Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t think any of the supers are shown to be hyper intelligent, which is thematic.

That’s why there’s no real Batman on the 7: he’s unpowered, with intelligence, dedication, and boardroom acumen. That’s the absolute last person Vought would want to recruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Golden Bee posted:

You just saw someone he considered his boss and friend totally betray him, negating a year’s effort and one of his core beliefs, that there’s a right way to do things that’s different from William Butcher’s craven brutality. From a neutral objective sans, it might make sense to let Starlight and his friends do everything, but last season, doing that got her kidnapped and probably executed if he didn’t follow his own instincts. It’s fascinating how much he’s adopted pragmatism, considering at the start of the show he was literally talking to a trauma memory of his GF.

What bothers me about most of this is the first attempted solution to the Victoria situation should be Hughie asking Butcher to just try to whack her with some .50AP. "we'll be at this Starbucks at 7:30, see if she's bulletproof." They already know she's incredibly dangerous and deserves it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Homelander, despite being an emotionally retarded manchild, is smarter than most of the characters and catches onto things pretty quickly.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GD_American posted:

I like that they show Hughie making amazing improvisations when being put into pressure situations, while making terrible decisions when being given the time to make them.

Also, that he is fully aware of how lucky he is with Annie, but still insecure enough that he's loving it up.

"You played my butt like jazz" was one of the best lines he's said when trying to blackmail the stretchy guy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It's pride month

Time for gay starlight

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Some baseless speculation:

I wonder if Soldier Boy defected to the USSR and Crimson Countess is covering for him?

Regarding season 2: was compound V developed by the Nazi's during WW2? Did they show Soldier Boy being active during the way, and if so, how did they develop his powers? I'm probably just forgetting or imagining the timeline.

They're all covering for him. Vought was in on the whole thing -- Young Edgar says "Will the others go along?" and Back Noir says "Everyone but Gunpowder." And then he says that he's about to take a more central role on the team, which would only happen if he knew Soldier Boy was about to go missing. So the most likely scenario is that Soldier Boy didn't defect to the Russians, he was sold to them by Vought. Black Noir was going to take his place as leader after he was gone. The Contra thing was a double cover-up to explain why the Russians would suddenly start developing Supes without the CIA going after Vought for illegal arms sales.

Butcher just tortured information out of the only person involved that didn't know it was a setup.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 5, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Homelander, despite being an emotionally retarded manchild, is smarter than most of the characters and catches onto things pretty quickly.

Yeah Homelander is incredibly intelligent, but he lacks wisdom. That means he has blindspots (where plot can happen) but the moment he is alerted to those blindspots he catches on really quickly - the crisis point of season 1 is when he puts together the pieces of what's been going on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

They're all covering for him. Vought was in on the whole thing -- Young Edgar says "Will the others go along?" and Back Noir says "Everyone but Gunpowder." And then he says that he's about to take a more central role on the team, which would only happen if he knew Soldier Boy was about to go missing. So the most likely scenario is that Soldier Boy didn't defect to the Russians, he was sold to them by Vought. Black Noir was going to take his place as leader after he was gone. The Contra thing was a double cover-up to explain why the Russians would suddenly start developing Supes without the CIA going after Vought for illegal arms sales.

Butcher just tortured information out of the only person involved that didn't know it was a setup.

Good catch. I had to rewatch that part since the audio was so low for those first 2 lines.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

christmas boots posted:

I did this in Morrowind once

You were playing wrong. How can you play that game and only do that once?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

there’s a reason she goes by Crimson Countess

:ussr:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sab669 posted:

I'm surprised that the show which opens with an innocent person crossing the street getting turned to a fine red mist is so callous about the innocent & vulnerable :v:

I didn't say anything about being surprised. I don't think the show can surprise me anymore. I think the difference is both tone and quantity. That was literally the start of the show so I didn't have time to build up a stockpile of heinous poo poo but it was also played for very dark comedy. There was nothing funny about the roof scene. It was just sad and pathetic and cruel to an individual as opposed to faceless victims, which is what we often get. Seeing a room full of politicians get their heads kablammoed was both a HOLY poo poo moment as well as being darkly funny but had no emotional impact because we didn't know any of those people and didn't have any time to process the implications or they were involved so, hey, too bad. On the roof, we got just enough about her to know how sad it was. It's related to the old Stalin line about a million deaths being a statistic and one death being a tragedy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is Homelander going to spend the rest of the season coming up with a specifically crafted thing he forces each supe to do for him that he knows they will hate? He's already forced Starlight into pretending to be in a relationship with him and forced Deep to eat Timothy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I didn't say anything about being surprised. I don't think the show can surprise me anymore. I think the difference is both tone and quantity. That was literally the start of the show so I didn't have time to build up a stockpile of heinous poo poo but it was also played for very dark comedy. There was nothing funny about the roof scene. It was just sad and pathetic and cruel to an individual as opposed to faceless victims, which is what we often get. Seeing a room full of politicians get their heads kablammoed was both a HOLY poo poo moment as well as being darkly funny but had no emotional impact because we didn't know any of those people and didn't have any time to process the implications or they were involved so, hey, too bad. On the roof, we got just enough about her to know how sad it was. It's related to the old Stalin line about a million deaths being a statistic and one death being a tragedy.

Yea I was mostly joking, I do get where you're coming from. There is definitely a difference between the two scenes, I was mostly just ribbin' ya

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cojawfee posted:

So is Homelander going to spend the rest of the season coming up with a specifically crafted thing he forces each supe to do for him that he knows they will hate? He's already forced Starlight into pretending to be in a relationship with him and forced Deep to eat Timothy.

Plus the forced outing of Maeve from last season - definitely seems to be his preferred way of getting back at people who slight him. He's very good at that almost-plausibly deniable brand of cruelty where his justification would buckle under the slightest scrutiny but it's backed up by being an all-powerful psychopath. Black Noir is probably safe since he's pretty much exactly what Homelander wants (unfailingly loyal, mute, no interest in the limelight, easily exploited Achilles heel) but I could easily see him ramping up on A-Train.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 5, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus I missed this show, it's loving crazy and I live in a state of constant anxiety about what Homelander is going to do next.

#HOMELIGHT Jesus Christ :stonklol:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

can't wait for stan's 'oh gently caress' moment when he realizes how grossly he's underestimated homelander

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jesus these episodes were incredible but so heavy, like drinking a milkshake made of concrete. I like how wet and phony the gore looks, it helps break the tension from the absolutely anxiety inducing Homelander sequences. Quick Thoughts:

A-Train potentially being used to speak out against police and anti-black brutality as hard as Starlight is voicing her issues with sexism and harassment would be amazing.

Step-Dad soy facing at Homelander, a person he couldn’t be further from and yet somehow finds deeply resonant

Homelander finding parallels between himself, Jesus, and MLK Jr

Timothy was probably the saddest I’ve felt watching this show and sexed up toddler Starlight is for sure the most I have ever cringed at my own TV set.

If I had one critique, it feels like whatever subtlety the show may have deployed in previous seasons is just gone. The show is 3 episodes in and already fully off-rails, I can’t really imagine where it’s going to go from here.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be fair I also had no clue how they were going to end season 2 and they managed it. Definitely off to a stronger start though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bust Rodd posted:

Step-Dad soy facing at Homelander, a person he couldn’t be further from and yet somehow finds deeply resonant

That really threw the fact he was wearing the Homelander costume at the party into a new light. I had assumed it was just,"Well she wanted a hero party so I picked the most famous one to wear" but now I'm thinking this was some wish-fulfillment bullshit, which.... oof.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Yea I was mostly joking, I do get where you're coming from. There is definitely a difference between the two scenes, I was mostly just ribbin' ya

No problem, sorry if I overdid it. And again, I know I'm mostly being insane. The entire show is non-stop horror and cruelty so I don't deny that it's odd for me to pick and choose which acts bother me and which don't. *shrug*

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

soy-dad is exactly the kind of extremely safe milquetoast loser monique would rebound to after all the bullshit she went through married to mm

we'll see if it lasts

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Golden Bee posted:

I don’t think any of the supers are shown to be hyper intelligent, which is thematic.

That’s why there’s no real Batman on the 7: he’s unpowered, with intelligence, dedication, and boardroom acumen. That’s the absolute last person Vought would want to recruit.

There doesn't need to be a Batman as Stan Edgar is already a Lex Luthor/Norman Osborn character. Real "do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be President" energy.

Also, Black Noir was supposed to be the Batman analog in the comics, what with the infamous "Good soldier...Good soldier..." scene with Hughie during the Herogasm storyline being directly stolen from TDKR.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 6, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Supersonic I feel is being set up as someone for Homelander to kill brutally if he goes off the deep end, but otherwise I don’t see him doing anything like turning against Starlight for fame

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bobjr posted:

Supersonic I feel is being set up as someone for Homelander to kill brutally if he goes off the deep end, but otherwise I don’t see him doing anything like turning against Starlight for fame

I'm still not entirely sure he's not playing Starlight. He didn't magically go from "do you know how much racist poo poo I had to eat/put up with" to "oh wow you're totally right I wanna help you bring all of this down and have your back" THAT loving quickly. Homelander is still going to kill him, though - because he'll be on *Vought's* team, not his.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

killing him to hurt starlight just wouldn't be as fun as hanging over his head like a dead-eyed sword of damocles to keep her in a perpetual state of anxiety

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think he’s there just to actually be a better fit for Starlight than Hughie is. Hughie is clearly going off the deep end and I think the season ends with them breaking up, because Hughie is going crazy with insecurity and instability and because Supersonic honestly seems like a pretty woke, with it guy who really gets Starlight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I think he’s there just to actually be a better fit for Starlight than Hughie is. Hughie is clearly going off the deep end and I think the season ends with them breaking up, because Hughie is going crazy with insecurity and instability and because Supersonic honestly seems like a pretty woke, with it guy who really gets Starlight.

...what show are you watching? No one's allowed to be *good* in this show, even when they're *trying* to be good, they're being pricks.

The closest thing to a "good" character is Kimiko and Ryan (for now).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

itry posted:

If she was a hired actor then there'd be no reason for him to tell her "if you jump, I'm just gonna fly down and save you anyway". Or anything, really. There were no cameras up there.

Ashley hiring an actor for Homelander to save on his birthday, without his knowledge, would be extremely on brand for both of them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Hulk Krogan posted:

Ashley hiring an actor for Homelander to save on his birthday, without his knowledge, would be extremely on brand for both of them.

Going back and rewatching that scene Homelander knew the girl's name, and the "You're my annual birthday save" line made me skeptical that it was a setup. That and Ashley and a camera crew were at the base of the building. Then again she might have gotten a tip that there was someone on the edge of the building and rushed there to get set up for Homelander.

Either way wouldn't surprise me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

babypolis posted:

i think he says he would steal from him mom, not kill her. probably way too dark for a character thats supposed to be sympathetic

I went back and checked, it was "would've killed my mom for some oxy". That one word makes a difference, whoopsie.

Why I need to watch with CC on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I went back and checked, it was "would've killed my mom for some oxy". That one word makes a difference, whoopsie.

Why I need to watch with CC on.

He fumbled that line. I had to rewind it because I thought he said he killed her too

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
In the comics, Black Noir turns out to be a Homelander clone and kills him

It...doesn't seem like they're going that route.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Think Less posted:

In the comics, Black Noir turns out to be a Homelander clone and kills him

It...doesn't seem like they're going that route.
No, since In Nicaragua we explicitly see him unmasked and talking normally and the whole gimmick was about how America wasn't super keen on black supes. After he gets mangled in an explosion it's possible he really did lose the ability to talk, it's certainly the reason he started wearing the mask all the time anyway.

But that's not to say Edgar has a comparable fallback plan in place, I'm certainly curious about this "weapon" they talk about.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
One thing I have noticed is there is a lot of Maeve being absent.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The animated eps is sometimes interesting, with the Justin Roiland second episode being the best and goriest. Oddly enough, there’s an episode that’s just adapted from the comics, with Jack from Jupiter and everything, and Simon Pegg as British Hughie.

The animated episodes go even more gory than the live action show, so you probably shouldn’t watch all of them back to back, but there’s fun to be had there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

voodoonoid posted:

Yeah it's weird she's apparently totally down with the boys now but also not showing up

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

voodoonoid posted:

Supposedly they're going to make up for that in the last episode, but yeah that's a pretty noticeable vacancy. On one hand there isn't exactly room for her in the current plotlines, but that could be changed with some different writing. I don't know what their eventual end goal is for her character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My thoughts on supersonic I think they're setting him up for Starlight to trust him and he'll rat her out to Homelander to curry favor, and end up laser'd anyway. Over the course of the season Starlight will likely start considering him romantically as she deals with homelander and Hughie, who despite being a pale shadow of a good person at least occasionally tries. He has continually risked his life when the cards were down, which tends to be a good sign as those are the parts of a person you can't re-shape over the years of a relationship

Bust Rodd posted:

If I had one critique, it feels like whatever subtlety the show may have deployed in previous seasons is just gone. The show is 3 episodes in and already fully off-rails, I can’t really imagine where it’s going to go from here.

Its 2022, its hard to be subtle in your critique/parody of society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

subtlety is for cowards, EAT THE loving OCTOPUS