Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/f0fmS1WEm3s

Alvin and Kendall continue to be more fun to watch than the actual owner of the channel

He should maybe consider becoming a Jimmy James-type goofy boss instead of the protagonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Been watching Cutthroat Kitchen on Hulu. It's absolutely insane how many chefs say out loud to the camera some variation of "Chef so-and-so is my biggest competitor, so I'm gonna make sure they get a sabotage" or "Chef so-and-so is the only one without a sabotage so I'm gonna make sure they get one too" -- it isn't about winning, you morons! All you have to do is *not* get eliminated each round, so the blatantly obvious strategy is to pile on sabotages to whoever's weakest, or better yet, who already has a sabotage. It's to the point where I'm pretty sure there's some producer interference to spread around the sabotages as much as they can, because any moron could figure out how to play the game better than these jackasses. :psyduck:

Also really wish that instead of letting the chef mug for entire credits sequence, they told the judges what the various sabotages were after the fact and saw their reactions. I don't give a poo poo about these chefs I'm never gonna see again, I'd rather see Giada de Laurentiis find out the s'mores she loves so much were made out of Lucky Charms marshmallows or whatever.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
They saved that for the accompanying web episodes, of course, most of which are lost to time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A lot of the Cutthroat contestants are definitely (a) morons, and (b) huff their own farts way too much. Like, mate, you’re a chef, cool it with the arrogance. The first season has a couple of cooks that I’m pretty sure have anger management issues/domestic abuse charges/have killed someone.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah especially the male chefs, I've noticed. If you're a woman on that show you could probably coast through the first couple rounds by just staying completely silent and letting the boys sabotage the poo poo out of each other, because not only are they assholes, they're also dumbfucks who are stupid enough to sabotage each other rather than you even if they think you're the weakest one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I watched a lot of it early in the plague, and totally agreed. If you're a woman, you just need to keep your mouth shut during the introductory poo poo-talking and let the two bros chest-thump and sabotage each other. Flying under the radar like that will definitely get you through one if not two rounds.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

DC Murderverse posted:

https://youtu.be/f0fmS1WEm3s

Alvin and Kendall continue to be more fun to watch than the actual owner of the channel

He should maybe consider becoming a Jimmy James-type goofy boss instead of the protagonist

Botched is better than his normal content too.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

botched is awful. that thing with the 1000 dollar wheel of parm that they let get moldy and then also didn't know that you could also scrape that section off was ignorant and stupid on so many levels. and the irreverent sort of demeanor that gets expressed towards techniques and ingredients and whatever, idk, i'm a hater whatever whatever

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone fill me in on what the sqrl girl saga is

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Google "sqrl scandal" for a whole lot of coverage

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Someone fill me in on what the sqrl girl saga is

Lady started a company making jam, because people are people wanted to make sure it was 'low-sugar'. One issue is that sugar acts as a preservative in high enough concentrations, so you have to be careful about unwanted growth, especially without enough sugar.

She wasn't, and it came out that she had instructed her staff to scoop off the visible gunk and just keeping using the jam. I believe she then said oh people do it all the time at home, which while true, if also a) very much not the point, and b) in a very different environment in a commercial kitchen, and c) not generally ok when you're charging a bunch of money for it.

I believe she also had a secret kitchen at one point to hide all the moldy jam buckets do that inspectors wouldn't see them and hurt the restaurants inspection score.

I think that's most of it? From memory so might have missed something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
WOW

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's a restaurant, not a jam company, but that's mostly right. Details here and picture here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

That’s like the second worst mold I’ve ever seen

The worst was the last week of school when we were cleaning up and moving out of the dorms, there was a lidded pot of macaroni that was sitting around for most of the school year, and when somebody lifted the lid a literal mushroom cloud rose out of the pot

No wait that jam is worse because now I’m imagining someone being sold a jar of that and eating it

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's a restaurant, not a jam company, so they aren't selling any jars of it, just dollops in toast with ricotta. But yeah I don't think people were thrilled to learn that they were eating something that was maybe an inch or two away from mold.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Top Chef finale This might've been the best meal I've ever seen in a finale. Everything looked so good and I felt like most of the comments were nitpicks. Anyway, my boy Buddha won!! Absolutely killed it! :cheers:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's a restaurant, not a jam company, so they aren't selling any jars of it, just dollops in toast with ricotta. But yeah I don't think people were thrilled to learn that they were eating something that was maybe an inch or two away from mold.

They did sell jams in jars and still do today. It actually started out as just a jam company before doing restaurant service. And aside from the mold saga their food looks pretty good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

#notmyjam

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone gotten the Top Chef cookbooks? A lot of what they make sounds amazing. Curious if any of those books do a good job of providing the recipes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Weird, I actually came in here to ask about the Pasta Grannies cookbook. Does anyone have that one?

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Mu Zeta posted:

They did sell jams in jars and still do today. It actually started out as just a jam company before doing restaurant service. And aside from the mold saga their food looks pretty good.

was in la in mid-may and can confirm, food is excellent

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Roadrunne, the Bourdain documentary, is finally up on HBO Max. If you feel like being sad.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

Roadrunne, the Bourdain documentary, is finally up on HBO Max. If you feel like being sad.

Turning the doc into a Asia Argento hit piece at the end was really hosed up imo. Whatever relationship issues they might or might not have had, I didn't see any reason to take that tone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the episode directed by Asia Argento (Hong Kong) has to be one of the best ones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also I was super weirded out by the deepfake audio at the end. That was super skeezy to me.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sounds like it's probably not watching then? Shame.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

Sounds like it's probably not watching then? Shame.

There's some good stuff in there, it's still Bourdain and when the movie isn't editorializing (mostly towards the end IIRC) there's some very sweet and poignant footage. If you can figure out where the movie kind of takes a hard left turn and turn it off before that, it's worthwhile.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've been making my way though previous seasons of Top Chef and has there ever been a successful restaurant wars for both teams outside of I think the LA all stars season? It feels like they always get one set of actual restaurant servers and then a second set of random people they pull off the street who inevitably don't know how to write tickets or remember table numbers.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

I've been making my way though previous seasons of Top Chef and has there ever been a successful restaurant wars for both teams outside of I think the LA all stars season? It feels like they always get one set of actual restaurant servers and then a second set of random people they pull off the street who inevitably don't know how to write tickets or remember table numbers.

I've come to suspect that the servers are all real servers, but they're told before they go to work that they aren't supposed to do anything they haven't been instructed to do. So if the person managing front of house doesn't properly explain how to do tickets, how the sections are split, etc then the servers aren't supposed to bail them out on their own initiative.

Some maybe just aren't good, because what good servers are available in the middle of the day for some random filming, but I also thing that the point is to test if the teams manage the front of house side as well as the back of house. Servers fixing the problems themselves would make it unclear who actually did a good job.

Also editing can make things seem more dramatically good or off the rails than it actually is

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

iirc s10? At least it wasn't FOH

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Casu Marzu posted:

This season’s was funny because there was one team that had a restaurant that overall was on par with or better than most RW concepts in the past (although the guy running FoH for the team made a few baffling decisions) but then the other team basically did everything perfect and probably could have just opened their restaurant for real and been wildly successful, and like how do you compete with that?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Ry_ap6IsI

Goddamn he really is the champ.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the new Iron Chef is so generic its like an algorithm spit it out

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

mistermojo posted:

the new Iron Chef is so generic its like because an algorithm spit it out

It is Netflix we’re talking about

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mmm carrot meatloaf my fav

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

droll posted:

Mmm carrot meatloaf my fav

its good

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My main complaint about new Iron Chef is not enough sweaty contestants. Also it has zero soul or edge, goddamn I hate Neflix productions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Is Alton entertaining at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Casu Marzu posted:

I’m guessing they’re hiring random actors who are out of work rather than experienced waiters, because actors will do more for less money.