Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One interesting thing about SNW is that it seems to be going for harder sci-fi than I've seen before. ST is baby-soft scifi, they've never really cared about how tech or science or physics work, they're more interested in the ideas. How many times have we seen someone divert auxiliary power, it happens almost every drat episode. But this is the first time that I've seen it as an actual process involving multiple departments that required warning bridge officers and lights flickering and things like that. I've never seen that in an episode of ST. It's still not the Expanse, but Trek has always kind of handwaved away the actual space part of being in space -if a fact of math or physics gets in the way of the story they just come up with a compensator or dampener- and it feels like this series they're giving that more consideration, which to my mind is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I liked that whole sequence when before it was always a thing that happened in the background

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Agreed. I also really liked showing diverting power as something that required some effort. Most of this episode was meh for me, but a i liked that bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I tend to like anything that reveals stuff about the quotidian reality of the 24th century. Show me how a starfleet officer shaves! No, not like that!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zoux posted:

I tend to like anything that reveals stuff about the quotidian reality of the 24th century.

SNW S1E5: During routine maintenance a minor accident occurred causing one crew member to get minor burns, the chief engineer then spends the next hour writing an workplace accident incident report form.

With nothing much else happening captain Pike retires to his quarters and catches up with some routine paperwork.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I thought this episode was the “worst” of the three so far, but it was still hilariously better than most of the other current live-action shows.

If last week’s was a decent TNG episode, this was a decent Voyager episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dr_rat posted:

SNW S1E5: During routine maintenance a minor accident occurred causing one crew member to get minor burns, the chief engineer then spends the next hour writing an workplace accident incident report form.

With nothing much else happening captain Pike retires to his quarters and catches up with some routine paperwork.

How did you get your hands on gizmodo's 2032 listicle "The 10 best episodes from all seven seasons of SNW"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I Cared more about these characters than I did in all but the very best Voyager episodes, and as mentioned the ship operations were about 5000% better than Harry Kim being locked out

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen almost every episode of Discovery and I still couldn't tell you the names of the bridge crew. I know the name of every bridge crew member on SNW (yes, some were already known).

I also LIKE every single person on this cast. Every character is likeable, and that's part of Star Trek.

SNW loving owns. Love it. Praise Satan.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

RacistsSuck posted:

I've seen almost every episode of Discovery and I still couldn't tell you the names of the bridge crew. I know the name of every bridge crew member on SNW (yes, some were already known).

I also LIKE every single person on this cast. Every character is likeable, and that's part of Star Trek.

SNW loving owns. Love it. Praise Satan.

I like most of the characters, but Hemmer really hasn’t grown on me yet. He just seems like kind of a dick most of the time.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'd probably rewatch e2. And really e3 just because it's really visually engaging between the planetside set and them really drinking in some of the Enterprise sets.

E2 probably ranks around "Arsenal of Freedom" in terms of fun/quality, to me. I'm not going to say it's in the ranks of best TV episodes ever, or even top Trek 'fun hours', but if Arsenal of Freedom is on I'll watch it, or if I just want to binge some TNG it's going to be near the top of my list.

Like I said, SNW is at least so competent that I wouldn't avoid watching it (I certainly couldn't stomach to go through any Picard season again) and an episodic show usually needs a bit more time to hit its heights but the limited number of episodes in a season compared to old Trek also means there are less chances to get it right.

I will also add that even if the overall season ends up being a collection of "average" episodes it's less of an issue than with Discovery or Picard, there is a lot more room for course corrections and SNW is definitely interested in developing its cast of characters so you could have a strong foundation even if the episodes on their own aren't that great.
Imo the characters are my biggest hope for good to great episodes. It's a lot harder to come up with a scifi concept for an episode that can carry/elevate a show (especially because Star Trek has already covered so much ground) but it's a lot easier to write a somewhat generic plot that is great due to the characters. Take a TNG episode like "Chain of Command". The basic premise is just "Picard is captured on a secret mission and gets tortured". I mean there are a million ways how such a basic premise could turn out to be a really bad episode. That episode only works as well as it does due to the acting performances fueled by some genuinely great writing.
The same is true for "The inner light", "The Measure Of A Man" etc., these episodes weren't carried by a great/intricate plot or an awesome SciFi story, it was all about the execution.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

chglcu posted:

I like most of the characters, but Hemmer really hasn’t grown on me yet. He just seems like kind of a dick most of the time.

yea he’s an engineer

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Hemmer is basically if The Doctor was stationed in engineering. Same smug vibe, different vocation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like Hemmer because I don’t like Hemmer. It would be weird if everyone on the show was agreeable and friendly and appealing. And he’s intentionally unlikeable, which is a nice change from characters that I don’t like because they’re poorly written.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Gangringo posted:

Everyone has tragic backstories because sane, well-adjusted people born into a post-scarcity utopia don't expose themselves to the myriad of dangers of unexplored space.

The logical response to seeing 150+ years of comfortable existence free of any responsibilities in your future is to be extremely risk-averse.

I don't get this sentiment. People who have had terrible things happen to them are usually more risk averse. Starfleet gets to explore the universe, do cool science poo poo, and render aid to helpless planets. If you're bored of waiting in line for the holosuite, or if you want to do research, travel the galaxy, or just be a part of something bigger than yourself, Starfleet would be an attractive option.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I've been watching a few TOS episodes again recently, just to compare what they're doing in SNW. I think they're doing a great job with getting TOS feel while updating the sets, props, writing, and cinematography.

I just wish they'd kept the spirit of the music- where TOS had full orchestra, blasting horns, pounding timpanis, and weird marimba breaks, and it played a role in each episode. Amok Time would have been so different without that music. I'm tired of wallpaper music in star trek

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Phylodox posted:

I like Hemmer because I don’t like Hemmer. It would be weird if everyone on the show was agreeable and friendly and appealing. And he’s intentionally unlikeable, which is a nice change from characters that I don’t like because they’re poorly written.

yeah, I like that there's characters that are there because they are the best at what they do and not because they're part of the family; it feels more like the apex of a professional organization that way

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hemmer snapping his fingers and his team knowing exactly what to do was pretty great.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, Hemmer is basically if Shran was stationed in engineering. Same smug vibe, different vocation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aren't Andorians (I'm not clear on the Aenar vs Andorian thing since I never watched ENT - blind cave subspecies, but idk how much they are supposed to overlap culturally) generally assholes?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't get this sentiment. People who have had terrible things happen to them are usually more risk averse. Starfleet gets to explore the universe, do cool science poo poo, and render aid to helpless planets. If you're bored of waiting in line for the holosuite, or if you want to do research, travel the galaxy, or just be a part of something bigger than yourself, Starfleet would be an attractive option.

Yeah, that's something especially with how nuTrek handles trauma. Someone said it best when it has a tumblr in 2014 esque understanding of things. It wants to validate people with those experiences, but doesn't really know how and settles on breathless emotionality without ever going into them or understanding.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Eimi posted:

without ever going into them or understanding.

I’ve been assured by everyone on discovery (including the ship) that they have felt seen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why is her name Michael?? Why??

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

zoux posted:

Why is her name Michael?? Why??

Giving the female lead a traditionally male name is just something Bryan Fuller does on all of the shows he starts working on.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I work with a woman named Michael. She's nice :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still will never forget how Discovery was powered by space water bear nipple torture

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

I work with a woman named Michael. She's nice :)

Does she cry a lot

CLAM DOWN posted:

I still will never forget how Discovery was powered by space water bear nipple torture

The fungus drive is so far removed from what we expect Star Trek Tech to be, I think that was a major contributor to the lack of ST feel.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

some real tard-grade tv

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wheeee posted:

some real tard-grade tv

lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A thought.

Time doesn't pass in the transporter buffer, right? (M'Benga called out how his daughter doesn't age, the disease doesn't progress, etc., and of course that's also the way it worked for Scotty when he did it.) So it follows that this poor kid's entire existence consists of beaming from one storytime to the next, over and over and over, right? Months might have passed for M'Benga, but from her perspective, Dad closes the storybook, the world turns sparkly for a second, and then Dad opens the book and asks where they left off last time. You'd think she'd get tired of it before long. Might want to get a snack instead, one of these times. Or perhaps even waste several hours from her dwindling supply of time-left-to-live by getting some sleep.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Powered Descent posted:

A thought.

Time doesn't pass in the transporter buffer, right? (M'Benga called out how his daughter doesn't age, the disease doesn't progress, etc., and of course that's also the way it worked for Scotty when he did it.) So it follows that this poor kid's entire existence consists of beaming from one storytime to the next, over and over and over, right? Months might have passed for M'Benga, but from her perspective, Dad closes the storybook, the world turns sparkly for a second, and then Dad opens the book and asks where they left off last time. You'd think she'd get tired of it before long. Might want to get a snack instead, one of these times. Or perhaps even waste several hours from her dwindling supply of time-left-to-live by getting some sleep.

Perhaps she can get some Break Room time with Dichen Lachman

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

XboxPants posted:

Perhaps she can get some Break Room time with Dichen Lachman

Yeah Severance was my first thought as well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheeee posted:

some real tard-grade tv

Cool slur, man

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That whole M'Benga plot was driving me crazy.

This would be a time when civilians aren't allowed on Starfleet ships and you're telling me he just managed to emergency transport his daughter into the pattern buffer somehow and just keep her there? Hemmer just then noticed a considerable power drain in medical? How is a doctor able to override a refit/upgrade order, especially when it pertains to biofilters?The fact that this is now canonically something that M'Benga and Scotty figured out how to do implies (to me) that it would be common knowledge to some extent. Are there people on earth doing a future version of cryogenic freezing and just storing themselves in pattern buffers? Also, isn't storing a pattern incredibly intensive on the ship's computers? I'm recalling an episode of DS9 where they couldn't rematerialize the crew and the ship's computers just dumped them wherever it could and that ended up being Quark's holosuites along with a lot of data loss, if I'm remembering right.

Anyways, now there's a 7 year old child saved in the computer that they can throw out whenever they need some more drama.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I think my one question is ‘how does Hemmer read screens?’

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

zoux posted:

One interesting thing about SNW is that it seems to be going for harder sci-fi than I've seen before. ST is baby-soft scifi, they've never really cared about how tech or science or physics work, they're more interested in the ideas. How many times have we seen someone divert auxiliary power, it happens almost every drat episode. But this is the first time that I've seen it as an actual process involving multiple departments that required warning bridge officers and lights flickering and things like that. I've never seen that in an episode of ST. It's still not the Expanse, but Trek has always kind of handwaved away the actual space part of being in space -if a fact of math or physics gets in the way of the story they just come up with a compensator or dampener- and it feels like this series they're giving that more consideration, which to my mind is a good thing.

I really like it because it helps it feel a little more like they're still figuring this poo poo out, that they're on the absolute bleeding edge of what is currently possible for their tech, and they're gonna push further into the unknown anyway. It was one of the things I appreciated in Enterprise, too. It's not as big an element here as it was in Enterprise, of course, but things are just a little bit harder than they were in TOS, and certainly way harder than in TNG where humans had basically grown to the point where any problem was instantly solved with magic with a touch of a button.

Don't get me wrong, the borderline transhumanist vibe on TNG was great too, very inspiring and everything, but I also like the more "wild west" vibe that SNW still has pinch of. It helps connect the dots from First Contact to Enterprise to SNW to TOS to TNG, make it seem like that's a real path that might actually be on the table for our civilization.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm finding myself hoping they'll deal with the kid's plot as soon as possible, or we'll end up with a situation where "stopped time" still somehow clearly ages the kid five years between materialising due to the actor just growing up.

Can't say this week's episode was brilliant or anything, but I felt glee that it was so extremely trek, with the stupid ion storm and the transporter inevitably malfunctioning. I've missed this kind of cosily familiar sci-fi plot, I guess. One season each of Discovery and Picard was enough to make me give up on those shows, because I just don't find any joy in watching these so-called professionals endlessly crying and bickering week after week.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I think my one question is ‘how does Hemmer read screens?’

Space haptics using space Braille

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Scotty kept the Klingons in the pattern buffer (it wasn’t called that in the script at the time but it seems clear it’s intended to be the same process) when the landing party was beaming up as hostages in TOS season 3’s Day of the Dove, so it seems fine that you can do it temporarily in the Pike era.

ed:

https://i.imgur.com/lg4BK2U.mp4

Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Space haptics using space Braille

During the Year of Hell Tuvok gives a command to switch his console to tactile display mode (or something like that). I have to assume that it a standard feature of Starfleet consoles since not every species has a visual sense.