Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

None of the SW movies really let’s you know how much time has passed over their length, which isn’t exactly unique for movies in general. How long between Alderaan being destroyed and the Death Star blowing up? How long was Luke on Dagobah and the Falcon running from Vader? How long was Han in Carbonite? About a year but that’s never explicitly stated in ROTJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except that the sequels tend to use specific time frames. Threepio says Starkiller Base will be ready to fire in ten minutes. In Last Jedi they put the fleet's fuel supply at a matter of hours. In Rise they have an 18 hour time frame.

A New Hope says the Death Star will fire in fifteen minutes and then the finale plays out in near real-time. Keeping things vague does help because once you throw hard numbers around people start to go "what?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For ANH at least, there is an official timeline that breaks the movie down... I forget if hour by hour, or day by day, but I think it's in the Essential Atlas.

Someone at Lucasfilm did the same thing for ROTS back in 2005 but I think it was on the blog feature of the official site that's not there any more. I think it was like a week for ROTS.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Got this in the mail over the weekend, it’s a signed oversized card from 20+ years ago.

Badass
I was going thru some old boxes of stuff and found this, it’s prolly been in that case for 20 years now

I know the rest of the rares I saved are in another one of the boxes somewhere

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Arc Hammer posted:

Except that the sequels tend to use specific time frames. Threepio says Starkiller Base will be ready to fire in ten minutes. In Last Jedi they put the fleet's fuel supply at a matter of hours. In Rise they have an 18 hour time frame.

Yeah this bugs the poo poo out of me, it makes the universe feel so small and the events so inconsequential when everything is compressed into such a tight timeframe. TLJ in particular feels like an unforced error here -- why not have the Resistance fleet bouncing around the galaxy playing cat and mouse with Snoke, which would not only give the Rey and Finn plots more time to breathe but also be way more visually interesting than "one fleet pursues another in literally a straight line" ?

I think ending TFA with Rey finding Luke also constrains them quite a bit, because it required TLJ to pick up just seconds after TFA ends to resolve that cliffhanger. I get why they ended TFA the way they did though, seeing old man Luke was a real thrill in 2015.

Honestly this all stems from the fundamental failure of the sequels, which was that they pretty much let the three writer/directors completely do their own thing instead of coming up with an initial story treatment before a single frame was filmed. Even Palpatine coming back from the dead could have worked if there was even a tiny bit of groundwork laid beforehand, instead of this huge revelation introduced in the first sentence of the opening crawl/in loving Fortnite, of all places.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah this bugs the poo poo out of me, it makes the universe feel so small and the events so inconsequential when everything is compressed into such a tight timeframe. TLJ in particular feels like an unforced error here -- why not have the Resistance fleet bouncing around the galaxy playing cat and mouse with Snoke, which would not only give the Rey and Finn plots more time to breathe but also be way more visually interesting than "one fleet pursues another in literally a straight line" ?

Yeah it's baffling they didn't do this, especially because it made such a fantastic episode of BSG and so much of TLJ already feels BSG-inspired.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ninjahedgehog posted:

"Running out of gas" seems like the least interesting of several similar scenarios you could create to tell the story of a resistance group starting to tear itself apart under the attack of a larger force. You could have had an active chase, scenes where they're hiding from scout ships, or a protracted ground siege at Crait instead of it only showing up 2 hours in.

You don't necessarily need a story that holds together tightly to make a good movie, and I think that's where a lot of the divisiveness of TLJ comes from. It's playing with interesting themes, it's got great character work, and it's the best looking movie by a country mile... but if you're not invested in that it is kinda easy to tear the story down on a plot beat by plot beat level. I get why people are bothered by the hyperspace ramming scene, but also it's beautiful and Laura Dern is amazing, so I don't a poo poo whether or not it's consistent with imaginary physics.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think ending TFA with Rey finding Luke also constrains them quite a bit, because it required TLJ to pick up just seconds after TFA ends to resolve that cliffhanger. I get why they ended TFA the way they did though, seeing old man Luke was a real thrill in 2015.

Yeah, the only way you can do a time jump after the way TFA ends is if you assume Luke just trained Rey in the standard fashion. You either skip forward a few years and assume that Luke trained Rey (the most boring option) or you have to pick it up right after to do something differently.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

jivjov posted:

I'm actually right now trying to get caught up on a bunch of new releases that have come out and I've backburnered due to having something resembling a social life now. I've been prioritizing High Republic stuff but once I'm done with that, what should be my next read? The Ascendancy trilogy finale? Ronin? Brotherhood? Queen's Hope?

Ronin is the only one of these I've read and I'll recommend it. As ecureuilmatrix said it's a very AU world. I really enjoyed it's cast of characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Shadow of the Sith book that's about Luke and Lando post-ROTJ is supposed to come out in three weeks but a few people have found early copies so some spoilers are coming out online. I haven't seen anything too big but one minor Legends connection is that it finally establishes that Luke's Jedi temple is on Ossus (not really a spoiler, but just in case anyone cares).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Luke's Jedi temple is on Ossus

#NotMyPraxeum

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is it ever talked about in old canon or new if Jedi are vegetarians or vegans? I don't think so, especially not in old canon, but I'm not totally sure.

I suppose it would be difficult to have mandates like this in a diverse galaxy; some Jedi are maybe from an herbivorous species, others from carnivorous ones.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Individual Jedi might be, but they don't have a rule about it.

Luke definitely drank milk and ate fish in TLJ, and presumably his diet on the island would be similar to the ancient Jedi. Luke also used the promise of delicious live frogs to coerce Grogu into becoming a Jedi, and if he's building a Jedi school and hanging out with Ahsoka, the Jedi Meal Plan might have come up at some point.

Anakin also ate live bugs in the 2D Clone Wars cartoon, one of the novels had a Jedi Temple breakfast with eggs and pâté, and the Jawa Juice that Obi-Wan drank at Dex's apparently included Bantha hide as an ingredient.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finished reading X-Wing: Rogue Squadron and apart from the earlier comments I made regarding it, was pretty surprised at how well it can read.

I found it interesting especially that the arc of the squadron of a whole is that they are very confident post-training, and that they quickly rack up victories, but are still capable of being flatfooted when they face trained resistance against their missions and that the missions they perform don't always succeed. When they get raided in their own base it is because of the imperials (or, at least, Agent Loor) being smart rather than pure happenstance, so it's nice to see the imperial as not simply incompetant but as something that should be rightly feared. On the other hand, the book paints the Bothans in an extremely negative light, but I might be reading too much into it, although I remember from other bits of the Legends EU that Bothans always seemed too political in terms of their efforts within the rebellion/New Republic.

I've also mid-way into Wedge's Gamble, and it seems okay so far. I find it extremely funny that they "he died on the way to his home planet"-ed Bror Jace, between the two books. The most interesting part of Wedge's Gamble so far has been the Imperial Museum visit: it's kind of cool to see the other side, as it were. The only thing I'm not 100% buying is the whole "let's release part of the Black Sun leadership" plot, it seems kind of dumb and seems to be more a danger to the New Republic (and especially it's legitimacy, since they have literally released known hardened criminals, which isn't great in terms of PR looks), than an active threat to the Empire. It doesn't make much sense IMO, even if it's framed as something that Rogue Squadron are reluctant to do.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I finally finally read Specter of the Past and it is hilarious how Zann shits over the shittiest parts of the EU. Can't wait to read Visions of the Future. Hope it continues

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bunnyofdoom posted:

I finally finally read Specter of the Past and it is hilarious how Zann shits over the shittiest parts of the EU. Can't wait to read Visions of the Future. Hope it continues

Oh it most definitely continues. (I won't get into more until you read it, but please check back in.)

Back in the day, Vision of the Future was my favorite Star Wars book (though it's been forever since I read it). If you enjoyed Specter of the Past, you're gonna love Vision.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Is it ever talked about in old canon or new if Jedi are vegetarians or vegans? I don't think so, especially not in old canon, but I'm not totally sure.

I suppose it would be difficult to have mandates like this in a diverse galaxy; some Jedi are maybe from an herbivorous species, others from carnivorous ones.

For some reason I always recall the scene in I, Jedi when Corran goes to a Twi'lek restaurant and eats a mynock.

In retrospect, I'm kind of surprised there was never a vegetarian themed book in the Young Jedi Knights series, especially given Jacen's animal-loving personality.

Tekopo posted:

Finished reading X-Wing: Rogue Squadron and apart from the earlier comments I made regarding it, was pretty surprised at how well it can read.

RE the Bothans, I think Zahn had a fairly nuanced view of Borsk and the Bothans overall. Borsk was kind of self-serving, but he also had reasons for that which made sense from his point of view, especially as an alien amongst the mostly-human leadership of the Rebellion/Republic who had a different perspective on what fighting for freedom meant.

Stackpole, I feel, is the one who took Zahn's depiction and turned the Bothans into the sort of selfish, incompetent caricature that they became crystallized as, and Borsk into Ultimate Villain of the Republic which then just continued into NJO.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fey'lya isn't the villain of the republic, really, but he's certainly there to generate friction in leia's storylines so that the new republic government can't just fix the central problem of a story instantly. somebody has to be an obstinate jerk to give leia something to do as a politician and fey'lya is basically always the go-to guy for that. i think eventually it starts feeling a bit lazy because he's always the voice of opposition to her plans

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I appreciate Fey'lya for having a name that really follows the George Lucas tradition.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Jazerus posted:

fey'lya isn't the villain of the republic, really, but he's certainly there to generate friction in leia's storylines so that the new republic government can't just fix the central problem of a story instantly. somebody has to be an obstinate jerk to give leia something to do as a politician and fey'lya is basically always the go-to guy for that. i think eventually it starts feeling a bit lazy because he's always the voice of opposition to her plans

I think by the time of New Jedi Order when his actions are impeding a "we live or we die" war effort, he's reached some level of villainy.

That is my memory of the first few books, his constant loving over the Jedi, undermining their attempts to resist the Vong, and killing god knows how many by letting them get a foothold in the galaxy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

I appreciate Fey'lya for having a name that really follows the George Lucas tradition.

...I am actually mad I am only just now getting the pun

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chairman Capone posted:

Stackpole, I feel, is the one who took Zahn's depiction and turned the Bothans into the sort of selfish, incompetent caricature that they became crystallized as, and Borsk into Ultimate Villain of the Republic which then just continued into NJO.
Yeah, Stackpole unfortunately leans really hard into the "politicians bad, military good" trope both in X-wing and NJO, and Borsk ends up being a big part of that.

Although I will say that reading the NJO last year, "politicians are ignoring a deadly threat to avoid upsetting the status quo" felt a lot more realistic.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, how did I miss that for literally twenty years :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You guys are both Fey'lyas

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah what the gently caress, how did I miss that for literally twenty years :stare:

Motherfucker :same:

Arc Hammer posted:

You guys are both Fey'lyas

:negative:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Vinylshadow posted:

In my head I always put the emphasis on the last syllable, so I didn’t notice myself until I listened to the Heir to the Empire audiobook.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zoran posted:

ninjahedgehog posted:

fartknocker posted:

Motherfucker :same:

:negative:

Hmmm...nope still don't see it.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

SirPhoebos posted:

Hmmm...nope still don't see it.

Feyl ya. Failure.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Son of a gently caress.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I always thought Fey'lya had a point in opposing the Leia in the New Republic.

He was a young man during the Clone Wars and in his frame of reference the Jedi were a bunch superpowered warlords.

Now as the New Republic starts to take form the most powerful block's leader, Mon Mothma, seems to want to help bring them back from the ashes. Seeming only surounding herself with humans.

And there are no term limits! She is in power for the first 7 years of the New Republic.

Furthmore it turns of the New Order Jedi Wizards Pope's sister is The chosen succeser of the that power block. And she has been spending time being brain washed at the Jedi Vatican.

And she is more or less in power for the next 6 years. Oh yeah and she is the daughter of Space Hitler.

The entire time she is in power she is constantly having her children or husband kidnapped.

#MNRGA
#Make New Republic Great Again
#Let's go Oregano-Ginko

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ScottyJSno posted:

He was a young man during the Clone Wars and in his frame of reference the Jedi were a bunch superpowered warlords.
This makes way more sense after the fact than it did at the time. Almost all of the books he's in were written before the Clone Wars were explored beyond what Obi-Wan shits out in Episode IV.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

....since when were the Jedi space warlords in the Clone Wars?

They were disposable generals in an army that were in fact disposed of. They had no real power either as seen by one man's decision to lop off the head of the chancellor because the chancellor had all the power.

The Jedi's entire history is "the Republic is in danger, we better save their dumb asses." Except in KOTOR when it was more like Revan will save their dumb asses.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you lead your troops in front, make all the decisions and don’t have a military staff or a civilian department you report to, you are probably a warlord.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

NikkolasKing posted:

....since when were the Jedi space warlords in the Clone Wars?

They were disposable generals in an army that were in fact disposed of. They had no real power either as seen by one man's decision to lop off the head of the chancellor because the chancellor had all the power.

The Jedi's entire history is "the Republic is in danger, we better save their dumb asses." Except in KOTOR when it was more like Revan will save their dumb asses.

And you think the Emperor let that be the public narrative?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zoran posted:

In my head I always put the emphasis on the last syllable, so I didn’t notice myself until I listened to the Heir to the Empire audiobook.

Yeah I'd always read it as something like "Fay Liar" which still sounds like an insult.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ceebees posted:

Feyl ya. Failure.

That's not how you pronounce a 'y' or an 'a'.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SirPhoebos posted:

That's not how you pronounce a 'y' or an 'a'.

It's "failya," as if you're saying failure with an accent

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

General Battuta posted:

If you lead your troops in front, make all the decisions and don’t have a military staff or a civilian department you report to, you are probably a warlord.
There was a military staff, and not all of it was clones even!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Also the prequels make it pretty clear that the Jedi report to the Senate

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Senate, you say?

https://twitter.com/patrickcotnoir/status/1536152267509866498

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

God dammit. Now I have to be a Bernie Bro.