Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
More importantly, square charts have fancy frames now! Unless I missed them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CrypticTriptych posted:

I enjoyed reading the Brazil AAR that happened recently (compiled on reddit). I think it was interesting how much you get to nudge the political system through event choices. It makes the system for enacting laws described in the dev diaries -- table a law, RNG happens, law eventually passes -- a bit less dry and abstract.

Thanks for this, I do like following the LPs but don't like Discord

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

No dev diary this week:
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1531546020277956608

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they really should make a straits DD just for this circumstance

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

CrypticTriptych posted:

I enjoyed reading the Brazil AAR that happened recently (compiled on reddit). I think it was interesting how much you get to nudge the political system through event choices. It makes the system for enacting laws described in the dev diaries -- table a law, RNG happens, law eventually passes -- a bit less dry and abstract.

This really makes me excited about Vic3. At least it did until I saw the plural of Man-o-War wasn't Men-o-War. PDX pls fix

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1531636628556587009

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

they really should make a straits DD just for this circumstance

that would be insufficiently victorian. it needs to be a canals DD

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Whats new in that screenie?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Per Wiz on reddit

Wiz posted:

Yep! Trade Routes auto-adjust to how profitable the good is to trade under the current market conditions (price, tariffs, etc).

Basically I believe that Trade Routes were fixed amounts previously, but now they grow or shrink over time based on how profitable the goods are. So less micro.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, previously, you manually adjusted the "level" of the trade route (determining how much of the good is moved) and now it seems the level is determined by market conditions. I wonder if this means there'll be no more "unprofitable" trade routes.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
As long as there's still some way to subsidize, like, imported grain. I know you can subsidize specific industries but I don't know if there's a way to subsidize goods that you import but that your pops consume raw. I need to crater the SoL of my peasantry through misguided aid programs!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1534173340608303104

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What about slapping tariffs on specific countries and trying to start the Tariff Wars? I.e like when Italy and France put tarrifs on each others wine?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
What about import subsidies without tariffs? Can I fully subsidize the import of food for my pops, for example?

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Thought this was the CK3 thread for a moment.

Definitely subsidize food for the popes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If the pops want food they should get a job

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
If the pops pope wants food they should get a job

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

will there be a pope pop in the game?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Needs: hats, hedonism

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Eastbound Spider posted:

will there be a pope pop in the game?

It'll be one pop around which the entire event system hangs, which is why it'll be impossible to play as the vatican.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1534928557465513984

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmdd1g4hE

We have a release date!!! Well, a release...year. This one.

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1536092757621612546

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 12, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That is great news but that doesnt really feel like a "gameplay" trailer to me? Though I dont watch these kinds of videos much so maybe I'm just out of touch?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That is great news but that doesnt really feel like a "gameplay" trailer to me? Though I dont watch these kinds of videos much so maybe I'm just out of touch?

In comparison to the last trailer (which was all still images of art) it having the actual map makes it a gameplay trailer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sweet we're getting it this year!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Color me surprised by a release this year!

Very surprised, actually. Almost incredulous.

No, definitely incredulous. I don't believe it will release this year. Once we have a set-in-stone date, then I'll be slightly more convinced.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

trapped mouse posted:

Color me surprised by a release this year!

Very surprised, actually. Almost incredulous.

No, definitely incredulous. I don't believe it will release this year. Once we have a set-in-stone date, then I'll be slightly more convinced.

I think it’s reasonable to think it’ll be this year. The dev diaries have shown that development is pretty far along. Last diary on graphics already seems like they’re running out of new things to tell us. And it’s consistent with how Paradox has been announcing their recent games/DLCs—do a bunch of diaries, then only very near release announce a date.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

I think it’s reasonable to think it’ll be this year. The dev diaries have shown that development is pretty far along. Last diary on graphics already seems like they’re running out of new things to tell us. And it’s consistent with how Paradox has been announcing their recent games/DLCs—do a bunch of diaries, then only very near release announce a date.

The last diary on graphics was because they were supposed to show off a dev diary on Characters but the dev writing it got sick so they scrambled to come up with a new one.

That being said I also expected a 2022 release date so this was more confirmation of what I guessed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can usually get a feel for how far along a Paradox game is based on dev diaries. And if you know which parts of the year Swedes are on holiday (~40% of the calendar iirc) you can ballpark the release date, since obviously they'll want to be in office for post release support.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

canepazzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmdd1g4hE

We have a release date!!! Well, a release...year. This one.

This trailer made me feel unhinged because I'm 98% sure the voiceover is Steven "Red Fox" Garnett, whose youtube audiobooks I've been using as a sleep aid for like a year now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcfffzyL-hA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am8HxE8TSAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uaak-7NohTg

He's fairly obscure and suddenly hearing him in a videogame trailer, much less Victoria 3, after having been lulled to sleep by that voice for so many nights, feels absurd.

Glad to see he's finding professional work though!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The leaked build was basically a fully featured alpha wasnt it?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
2022 doesn't sound crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a single delay into Q1 2023, either, which happens sometimes with Pdx games. Either way, exciting!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Did you not see the zeppelin??

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

V for Vegas posted:

The leaked build was basically a fully featured alpha wasnt it?

Yeah, and it was apparently an old build at the time it leaked. I can believe a q4 2022 release.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hellioning posted:

In comparison to the last trailer (which was all still images of art) it having the actual map makes it a gameplay trailer.
Hah, good point. I guess my expectation when I see the word (words?) "gameplay" is like... someone playing the game instead of a hybrid of art, zoom-ins on the map, and screencaps of menu pages in a montage. I'm by no means upset, it just struck me odd.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did you not see the zeppelin??
I did! I was really happy to see so much detail on the map. I hope I can see my country get more and more vibrant as time goes on.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Hah, good point. I guess my expectation when I see the word (words?) "gameplay" is like... someone playing the game instead of a hybrid of art, zoom-ins on the map, and screencaps of menu pages in a montage. I'm by no means upset, it just struck me odd.

I don't think even a large slot in the show would have been enough to really showcase gameplay in a way that creates interest in the general public. Politics, pops and showing of some art to give a feeling for the game was probably the best were able to do with the time alloted.

I think in the end the trailer was mostly for people already into Paradox/Vicky 3 reaffirming the launch date as somewhere in 2022.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

why didn't they film three minutes of someone having the game on pause while poking through a bunch of ledgers before alt tabbing to a wiki while listening to a podcast

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StashAugustine posted:

why didn't they film three minutes of someone having the game on pause while poking through a bunch of ledgers before alt tabbing to a wiki while listening to a podcast
Should've been a fully animated and romanticized version of the 1907 Tiflis bank robbery, that then shifts into the "modern day" as we see the young dashing rogue Stalin in the backseat of the escape car age into the older general secretary Stalin. When the car finally stops, he steps out to the thunderous roar of adoring onlookers, an explosion-marked Washington Monument rising behind him.

Final image is just "Coming late 2022".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Open on a red curtain. Text: "Paradox Interactive Proudly Presents It's Next Masterpiece". The curtain opens, revealing a troupe of actors performing Our American Cousin. It's Ford's Theater, 1865.

Lincoln sits in his balcony with Mrs. Lincoln. An advisor tries to get his input on Confederate holdouts in the State of Guyana, but Lincoln is too engrossed in the play for work. Then, his eye catches something - a reflection in a conveniently located grandfather clock. An intruder in the balcony. John Wilkes Booth pulls out his gun and fires. We follow the bullet in slow time as it slowly approaches Lincoln. But something's wrong here. The bullet stops in mid air. Abe smiles. Suddenly time reverses itself and the bullet travels backwards into Booth's gun. He can't believe it. "H-how is this possible?" he cries.

"Quickload," Abe quips, before dispatching John Wilkes Booth with kung fu. With a final roundhouse kick he knocks Booth out of the balcony onto the ground below, upon which the entire theater erupts in applause. President Lincoln turns back to the advisor he ignored before and asks him to come forward. He lays a paper map out and it's the map from the game. Then text on screen clarifies that this is actually a map game and there is no kung fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1536682983662436353