Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

If you don't have a battery tender such as an Optimate, I suggest you get one so you can keep your battery at 100% when it's not being ridden.
I have a tender, but I forgot/neglected to hook it up last winter so I only have myself to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yummycheese posted:

Anyone ever re-spoke their wheels??

I was cleaning the chain and oiling the filter on the DRZ and realized the rear wheel is F'd. Every spoke is loose and the whole thing is a wobbly mess. I'm worried I wore out the hub or the rim with it having so much play. But I guess its time to pull the wheel off and un lace it and check it all out and try and re-lace it with new spokes.

If it was wobbling that much I'd start looking at replacing bearings and cush rubbers too. How is the sprocket?

Although I guess if the axle was torqued correctly all the play would be on the spokes themselves, so maybe make sure the spoke holes in the hub aren't all wallered out. Is there any metal dust around?

I've never done a motorcycle, but I've done a bike and one helpful thing is color coding or labelling spokes and spoke holes so you get everything lined up right the first time.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 13, 2022

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Took it for a shakedown beating outside the neighborhood :getin:

Then we just have to wrap it in red, brake lights and signals, and chop off the fender struts plus a few odds and ends and we’re back in action.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T-Square posted:

Then we just have to wrap it in red, brake lights and signals, and chop off the fender struts plus a few odds and ends and we’re back in action.

This is just orgasmic

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

This is everything a Sportster should be. Bravo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

T-Square posted:

:hellyeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

This is everything a Sportster should be. Bravo

It is exactly what I picture when I say things like 'a good Harley' or 'a sportster done right', just perfect.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thank you!

Also those Öhlins are allegedly one of three made and are off of one of the Bostrom’s AMA 883 from the 90s, my dad just sorta…had them sitting in his basement parts hoard for a decade or two for reasons! May or may not be true, but it’s cool to think about

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Usually when someone says custom Harley, you think a slammed bagger with giant front wheel and bass boat paint.

Yours looks like it's actually fun to ride, a Sportster with an emphasis on sport. It's beautiful

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

T-Square posted:

This is how it's done. Want to ride.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Put a fender on it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Put a fender on it

Look at this goddamn square next you'll be like 'it needs a chain guard' or 'it's noisy' or some other whiny nonsense

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T-Square posted:

Well this is the coolest bike I’ve seen in a good while.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I am far from a harley person but that owns.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

It is exactly what I picture when I say things like 'a good Harley' or 'a sportster done right', just perfect.

Exactly this. By far the coolest Harley i've ever seen and i'd love to ride something like that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Opulent as gently caress. love it

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well this is the coolest bike I’ve seen in a good while.

Maybe you’ll see me tooling about, I’m in Harley-ville and IIRC you’re SE WI as well

No burnouts likely though, it is very tall and heavy and I am neither of those things :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh nice, I’m mostly in north MKE, but I’m gonna try to make it to the bike nights on Thursday’s at the Iron Horse Hotel. Check them out if you havent

I’m starting off strong by missing the first one of the season last night.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

T-Square posted:

Maybe you’ll see me tooling about, I’m in Harley-ville and IIRC you’re SE WI as well

No burnouts likely though, it is very tall and heavy and I am neither of those things :(

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh nice, I’m mostly in north MKE, but I’m gonna try to make it to the bike nights on Thursday’s at the Iron Horse Hotel. Check them out if you havent

:hfive:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah my old man wants to check out those ones, I’ve been meaning to check out the ones put on by The Litas but I missed all of them last summer lol. Hopefully in a few weeks, I just got a hernia shoved back in this morning so finishing up the bike is gonna have to wait a little bit which is why I made a mad dash to get it rolling this week

No the hernia didn’t come from lifting these heavy rear end mag wheels and dirt tires over and over :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T-Square posted:

You done real good! Wow!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

You have every bit of my sympathy, goon. Had laproscopic hernia repair on March 22 and it was a full month before I had no surgery pain and some strength back.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I had an inguinal hernia repair in 2001 and every now and then if I lift wrong I still get pain at the site for a day or three. Hernias fuckin suck, rest up, try not to laugh, and take stool softeners.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, I’m feeling it that’s for sure.

So naturally I tried wrapping some of the body parts instead of resting including the tail section and uh, it did not go well. I might have enough wrap left to give it another go, but I think I might look into paint options

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Instead of doing the work I brought home, I did that double oil change, fixed the petcock, did a chain wax, and took it for a check ride. Mostly feels about like normal and as far as I can tell all the mechanical juice stayed inside. Clutch friction point seems to be further out since I rebuilt the slave cylinder over the winter. New brake pads/fluid feel a good deal better.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I let my bike sit outside unlocked and uncovered in the rain for days. I got sudden fever chills at work last week, rode home shaking with cold, parked sloppily in a hurry and went straight to bed and stayed there for a long time being too sick to bother with doing anything about it. Oh well, I feel better now and I'm sure the rust on the brake discs will scrub off just like it does on cars as soon as I get on the thing again and ride. Also I missed the try-different-bikes event where I all sorts of neat bikes booked in on saturday (when it wasn't even raining).

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I started working on the rear wheel for my nx 250 this weekend. why? corroded. (its a 17" 83-87 xl250/350 rear rim that is drop in for the stock 16" you have almost no tire choice for)
Crrrusty

Removing the tape pulled up lots of loose stuff.

The edges had started to flake too

New vs old rim. its a slightly different profile than the old, general diameter is +5mm wider to the hump. Factory rims are long gone, and it's not a common size, 36 spoke 2.15 - 17, had a hard time finding any rims in that size at all. It's a Takasago something.

I'm removed the spokes neatly to check lenght not just cut em with an angle grinder, and i'm glad I did. As far as i can see they are not stock length, slightly longer. Not that it matters, as nos stock is also depleted.

I found a swedish spoke manufacurer that has stock lenght kits for the xl rims. I'll bother their support with noob questions.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i dont know if your US based but I just went through this with my drz wheel and http://www.buchananspokes.com kept coming up online as a reputable source.

i called them up and they knew exactly what i needed and were overall pretty helpful.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
hm, they also claim to have proper excel rims the correct size. thanks :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buchanans is legit and should be your first stop when dealing with weird rim and spoke sizes

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Actually I'm deleting this post, and just saying it's been a good day. I will repost it when the time is right.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 25, 2022

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Had to lay ‘er down (because it’s just easier to reach some things I guess)

Exhaust off. Carbs out. These tasks are unrelated.

Should’ve done this two years ago when I got it.

Well that’s good to go. Not sure why it isn’t running, problem must be somewhere else.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Trying out some chemical rust remover. The paint on the weld was blistering. Wirewheeled most of the paint and rust off, now applies the rust goop and we'll see where this goes.
Got some vaguely color similar Hammerite waiting for when the rust is gone

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Revvik posted:

Well that’s good to go. Not sure why it isn’t running, problem must be somewhere else.

Yikes, looks like rusty bits in there you might need to go upstream.

LimaBiker posted:

Trying out some chemical rust remover. The paint on the weld was blistering. Wirewheeled most of the paint and rust off, now applies the rust goop and we'll see where this goes.
Got some vaguely color similar Hammerite waiting for when the rust is gone

The best rattle can I've found for matching most manufacturer's (Honda, especially) silver subframe/swingarm/motor cases is Duplicolor DE1650 cast coat aluminum.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gotta write that down!

Perhaps some day i'll disassemble a considerable part of the bike to make it actually look good again.
For now, i'll have to make do with treating the blistering paint with a wirewheel, derusting gel and some silver hammerite. It makes me kinda sad that it's not gonna be pretty anytime soon, there are just too many edges and corners where rust is starting on the structural parts. I don't have time or energy to do it properly, but i can't not do it because it will just continue to rot and get worse...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Put a new tracker in the bike, seeing as my current provider announced it's death on facebook without actually notifiying paying customers. Really sucks, because they just recently had become feature complete for me.
Had two other options, of which both have serious shortcomings. The one I went with already had me ready to send it back, but the owner offered to refund me and let me keep testing it this season, so I guess I am doing that now. The box has a lot of good ideas, but it's extremely unfinished and buggy.
Really, I just want a device that does two things:
1) Call an ambulance if I crash
2) Let me track my bike if it is stolen

The new solution has huge standby power draw (5mA), but they are apparently working on a hardware solution for that.
Really sucks that apparenlty there were only three companies serving this field and all of them at different levels of quality. I don't understand how the best one (on paper) died first, but there was some investor/startip bullshit going on with them, so probably got killed by that.

Technically I could repurpose the hardware from my old provider (they released the necessary information), but the commercial tracking services that support the hardware are expensive as gently caress and no one provides the crash detection service. Not ready to roll my own software for that.

Really happy I have nice eastern beaver plugs though, just had to depin my old solution because I am an idiot and didn't buy spare plug housings, but only had to crimp on new terminals and am good to go.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

Yikes, looks like rusty bits in there you might need to go upstream.

The best rattle can I've found for matching most manufacturer's (Honda, especially) silver subframe/swingarm/motor cases is Duplicolor DE1650 cast coat aluminum.

Can confirm. Not through my own experience but a friend of mine has done at least two engines and assorted valve covers and other bits with this stuff and it’s held for years and looks great. Takes proper prep of course.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Actually woke up decently early for a change and was able to get out on the road around 10am to hit Forks Of The Credit, and there was no one immediately in front or behind me, and I could ride my ride without worrying about closing in on some slow moving suv. Score!

Then got back to Toronto and I swear it took an hour to get from the highway to home. At least it wasn't too toasty in full leathers. Filled up for the first time this year and yeesh.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Revvik posted:

Whatever else you do, remove the idle jets and make sure you can see daylight. Get a tiny wire or needle and poke the clog out if you can't. This fixed literally every carb problem on my Goldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whatever else you do, make sure to do the thing that you took the carbs apart to do