Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kylaer posted:

I was harassing people for not trusting their respirators. If someone had said "I'm afraid I'd get assaulted if I wore a mask" I wouldn't have disputed that. It was people saying "I have a p100 elastomeric and I'm still too afraid I'll get covid to go to the grocery store" that I was arguing with.

I've decided not to do that any more because it doesn't benefit anyone.

don’t trust your respirator too hard, it’s just plastic stuff made by 3m or Honeywell for the lowest cost possible, and it’s considered trustworthy because the CDC says they’re N95 rated and scientists publish a handful of peer reviewed studies about them every year. there’s still a lot of room for error and bad batches cause :capitalism:. 3m’s purpose of existence is to appropriate the wealth created by its workers and get it rubber stamped by its friends in government, not to protect you in any way whatsoever.

you should still wear that garbage, but be prepared for it to fail catastrophically at the worst moment.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 02:26 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

At least we have a mascot for when cases/hospitalizations/deaths go vertical

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

its honestly not reasonable to expect anything other than the worst possible outcome

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Kylaer posted:

I was harassing people for not trusting their respirators. If someone had said "I'm afraid I'd get assaulted if I wore a mask" I wouldn't have disputed that. It was people saying "I have a p100 elastomeric and I'm still too afraid I'll get covid to go to the grocery store" that I was arguing with.

I've decided not to do that any more because it doesn't benefit anyone.
I was literally one of the people itt discussing the harassment we face while masked in public while you were being aggro. Whoever bought you that red text is the bigger rear end in a top hat though because it’s annoying to be reminded of how much that interaction sucked, red text is loving stupid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No! No!!

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1528833698988269568

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
When I said invest in monkeypox I didn’t mean crypto

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Computer Serf posted:

uh what about that time before smallpox was eradicated?

these diseases have spread in the past, and we have plenty of ways to decontaminate surfaces and avoid exposure.

You can totally decontaminate a surface. But like I said there are certain things you cannot decontaminate. Thus at an individual level it's simply not possible to eliminate as many of your risk factors as you can with COVID/Flu/Etc.

That's where the crack ping comes from I think, at the individual level. I can effectively keep my COVID risk so low as to virtually eliminate it. If every object I bring back from the grocery store and every package coming into my house has *pox on it, I simply cannot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So this is good, right? any caveat here? I mean besides the 5 other pandemics coming down the pike

https://mobile.twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1528876982754476032

https://mobile.twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1528876996926791680

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

it's a little concerning that the number of new monkeypox cases keeps going up every day and the general consensus of everyone in power is that it's fine and we don't have to do anything. it's just gonna go away on its own i guess. the equilibrium point to which all novel diseases gravitate is "no disease." because that's what it was before they appeared you see, so it will just go back to being that way, no actions required.

stop worrying so much over nothing. The science says that monkeypox is not known to be a particularly infectious disease, has no history of human to human transmission, and isn't able to secure a foothold outside of its native habitat of african rainforests

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Rescue Toaster posted:

You can totally decontaminate a surface. But like I said there are certain things you cannot decontaminate. Thus at an individual level it's simply not possible to eliminate as many of your risk factors as you can with COVID/Flu/Etc.

That's where the crack ping comes from I think, at the individual level. I can effectively keep my COVID risk so low as to virtually eliminate it. If every object I bring back from the grocery store and every package coming into my house has *pox on it, I simply cannot.

UV lights? Also depends in part on if it truly does linger for days/months on all surfaces. Like if you have enough PPE and food already, you can buy more, keep it somewhere isolated, and then open it after X days once the danger has passed.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

mawarannahr posted:

don’t trust your respirator too hard, it’s just plastic stuff made by 3m or Honeywell for the lowest cost possible, and it’s considered trustworthy because the CDC says they’re N95 rated and scientists publish a handful of peer reviewed studies about them every year. there’s still a lot of room for error and bad batches cause :capitalism:. 3m’s purpose of existence is to appropriate the wealth created by its workers and get it rubber stamped by its friends in government; not to protect you in any way whatsoever.

you should still wear that garbage, but be prepared for it to fail catastrophically at the worst moment.

I've spent a lot of time in the covid miasma. I trust my respirator absolutely and have no worries at all as long as it's on my face.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I was literally one of the people itt discussing the harassment we face while masked in public while you were being aggro. Whoever bought you that red text is the bigger rear end in a top hat though because it’s annoying to be reminded of how much that interaction sucked, red text is loving stupid.

I've had avatars turned off for years. I didn't know I had a red text until someone pointed it out.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

So this is good, right? any caveat here? I mean besides the 5 other pandemics coming down the pike

https://mobile.twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1528876982754476032

https://mobile.twitter.com/awgaffney/status/1528876996926791680

excellent. I'm glad that the NIH finally punished a study that proves there is no such thing as long covid and that all the symptoms the patients are complaining about are all in their heads

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My concern with covid is that I can get it repeatedly and there’s a bunch of bad poo poo it does that we know about and a bunch of potentially bad poo poo we don’t know about yet because it’s a novel virus. But monkeypox would probably just horribly disfigure me and that’s way less stressful.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Just wait til they find out that the Great Value Pride ice cream isn’t made by an LGBTQ+ owned company either.

I knew about Juneteenth since I was a kid and in Florida so it’s definitely a known thing outside of Galveston.

holy poo poo there's a pride ice cream?

forgive me I'm allergic to milk and 100% ignorant of all this poo poo lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Countdown until journals like “Neglected Tropical Diseases” get renamed “Diseases”

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

UV lights? Also depends in part on if it truly does linger for days/months on all surfaces. Like if you have enough PPE and food already, you can buy more, keep it somewhere isolated, and then open it after X days once the danger has passed.
UV is good, but one big caveat is that it’s line-of-sight only.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My concern with covid is that I can get it repeatedly and there’s a bunch of bad poo poo it does that we know about and a bunch of potentially bad poo poo we don’t know about yet because it’s a novel virus. But monkeypox would probably just horribly disfigure me and that’s way less stressful.

Honestly kind of where I'm at. As I'm single now and there's no way to safely date really, gently caress it, I'm going to be single the rest of my life. Being a horribly deformed mutant will not impact my social life because COVID prevention measures have already ensured I will never have a face-to-face social life again, anyway.

I'm just more worried that if I get the 'pox I'll have it bad enough to need to be hospitalized, at which point lol I'll finally get COVID.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

not_superiority posted:

if you can sell it, there's a pride version of it

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Shiroc posted:

Pustules and organ damage are just opportunities to grow as a person

Pustules and inflammation are types of growth, yes

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
There’s even GOProud!

It’s funded by Peter Thiel

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

not_superiority posted:

Yeah, it’s in the original pic of the ice cream, that Twitter user just cropped out the gay ice cream next to the Juneteenth ice cream. There’s a line of “Celebration” ice cream that Great Value does for holidays.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kylaer posted:

I've spent a lot of time in the covid miasma. I trust my respirator absolutely and have no worries at all as long as it's on my face.

I've had avatars turned off for years. I didn't know I had a red text until someone pointed it out.

you should not trust anything absolutely, but especially not an American PPE manufacturer that lies about the protection it claims to offer

quote:

The Combat Arms Earplugs, Version 2 (CAEv2), was developed by Aearo Technologies for U.S. military and civilian use. The CAEv2 was a double ended earplug that 3M claimed would offer users different levels of protection.[89] Between 2003 and 2015, these earplugs were standard issue to members of the U.S. military.[90] 3M acquired Aearo Technologies in 2008.[91]

In May 2016, Moldex-Metric, Inc., a 3M competitor, filed a whistleblower complaint against 3M under the False Claims Act. Moldex-Metric claimed that 3M made false claims to the U.S. government about the safety of its earplugs, and that it knew the earplugs had an inherently defective design.[92] In 2018, 3M agreed to pay $9.1 million to the U.S government to resolve the allegations, without admitting liability.

for example, who knows what kind of faulty plastic resin substitutes they may or may not have to use between the start of the pandemic and the rest of our lives, and which of their engineers have long COVID and can’t do the needful?

I love mask, I just think it’s shortsighted to worship merchandise.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Pride Oreos, but not actually for queer people because they’re for ‘allies’ to celebrate themselves

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I had a straight friend ask how I felt about the commodification of my identity by corporations and I just laughed and said I wish I had the space in my head to care about it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shiroc posted:

Pride Oreos, but not actually for queer people because they’re for ‘allies’ to celebrate themselves

I’m sure they will be a hit in this town

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Like lol people out here want to murder me like I give a poo poo about heteros selling Pride socks or some poo poo lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

mawarannahr posted:

I’m sure they will be a hit in this town

If a cishetero gave me those I would be so loving mad at them

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Rescue Toaster posted:

what can’t you decontaminate? just wash things off with soapy water.

even takeout or pizza you could just get a torch to it if you really felt like it can’t be brought inside. UV lights might work too

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
sorry if I have to wash my pizza I’m just gonna die instead

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Shiroc posted:

my board game group (we're playing over BGA because pandemic) all groaned at this, so thank you for adding covid content

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If i got those from a straight acquaintance I think I'd just feel a profound and existential sense of malaise and a vague pity for the fool who done it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

nexous posted:

yeah honestly same

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cant believe grocery washing is back on the table and it's not for covid lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My life right now is near exclusively covid precaution and the cishets having weird meltdowns around me.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shiroc posted:

My life right now is near exclusively covid precaution and the cishets having weird meltdowns around me.

same but I’m the cishet

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Lol one of the only people at work that can't wear a mask while doing their job just popped. Like half of my (surgically masked) coworkers were inside small rooms around her as recently as today.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
if you wanna celebrate black people on Juneteenth, buy Creamalicious ice cream, at least it’s black owned

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nexous posted:

You're in luck, because I'm testing a new method of pizza sanitization where i place it in a closed chamber that can reach temperatures in excess of four hundred degrees Fahrenheit and hold it at that temperature for 15 to 30 minutes (the precise time depends on the thickness of the pizza, thicker pizza stays in longer to ensure all of it reaches a high enough temperature to kill all pathogens that may be contaminating it)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i'm the ally who wrote "SLIT APPEARS WHEN OPENED"

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

nexous posted:

:psyduck:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UDKz0NEW0J4

:viggo: just get a flamethrower if you don’t like soap