Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cojawfee posted:

So is butcher going through withdrawal or is that just the side effects of the drug? How is the military going to use that to fight wars when all their soldiers are throwing up the next several days? Though that would be a sight to see on the battlefield. Dudes shooting laser eyes and then throwing up as they run across the field, shrugging off bullets.

The battle either ends real fast or you better have more soldiers to throw at the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Speaking of child beauty pageants the Hilton by Chicago’s airport hosted one in the ballroom next to the official Warhammer 40K Grand Tournament I attended in like 02. The common areas were amazing to see.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

So is butcher going through withdrawal or is that just the side effects of the drug? How is the military going to use that to fight wars when all their soldiers are throwing up the next several days? Though that would be a sight to see on the battlefield. Dudes shooting laser eyes and then throwing up as they run across the field, shrugging off bullets.

Quick 15 minute operation, Cojawfee, let's go

E: And from the military perspective, if they die gently caress them. It was a temporary thing anyway, not a full fledged soup

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The whole "Temporary V is good for soldiers" doesn't make much sense to me. Compound V has very random effects on people, and Voight's strategy is to draft supes from the most "marketable" power sets.

Giving a bunch of soldiers a 1 day dose means you'll get a grab bag of effects that probably won't line up with the mission at hand. And I know the series kind of touches on this, but most powers aren't really that useful on an actual battlefield. Training and technology is already a superpower in itself, short of being Dr Manhattan extra powers probably don't offset the liability that comes with the territory.

Also, with the way Voight uses supes it seems like stronger powers are also a major liability (Homelander). They are already in kayfabe anyway, so it would've made more sense to design V to be flashy but not super dangerous (like Jubilee type powers that are the equivalent of getting goosed with confetti).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The thesis of the show is that corporations do not care about collateral damage if it will make the money. The product Gus Frink is proposing are still being tested, in horrific conditions, and he he’s probably relying on reputational damage to make sure the military doesn’t sue if they get lovely products.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Temp V soldiers are much like using heroes on the battlefield, it's a tactical nuke you set off somewhere you don't mind the collateral, with Temp V there's also the added benefit that you can get rid of the evidence if poo poo goes too wrong, with regular heroes you're stuck with Black Noir and with paying off the payback crew for decades cause it's difficult to even kill them and people in general know who they are.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Butternubs posted:

I enjoy it the more mean spirited it gets, I think I just like the supes/billionaires analogy, once you have unlimited power(money) a lot of people do just turn into complete remorseless psychopaths and it's cathartic when they're lasered in half in an underground car park.

Sure, but the mean-spiritedness I was referring to was an innocent, mentally ill and suicidal young woman who changed her mind and then was murdered.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

The whole "Temporary V is good for soldiers" doesn't make much sense to me. Compound V has very random effects on people, and Voight's strategy is to draft supes from the most "marketable" power sets.

Giving a bunch of soldiers a 1 day dose means you'll get a grab bag of effects that probably won't line up with the mission at hand. And I know the series kind of touches on this, but most powers aren't really that useful on an actual battlefield. Training and technology is already a superpower in itself, short of being Dr Manhattan extra powers probably don't offset the liability that comes with the territory.

Also, with the way Voight uses supes it seems like stronger powers are also a major liability (Homelander). They are already in kayfabe anyway, so it would've made more sense to design V to be flashy but not super dangerous (like Jubilee type powers that are the equivalent of getting goosed with confetti).

I would assume they would get a dose back at base first just to see what powers they would get. It would be like weapons training. I would hope their first dose wouldn't be on the battlefield.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Golden Bee posted:

The thesis of the show is that corporations do not care about collateral damage if it will make the money. The product Gus Frink is proposing are still being tested, in horrific conditions, and he he’s probably relying on reputational damage to make sure the military doesn’t sue if they get lovely products.

Officially? Zero of course. Cone of silence? 34%

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think there's a big difference between a show being mean spirited and a show having some characters who are awful, even if the show revels in the violence and the entertainment aspects of it all there's no reasonable interpretation of the show in which Homelander is not a despicable bully and horrible misanthrope. The show is like pretty blatant when it comes to its morality, there's very little ambiguity about who you're actually meant to be rooting for.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I'm assuming it'll just be what Butcher got. Strength, durability and laser eyes. Laser eyes on a battlefield would be a liability if uncontrolled, but durability wouldn't really have any many downsides. This is my assumption (and hope) because it'd be a bit too convenient for Butcher to 'randomly' get what he got when everyone else will probably get something less practical/death.

And Jubilee could blow up the world.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
TFW you dose up your Special Forces squad for the important mission, only to find that they all rolled the prehensile penis superpower.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Butcher takes the Temp V to confront the gun guy. He shoots, Butcher falls to the ground. Bleeding from his gills he whispers “wow should have tested what powers I got first” and dies.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Sure, but the mean-spiritedness I was referring to was an innocent, mentally ill and suicidal young woman who changed her mind and then was murdered.

I'm surprised that the show which opens with an innocent person crossing the street getting turned to a fine red mist is so callous about the innocent & vulnerable :v:

e; And yea seems to me like if Vaught can engineer temporary dosages, then they can eventually isolate specific traits too. poo poo now that I think about it they're probably just milking real soup kids for their abilities as little consumables. Almost like making antidote from a snake's venom

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 5, 2022

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Some baseless speculation:

I wonder if Soldier Boy defected to the USSR and Crimson Countess is covering for him?

Regarding season 2: was compound V developed by the Nazi's during WW2? Did they show Soldier Boy being active during the way, and if so, how did they develop his powers? I'm probably just forgetting or imagining the timeline.

When Edgar and Homelander were talking about the origins of compound V in his office last season, I believe they said that it was created in WWII but the guy defected, then he used it to create Soldier Boy who went about "killing nazis by the dozen". That part could be embellishment or it could be multiple dudes over many years or whatever though of course.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

itry posted:

Thread could use a title change. Something about chimps, or timothy maybe.

I put in a title change request, so it'll be one of those two lines. I figured 'is this a video game about the slave trade?!' was too long.

Now nobody poo poo this place up and ruin the upcoming fun thread title for everybody. :colbert:

I think it's just that Jessie T. Usher does a great job, because I kept finding myself feeling bad for A-Train in the first few eps, then going 'But A-Train's a piece of poo poo...'

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Yea he’s good at walking that line

Chase Crawford is pretty great as well, as much attention as Antony Starr and Karl Urban get the entire cast of this show is phenomenal.

Hughie fuckin sucks, but he’s supposed to

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Aces High posted:

It has been so long since I've heard that Brittney song so I was like "wait, are they doing a parody?" but then as the act kept going I started wondering "so considering what we are seeing here, would the girl really have gotten heckled and told to leave the stage in Little Miss Sunshine if it actually happened for real?"

I ask that more as someone who has avoided watching any actual beauty pageants or similar events. Do single-digit aged girls really do acts like that to the cheers from many adults?

From what I know of those pageants, that segment was quite modest.

Also

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I thought the jumper was hired for the role, not an actual suicidal person that caught Homelander on a bad day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The jumper scene is another thing that makes me think Homelander actually *did* visit Butcher at his apartment. Homelander loves being able to "vent" to people who can't challenge him. Madelyn, the guy from Vought who supposedly "grew" him, the shapeshifter dude, Becca...Butcher's the only one other than the Vought scientist guy who's never been *scared* of him, and he also knows he can't just *kill* Butcher outright because it'd alienate him further from his son, who likes/liked Butcher more.

The only thing he loves more than being loved is being able to *inflict* himself on others.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 5, 2022

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

crepeface posted:

lol when starlight says she wants silver kincaid (?) the muslim hero and ashley's like "but she's from af... ghan..i...stan?" made me lose it

i thought that bit was weird considering in her very next scene shes begging supersonic to turn it down. its like lady you want to spare your boytoy form this poo poo but no the muslim girl? harsh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As Nero Danced posted:

I thought the jumper was hired for the role, not an actual suicidal person that caught Homelander on a bad day.

At least they didn’t catch Anthony Starr on a bad day so we don’t have to hear his apologists going to bat for him again.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

babypolis posted:

i thought that bit was weird considering in her very next scene shes begging supersonic to turn it down. its like lady you want to spare your boytoy form this poo poo but no the muslim girl? harsh

In between these two events, didn’t Homelander promise to go scorched earth if Starlight went public with the Flight 37(?) recording?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Drummer Boy is also evil right. He's probably a pedo.

I might be reading too much into it but I think he'll turn out to be a deranged version of Justin Timberlake to Starlight's Britney.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Is the animated show good? I watched the first episode for a while and it didn’t grab me.

People say Huey is poo poo, but his worst decisions are always prefaced by him feeling powerless. He’s the average person, no military training, no fantastic powers or corporate acumen. He worked at an electronics store.

You just saw someone he considered his boss and friend totally betray him, negating a year’s effort and one of his core beliefs, that there’s a right way to do things that’s different from William Butcher’s craven brutality. From a neutral objective sans, it might make sense to let Starlight and his friends do everything, but last season, doing that got her kidnapped and probably executed if he didn’t follow his own instincts. It’s fascinating how much he’s adopted pragmatism, considering at the start of the show he was literally talking to a trauma memory of his GF.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
A lot of people are confused why the military that builds multimillion dollar planes that can't fly in the rain and loves abusing, raping, disabling and then throwing their soldiers into the cold uncaring maw of the VA system to die would buy expensive experimental drugs.

Don't get me wrong I hate the troops and think they're all baby killers but lol if you think a general would care that a private is vomiting constantly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

this general would!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mu Zeta posted:

Drummer Boy is also evil right. He's probably a pedo.

I might be reading too much into it but I think he'll turn out to be a deranged version of Justin Timberlake to Starlight's Britney.

At this point, it seems that he's a decent-ish low-level supe that just wants a chance to make a comeback, but mostly to look out for Starlight. He did mention how everyone else abandoned him while he was in rehab after killing his mom (I think he said he killed her while on drugs, but I didn't have CC on that ep), but she stuck by him.

So I'm setting myself up to either be bummed when a genuinely okay dude gets splatted, as this show usually does, or being bummed when he turns out to be an incredible POS. At least his songs are incredibly silly bops.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

As Nero Danced posted:

From what I know of those pageants, that segment was quite modest.

Also

If she was a hired actor then there'd be no reason for him to tell her "if you jump, I'm just gonna fly down and save you anyway". Or anything, really. There were no cameras up there.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I put in a title change request, so it'll be one of those two lines. I figured 'is this a video game about the slave trade?!' was too long.

Now nobody poo poo this place up and ruin the upcoming fun thread title for everybody. :colbert:

I think it's just that Jessie T. Usher does a great job, because I kept finding myself feeling bad for A-Train in the first few eps, then going 'But A-Train's a piece of poo poo...'

It's hard to remember he's a pos because the character hasn't done much heinous poo poo in a while now.

Edit:

Golden Bee posted:

People say Huey is poo poo, but his worst decisions are always prefaced by him feeling powerless. He’s the average person, no military training, no fantastic powers or corporate acumen. He worked at an electronics store.

You just saw someone he considered his boss and friend totally betray him, negating a year’s effort and one of his core beliefs, that there’s a right way to do things that’s different from William Butcher’s craven brutality. From a neutral objective sans, it might make sense to let Starlight and his friends do everything, but last season, doing that got her kidnapped and probably executed if he didn’t follow his own instincts. It’s fascinating how much he’s adopted pragmatism, considering at the start of the show he was literally talking to a trauma memory of his GF.

All of the boys are poo poo in their own way, but Huey also suffers from being uncool on top of that.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 5, 2022

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Golden Bee posted:

Is the animated show good?

Lol, no. Not at all.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Homelander one is okay but I skipped everything else after seeing a clip of Akwafina's

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I’ll still take show Hughie at his worst, who is James loving Bond compared to comics Hughie

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The animated "episodes" are short, at any rate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

No way. Something that costs $2 million a vial, and he's going to replicate it in a home lab? Without making Butcher's heart explode?

Take one vial to get super-smarts and invent a bigger version and a scheme to give doctors kickbacks for prescribing it and you'll be making money to make your own indefinitely

edit: or take the new version and invent and even stronglier formula and so on and so forth. skyrim crafting rules at play.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Khanstant posted:

Take one vial to get super-smarts and invent a bigger version and a scheme to give doctors kickbacks for prescribing it and you'll be making money to make your own indefinitely

I did this in Morrowind once

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Can't wait for another scene of Homelander straight up lasering a crowd of dozens of innocent people, only this time it won't be a fake out. It will look like one, but then there'll be another swerve and - oops, no - he actually did it this time.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I don't hate Huey because I think he's bad at what he does, I hate him because he's only a good partner to Starlight when they're having fun and doing couple things but once the slightest pushback or conflict arises he gets huffy and stupid insecure.

It's not a show flaw, because that's accurate for a lot of people and it resonates. He sucks and I like seeing bad things happen to him in much the same way I did his comic counterpart.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like that they show Hughie making amazing improvisations when being put into pressure situations, while making terrible decisions when being given the time to make them.

Also, that he is fully aware of how lucky he is with Annie, but still insecure enough that he's loving it up.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

At this point, it seems that he's a decent-ish low-level supe that just wants a chance to make a comeback, but mostly to look out for Starlight. He did mention how everyone else abandoned him while he was in rehab after killing his mom (I think he said he killed her while on drugs, but I didn't have CC on that ep), but she stuck by him.

So I'm setting myself up to either be bummed when a genuinely okay dude gets splatted, as this show usually does, or being bummed when he turns out to be an incredible POS. At least his songs are incredibly silly bops.

i think he says he would steal from him mom, not kill her. probably way too dark for a character thats supposed to be sympathetic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I don't hate Huey because I think he's bad at what he does, I hate him because he's only a good partner to Starlight when they're having fun and doing couple things but once the slightest pushback or conflict arises he gets huffy and stupid insecure.

It's not a show flaw, because that's accurate for a lot of people and it resonates. He sucks and I like seeing bad things happen to him in much the same way I did his comic counterpart.

yea he’s just not a good partner and they’re not going to last

annie fell for him because he was the sole source of normalcy in her life while she was spiralling in chaos and confusion, it was perfect timing but even ignoring appearances she’s too good for him and slowly realizing it

hughie is the lance armstrong of loving people over after all, a dirty little shitweasel to the bone who’s moved on to bigger things than scamming customers into buying magical cables and extended warranties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Can't wait for another scene of Homelander straight up lasering a crowd of dozens of innocent people, only this time it won't be a fake out. It will look like one, but then there'll be another swerve and - oops, no - he actually did it this time.

"Ashley, could you run a poll and find out who the most universally hated group of people are for my target demo? No reason in particular...just curious."