Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

wait i thought when she called kimiko's brother a yellow bastard she meant he was a coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
whaf it homelander is bad

I need a listicle of all his misdeeds and high quality content like that takes time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

so hype to read the top five WTF moments of this episode!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
libs mad i see

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

you mean I have to WAIT to eat this marshmallow this is torture call the hague

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

tokin opposition posted:

Lol you think mass media is worth remembering

It's television, if you want something to really spurn your artistic desire for beauty or whatever read a book or listen to a symphony or something

This show is about superman but bad, there's nothing to take in. Just enjoy the punch man fights and funny swearing Brit guy

Yeah, being elitist over "classical" stuff is just as stupid because classical stuff used to be mass media. It was just the stuff that stuck around because it was well put together. Haydn wrote an entire symphony to prank audiences who kept falling asleep during his concerts, Mozart was a total manchild, and the Beethoven was basically a hosed up child star due to his father wanting to make money off of his talent after seeing how much money Mozart's father was making off of HIS son.

Charles Dickens wrote a christmas carol for a quick paycheck and purportedly didn't like that particular story himself, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was Lewis Carol railing against modern abstract maths, many classical works have very basic or hosed up backstories. Even Mozart's Requiem was commissioned by a guy who was likely planning on stealing it and claiming it was his own work (the commissioner was a notorious plagiarist).

I'm not saying that Invincible or The Boys is going to last for hundreds of years, I'm just putting it into perspective.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BioEnchanted posted:

Charles Dickens wrote a christmas carol for a quick paycheck and purportedly didn't like that particular story himself, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was Lewis Carol railing against modern abstract maths, many classical works have very basic or hosed up backstories. Even Mozart's Requiem was commissioned by a guy who was likely planning on stealing it and claiming it was his own work (the commissioner was a notorious plagiarist).

I don't think it was the ENTIRE reason he wrote it like he did, but I like that C.S Lewis appears to have written a significant chunk of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to troll JRR Tolkien :allears:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

merging my consciousness into the hyperverse to attend a class on early 21st century 90 Day Fiance

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
can we just get discussion on batch release vs. week by week release for every show contained in a thread where people who find that interesting can talk about it, and we can just talk about the shows specifically in these threads?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I hope homelander and butcher can kiss this season the sexual tension is off the charts

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think it was the ENTIRE reason he wrote it like he did, but I like that C.S Lewis appears to have written a significant chunk of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe to troll JRR Tolkien :allears:

"You know what I'm putting in MY fantasy?"
"What?"
"...a lamppost"
"YOU SON OF A BITCH"
"Santa is gonna be in there too"
"YOU CAN'T PUT SANTA IN FANTASY YOU BASTARD"
"Jesus is gonna be a lion lol"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
books loving suck dont even joke about that.

those who can't: write.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

I hope homelander and butcher can kiss this season the sexual tension is off the charts

:hmmyes:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

tokin opposition posted:

You can dub your media onto a vhs if you want. Play your own ads in between scenes. Make set the captions to look like poo poo too

Sorry you can't live in the cyber future where media comes out when it's done instead of arbitrary delays for marketing purposes

I thought this is the future where things get released on delay, making babies like you throw a tantrum?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, being elitist over "classical" stuff is just as stupid because classical stuff used to be mass media. It was just the stuff that stuck around because it was well put together. Haydn wrote an entire symphony to prank audiences who kept falling asleep during his concerts, Mozart was a total manchild, and the Beethoven was basically a hosed up child star due to his father wanting to make money off of his talent after seeing how much money Mozart's father was making off of HIS son.

I'm not saying that Invincible or The Boys is going to last for hundreds of years, I'm just putting it into perspective.

Back in the day the opera was people's main source of entertainment, both rich and poor. If the audience liked it they'd sing along with the performers, if they didn't they'd heckle and throw poo poo at the cast.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Reading interviews with Jensen Ackles and he says he had to insist on a rewrite because he couldn’t film a particular scene. “As a father of 3, as a son, as a husband… I can’t do that.” and it took Kripke moving heaven and earth but they found a compromise and Ackles went ahead and did it. Sounds like Season 3 is pushing the envelope of what Amazon will even allow, gotta say my hype is really building.

I got my wife to watch this show this month so we can watch the new season together, as she loves Jensen Ackles and is excited to see him in something new. She's enjoying pointing out all the Supernatural cast that is currently in show, or have had at least cameos here and there. There's been a few times where she's asked, loudly, "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" during one of the many really hosed up scenes in season one. I forgot how wonderfully hosed up this show is and I normally shy away from gore and edgy material. Honestly, it really shows how great this show is telling its story and entertaining while not getting all the shocking poo poo get in the way. I think that's hard to do.

She's nervous now after a full season because she's not sure what to expect from Ackles' character. I'm curious too, considering I never read the comics. Although my understanding they deviate quite a bit from the source material in a way that is generally liked, which again is a pretty difficult to do.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Ubersandwich posted:

I got my wife to watch this show this month so we can watch the new season together, as she loves Jensen Ackles and is excited to see him in something new. She's enjoying pointing out all the Supernatural cast that is currently in show, or have had at least cameos here and there. There's been a few times where she's asked, loudly, "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" during one of the many really hosed up scenes in season one. I forgot how wonderfully hosed up this show is and I normally shy away from gore and edgy material. Honestly, it really shows how great this show is telling its story and entertaining while not getting all the shocking poo poo get in the way. I think that's hard to do.

She's nervous now after a full season because she's not sure what to expect from Ackles' character. I'm curious too, considering I never read the comics. Although my understanding they deviate quite a bit from the source material in a way that is generally liked, which again is a pretty difficult to do.

My theory is that Soldier Boy is Captain America, except a racist, who they have chained up for decades to harvest his dna for compound V. Then Butcher lets him loose and he goes Godzilla on anything/anyone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It would be kind of lame if they just did the exact same plot of S2 again, by having a famous person from ageless compound V history joining the cast to wear a uniform and be a dog whistling Nazi , so I doubt that’s gonna be the take, at least not for more than an episode.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

soldier boy is regular homelander racist rather than nazi stormfront racist

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think Homelander is even racist. He just think he's better than everyone. I guess he also hates anyone disabled or with a deformity.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think Homelander is even racist. He just think he's better than everyone. I guess he also hates anyone disabled or with a deformity.

lol on brand

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think Soldier Boy will be a more 1980s Contra/Modern Blackwater mercenary kind of hosed up than Stormfront's WW2 nazi kind of hosed up

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AnEdgelord posted:

I think Soldier Boy will be a more 1980s Contra/Modern Blackwater mercenary kind of hosed up than Stormfront's WW2 nazi kind of hosed up

So Rambo First Blood kind of character?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What if soldier boy is actually normally a decent fella but the process of being super just made him really unstable and prone to losing his poo poo

So he’s still dangerous but not because he’s an rear end in a top hat per se

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

loving lol

https://youtu.be/WEyrJ-sCGVo

Zil posted:

So Rambo First Blood kind of character?

First Blood Rambo was suffering severe PTSD and didn’t want to hurt anyone that wasn’t trying to hurt him, in fact pointedly not killing anyone intentionally, nor was he at all racist or gung-ho for imperialism

I’m expecting more of a piss-take on the insane stupid ideology of the captain falcon series

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its incredible how the creative team takes The Boys, a great but horrifically flawed series, and surgically extracts the best parts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember two things- one was how he mutilated that expy Daredevil, and the other was how the first time Stormfront when off on her master race race tangent he gave her a look like "ooo.....kay?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GD_American posted:

I remember two things- one was how he mutilated that expy Daredevil, and the other was how the first time Stormfront when off on her master race race tangent he gave her a look like "ooo.....kay?"

Also the whole "literally dressed in the American flag" thing and having huge gently caress-off Judge Dredd pauldrons. Even if he doesn't fill out the costume ideologically, he has absolutely no problems wearing it and doing whatever that brings with it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

*character speaks disparagingly of non-white people, calling them camel jockeys and murdering bystanders without thought, uses the phrase ‘mud people’, only uses the word ‘attaboy’ while condescending to the one black guy on the team, and when the overwhelming whiteness of supes is brought up deflects that nah they have a token black dude and a dude who totally doesn’t identify as any race since he uh wears a mask*

goons: doesn’t look like anything to me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When did he say "mud people"? I remember all the other racist poo poo, but one of the touches I thought was neat was the out and out Nazi poo poo left him kinda befuddled (although obv by no means a dealbreaker for him)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Did we ever find out if stormfront is a Nazi or not

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Homelander is American racist, which is a slightly different flavour than Purestrain Nazi brand, but while it wasn’t his usual he was still cool with it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i dont think homelander is not racist or anything but from that last conversation with stormfront he definitely thinks that being a nazi is loser poo poo, both from the perspective of getting people to like you and from the perspective of identifying with anyone who doesn't have super powers

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Did we ever find out if stormfront is a Nazi or not

idk i think that scene of her with a-train was about how he doesn’t like sjw haircuts??

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheeee posted:

*character speaks disparagingly of non-white people, calling them camel jockeys and murdering bystanders without thought, uses the phrase ‘mud people’, only uses the word ‘attaboy’ while condescending to the one black guy on the team, and when the overwhelming whiteness of supes is brought up deflects that nah they have a token black dude and a dude who totally doesn’t identify as any race since he uh wears a mask*

goons: doesn’t look like anything to me

He speaks disparagingly of everyone. I mean that he doesn't actively hate any race more than any other, he just truly doesn't care about anyone. I'm not disputing that he's some nice guy since he is a psycho murderer that only cares about fame and money.

When Stormfront was talking about white genocide the look on his face was like "what the... this is quaint, I guess." He's beyond racism, he just hates every single person on the planet.

I saw the Maria Menounos scene as more of a joke about the Oscars from the writer rather than any real viewpoint from Homelander

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 30, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
To Homelander there are four races: Himself, Supes that aren't him, non-supes, and Mommy figures that he may or may not want to have sex with.

He's absorbed a bunch of other poo poo just from the general white culture surrounding him, but I'm pretty sure this is as far as he's consciously analyzed any of it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

christmas boots posted:

He's absorbed a bunch of other poo poo just from the general white culture surrounding him, but I'm pretty sure this is as far as he's consciously analyzed any of it.

yes this is how most racism manifests

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I don't think anyone transcends being a racist just because they also abuse other people -- and he's clearly assimilated racist thinking into his ideology so this seems pretty open and shut.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone transcends being a racist just because they also abuse other people -- and he's clearly assimilated racist thinking into his ideology so this seems pretty open and shut.

it took this thread a bunch of pages to work out that stormfront was a nazi

but we'll get there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i do not stan vought as a POC in power because i'm a strasserite and hate all minorities. less black billionaires!!! vote bernie 2024