Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1519016072850153474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

It can be for two reasons!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medieval bestiaries are a wild trip. For example, many bestiaries would describe how the beaver would chew off it's own nuts if hunted and leave them for the hunters:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a Milan in Michigan pronounced "Mai-lan".

Same goes for Milan New Hampshire lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alhazred posted:

Medieval bestiaries are a wild trip. For example, many bestiaries would describe how the beaver would chew off it's own nuts if hunted and leave them for the hunters:

That beaver's just like "why the gently caress do I do this"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just casually chewing off my junk to be casually murdered for my fur, as one does

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hunters come upon that they're just like "yo this things a fucken freak, nvm"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

when they zig you zag

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Broke: pillage foreign lands
Woke: stab some sex freak animal and sell it to the germans

The vikings never died.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Icelanders would sell unicorn horns (Narwhal teeth) to continental southrons at a massive profit for centuries.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

It is probably not supposed to be the balls but the very highly prized castoreum from the balls-like lower belly pouches that exists on all adult beavers no matter the sex. It is like a pee fermenting organ which produces a strong smelling secretion which along with the anal glands is used for marking territory. Humans have used that stuff for magic, folk remedies and fragrance for a really long time.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
And "natural flavoring" in things that taste like vanilla or some berries :science:

Still!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alhazred posted:

TIL there are beavers in Europe

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the feeling a lot of this comes from monks who spend all day indoors painstakingly practicing calligraphy talking to drunken nobles and peasants who say any old bullshit that comes to mind.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

It is probably not supposed to be the balls but the very highly prized castoreum from the balls-like lower belly pouches that exists on all adult beavers no matter the sex. It is like a pee fermenting organ which produces a strong smelling secretion which along with the anal glands is used for marking territory. Humans have used that stuff for magic, folk remedies and fragrance for a really long time.

In the drawing it's supposed to be the balls. The latin word for beaver is castor which some confused with castratio. It was also not common knowledge that it was the anal glands that was supposed to have healing properties (which may have been true, beavers eat the willow tree's bark which contains salicin which can relieve pain) and they went for the testicles instead.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

. It was also not common knowledge that it was the anal glands that was supposed to have healing properties (which may have been true, beavers eat the willow tree's bark which contains salicin which can relieve pain) and they went for the testicles instead.

A millenium-plus and beaver's ball/brown/taint-area still pOwns my hunters

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

i'm a canadian and thus an accredited beaver lawyer and let me reassure you that there WERE beavers in europe but then something happened to their balls

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Are we sure they're not just porcupines?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beavers were kinda unlucky. Their fur were highly sought after. Their anal glands (and balls) were used in medicine and because of a ruling by the pope their tails could be eaten during the fast because it was like a fish. All these things combined led to the beaver being almost hunted to extinction in Europe.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

In the drawing it's supposed to be the balls. The latin word for beaver is castor which some confused with castratio. It was also not common knowledge that it was the anal glands that was supposed to have healing properties (which may have been true, beavers eat the willow tree's bark which contains salicin which can relieve pain) and they went for the testicles instead.

Yes I think it's probably the intent was that it is balls being depicted because neither the artist nor the common man knew that the highly sought-after testicle-like castoreum was, in fact, not the balls. I'm pretty sure they did not use the actual balls for anything special though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

thetoughestbean posted:

That must mean there are beavers in redwall!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Milo and POTUS posted:

That must mean there are beavers in redwall!

Beaver (singular), yes. Book one I think, when he hadn't quite worked out the full series details yet. No records exist on what the beaver eats or whether he has a comedy accent.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*paragraphs-long feast scene but it's all their own balls*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brawnfire posted:

*paragraphs-long feast scene but it's all their own balls*
But enough about my Saturday nights!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Beavers were kinda unlucky. Their fur were highly sought after. Their anal glands (and balls) were used in medicine and because of a ruling by the pope their tails could be eaten during the fast because it was like a fish. All these things combined led to the beaver being almost hunted to extinction in Europe.

Also they gently caress with waterways which was kind of a big deal back in the day.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also they gently caress with waterways which was kind of a big deal back in the day.

A non zero part of my job right now is trying to bring beavers back in so they can go back into loving up rivers. Its great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roblo posted:

A non zero part of my job right now is trying to bring beavers back in so they can go back into loving up rivers. Its great.

Got to thinking about how handy rivers were for quick and/or easy travel locally back in the day, and then remembered my sister and her husband used to ski to work on the river - in the city - because it cut like 90% of travel distance. Last Winter I remember you could do that was maybe 2019?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IIRC you can control where beavers put their dams by putting loud speakers playing the sound of running water. Beavers hate that sound and try to destroy it by making dams

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

IIRC you can control where beavers put their dams by putting loud speakers playing the sound of running water. Beavers hate that sound and try to destroy it by making dams

If they put a dam somewhere where they shouldnt (like, where it floods a road or something) you can put in a "beaver deciever" (which is basically just a pipe through it so they cant stop it leaking) which just confuses the gently caress out of them until they give up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roblo posted:

"beaver deciever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkHpBcIyQY

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

steinrokkan posted:

A millenium-plus and beaver's ball/brown/taint-area still pOwns my hunters
you are a monster

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Roblo posted:

If they put a dam somewhere where they shouldnt (like, where it floods a road or something) you can put in a "beaver deciever" (which is basically just a pipe through it so they cant stop it leaking) which just confuses the gently caress out of them until they give up

please don't gaslight your local wildlife

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

christmas boots posted:

please don't gaslight your local wildlife

Well if it means theyre not getting shot by the local farmer ill take it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Canada they eat beaver tails, the monsters

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"How aboat a nice bag of beaver anus, eh?"

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"How aboat a nice bag of beaver anus, eh?"

Poutine sounds gross

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Roblo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gNAjBPIyjQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Daaa-na-na-na-na-na-na

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1901 the Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization needed money badly. It was decided that simply robbing people would make them look bad but holding people hostage for ransom was acceptable. So in august one the leaders, Yane Sandanski, kidnapped the american missionaries Ellen Maria Stone and Katerina Stefanova-Cilka (who were pregnant at the time). Their demand were 25,000 Tturkish pounds. President Roosevelt denied to pay it, but allowed a private fund raising. They managed to raise 14,000 Tturkish gold liras which the milita accepted and an exchange happened. They then discovered that a sort of reverse stockholm syndrome had happened. The militia had helped Stefanova-Cilka deliver her baby, cared for it and even held a thanksgiving dinner for their hostages. The militia also complained about how Ellen Stone had treated them, saying: "Have you ever found yourself in a position of strong opposition to a middle-aged woman with a determined will all her own? She assuming the attitude that you are a brute and making you feel like a brute?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

Some jamoke introduced them to Patagonia, where they have become an invasive species that has blighted forests that didn't evolve to cope with being chewed up and drowned all the time
https://phys.org/news/2021-04-brought-humans-beavers-threaten-patagonia.html

The New Zealand moose seem to have been much better neighbors