Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I have a ton of chicken breast I need to save before it goes bad so I am going to freeze it. Normally I would just freeze it all together haphazardly but then they all stick together and its hard to get out just one breast ahead of time.

Would wrapping each breast in butcher paper and putting it in the freezer be a dumb idea? I have foodsaver but a vacuum seal bag for a single chicken breast feels extremely overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kwolok posted:

I have a ton of chicken breast I need to save before it goes bad so I am going to freeze it. Normally I would just freeze it all together haphazardly but then they all stick together and its hard to get out just one breast ahead of time.

Would wrapping each breast in butcher paper and putting it in the freezer be a dumb idea? I have foodsaver but a vacuum seal bag for a single chicken breast feels extremely overkill.

Put it onto a sheet pan with the individual breasts not touch each other, cover with plastic wrap, throw it into the freezer overnight. Congrats, now you have individually frozen breasts to put into a gallon ziploc bag.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shooting Blanks posted:

Put it onto a sheet pan with the individual breasts not touch each other, cover with plastic wrap, throw it into the freezer overnight. Congrats, now you have individually frozen breasts to put into a gallon ziploc bag.

This is brilliant and I'm an idiot I didn't think of it since I do it with thin sliced ribeye for similar reasons. I am going to salt the breast on the pan first, leave in fridge for an hour, than blot dry and freeze. I read online that salting before freezing is pretty dope.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kwolok posted:

This is brilliant and I'm an idiot I didn't think of it since I do it with thin sliced ribeye for similar reasons. I am going to salt the breast on the pan first, leave in fridge for an hour, than blot dry and freeze. I read online that salting before freezing is pretty dope.

That method is also a good way of limiting freezer damage to food as the individual prices will freeze more quickly this way than altogether. the longer it takes food to freeze, the bigger the ice crystals and the more damage to cell walls occurs. Commercial flash freezing is still superior, but anything you can do like this to reduce the amount of time it takes to freeze something is a good thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://imgur.com/a/3iCyeiQ

So, I made these hardboiled eggs. Only one of them turned out looking alright (you can tell which from the pics, it's the only one that doesn't have gross stains on it). What is going on with my eggs? I bought these free-range eggs a few days ago and they've been refrigerated perfectly. To cook them, I pop them in the pressure cooker for 4 minutes and immediately vent after.

If I eat these eggs, are they gonna make me sick? Is it bacterial? Did I just get unlucky and buy the grossest batch of eggs at the supermarket or what. I forgot to take a pic, but one of the eggs had some weird brown stain, like leather brown colour, on the inside of the shell and it was also a little water with the same colour. It had formed a ring on the inside of the shell.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I'm vegan so I don't cook eggs and thus maybe I'm not a great person to answer the question, but: how are you cooking them? If they're just boiling in the pressure cooker, maybe they got bounced around a lot and the yolk broke. (Remember, inside the pressure cooker things get pretty hairy - that's kind of the point.) It might also be the quick release doing the agitation. And the egg in your third picture looks normal so I'm not sure what the issue is there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

They sit on a rack, they're cooked in steam under high pressure. I dunno, google is throwing out mixed results, it's either bacterial growth that'll kill me, or just a reaction between the yolk and sulfur naturally found in eggs. Either way, I threw the offending ones in the bin. Not risking it. Just annoyed I spent so much money on free range and they're turning out gross looking.

The third picture egg tasted wonderful, no issues and I don't feel like I'm about to keel over and die.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They're perfectly ok.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kholodets and aspics in general are terrible. There’s no way to serve a meat jello dish cold that wouldn’t be more pleasant feeling smelling and tasting served hot

I’m convinced it only existed because the novelty of home refrigeration blew peoples minds 70 years ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Kholodets and aspics in general are terrible. There’s no way to serve a meat jello dish cold that wouldn’t be more pleasant feeling smelling and tasting served hot

I’m convinced it only existed because the novelty of home refrigeration blew peoples minds 70 years ago
Who doesn't want their food to look like some sort of diorama from a natural history museum?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mystes posted:

Who doesn't want their food to look like some sort of diorama from a natural history museum?

unironically agree. gelatinized stock is delicious, especially in summer.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I made pork kholodets as part of a Ukranian New Year's feast this year (bottom left):

And it turned out to be a surprise hit with a bunch of people who weren't enthused about jellied pigs feet to begin with. A ton of hron on top helps as well

Re: eggs -- It looks like the pressure cooker is pushing the yolks to one side of the eggs. I don't have any recommendations for that tool but I bet they'd be fine just boiled normally, and the ones you tossed were completely edible

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Qubee posted:

They sit on a rack, they're cooked in steam under high pressure. I dunno, google is throwing out mixed results, it's either bacterial growth that'll kill me, or just a reaction between the yolk and sulfur naturally found in eggs. Either way, I threw the offending ones in the bin. Not risking it. Just annoyed I spent so much money on free range and they're turning out gross looking.

The third picture egg tasted wonderful, no issues and I don't feel like I'm about to keel over and die.

Overcooked eggs can get a bit grey around the edge of the yolk, I wonder if you that's what you can see through the white.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aspic, like ice cream, used to be a luxury dish because it was so labor-intensive. Making gelatin from scratch is a right bitch. It's easier with chicken broth, which gels naturally if you concentrate it. Gelatin that doesn't taste/smell like the meat bones it was made out of is much harder. So in the 1800s you have all these haute-cuisine dishes based on aspic, plus all the desserts based on gelatin, and everybody knows they're fancy. When commercial gelatin becomes widely available, suddenly the common folk can make those dishes, and whammo.

The SF Chronicle has a good article both on a modern restaurant reintroducing aspic dishes and on the history. The dishes in the article, made with from-scratch aspic, look beautiful and I'd certainly order them.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
All my radishes (sunkyo long) are up and ready to go at the same time so I made radish green pesto with walnuts and parm and olive oil. It feels like it's missing something and I've already added lemon and garlic. Definitely nutty and I can taste the bitter greens.

I'm allergic to pine nuts so I can't really remember what pesto is supposed to taste like. Any blanket suggestions?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Soul Dentist posted:

All my radishes (sunkyo long) are up and ready to go at the same time so I made radish green pesto with walnuts and parm and olive oil. It feels like it's missing something and I've already added lemon and garlic. Definitely nutty and I can taste the bitter greens.

I'm allergic to pine nuts so I can't really remember what pesto is supposed to taste like. Any blanket suggestions?

A small bit of mint or some other green to add complexity? Red pepper? Pepitas?

e: I assume you added raw garlic already

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 4, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Mmm good ideas and yes. Added garlic and red pepper flakes, might add some mustard greens or oregano (the stuff I've got in my garden)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Cooked basmati rice stored in the fridge less than an hour after cooking on Weds evening. How long will it be safe to use for egg fried rice?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Food service rule of thumb is toss after 5 days. I would stretch that to a week at home if it's just me/family and nothing smells off

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I'm more concerned about the rice bacteria, pretty sure you can't smell those

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm more concerned about the rice bacteria, pretty sure you can't smell those

Your main risk from bacteria is while the product is between 41F and 135F - that's the prime temperature range for bacterial growth. If you got it into the fridge within an hour of cooking, it should have been at or below 41F within 2 hours of that and you're fine. 5 days for food service is on the conservative side - restaurants really don't want to get people sick for a variety of reasons. I'd stretch it to a week based on smell/texture/color also, but you have to make your own risk assessment. Is anyone you are serving this to immunocompromised? Otherwise have gut problems (IBS, whatever)? It's a judgment call.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The only time I try to stretch stuff past conservative dates is if 1) it's expensive or 2) I put a lot of effort into making it. Basmati rice? I throw it out at day 3 if I haven't used it because it's literal zero effort to rinse and throw a new batch in the rice cooker (that I got for £5, and works amazingly well). The only reason I store rice in the fridge is to take to work. If I want it whilst at home, fresh batch all the way.

This longwinded post is just shilling for rice cookers. Get yourself one, even the cheap crappy ones. I remember when I was younger, all the Chinese exchange students would have them in their dorms and I used to always wonder why they bought crap. Turns out I was wrong, cheap does the trick.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I have limited kitchen space for 1 use appliances and I don't cook rice that often is the answer. Obviously that's a chicken and egg thing, if I had a rice cooker I'm sure I'd use it more but it's a moot point.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's rice, you'll be fine, especially since you'll be frying it up anyway

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

There's a specific bacteria that grows in rice which washing/heating doesn't kill. The main way to prevent it is keeping it out of the temperature danger zone where it can grow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Heat stable toxins are a thing. You could kill the bacteria / fungi and still get sick. Now, if you were careful not to contaminate between cooking and stowing in the fridge, most pathogens wouldn't have had a chance to grow.

But some small subset still can. Some pathogens have heat stable spores that survive initial boiling and do the exponential growth dance after. Since rice is basically a perfect microbe growing medium, it will more likely punish you than most leftovers. But each precaution you take lowers your risk, so you could eat week old rice your whole life and not have issues.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a splatter screen they really like? Are they worth it?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The one I got from the dollar store works just fine. The hardest part is remembering to grab it before I've already made a mess and storing it because it's quite large.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's a specific bacteria that grows in rice which washing/heating doesn't kill. The main way to prevent it is keeping it out of the temperature danger zone where it can grow.

The official way to prevent that bacteria is by creating an acidic environment (traditionally with rice wine vinegar). If you want to be sure just make it into "sushi rice"!

In my time in Japanese restaurants mixing the rice was traditionally a job for the most senior staff because the acid balance is so important to make "slightly above room temperature" rice 100% safe to eat for the whole night.

But also, that's so you don't have to refrigerate it. If it's cold that stuff won't really grow.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
And here I am eating 3-day old rice still in my Zojirushi

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah when I reflect back on my uni years, there was a lot of eating day old rice left out overnight and most of the following day on the stovetop. Not even just during winter, I'd do it during summer too. Now I'm hyperfocused on proper kitchen hygiene.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

And here I am eating 3-day old rice still in my Zojirushi

:ssh: this is also probably fine

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think it's one of those things where you can roll the dice and be totally fine most of the time, but when it hits, it hits hard. So is it fine? Probably! And will be fine for the future, but everyone has a different risk tolerance and it's ok that not everyone is comfortable and wants to be more careful.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

If you think you won't eat enough rice to justify a rice cooker, getting a rice cooker will mean you start making rice much more often because it's so drat easy and good.

e: you will make room for it and also eat four day old rice (put in fridge) or stuff you left out for like an hour because the bowl was too hot or stuff that's been in there for 12 goddamn hours on the keep warm setting and be truckin along fine

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 5, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Same thing with a nice ice cream maker :yikes:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yo is someone in here thinking they don't need a rice cooker?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I’ve basically perfected making decent stovetop rice in a pot but I still consider getting a rice cooker sometimes just because it’s so drat simple and consistent and takes zero effort. It hasn’t seemed worth it to buy one without a fuzzy chip though.

But rice is the great meal filler, you can basically have one main item to make for dinner and just add rice for a meal. Works for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'm making coconut rice right now and I'm not using my Zojirushi for the first time in a long time. Hoping to get a lot more crispies at the bottom this way (like a solid brick).

Unfortunately things have already gone awry as I was sure I bought a green papaya but turns out it's actually almost fully ripe. Had to bulk up the som tam with sliced onions and julienned carrots for crunch

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ror posted:

I’ve basically perfected making decent stovetop rice in a pot but I still consider getting a rice cooker sometimes just because it’s so drat simple and consistent and takes zero effort. It hasn’t seemed worth it to buy one without a fuzzy chip though.

A basic rear end $20 one from Target or Walmart works fine. I've been using one for years since I foolishly didn't think I'd be stuck in the US very long.

I can do it in a pot but a rice cooker is so much simpler, if you eat rice like, ever, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ror posted:

But rice is the great meal filler, you can basically have one main item to make for dinner and just add rice for a meal. Works for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Fully agree. Even at my most busy/depressed I can set the rice cooker on its way for a bowl of rice and then throw a fried egg on top or some such.