Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

New Balenciaga drop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-z6u5hFgPk

This should explain it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am sorry but what the gently caress is this poo poo. look i like graphic tshirts. bought 6 for 200 bucks from a online store i like but paying 650 bucks for some poo poo that for lovely printed shirt that will probably come off in the wash is lol to me.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dressing like the kid from your 8th grade shop class who was super into Coal Chamber and had a weekend dad.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorry but what the gently caress is this poo poo. look i like graphic tshirts. bought 6 for 200 bucks from a online store i like but paying 650 bucks for some poo poo that for lovely printed shirt that will probably come off in the wash is lol to me.

The upper class will pay top dollar to look like greasy thrift store scarecrows. Anything but step foot in an actual thrift store.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If someone's scamming rich people into buying thrift store crap for hundreds of dollars then more power to them.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
i really wouldn't worry about it.

How people dress and how much or how little they spend on clothing really doesn't matter or effect you in any real way.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I saw a teenager wearing JNCOs and a crop top the other day and the messed up thing? I didn't even try to stop it. I just let it happen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah wearing retro gear is a major faux pas

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just wear jeans and whatever shirt corporate sends out. It's always 3 sizes too big but I've learned to roll with it.

Don't forget your nonslip shoes

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hmmm I'm gonna have to call them up to see if I can pay extra for heavier poop stains

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Where do you put the meat

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TIP posted:

hmmm I'm gonna have to call them up to see if I can pay extra for heavier poop stains

Lol peeled off a real zombie with a putty knife. :hmmyes:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm majored in Fashion, do you want an honest answer about why that exists and why it sucks so you can understand fashion

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

Elentor posted:

I'm majored in Fashion, do you want an honest answer about why that exists and why it sucks so you can understand fashion
I do!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Me too!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waiting for OP to learn about the market pressures that led Gucci to create knockoff styles of its own styles for people who wanted the customized cheap look but without putting effort in

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

OMG what are these weird and inscrutable fabrics humans put on their bodies? Safest bet is dress like a child all your life, ill fitting jeans a hoodie and backwards baseball cap, no thoughts no concerns. Show up in court in your pajamas.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Elentor posted:

Please? I'd also love to know what you learn majoring in fashion. Like at a university?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

AcidCat posted:

OMG what are these weird and inscrutable fabrics humans put on their bodies? Safest bet is dress like a child all your life, ill fitting jeans a hoodie and backwards baseball cap, no thoughts no concerns. Show up in court in your pajamas.

Judge gets a robe. It's only fair.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wendigee posted:

Please? I'd also love to know what you learn majoring in fashion. Like at a university?

Art History, Fashion History, History, Marketing, a lot of studies on Cultural studies, extensive Illustration classes, Statistics, a lot of classes on Design Elements, Symbology, a lot of classes on Construction of Outfits, and CAD or equivalent. In particular, in my university we studied Rhinoceros 3D and other NURBS-based application for 3D modeling of jewelry to try on the uni's 3D printer, back in 2007. We also get Photography and at least in the uni I studied principles of Philosophy.

My thesis was on Colorimetry which is why every now and then I make effortposts about what people get wrong about how colors work/how the brain processes colors.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Elentor posted:

My thesis was on Colorimetry

Is that the study of the subtle color gradients inside the butt?

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Elentor posted:

Art History, Fashion History, History, Marketing, a lot of studies on Cultural studies, extensive Illustration classes, Statistics, a lot of classes on Design Elements, Symbology, a lot of classes on Construction of Outfits, and CAD or equivalent. In particular, in my university we studied Rhinoceros 3D and other NURBS-based application for 3D modeling of jewelry to try on the uni's 3D printer, back in 2007. We also get Photography and at least in the uni I studied principles of Philosophy.

My thesis was on Colorimetry which is why every now and then I make effortposts about what people get wrong about how colors work/how the brain processes colors.

Don't waste your time explaining here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Fashion operates on like a 20 year cycle and also the weird poo poo on the runway is just poo poo they do for attention, like the auto manufacturers do with concept cars. If it actually gets enough attention, they make a watered down version of it to sell and if that does well enough, it gets filtered down to cheaper versions and knockoffs until it's passe and then the cycle continues. It's not that difficult to understand the basic concept.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Elentor posted:

Okay that's cool I guess. A relative got a masters in art history for some reason.

okay... so why is wearing a suit you bought from the local thrift store that was so large you jaggedly cut it off then somehow resold it for 3500 dollars on some web site fashion?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
do more cocaine OP

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Fashion is just another way to criticize and demean women

You're welcome op

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFLuxAWQfyA

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
it's the art of brainwashing the proud OP

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Google "conspicuous consumption", there's very little else to understand wrt fashion.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Elentor posted:

That's a lot of words spent not answering a pretty direct question

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and let me tell ya, i'm doing some beholdin'

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

putin is a oval office posted:

contemporary art, everybody!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fashion as an abstract concept is the study of the elements that humans (and other animals) use to distinguish themselves; it's fundamentally linked to tribalism and signaling.

So the study of fashion has an important historical value; since fashion is the foremost way to signal something implicitly to avoid having to explain yourself explicitly, you can find the links (and reconstruct the missing links) throughout all the history and even prehistory of humanity. We can reconstruct the peregrination of our ancestors based on the evolution of their outfits in burial sites as far as 800,000 years ago; starting 50,000 years ago we have a pretty solid idea of who moved where based on artifacts and symbolism from art found, but fashion tends to be a stronger indicator across all periods because the amount of civilizations that buried their dead with symbols that represented status or achievements is pretty high.

The Fashion as an industry is highly segregated, with different designers and magazines having very different opinions; the generations also vary wildly. For example, John Oliver has a great video on the cultural issues faced by black people due to having ethnic hair and for many years the industry as a whole focused on non-African hair; this created an issue because both your cheap *and* your premium L'Oreal group products are not good at all for ethnic hair. Millennials who joined the Fashion industry tried to dissociate some of the cultural stigma that was revived with regards to black culture, in particular the revival of Afrofuturism, which had peaked with Disco, is a very important step in moving society away from the preconception and stereotypes that black people are primitive. The other thing was an update of the Black Power movement - which has a very obvious name - and broadening into different hairstyles for black people to express themselves. Because traditional conditioners are not nutritive enough for black hair, it became standard to use alternative oils, like coconut oil, and since social prejudice works retroactively those scents became associated with poverty (that John Oliver video goes on it). So as an example of a recent movement, the Haircare industry loving finally incorporated coconut oil in hair lines for black people. Kérastase recently released the Kérastase Curl Manifesto (a very hilarious name but it does describe the importance of it), and some of its incredibly expensive products, such as the Huile Curl, incorporate coconut oil.

This small microcosmos of the Fashion industry revolves around political and social movements focused on normalization. In this sense, the inherent study of classism allows to exploit it to normalize over the years/decades (or sometimes just months). If a rich person wearing Kérastase products for their curly hair smell like coconut oil, then that particular scent is no longer tied down to as "not caring about your hair", which is downright ludicrous.

Fancy fashion shows, especially those hosted by Vogue, are like the E3 of fashion. They're not really representative of anything except Fashion as seen by that particular group, which does have a lot of influence, but to make a game analogy it does not touch on your average mobile game player, or your average moba player, or anyone not interested in the show they're putting on for AAA consoles. These tend to focus on experimental concepts, either the subversion of standing norms, the revival of previous styles that fell out of vogue, or just going crazy just because.

Balenciaga in particular is a gimmick brand. When you're dealing with these high-end brands it's useful to keep in mind they sort of have gimmicks, if you don't know about them then they might look just as one big blob. When Marc Jacobs left Louis Vuitton he satirized the overuse of LV's self-referential monogram, which other brands copied, with this:

This tongue-in-cheek approach is an intentional contrast with LV's incredibly serious use as just class statement. MJ does stupid stuff like this:

quote:

Lace-up front, exaggerated sole. Tongue label reads “The Marc Jacobs sports shoes are not manufactured for world champion athletes because we do not know the first thing about sports”

To contrast with the completely insipid brown-filled-with-LV-logo look from LV, which exists for no other purpose than to show you can afford a Louis Vuitton:

So then you get to Balenciaga. In contrast with some of the examples I gave, the "dirty, expensive shoes" do not exist to normalize people who wear dirty shoes: Rather they exist to allow people to have that look while still maintaining as ostentatious air. It's the same reason why there are $10 white shirts that look indistinguishable from fancy brand's $1000 white shirts. They're not a scam, because the people buying them know exactly what they're buying, and they're not sold as 500% more resistant. Rather they're just what we see as a way to funnel money from the rich who wants to dress like poo poo but not feel bad about it.

All of it is highly contextual, but as a general rule of thumb: If you, someone who doesn't understand anything about fashion, finds something ridiculous, it's because it is. No one in the fashion business or adjacent is looking at that bizarre cropped blazer the OP posted and thinking it's great. However, whether that "ridiculous" has context or not, varies - some artists like Billie Eilish are easily identifiable by her use of over-the-top fashion like the Balenciaga examples. In that sense, these elements become part of self-representation, but the more specific they go the less they become representative of a group, and more of an individual. If that fashion is trickled down, however, as a response to people actively finding way to imitate said individuals to signal their culture, then these ridiculous one pieces become part of society as they're not identifying something, usually bought at accessible discount prices 10 to 100 times cheaper than the original terrible ideas that originated them.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 29, 2022

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Fashion is just another way to criticize and demean women

You're welcome op

hmm i wanna see hear more about this

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

i really wouldn't worry about it.

How people dress and how much or how little they spend on clothing really doesn't matter or effect you in any real way.

oh i know. after covid i finally started just buying dumb clothes i liked because gently caress it plus i work remote. i just find it funny that dumb rich fucks would buy a cheap jersey shore level cheap rear end print shirt for for 650.

TIP posted:

poo poo they should by my lovely 7 year old newbalance sneakers.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

putin is a oval office posted:

They said "I'd also love to know what you learn majoring in fashion." and I answered partially, since it's more than just that. Sorry that you consider that tiny post "a lot of words", I just typed a shitload more, hth.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
stop explaining the joke, it stops being funny >:[

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Thank you this was actually a really good effort post.

I understand it a bit now at least so thanks for taking the time to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Elentor posted:

Do you think Fashion still exists in 2022 or are we just repeating things from 30 years ago?