Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/faridaily_/status/1529782549492514816

:laffo: Putin brought up Mercedes 600 as an example of a luxury purchase that may become insignificantly more expensive to procure.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/3insy/status/1529772070913167361

Russia says in the same announcement that they’re not to blame for grain ship blockade from Ukraine, and that Ukrainian grain exports will resume when sanctions against Russia are lifted.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Yikes Germany, this drawing is supposed to be Zelenskyy from Süddeutsche Zeitung
https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1529743341998510087

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1529708851401990146

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

drat the looks on these people's faces tells a story. It would be funny if you didn't know what happened beforehand.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I hope that van has a nice day :)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
My favorite gag from Red Alert 2 was the allied propaganda van that invades sovIet territory going “free TV’s!” And turns the populace against you

This is like that but everyone just shrugs at their poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Atreiden posted:

Yikes Germany, this drawing is supposed to be Zelenskyy from Süddeutsche Zeitung
https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1529743341998510087

I dunno if this was meant to be anti-Semitic instead of a failed metaphor for the Ukraine issue dominating everything else but, still, woof

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I dunno if this was meant to be anti-Semitic instead of a failed metaphor for the Ukraine issue dominating everything else but, still, woof

Man what bullshit the country that's trying to fight for its existence is distracting us from other big issues like how can we steal more from workers around the world

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The cool thing about anti-Semitism is that when you draw a Jewish guy with a big nose and beady eyes looming over a meeting of world economic leaders, it IS anti-Semitic, no matter what you might have intended.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ought ten posted:

The cool thing about anti-Semitism is that when you draw a Jewish guy with a big nose and beady eyes looming over a meeting of world economic leaders, it IS anti-Semitic, no matter what you might have intended.

It's not even recognizable as Zelenskiy. It looks like a generic caricature of a shifty mediterranean/jew/arab/etc. Why does he have enormous moobs?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

He looks more Greek than anything.

It is also funny that Russian media portrays him as a Coke addict, and in this photo he has man boobs. I didn't know man boobs and Coke went together

--

It is funny that we're seeing the t62s come out when we joked about load-bearing t62s about 10,000 pages ago

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Man what bullshit the country that's trying to fight for its existence is distracting us from other big issues like how can we steal more from workers around the world

Yes, you've just rephrased the point I was making. Congratulations?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

FishBulbia posted:

It's an issue of expectations. After winning the battle of Kyiv, a lot of people expected the war to end, but simply due to the scale of Russia it is likely that Ukraine will have to accept a victory that may look like a defeat ie loss of DNR/LNR and Crimea. That will be a political dangerous moment for Ukraine.
Arestovych on concessions: Bite me, fuckers
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1529556989805744132?cxt=HHwWiMCykc7-iboqAAAA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes, you've just rephrased the point I was making. Congratulations?

That was the point friend I'm agreeing with you.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

ought ten posted:

yea just to underline this
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1529760454708539392

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Feels slightly ironic that (the shittier half of) russian in laws are the only people that have ever used "jew/jewish" at me with real malice in it, rather than being lovely south park repeaters. Or calling my wife a jewish slut which is double ironic cuz my hebrew rear end never goes to temple but she does go to church most sundays.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, which question are you trying to ask? Is it more reliable than RT, or is it 100% reliable? There’s “slight” difference between the two.

Kyiv Independent is a crowd-funded journal, whereas RT is an explicit state disinformation arm, currently tasked with covering up a genocide. Will Kyiv Independent’s reporting contain Ukrainian propaganda? Sure, but what’s their propaganda about - the crime of self-defence?

In my experience, their reporting is fairly good for staying up-to-date with direct quotes of Ukrainian and Russian officials, but the quality does drop a bit for them parsing foreign stuff.

I was wondering if it was more reliable than RT regarding Ukraine War reporting specifically, yeah. I checked RT occasionally for a long while, before it got made illegal in Europe and I’m not interested enough to find out how to use a proxy to access a website that spouts bullshit, even though presumably that would only take me about 5 minutes to figure out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

I was wondering if it was more reliable than RT regarding Ukraine War reporting specifically, yeah. I checked RT occasionally for a long while, before it got made illegal in Europe and I’m not interested enough to find out how to use a proxy to access a website that spouts bullshit, even though presumably that would only take me about 5 minutes to figure out.

Alex Jones is more reliable than RT regarding Ukraine War.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I have faith that despite likely a sizeable portion of the conservative apparatus in the US eventually shifting away from supporting Ukraine, the MIC will ultimately keep them in-line as they've got equally effective hooks in their representatives and won't want to kill that golden goose.

Right now as ghoulish as it is to admit, the US is winning so thoroughly on the world stage against russia that as long as Ukrainians are willing to fight and die to make war against russia there's no good tactical reason for the US to thwart that carnage or remove the sanctions until russia collapses entirely or is subsumed by a more rational actor like China. The longer the clock ticks the more russian military operators are killed, the less military equipment is left to russia, and the more fractured/hobbled their economy gets. I see talk of the war lasting months or even years now and I honestly can't even fathom what russia looks like after a year of this because its so apocalyptic in the lifestyle shift even the majority of russians grew accustomed to this last generation.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

DandyLion posted:

I have faith that despite likely a sizeable portion of the conservative apparatus in the US eventually shifting away from supporting Ukraine, the MIC will ultimately keep them in-line as they've got equally effective hooks in their representatives and won't want to kill that golden goose.

Right now as ghoulish as it is to admit, the US is winning so thoroughly on the world stage against russia that as long as Ukrainians are willing to fight and die to make war against russia there's no good tactical reason for the US to thwart that carnage or remove the sanctions until russia collapses entirely or is subsumed by a more rational actor like China. The longer the clock ticks the more russian military operators are killed, the less military equipment is left to russia, and the more fractured/hobbled their economy gets. I see talk of the war lasting months or even years now and I honestly can't even fathom what russia looks like after a year of this because its so apocalyptic in the lifestyle shift even the majority of russians grew accustomed to this last generation.

From a cynical perspective it's also useful for America to be seen as the helpful ones, it gives all the European countries cover domestically and it helps isolate philosophical differences that America can use down the road as a "Unlike you, we actually give a poo poo."

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

My usual morning mapper hasn't updated so here's one of the accounts he bases his stuff on

Details on Popasna direction mostly
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1529820059916328960?s=20&t=KgjdptalCYWu9RV75KW5ZQ
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1529820067696812032?s=20&t=KgjdptalCYWu9RV75KW5ZQ
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1529820072335708160?s=20&t=KgjdptalCYWu9RV75KW5ZQ
some other updates:

Russians appear to have taken the bulk of Lyman, but would have to cross a river to proceed from there
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1529827134604079104?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg
It appears Ukraine is reinforcing Sieverodonetsk rather than pulling away
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1529823891706679297?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg
I've seen a couple of reports of successful Ukrainian counterattacks on the highway
https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1529800768718446593?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg
Update from Ukrainian commander in chief:
https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1529815687706955776?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1529807051463041025?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg
Meanwhile possible command change by the Russians in Donbas
https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1529780946509209603?s=20&t=NhnYDcMevfFsmoHZrG1nKg

Long today, I know.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

From a cynical perspective it's also useful for America to be seen as the helpful ones, it gives all the European countries cover domestically and it helps isolate philosophical differences that America can use down the road as a "Unlike you, we actually give a poo poo."

From a cynical perspective this is great for pretty much everyone except Russia. Ukraine gets the weapons it needs to defend itself - they'd fight without them but the US efforts make things easier and improve their odds at outright winning. Europe gets to stifle the ambitions of the genocidal rear end in a top hat next door trying to destabilize the region. The US gets to help out a bunch of allies, maintains stability in Europe, builds its own credibility, and more selfishly gets to watch Russia, which had positioned itself as a geopolitical rival, blow up its own credibility, military, and economy. Politicians get to look like they're supporting something popular and good - and for the conservatives they also get to look strong.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What is really staggering is how total the opposition to Russia is at the citizen level, aside from Serbia and Hungary, and how strongly it's shifted from just a year before. Before this year Putin had essential bought into practically every avenue of the Right, from the NRA in America, to Le Pen in France and the property market in London. They could do anything and there would be plenty of tabloid reading Muppets defending them.

Now their support base is down to depressed neets who have literally zero influence. Just twenty years of building a massive infrastructure of foreign influence flushed away for the benefit of what is absolutely trivial gains.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1529800768718446593

The bigger news than the destruction of that checkpoint seems to be the fact that the Russians apparently had boots on that fuckin highway??

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

The bigger news than the destruction of that checkpoint seems to be the fact that the Russians apparently had boots on that fuckin highway??

Wouldn't be the first time Russian troops ended up sent unsupported way ahead of the front to hold something under the assumption heavy support would ride in ASAP to meet them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

From a cynical perspective this is great for pretty much everyone except Russia.

Seems to me like this situation really sucks for Ukraine and Ukrainians.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

No, I'm pretty sure US support for Ukraine in this war does not in fact really suck for Ukraine and Ukrainians.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

No, I'm pretty sure US support for Ukraine in this war does not in fact really suck for Ukraine and Ukrainians.

My bad, I was considering circumstances of the war other than purely from the perspective of US arms and aid flow.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

You can direct your criticism to the Russian embassy.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

My bad, I was considering circumstances of the war other than purely from the perspective of US arms and aid flow.

I mean the entire world including Ukraine, Russia, and the United States would be better off if Russia just hadn't done this (or 2014, or the other earlier frozen conflicts) in the first place.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Morrow posted:

You can direct your criticism to the Russian embassy.

Did you interpret my post as pro-Russia?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Bug Squash posted:

What is really staggering is how total the opposition to Russia is at the citizen level, aside from Serbia and Hungary, and how strongly it's shifted from just a year before. Before this year Putin had essential bought into practically every avenue of the Right, from the NRA in America, to Le Pen in France and the property market in London. They could do anything and there would be plenty of tabloid reading Muppets defending them.

Now their support base is down to depressed neets who have literally zero influence. Just twenty years of building a massive infrastructure of foreign influence flushed away for the benefit of what is absolutely trivial gains.

This is why it's so ridiculous when people try to act like the West is to blame for this war and say things like, "Russia had to protect its national security interests. It had no choice!"

Even if Ukraine didn't put up a fight and Russia achieved all of its military objectives quickly (I'm not sure how likely this was seen as pre-war), Russia would still be screwed. Its soft power would be dead throughout the world, it would still be hit with similar sanctions, more countries would still join NATO. These were easily foreseeable consequences.

How was invading Ukraine supposed to put Russia in a stronger position?

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I don't think Russia expected the sanctions to be as severe as they were, on top of expecting that the invasion would go much more smoothly and I guess without any kind of insurgency afterwards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

They approached it within a few kilometres yesterday, that’s not surprising to hear today.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

New Coke posted:

I don't think Russia expected the sanctions to be as severe as they were, on top of expecting that the invasion would go much more smoothly and I guess without any kind of insurgency afterwards.

That's what I hear.

quote:

Shkabatur said Moscow likely “expected the sanctions on the banks, similar to the sanctions imposed on Russia in 2014 over Crimea. It also expected the personal sanctions on people in [Russian President Vladimir] Putin’s inner circle, which were unpleasant but not huge, and knew that some assets would be frozen.”

However, the scale of the sanctions now affects “not just the oligarchs and the ruling elite, but the country as a whole” and the isolation of Russia is now “growing more and more significant,” she described.

Fadlon said the sanctions on Russia’s central banks have been particularly potent since Moscow “has built up its currency reserves to about $630 billion, but now 60% of it is frozen in foreign countries.”
https://www.timesofisrael.com/unprecedented-scale-of-sanctions-corporate-boycott-take-russia-by-surprise/

What I've read is that Russia really didn't plan on not being able to use the currency reserves it had built up.

I may have overstated my case that these sanctions were predictable, but clearly they should have expected more response than in 2014 for invading a whole country.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.

William Bear posted:

How was invading Ukraine supposed to put Russia in a stronger position?

I suppose by either bringing Ukraine back to fold through regime change and occupation or by carving off a large enough chunk that Ukraine would be so weakened that it would have to follow Kremlin's demands. At the same time a stellar performance by Russian armed forces would have shown everyone that Russia needs to be respected.

But apart from the military operation failing from the beginning, Putin had no idea how strongly the west would react. The expectation was more like the reaction of Hungary where Orban condemned the attack but is refusing to boycott Russian energy.

Just goes to show that only because you were once a spy doesn't mean that you are an expert on intelligence.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s entirely possible that if Kyiv’s government fell in a fait accompli type dissolution and regime change, the sanctions would have been less severe. Stuff like blowing up towns and murdering civilians in a protracted fight led to some of the later sanctions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Just goes to show that only because you were once a spy doesn't mean that you are an expert on intelligence.

Being a good intel person requires a lot of skepticism. And Putin largely gutted his intel groups of anyone like that, because to ensure loyalty he needed yes men who would never dare oppose him.

So he got exactly what he wanted.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Did you interpret my post as pro-Russia?

That’s the vibe it gives in the context. No one is going to assume you just figured that page 1578 of thread about war in Ukraine needs a reminder that the country is at war, when your choice of phrase was one step removed from what every “realist” says to argue for ceasing military aid to Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s the vibe it gives in the context. No one is going to assume you just figured that page 1578 of thread about war in Ukraine needs a reminder that the country is at war, when your choice of phrase was one step removed from what every “realist” says to argue for ceasing military aid to Ukraine.

Okay. Since day zero I have thought Russia should not have invaded Ukraine, and it was an aggressive and unjust act, and that’s what I’ve said who knows how many times. I do take it as exceptionally crass to say the situation is “great” for everyone except Russia. It isn’t great. The war sucks, and voyeurs with zero skin in the game continue to act like this is a game where you rack up anti-Russia points the longer the fighting continues. Ukraine and Russia will ultimately decide how this war ends, but it’s not great to have drawn out conflict just because Americans and select Europeans can watch Russian military might die while Americans and other Europeans remain safe. The situation is awful. The fastest way for it to end would be for Russia to just stop. But since that won’t happen any time soon, in the meantime, no, it’s not a great situation.