Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
so hard not to add (IN THIS MILLENNIUM) onto the end when I tell recruiters "I'm not interested in rails jobs at this time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hobbesmaster posted:

the guy breaking the rules

Big assumption here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s apparently bullshit according to the comments because pips can’t occur in the first 6 months - you just get fired

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

blind is bad for mental health.

edit: because you realize how terrible everyone you work with likely is.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the biggest comment in favor of prospective newjob was a hiring manager casually throwing out "yah i left amazon after like 6mo that place is a cutthroat shithole" in less colorful language

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol after 5 different 1 hour interviews with positive feedback the company I was looking forward to getting an offer from announced a hiring slowdown, and now I have to wait for approval from some upper exec. lovely

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

accepted an offer with the it department at a nearby university for a job that's boring, chill, and enterprisey. scheduled to start on the 13th.

today an academic department at the same university reached out to me about a way cooler sounding job working in a smaller group with a much more diverse workload. they're also aware of my current situation and seem open to moving fast (interview is on monday afternoon, after they reached out to me today, and they said they'd like to nail down a candidate in the next week)

figgies are about the same either way (decent for edu, but garbage compared to stressing out in the real world)

am I an rear end in a top hat for pursuing the cool gig and back pocketing the meh gig, considering a start date has been set and hardware already ordered for me?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

nudgenudgetilt posted:

am I an rear end in a top hat for pursuing the cool gig and back pocketing the meh gig, considering a start date has been set and hardware already ordered for me?

yes, but you'll get over it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh my god i just fumbled another interview on the final step. I think i need to practice/prepare better for systems design interviews. do y'all have any recommendations?

i am a genius at systems design in real life but these loving toy design problems--where they constantly interrupt my train of thought with new information while i'm trying to design a solution for what they asked for the first time--make me really pissed off and i don't seem to be conveying any design chops during them either

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ask more questions before you start, try to tease out some of these complications

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can practuce away the anxiety. have someone throw tennis balls or tomatoes at you while you practice the question verbally w someone else

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

it feels like i have to coach the interviewers on how to give a good interview and I don't understand how anyone conveys their strengths during these interviews.

have any of y'all ever given a good systems design interview where you were able to identify the interviewee's design skills? what did it look like?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

ask more questions before you start, try to tease out some of these complications

that was my takeaway from the first one i hosed up but the interviewer changed the output interface four times while i was designing it even though i went out of my way to document the first interface they asked for :argh:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Corla Plankun posted:

oh my god i just fumbled another interview on the final step. I think i need to practice/prepare better for systems design interviews. do y'all have any recommendations?

i am a genius at systems design in real life but these loving toy design problems--where they constantly interrupt my train of thought with new information while i'm trying to design a solution for what they asked for the first time--make me really pissed off and i don't seem to be conveying any design chops during them either

do more interviews. Apply to a bunch of places and just don't do any homework things and just talk and talk and talk

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i crashed out of an interview on the final step semi-recently myself

blindsided by a one-two punch about code artifact specifics and i've never worked with it before. lesson learned

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
these design interviews are not a coding test theyre an anxiety test

mere practice helps, tennis balls help, unless you've never actually read it going and reading ddia again doesnt help as much as you think it would

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corla Plankun posted:

it feels like i have to coach the interviewers on how to give a good interview and I don't understand how anyone conveys their strengths during these interviews.

have any of y'all ever given a good systems design interview where you were able to identify the interviewee's design skills? what did it look like?

i have a favorite that i learned from an interview but it requires the interviewer to not be a dick / have good conversation skills. you tell the interviewee that they're being tasked with building a system that starts with vague but somewhat intense requirements. in my case they'd asked me that i was hired by an eccentric billionaire to build them a system that would ensure the world's most treasured resource, cat posts, available to them anywhere at any time. cost is no concern

so i started talking about how we'd store the posts first, how we'd access it, etc. of course as this discussion goes natural questions such as, 'are we talking pictures or movies? what kind of security is needed? when we say *always* available just *how* available are we talking here?' etc etc. the interviewer just makes this stuff up on the fly where the important thing to judge is that the interviewee is even asking these questions in the first place. it's also good for showing you where the interviewee is most comfortable in the whole stack as that's the place where they'll focus first

again, it's important that the interviewer understands that there's no "wrong" answers here. if you notice the interviewee starting to get too far into the weeds in a certain direction your job is to change the requirements to guide them back into the broader discussion while also not punishing them for it. so for example if they start getting too much into the details of building their own bespoke high availability cluster you can tell them that the billionaire said cost is of no concern and to just grab something off the shelf

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
when i interview someone (small tech co), i read their resume and tailor my discussion to their experience. i try to make the interview like a conversation with a coworker, since that's the role i'm trying to figure out if this person can play, and i also feel like this minimizes interview stress on both sides

when my wife interviews someone (govt agency), she is required to ask every candidate exactly the same questions, and the answers are graded with a literal rubric. this is supposed to ensure fairness and help eliminate bias

i can see the value in both of these techniques, but it seems to me that they are mutually exclusive

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the first method feels good but is tremendously susceptible to all sorts of biases

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

the first method feels good but is tremendously susceptible to all sorts of biases

That’s why you have a series of meetings on unconscious bias, followed by another series of meetings to establish a bunch of baseline questions+exercises for candidates and a rubric for evaluating them. And then you throw that all out and toss people who weren’t in any of those meetings into the interviewer pool and ask for their opinion. :hmmyes:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haha word

for real though "official questions and rubrics for evaluation" is 100% where the rubber meets the road for actually trying to minimize bias in the review pipeline

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

haha word

for real though "official questions and rubrics for evaluation" is 100% where the rubber meets the road for actually trying to minimize bias in the review pipeline

it seems like for this to really work you'd need to divorce the work of collecting the answer from evaluating the answer. rubrics alone don't do anything for bias -- having access to any information beyond the response itself reintroduces significant bias

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

obviously having a consistent set of questions and ranking criteria doesn't completely eliminate all bias. it does, however, remove a lot of it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

it seems like for this to really work you'd need to divorce the work of collecting the answer from evaluating the answer. rubrics alone don't do anything for bias -- having access to any information beyond the response itself reintroduces significant bias

of course separating the hiring decision from evaluation (and particular properties of the candidate) is helpful. it is not true that having a rubric "doesn't do anything for bias," assuming it's actually used in good faith and isn't lipstick put on the pig of "culture fit."

it is not clear what you mean by "really work". if by "really work" you mean "eliminate all bias" then then there is nothing that "really works". that does not mean you don't try to minimize it.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
well, for my wife's most recent hire, there was a temp already doing the job who wanted the permanent position, and they also wanted to keep her, but technically the job needed to be posted publicly for others to interview. another internal application did come in, and they dutifully followed procedure, with the result magically being that the person already doing the job was better qualified for the job, whoda thunk it? i'd say the amount of bias removed in this situation approached zero

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wow cool, that's a really great defense of hiring practices that disadvantage historically marginalized groups, thank god for your bravery

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah that's not exactly an example where changing anything about the interview would have affected anything

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you have a strict set of questions that everyone gets asked or just a common interview format for everyone, then won’t you get stuff like “cracking the coding interview” where rear end in a top hat dumbasses can just learn how to pass your standardised process?

and how to design a standard process so that the process itself is not biased in any way, unlike an iq test or something like that?

in the end its really important (especially for small shops) that the person you hire has a personality that makes them nice to work with, irrespective of their professional skills

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hell, maybe just assign university graduates and other job seekers positions in random companies depending on their aptitude as determined by some independent national standards body

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I had a go at some of the TripleByte test things and wow they are dumb. Like if essentially any of the questions come up in day to day programming then you've got way bigger problems, none of that code should be making it past code reviews!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm not bitter because I did badly, I did well btw

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

4lokos basilisk posted:

hell, maybe just assign university graduates and other job seekers positions in random companies depending on their aptitude as determined by some independent national standards body

sortition and firing (because the firing would be the method of real choice in this case) just squishes around the insane interview anxiety into the actual job

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sortition and firing (because the firing would be the method of real choice in this case) just squishes around the insane interview anxiety into the actual job

i can add wholesale unionization to that pipedream too so in theory firings would also follow a more or less fair process though

having a system like that is so far removed from reality that it’s difficult to imagine how it would work

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats not far from the japanese system

here's that mackenzie dude's notes on the buttfuck insanity of bein a salariman while bein white as the day is long. take especial note of the notes on training

https://www.kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

haha i remember reading that when i was getting settled in japan something like 8y ago

not sure whether it applies well anymore because there’s been a lot of changes since

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

4lokos basilisk posted:

this isn't an endorsement but i think this would probably be an improvement for most companies

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

https://www.amazon.com/System-Design-Interview-insiders-Second/dp/B08CMF2CQF is the system design analogue to ctci (ddia is not that), but ultimately,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

these design interviews are not a coding test theyre an anxiety test

mere practice helps, tennis balls help, unless you've never actually read it going and reading ddia again doesnt help as much as you think it would

dioxazine posted:

i crashed out of an interview on the final step semi-recently myself

blindsided by a one-two punch about code artifact specifics and i've never worked with it before. lesson learned

lol if you mean the aws thing that's dumb as hell, what specific thing were they asking about? even the stupid aws cert test that covers that service doesn't ask anything about it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

thank you!!!! I think this is exactly what I was hoping for

designing something on the fly in half an hour is a wildly different skill than my real design skills so hopefully this will help me bridge my real skills into these dumb interviews

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My wife called in sick to do an interview so the boss dude asked for a doctor's note. So here I am forging a doctor's note in GIMP because we live in a hell world where folks can just demand that so easy. Like it costs $8000 a year in insurance to get 45 seconds with a doc and management wants 30 of those seconds to be used to type out a special love letter from a doctor for them. Ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that’s a poo poo situation but can she just say the doc refuses to give them? that’s very common around here