Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah I heard the grapefruit thing too about Seroquel. As long as I can still gently caress the grapefruit, I'm good.

Yeah just don’t let the grapefruit gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I did say it as a joke, but you really shouldn't take grapefruit, or any citrus on any type of intoxicants - those fruits have some type of inhibitory molecule that interferes with general liver toxin degradation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samovar posted:

I did say it as a joke, but you really shouldn't take grapefruit, or any citrus on any type of intoxicants - those fruits have some type of inhibitory molecule that interferes with general liver toxin degradation.

Oranges are too passive-aggressive to be actually poisonous and just hope they can help something else poison me?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Citrus saved the damned limey's lives.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bitter/Seville oranges have a similar effect to grapefruit. All about the CYPs.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Pry the screwdriver out of my warm, drunk hand.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Grapefruit is disgusting and nobody should eat it or drink the juice anyway. (Ruby Red grapefruit is a genetic mutant caused by exposure to radiation too.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah just don’t let the grapefruit gently caress you.

Buddy...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been warned about grapefruit a lot with my meds. Especially with buproprion. It can increase the blood levels of certain drugs in your body like 100% or something lol. But like, Costco has these grapefruit cups that are wonderful. Eh....

The list of medications grapefruit is contraindicated with is hilariously long, to the point that it's "pretty much everything related to mental health".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
maybe America has a grapefruit problem, did you ever think of that??

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A few years ago Redbull's summer edition flavor was grapefruit and it was the greatest thing that company has ever accomplished.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

And after a few months it went away forever, and the next couple of year's summer editions tasted like suntan lotion so gently caress RedBull.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If you’re very depressed and have not yet received evaluation and treatment, try taking psychedelics first, and then if that doesn’t work, THEN look into medications. Switching from psychs to SSRIs is easy, the other way, not so much.

This is for anybody reading, not you specifically, Pennywise.

my nigma, have you tried LSD?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Head Bee Guy posted:

my nigma, have you tried LSD?

lol yea bro have you smoked weed about wanting to blow your brains out?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol yea bro have you smoked weed about wanting to blow your brains out?

Well what do you suggest? Talking about your feelings? Cause that poo poo’s a scam.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Well what do you suggest? Talking about your feelings? Cause that poo poo’s a scam.

There's lots of medical intervention and talk therapy that can potentially be used. For example I had major depressive disorder for a very long time that was not being addressed by conventional SSRIs and other medications. Doctors ran more tests and found out I had a tumor in my skull and when they cut it out I got better. Talk therapy is very useful for the things that talking things through is useful for and I still find it useful to this day because we all need to address complex emotional states rather than bottle them up. hth!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There's lots of medical intervention and talk therapy that can potentially be used. For example I had major depressive disorder for a very long time that was not being addressed by conventional SSRIs and other medications. Doctors ran more tests and found out I had a tumor in my skull and when they cut it out I got better. Talk therapy is very useful for the things talking things through is useful for and I still find it useful to this day because we all need to address complex emotional states rather than bottle them up. hth!

If you can talk your way out of being sad then good for you, but to me it just feels, at best, like uselessly spinning my wheels.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If you can talk your way out of being sad then good for you, but to me it just feels, at best, like uselessly spinning my wheels.

well that isn't how it works which is maybe why you feel that way?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

well that isn't how it works which is maybe why you feel that way?

Talking about depression and anxiety requires thinking about upsetting things, which will inevitably lead to me having a meltdown, in front of another person, which will result in feelings of humiliation, which makes my life permanently worse, because every bad thing that has ever happened to me feels like it happened earlier today, there is no sense of space between me and my traumas, they’re all just here, all the time, gnawing at me. And now I’m having a loving meltdown, gently caress this rancid world and gently caress me for continuing this discussion when I knew this would happen to me.

Psychedelics and SSRIs help me with this.

gently caress jorp for good measure I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I feel this is an over-generalisation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Talk therapy helps tons of people all the time. If you have a good team with a psychologist (talk) and a psychiatrist (meds), then that's basically the jackpot.

And some people just want to talk to a person confidentially (unless they're going to hurt themselves or someone else). Just get their poo poo out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

So it might feel like a scam for you. But, I promise you, it's really not for many people. Some people feel like SSRIs are a scam for them. I think the problem here is that you used universal language, implying talk therapy is a scam for everyone or objectively? Which isn't true.

And tbh, you do you. But judging from your subsequent posts, talk therapy might be the very thing you really do need. But who is to say! Just look after yourself yo!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, talking worked for me; I'm not totally out of the woods yet, but man oh man, I'd describe a situation I was going through, and because I'm talking about it and trying to be fair for all parties involved (and not just come out like the Good Guy in the story), a LOT of answers/explanations came to light.

Like a number of things I do and ways that I'm like can be traced back to my horribly abusive 'friend' that I had for almost ten years growing up. I used to look back on him and think 'guy was a total dick', and now I add 'and he affected me in ways that are still coming out today.'

Recognizing that poo poo REALLY helped. Not everyone's situation is the same, of course, but where one finds no solace in 'just getting it all out', others find quite a bit.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Talking about depression and anxiety requires thinking about upsetting things, which will inevitably lead to me having a meltdown, in front of another person, which will result in feelings of humiliation, which makes my life permanently worse, because every bad thing that has ever happened to me feels like it happened earlier today, there is no sense of space between me and my traumas, they’re all just here, all the time, gnawing at me. And now I’m having a loving meltdown, gently caress this rancid world and gently caress me for continuing this discussion when I knew this would happen to me.

Your experiences with therapy aren't an objective truth of the world. Many people see improvement with therapy, or therapy in combination with drugs.
It's possible to get caught in unhealthy or unproductive thought patterns, and its hard to get out because you can't even recognize it or see a way out. Therapy can be good at identifying them and then providing means to step out of the spiral once you know it's happening.
Psychedelics did a pretty decent job of helping me get out of those mental ruts, but for many people therapy is beneficial.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Captcha's are gertting complex, but I see specks of green in one, six and seven so they are the fake images

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

:chanpop:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nigmaetcetera posted:

If you have the opportunity check yourself into in patient... brute force that poo poo

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The AI really captures the bleak darkness of his eyes

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

War and Pieces posted:

If you have the opportunity check yourself into in patient... brute force that poo poo

No. There is no catharsis for me, there will never be. My brain works different. Did you not see the part where I said that everything bad that has ever happened to me feels like it happened JUST NOW, and good things seem to be in the impossibly distant past?

The only way I could see talk therapy not being agonizing for me would be to take a giant dose of mescaline beforehand, which would make the therapist uncomfortable because they’d basically be a third wheel and I’d be ignoring them for 12+ hours.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, talking worked for me; I'm not totally out of the woods yet, but man oh man, I'd describe a situation I was going through, and because I'm talking about it and trying to be fair for all parties involved (and not just come out like the Good Guy in the story), a LOT of answers/explanations came to light.
Is it really just repeating it aloud that makes you come to these realizations? You wouldn't think about it enough to realize it otherwise? Is your therapist saying really insightful stuff that gets you there, or could they usually be a rubber duck?

Not a gotcha, I'm curious. My therapist would always be like "wow you figured a lot out" and like yeah? I went as far as I could myself, then called in an expert when I was stuck . . . is that not how you're supposed to do it?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No. There is no catharsis for me, there will never be. My brain works different. Did you not see the part where I said that everything bad that has ever happened to me feels like it happened JUST NOW, and good things seem to be in the impossibly distant past?.

I don't know what the answer is for you personally, but I don't think it involves being aggro and making GBS threads on therapy in the Jordan Peterson thread on Somethingawful

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Nigmaetcetera posted:

No. There is no catharsis for me, there will never be. My brain works different. Did you not see the part where I said that everything bad that has ever happened to me feels like it happened JUST NOW, and good things seem to be in the impossibly distant past?

It's possible to break out of that cycle, but it's going to be painful and involve a lot of talk therapy

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Grimdude posted:

I don't know what the answer is for you personally, but I don't think it involves being aggro and making GBS threads on therapy in the Jordan Peterson thread on Somethingawful

I’m not angry. Didn’t mean to be aggro.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The only way I could see talk therapy not being agonizing for me would be to take a giant dose of mescaline beforehand, which would make the therapist uncomfortable because they’d basically be a third wheel and I’d be ignoring them for 12+ hours.

If you can get off SSRIs for 6 weeks, I HIGHLY recommend ayahuasca.

It's like 10 years of therapy in a single night but then for three nights. It's like the best concert of your life + you're tripping balls for five hours and make really great friends to boot. Sometimes, you will want to die but that's part of the debug/reformat process wherein it is pulling your trauma to the front of your mind & dealing with it.

Not a cure all. Not a panacea. But the poo poo works & I'd probably be dead or injecting meth if I didn't find my temple.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5895707/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8221532/

People might balk at the cost (like $1200 for 3 nights) but I literally doubled my income within 30 days of my first ceremony & the QOL improvement asides is completely worth it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

kntfkr posted:

If you can get off SSRIs for 6 weeks, I HIGHLY recommend ayahuasca.

It's like 10 years of therapy in a single night but then for three nights. It's like the best concert of your life + you're tripping balls for five hours and make really great friends to boot. Sometimes, you will want to die but that's part of the debug/reformat process wherein it is pulling your trauma to the front of your mind & dealing with it.

Not a cure all. Not a panacea. But the poo poo works & I'd probably be dead or injecting meth if I didn't find my temple.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5895707/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8221532/

People might balk at the cost (like $1200 for 3 nights) but I literally doubled my income within 30 days of my first ceremony & the QOL improvement asides is completely worth it.

I’ve been looking into it, me and my brother together, thanks for the suggesting it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Have you tried EMDR?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Nigmaetcetera posted:

This is some pretty clear cut PTSD stuff -> source: someone currently in therapy for it

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Have you tried EMDR?

I’d much rather drink a magic potion made by a South American wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Flowers for QAnon posted:

This is some pretty clear cut PTSD stuff -> source: someone currently in therapy for it

Nothing bad ever happened to me, though. It’s just a lifetime of being poked fun at and excluded.