Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Insurrectionist posted:

The way they just stopped supporting D3 a little while into RoS was kinda weird, especially since they DID start adding DLC/microtransaction stuff to SC2 which launched a full 2 years prior and kept development running for longer. I loved playing SC2 but it ruined my mouse wrist so I had to stop.

They never stopped supporting D3, it still gets a big balance patch and new items and game modes have been added as recently as this season. It’s seriously been getting new content updates for 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Analytic Engine posted:

"derailing" is just responding to 2+ posts ago. It was a sin when we were 14 but's no prob for busy (& goony) adults

Well this thread was created specifically because people didn't like that the blizzwatch thread was a chat thread. They wanted a space where they could talk about the horrific abuse, court cases, and general drama that gaming companies create, without having to read a bunch of posts about why X game or Y game was good or bad. It's not so much that you're not allowed to respond to post 2 posts ago, but it was that people wanted a certain amount of gravitas when discussing a company that raped and harassed a woman until she killed herself. This thread has a specific reason, with an OP that points to a specific goal. The blizzwatch thread on the other hand is a great chat thread, and you can fire up a lengthy discussion about which Diablo games were good or bad, and why. I personally don't think this thread is actually capable of sticking to the stated goals to be perfectly honest, but I did want to touch and explain why this thread exists, and why people might be more careful about off-topic posting here rather than other places.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There’s a similar thread in CineD, where people insisted on having a thread specifically to discuss #MeToo and Sexual abuse in Hollywood, and it’s just an insanely toxic thread full of people posting past each other with wildly different ideas about what is and isn’t appropriate to talk about or discuss or what specific kind of crimes are sexual abuse and which crimes are simply “creepy”. It’s completely full of people making 100% innocuous throwaway jokes and then spawning multi-page derails about how no one is taking this seriously enough and it’s NOT FUNNY. I don’t think these kinds of thread really work on Something Awful, tbh.

In general a bbcode dead comedy forum full of computer touchers who frequently use humor to cope or comment on the industry shittiness we’re all dealing with is probably a bad place to go and try and carve out a sad thread specifically for talking about things like “the Cosby suite” or Kotick threatening to murder his secretary with a big “ITS NOT FUNNY, no laughing!!” sign on the door. I feel like whether or not Blizzard makes good games that define industry standards for decades is germane to the conversation of where they are in the industry and what their sale will mean to gaming as whole, but sure maybe the pedantics of build craft might be a step to far into the weeds.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm not thread mom, I never want that job (I go insane with power v. v. easily,) I just wanted to point out why people are more careful about that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Didn't mean to prevent a re-rail

I jumped in on the last pages and read the mood from there, down with staying on-course after reconnoitering

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have definitely been stricter on this thread in the past wrt keeping on topic but haven't been as bothered lately, however this:

quote:

the pedantics of build craft might be a step to far into the weeds

is 100% where I am right now. Please, I'm begging you, shut up about diablo builds.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a similar thread in CineD, where people insisted on having a thread specifically to discuss #MeToo and Sexual abuse in Hollywood, and it’s just an insanely toxic thread full of people posting past each other with wildly different ideas about what is and isn’t appropriate to talk about or discuss or what specific kind of crimes are sexual abuse and which crimes are simply “creepy”. It’s completely full of people making 100% innocuous throwaway jokes and then spawning multi-page derails about how no one is taking this seriously enough and it’s NOT FUNNY. I don’t think these kinds of thread really work on Something Awful, tbh.

In general a bbcode dead comedy forum full of computer touchers who frequently use humor to cope or comment on the industry shittiness we’re all dealing with is probably a bad place to go and try and carve out a sad thread specifically for talking about things like “the Cosby suite” or Kotick threatening to murder his secretary with a big “ITS NOT FUNNY, no laughing!!” sign on the door. I feel like whether or not Blizzard makes good games that define industry standards for decades is germane to the conversation of where they are in the industry and what their sale will mean to gaming as whole, but sure maybe the pedantics of build craft might be a step to far into the weeds.

move on from your threadban dude its been over half a year

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

secretly best girl posted:

Jesus, their twitter has been dark for over a year now and this was the last thing of note on it

https://twitter.com/bonfirestudios/status/1392956036214972418

How depressing that this seems to be their biggest impact on the industry

tried to interview at this company a couple of times, they have job postings but no one new has ever been hired. this was a scam for sure to get away with investment money somehow.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bentai posted:

I think the only reason this is even being brought up is because lol :blizz:
*edit*
Here, have a cute Sea of Thieves dog.

gently caress you!!!!! die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Alright, pack it up everybody, No Fun Allowed!

hust trying to get my lol s in teh epic bacon industry dysfunction thread. yall we neeed to heal with laughter... and some hecking cute doggos :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

"derailing" is just responding to 2+ posts ago. It was a sin when we were 14 but's no prob for busy (& goony) adults

youre an insane freak the likes of which should be kicked repeatedly in the shins until you dont come back

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Minera posted:

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/fireside

this poo poo has existed for almost 6 years with no game to show for it lol

who the gently caress is paying for this?

didnt ask

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stux lives

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Speaking of thread bans, goddamn

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Speaking of thread bans, goddamn

dumb little worm go back to your hole and eat the dirt you so desire

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
they better make a 2nd season of Eizouken. loving covid disruption

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youre gonna feel my grip

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Out of curiosity, is there a thread somewhere dedicated to asking why the hell someone is allowed to still post at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can go get publicly laughed at about it in QCS if you'd like

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Stux is the punishment you get for posting diablo builds in this thread.

Bideo James posted:

tried to interview at this company a couple of times, they have job postings but no one new has ever been hired. this was a scam for sure to get away with investment money somehow.

Did you ever get any response of any kind from them?

Boba Pearl posted:

Well this thread was created specifically because people didn't like that the blizzwatch thread was a chat thread. They wanted a space where they could talk about the horrific abuse, court cases, and general drama that gaming companies create, without having to read a bunch of posts about why X game or Y game was good or bad. It's not so much that you're not allowed to respond to post 2 posts ago, but it was that people wanted a certain amount of gravitas when discussing a company that raped and harassed a woman until she killed herself. This thread has a specific reason, with an OP that points to a specific goal. The blizzwatch thread on the other hand is a great chat thread, and you can fire up a lengthy discussion about which Diablo games were good or bad, and why. I personally don't think this thread is actually capable of sticking to the stated goals to be perfectly honest, but I did want to touch and explain why this thread exists, and why people might be more careful about off-topic posting here rather than other places.

Also this was a very good post + explanation of my goals for this thread, thank you for it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's fine if you don't have anything to post for three days. It's okay. If something about a Blizzard case of union busting or gross reveals across the industry that you're not quite 100% on is something to bring up then sure, go for it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

You're threadbanned from that thread because you wouldn't stop using it to workshop your rape jokes and defend Louis CK.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Please post about your forum enemies in another thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does this thread function for discussing issues with E-Sports and Competetive gaming? There was a major, like championship Magic: the Gathering Arena tournament where the world’s pro players all connect to the game client to run a tournament. Yesterday every pro player playing from France got DC’d from the game client at the exact same time and the tournament ruled it “User Error” and issued 20 different players in 20 different matches game losses with the exact same time stamp. The French have been a big part of tournament magic since the 90’s, believe it or not, with some of them being the most popular and storied players in the game’s history, and lot of them are righteously pissed off and feel completely abandoned by the game they’ve dedicated their life to because it’s trying to be an E-Sport but refuses to adapt to these kinds of technical errors and the video game they’ve put all their eggs into the basket of is just a righteously lovely client on its own.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I know MTG tournaments are kind of lols but that's actually a pretty big deal. The showrunners messed up bad there.

E:

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Stux is the punishment you get for posting diablo builds in this thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MOD POST

Let's please have no more talk of you own or any other user's quarrels with other threads. Let's at least try to stay on topic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
An Abandonware/Digital Preservation/Ownership/Ethics Thread could be cool in Retro Games, though, since we can assume everyone there is on the same page about :filez:.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Bust Rodd posted:

Does this thread function for discussing issues with E-Sports and Competetive gaming? There was a major, like championship Magic: the Gathering Arena tournament where the world’s pro players all connect to the game client to run a tournament. Yesterday every pro player playing from France got DC’d from the game client at the exact same time and the tournament ruled it “User Error” and issued 20 different players in 20 different matches game losses with the exact same time stamp. The French have been a big part of tournament magic since the 90’s, believe it or not, with some of them being the most popular and storied players in the game’s history, and lot of them are righteously pissed off and feel completely abandoned by the game they’ve dedicated their life to because it’s trying to be an E-Sport but refuses to adapt to these kinds of technical errors and the video game they’ve put all their eggs into the basket of is just a righteously lovely client on its own.

I think it's relevant, because Blitzchung was entirely an esports controversy and that was a huge part of the original Blizzwatch thread that spawned this thread. Esports and how they are run are, for better or for worse, a huge part of the games industry now.

In this specific case it's kind of shocking that they somehow apparently didn't have any sort of rules in place to mitigate technical problems beyond players' control. This is the functional equivalent of the power going out during a physical magic tournament and issuing every player sitting in the dark a loss.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Stux posted:

gently caress you!!!!! die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's really cool that "haha kill yourself 😂" posts are just given a slap on the wrist at worst

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Moola posted:

It's really cool that "haha kill yourself 😂" posts are just given a slap on the wrist at worst

Is a quad post including that really only a 18 hour probe ITT?

As for content Embracer group is making me more hopeful for the fate of Legacy of Kain than Squeenix has in the last decade.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1527325048914075659?t=Fb7N9FhK5Xhm6Cq_Rn-WPw&s=19

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Moola posted:

"die" does not mean "kill yourself", don't be disingenuous. if you really do believe that, wait until you find out what one of SA's subforum acronyms stand for

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
you see it was merely the German plural nominative "die", the equivalent of English "the"

the poster was probated before they could finish their sentence in German, but not before they could add many exclamation marks first

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Moola posted:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Moola posted:

perhaps if i say the right words the mods will punish the person i dont like

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do you all not find posting about posting, or reliving your forum grudges over and over, exhausting? You can have problems with a poster without starting a life long vendetta.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Boba Pearl posted:

Do you all not find posting about posting, or reliving your forum grudges over and over, exhausting? You can have problems with a poster without starting a life long vendetta.

*Looks at the entirety of Something Awful*

Clearly they do not. I think it actually gives them life.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Not to mention that SA of all places has always respected the spirit of the post more then the exact words to express it. Stux is absolutely loving right that rape megathread is not the place to talk about which Diablo game has the most content, regardless of how they say it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

rape megathread is not the place to talk about which Diablo game has the most content

:agreed:

Boba Pearl posted:

regardless of how they say it.

Disagree

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm just intensely curious as to how someone with a 4 page rap sheet and multiple back to back streaks of getting probed for thread-making GBS threads isn't just on sight at this point, and if there exists a proper place to ask the question. Forum grudges are loving dumb, though.

Boba Pearl posted:

Not to mention that SA of all places has always respected the spirit of the post more then the exact words to express it. Stux is absolutely loving right that rape megathread is not the place to talk about which Diablo game has the most content, regardless of how they say it.

And, no, thread making GBS threads in the 'rape megathread' in protest of a dumb derail is still thread making GBS threads

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
please stop calling it “the rape megathread”