controlled navies and decided they didn't work, yeah.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
In a previous entry he said he was planning on doing full navy stuff later, that it was too much to do that and all the changes to add oceans all at once.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I bounced incredibly hard off the air side of things in Shadow Empire so not particularly keen on more types of warfare.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

The air stuff swung wildly between op and bad, but what made me turn it off was realizing the ai was spending basically all of its metal on flak guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
IMHO any decent air or naval gameplay require wego instead of igougo, and I absolutely will not stop banging a drum about that.

I really hope Vic decides to reaproach this with his next game, he's otherwise by far the best grog dev out there at the moment.

E: And of course switch to a domions style hosted servers while we're about it, so we can have large MP games that aren't stuck progressing even slower than a witp game.