Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah you shouldn't call people "coloured" in the year of our lord 2022, but that is a buckwild press release given what actually happened. Like,

quote:

First, we apologize to our attendees and the other panelists who were subjected to that slur. We’ve disabled access to the panel to avoid any additional harm being caused.

The semantic drift that harm's gone through in the past decade is extraordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not a slur so much as making you sound so loving antiquated that people just assume you're racist for using it. it WAS an acceptable term until fairly recently. probably going to flip flop a little like queer has.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, that’s a slur?

I’m white and don’t use it but this is also literally the first time I have seen it marked as a slur.

I'm a white male and I don't want to disparage anyone. The way I thought it was in decreasing order of acceptability was African-American > Black > Negro > Colored > N****r. But I'm happy to learn what's actually appropriate. I'm not going to claim that I'm an "ally" or anything but I see no reason to insult or put down a bunch of people because I couldn't be arsed to learn their preferred term for themselves.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I don't have any place in the conversation of the term being particularly racist or not, but context has to count for something. Lackey is generally a warm fuzzy grandma type with few public sins, in the act of praising a colleague. There is precisely zero chance that she is attempting to put anyone down in this situation much less make a racial attack on someone. This calls for a "Geez gran nobody says that anymore" soft check, not a public twitter airstrike following by expunging the terrible crime from history so that the vitriol cannot poison the minds of future generations.

This gives off weird nasty posturing vibes instead of actually giving a poo poo about humans vibes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I get it if the guy she was talking about complained, but this really just screams "old lady had a senior moment" moreso than her trying to actually be offensive in some way.

Apparently they banned her husband too. Weird.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Less Fat Luke posted:

Seems literally like all dudes

Well, since I dropped S1 about halfway through because of the shocking level of misogyny on display, I don't think I've missed anything by ignoring the more recent stuff entirely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unless she's secretly ultra racist in private and that was a mask slipping moment (which seems unlikely) it's a bunch of Twitter morons virtue signaling, basically. you can't ever let anything slide, you gotta treat it like a personal attack and a war crime

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The phrasing 'person of color' is prevalent enough that I can easily see a well meaning elderly person using 'colored person' without realizing that the difference is meaningful.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I always quite liked Elizabeth Moon’s Paksennarion books, and I saw someone upthread describe MC Planck’s Prime series as the same kind of thing (that is, chronicling what’s essentially a D&D campaign) but better.

This was possibly the worst series I have ever read to the end. After the first book I was reading for closure and in the vague hope it might improve book to book (it didn’t). Every sin you can imagine from LitRPGs is committed: there’s no strong central theme, characters all speak in the same (inconsistent) register, there is an obsession with the rules of the system, there is no clear causality just a sequence of events, and the main character is an unlikeable, arrogant dick who never suffers any meaningful adverse consequences from consistently treating people like poo poo and never explaining anything.

These things are full price on Amazon, which makes me think they must be popular. It’s baffling.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Well, since I dropped S1 about halfway through because of the shocking level of misogyny on display, I don't think I've missed anything by ignoring the more recent stuff entirely.

FWIW give Zorba The Greek a wide berth as well. Tried it recently because I was going to visit Crete and wow. It's almost unheard of for me to not finish a book, no matter how bad it is, but after the second appearance of the term 'brood mare' I was done. I have no idea what all the people who describe it as an inspiring novel see in it.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

FWIW give Zorba The Greek a wide berth as well. Tried it recently because I was going to visit Crete and wow. It's almost unheard of for me to not finish a book, no matter how bad it is, but after the second appearance of the term 'brood mare' I was done. I have no idea what all the people who describe it as an inspiring novel see in it.

well, it was written by a cretin

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The way I, a white Dane, had it explained to me by a friend of mine who's black and as Danish as I am, is that 'coloured' is a word that was used when racists couldn't use the hard-r n-word - it might have a slightly negative connotation when it's that thin of a veil.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The way I, a white Dane, had it explained to me by a friend of mine who's black and as Danish as I am, is that 'coloured' is a word that was used when racists couldn't use the hard-r n-word - it might have a slightly negative connotation when it's that thin of a veil.

In the UK "coloured" was often used to refer to mixed race people, and is still considered really insulting by older blacks.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FPyat posted:

Hanya Yanagihara has also written a Cloud Atlas-like book called To Paradise.

No. Hell no. Naw. Nope.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It blows my mind that “Like Cloud Atlas” is a genre now. I loved the book, but had no idea.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

that's how it's used now generally but like 50 years ago it was considered the polite term lol.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Jedit posted:

In the UK "coloured" was often used to refer to mixed race people, and is still considered really insulting by older blacks.

Did not apartheid-era South Africa have "coloured" as a category legally distinct from both "black" and "white", also?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

More Lackey on a different issue:
https://twitter.com/adeniro/status/1458507162364354569

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Groke posted:

Did not apartheid-era South Africa have "coloured" as a category legally distinct from both "black" and "white", also?

Yeah, the largest group was mixed race, but it often included Chinese and Indians. Famously when in SA Ghandi thought he deserved to be treated better than the blacks or coloureds, fascinating time to read about.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Remulak posted:

It blows my mind that “Like Cloud Atlas” is a genre now. I loved the book, but had no idea.

It’s probably because its story structure is so unique, it had entirely it’s own section in this writing book https://www.amazon.com/Meander-Spiral-Explode-Pattern-Narrative-ebook/dp/B07L8RLP3J/, encouraging other writers to try it out

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
all these posts and no one bothered to figure out what happened re mercedes lackey, oh boy.

https://twitter.com/jeninthelib/status/1528168371379875840

apparently this is from Delany:

https://twitter.com/TimothySandefur/status/1528707923148427265

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Anything Samuel R. Delany says on a topic, is the final word on that topic.

edit: OH WOW WAS I WRONG ABOUT THAT

mdemone fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 23, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
With a few possible exceptions about NAMBLA I think.

SFF needs to get off Twitter

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Battuta posted:

With a few possible exceptions about NAMBLA I think.

Aw c'mon, say it ain't so. :argh:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
What the gently caress.
https://www.nambla.org/delaney.html

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Unclickedest link of my life

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

What the gently caress :catstare:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That a libertarian posted this quote is now hilarious but obvious given the next few posts

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

*throws hat down and stomps on it*

Well goddamnit

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
BINGO but its posters finding out the horrible things that SFF writers have said and done.

PIERS ANTHONY [FREE SPACE]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Don't forget that Hogg exists too. Mentioning Hogg to die-hard Samuel R Delany fans gets the same reactions mentioning the Orangutan to serious Edgar Allen Poe historians or mentioning I Will Fear No Evil to die-hard Robert Heinlein fans.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Wait what's up with I Will Fear No Evil? It's in my to-read pile and I don't really know anything about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The one die hard heinlein fans don't want to talk about is Farnhams Freehold.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quantumfoam posted:

Don't forget that Hogg exists too. Mentioning Hogg to die-hard Samuel R Delany fans gets the same reactions mentioning the Orangutan to serious Edgar Allen Poe historians or mentioning I Will Fear No Evil to die-hard Robert Heinlein fans.

Huh. I don’t remember reading I Will Fear No Evil, but man I have about 5 books I’d put on the Heinlein WTF pile before it I think.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

in my head, this one has an even more underage than usual Heinlein sex scene that is also incest?

please correct me, or alternatively, I guess, you could tell me I'm right, but really I'd rather be wrong

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

BINGO!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

gonna be honest, I kind of thought NAMBLA was made up for south park

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ulmont posted:

Huh. I don’t remember reading I Will Fear No Evil, but man I have about 5 books I’d put on the Heinlein WTF pile before it I think.

Die-hard Heinlein fans will throw down and endlessly defend and relitigate every WTF content story Robert Heinlein wrote except IWFNE. To be honest, WTF content stories are 95% of Robert Heinlien's literary corpus, but no-one in Heinlein fandom voluntarily brings up IWFNE or ever uses it in a ""Nuh-uh. Not true. Not at all. Heinlein really meant this when he wrote these stories" argument.
On a sheer WTF factor, IWFNE ranks crazy high.

Delany's Hogg is extra creepy because apparently that was a story he had been working on for decades.