Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
My 3-year old today while I was vacuuming: “Mom, if you need help just ask me. Because I am here to help you.”

Granted, his form of help was just holding on to my arm. But after a long day chasing around a toddler and a 5-month old on too little sleep, moments like these remind you there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Blippi is one of the weirdest shows I've seen on youtube - one episode will be some super interesting tour that I end up watching as well (there's one where he hangs out with Shaun White at a skateboard shop?!) but then there'll be another that's him walking around some dingy kids play area in a strip mall. It feels like he's casting a super wide net and man does it work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess my wife found our toddler climbing on one of the cabinets/retired entertainment credenza-turned dining room storage unit so I guess we've entered "that stage"

I was going to put some 1x6 together with some ~4" legs made out of 2x4 so she can "climb" on them and use it as a balance beam?

I see a bunch of this stuff on etsy for $140+ plus shipping

I feel like I can put something together with $5 worth of spare deck screws and $30 worth of lumber*? I don't think she's ready for a full size play thing, but screwing together a structure for her to climb on would go a long ways towards wearing her out. it's not going to look amazing, but will it be able to support 25 lbs of dynamic load for the six months I need it to last? absolutely

Anyone done anything like this?

*yes I've built a lot of stuff with wood, i'm no professional carpenter, but i've built a couple of wooden boats and various things over the years

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I guess my wife found our toddler climbing on one of the cabinets/retired entertainment credenza-turned dining room storage unit so I guess we've entered "that stage"

I was going to put some 1x6 together with some ~4" legs made out of 2x4 so she can "climb" on them and use it as a balance beam?

I see a bunch of this stuff on etsy for $140+ plus shipping

I feel like I can put something together with $5 worth of spare deck screws and $30 worth of lumber*? I don't think she's ready for a full size play thing, but screwing together a structure for her to climb on would go a long ways towards wearing her out. it's not going to look amazing, but will it be able to support 25 lbs of dynamic load for the six months I need it to last? absolutely

Anyone done anything like this?

*yes I've built a lot of stuff with wood, i'm no professional carpenter, but i've built a couple of wooden boats and various things over the years

Buying something is worth the price to not have to loving sand down your $30 of lumber so your kid won't get splinters when they eat the wood.

https://smile.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-First-Slide-Blue/dp/B008MH5H4M/

Something like this is also only $30 and can go indoors and outdoors and folds up small AF

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Buying something is worth the price to not have to loving sand down your $30 of lumber so your kid won't get splinters when they eat the wood.

https://smile.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-First-Slide-Blue/dp/B008MH5H4M/

Something like this is also only $30 and can go indoors and outdoors and folds up small AF

/laughs in ecommerce

Seeing her crawl all over that thing over and over is what gave me the idea to give her more things to do in the back yard. Only about 1 in 8 times does she want to play "fetch" with the balls we have. And letting her run around outside is a lot less destructive than having her pull everything off the shelves in the house (wife doesn't want to give up her shelves :shrug: ). Need to go dig out my power sander but probably not a whole lot of work. Kiddo likes to watch me work on projects for the most part

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Building your own wooden playset is probably going to be more rewarding as well as economical, but if you’re looking for yard activity ideas our little parkour wannabe loves the geodesic dome kit we got at a big box hardware store.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah amazon suspiciously had all sorts of links to those geodesic dome kits plastered below the slide. I suspect I am not the first parent to run across this scenario

I was thinking the 4" high wooden playset might be an easier sell since it's less visually obtrusive (we just moved and wife is talking about having guests over at the new house w/boomer-sized backyard) but sounding like I'll be able to sell her on the dome thing

This speaks to me? If $300 when this other option is $120

https://amazon.com/Lifetime-Products-Geometric-Climber-Attachable/dp/B01LWPRXDB/

We now live in coastal The South so it's about to get alarmingly hot + humid, not a terrible idea?

$120 option, all the reviews say "shade tore within N time": https://amazon.com/Zupapa-Climber-Canopy-Waterproof-Jungle/dp/B082VZP88K/

seems like a strong contender for "you get what you pay for"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nope. Get a Tote-a-fort, which is something you should have anyways. It’s great, three sheets with Velcro all around it to attach to things as well as some beanbags to help with construction wherever you are. Not really intended for permanent install but it does the job just fine for movie night. Makes blanket forts a lot easier to build, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's funny how literal kids can be. I off-handedly mentioned "the TV downstairs" and my daughter stopped me and was like "why did you say the TV downstairs, we don't have a TV up here."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My 2 year old absolutely insists that I wear a shirt whenever I am not wearing a shirt (like when she woke up at 530 and I bumbled out of bed to go get here this am).

I thought I had a few more years before this...

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

devmd01 posted:

Nope. Get a Tote-a-fort, which is something you should have anyways. It’s great, three sheets with Velcro all around it to attach to things as well as some beanbags to help with construction wherever you are. Not really intended for permanent install but it does the job just fine for movie night. Makes blanket forts a lot easier to build, too.

The dome pictured here is exactly the one we have, I'll need to look into this velcro sheet fort thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That dome appears to be the plum "Phobos metal climbing dome" and is out of stock because of course it is (lot of garden hoses out of stock too right now, I noticed), pretty reasonable at $187 if you could buy it

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We bought ours last year for the twins 5yo birthday last month, so I guess we got lucky. When the instructions say 2.5 hours for assembly, they mean it.

This is the toteafort we have but there are of course other brands, and it looks like ones with 4 sheets instead of 3.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8LRUY0/

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 23, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

Yeah, it's this. We've bought some homemade furniture from Etsy shops and the biggest difference between what we get and what we'd have if I did it myself is the sanding.

My woodworking skills are fairly low and out of practice, but even at its height I hate sanding.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

External Organs posted:

My 2 year old absolutely insists that I wear a shirt whenever I am not wearing a shirt (like when she woke up at 530 and I bumbled out of bed to go get here this am).

I thought I had a few more years before this...

For about two weeks I was only allowed to wear a particular dark blue t-shirt.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Has anyone had experience with issues from eating grapes? A few months ago our daughter had some kind of gastro issue that included vomiting and diarrhea. Ever since then if she eats grapes, she's waking up the next morning with an upset stomach. She can pretty much eat any other kind of fruit and be fine, it's just grapes. Which is a shame because she loves them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Under 5 vaccine results for Pfizer (3 doses) showing 80% effacy :dance:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/23/23137733/children-covid-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-fda-authorization

Almost certainly means approval in June for Pfizer for under 5, with doses available before the end of June

Good chance moderna will be approved as well, but no results made public yet

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
gently caress yes, finally

:toot:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hadlock posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/23/23137733/children-covid-vaccine-pfizer-moderna-fda-authorization

Almost certainly means approval in June for Pfizer for under 5, with doses available before the end of June

Good chance moderna will be approved as well, but no results made public yet

So it looks like they’ll need three shots for any efficacy-I’m guessing spaced 3 weeks apart?

I guess it’s not much different than what…hepatitis shots, right? You need a series of those as well if I recall correctly.

I’ve had a few Covid outbreaks pop up amongst friends with kids lately, so this would be nice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's been a long time since I looked at this, but I think in the under 5 group, because they all get the same dose/course, the under 2 would have been approved last fall, but the ~3.5-5 didn't have high enough effacy, my guess is because each dose is about 1/10 an adult dose, and 4 year olds are a lot bigger than 2 year olds. My guess is the third dose is basically a booster for anyone under 2 and only partly needed for older kids unless they're huge demon children but again I'm just guessing

Those are all round numbers, and I'm not a doctor but presumably two doses is good, a third is going to be hyper effective

With the first dose happening end of June, second dose mid to end of July, third dose mid to end of September, means kids should be going into the fall school season with maximum immunity, which could mean a lot lower cases overall throughout the holidays this year. Maybe. So that's exciting. But I'm just guessing

Moderna data still incoming but my guess is theirs looks good too

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hadlock posted:

It's been a long time since I looked at this, but I think in the under 5 group, because they all get the same dose/course, the under 2 would have been approved last fall, but the ~3.5-5 didn't have high enough effacy, my guess is because each dose is about 1/10 an adult dose, and 4 year olds are a lot bigger than 2 year olds. My guess is the third dose is basically a booster for anyone under 2 and only partly needed for older kids unless they're huge demon children but again I'm just guessing

Those are all round numbers, and I'm not a doctor but presumably two doses is good, a third is going to be hyper effective

With the first dose happening end of June, second dose mid to end of July, third dose mid to end of September, means kids should be going into the fall school season with maximum immunity, which could mean a lot lower cases overall throughout the holidays this year. Maybe. So that's exciting. But I'm just guessing

Moderna data still incoming but my guess is theirs looks good too

Moderna already submitted too, they will be looking at both at the same time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter turned five, was going to get the vaccine at her checkup, got put off a couple days by the pediatrician, then got Covid.

It's been a pretty lovely weekend all told.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

One of my kids tested positive on a rapid test for COVID. The other did not. Now I know which one got placebo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

2DEG posted:

Moderna already submitted too, they will be looking at both at the same time.

Yeah, they've been sitting on approval waiting for Pfizer because they want to "be fair" to the poor pharmaceutical giant. It's not like parents have already been nervously waiting over two years. Also who here is looking forward to taking their kids for 3 shots of Pfizer instead of 2 of moderna?

In unrelated news, today is the first day of actual underpant-wearing potty training. Pretty good so far but no poops. Hoping he's not just holding it in until diaper time overnight.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One of my kids tested positive on a rapid test for COVID. The other did not. Now I know which one got placebo.

Yeah, pretty sure that our older one got the real deal and baby got placebo. (Eta: The older one had mild injection site reactions to both shots, hence the suspicion) Baby picked up covid in early January with the omicron wave and the three of us spent a week+ at home together, and both I and the older boy tested PCR negative repeatedly. Still waiting on unblinding, but that'll be one less set of shots to worry about at least.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

davebo posted:

Yeah, they've been sitting on approval waiting for Pfizer because they want to "be fair" to the poor pharmaceutical giant. It's not like parents have already been nervously waiting over two years. Also who here is looking forward to taking their kids for 3 shots of Pfizer instead of 2 of moderna?

The delay for Moderna approval to allow Pfizer to submit is such complete and total horseshit that I kind of expect them to only approve Pfizer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Pfizer study participants will be unblinded once any vaccine receives EUA for the age group. So if Moderna alone receives approval it would ruin the Pfizer study as placebo-kid parents decide to get actual shots in their legs.

"Who cares?" I don't know, but they probably figure it's better to have two proven and approved vaccines for kids than just one, even if it means a short term delay.

It's not just some Pfizer kick-back scheme though, like there's a legitimate reason to do it this way even you may (rightfully, arguably) disagree with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given ongoing supply shortages for stuff as critical as infant formula, having a backup vaccine seems like a good idea

Edit: still mad I'm having to wait to find out about how many extra shots she'll need, as they're rolling out boosters for other kids

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 23, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Day two of quarantine:

First kid still testing obviously positive. Like the test line shows up way before the control line. Although I don't know if that suggests anything about viral load. Second kid is still testing negative (as we are too). Both the kids are pretty snotty, which is typical, but otherwise no other symptoms and I hope it stays that way.

Now, we test our kids pretty frequently and, of course, they hate it. We test them pretty much anytime they pop a fever or otherwise are suspiciously sick. I wasn't planning on testing them Monday morning except my son snot rocketed into my hand and so I threw it into the tube for the heck of it. Had I not tested him they would've gone to daycare this week and probably still be there. Which is another way of saying I'm certain there's kids right now with COVID and don't know it.

We've since learned that one of the staff in my son's room is out with COVID. They were not going to make that information public. It's weird, because we do get occasional messages about positive cases but they clearly aren't reporting all of them--including our kids. I wonder if there's some kind of state-reported testing that they're obligated to message.

I mean, I get it. The alternative to running a daycare in this mode is quarantining entire rooms after an exposure, and that also sounds awful, but maybe it keeps kids from getting sick? They could've at least responded to our letter where we asked them to preserve masking among shared-resource staff to minimize room-hopping exposure.

Nobody cares anymore. I really hope none of these kiddos end up with MIS-C.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 24, 2022

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, my son got it at the start of the year, which was a GREAT 4th birthday gift. He had a 101 fever all week but didn't slow down and didn't care. He did want to be in the cool finished basement, but otherwise it was normal. I was worn the gently caress out at the end of that week, holy poo poo.

He definitely got it from daycare, we didn't take him anywhere, and we went minimal places and were always masked, and my wife and I are vaxxed and boosted. But yet he was the only one out, and no one else reported it. And because I got him tested on Monday, it had been long enough since he was in daycare that they didn't have to close anything. :| He had the fever all weekend, it came from there.

People don't care, and schools/daycares are having a hard enough time getting staff that isolating rooms would probably make them close whole rooms for an exposure. A neighbor quit her job running a (different) daycare because she couldn't deal with the stress and blame shifting.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Our daycare reports positive exposures for staff and students and kids over 2 have to rapid test each of the consecutive five days after that exposure before coming in (or you can choose to keep them home). It’s not perfect but tbh it’s been a pretty decent system that doesn’t completely screw everyone over and they haven’t really had any in-class transmission so I’ll take it. Our area has comparatively low rates and decent public health compliance though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That's a pretty good system especially since a box of five tests is only $35. drat.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Our daycare has the same system, in fact we just tested our kid this morning. Massachusetts even provides the tests for kids over 2, but since our son is under 2 we have to buy them ourselves.

He’s been exposed at daycare like 4 times now and somehow still hasn’t caught it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The general rule for our daycare is that a class with an exposure will be closed for at least five days and everyone needs a negative test within 72 hours before returning. We got notice on Mother's Day of an exposure in a different classroom; took the baby in that Monday morning to see it was the toddler room (I presume because nobody was there). The baby and toddler classes are in one big room that's been split into two smaller sections, with staff crossover when someone needs covering, so it wasn't exactly shocking that we got a notice that evening that there'd been an exposure in the infants room. Of course, baby woke up with a fever that Tuesday the 10th, and to nobody's surprise her PCR that afternoon was positive. My husband and I ended up getting it too, but I think on the whole it wasn't too bad. We're all out of isolation and mostly just coughing still. I did get a chest xray yesterday to check for walking pneumonia but it was just still the covid stuff.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The CDC put out this wonderful new tweet about the risks of covid and it's just loving ridiculous that they still won't authorize vaccines for under 5 yet when they know that 1 in 5 people gets possibly permanent systemic damage from a COVID infection.

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1529147728068063232

All this on top of having adjusted the way they report COVID spread to be basically solely based on hospitalizations, a known lagging indicator that by the time it spikes it is way too late to do anything about the majority of the people who are gonna get sick and die.

So keep y'all selves as safe as you can.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

The CDC put out this wonderful new tweet about the risks of covid and it's just loving ridiculous that they still won't authorize vaccines for under 5 yet when they know that 1 in 5 people gets possibly permanent systemic damage from a COVID infection.
Don't worry this is only in 18+.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This thread makes me both more and less terrified about having a kid. How did you folks get through??

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This thread makes me both more and less terrified about having a kid. How did you folks get through??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Had a bunch of patients die (most expectedly, a few not), so we were over staffed. I got to go home a couple hours early. Took a nap, and dreamed about a horrific, bloody death that I had been there for several years ago. Woke up with my heart pounding, sweaty, nauseous…

Then picked up my kids from daycare and had breakfast for dinner so all is well!!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You just do. You post here when you’ve had it and get some commiseration, you talk to friends who also have kids and get sympathy. Overall having kids is the best thing ever, it’s so amazing and wonderful and your kids are the best people you will ever know, it’s so much fun.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 26, 2022