Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I think the threat with Ryan is they will hide him away so Homelander never has a chance at seeing him again or killing Ryan.

If Ryan is the contingency plan it's a lovely plan for a few reasons:

1 - Homelander wasn't supposed to be able to reproduce and they should have been thinking of a failsafe while Homelander was still a kid

2 - If Homelander's failsafe was keeping his son away from him then they would have told him about Ryan a long time ago instead of trying to keep Homelander from finding out

3 - And again, if Homelander had gone insane while Ryan was only 1 or 2 years old then Ryan wouldn't be able to stop him

quote:

It's unclear if they could do either. Vought being as evil as they are, I'm surprised they aren't secretly testing things like "Can Ryan be poisoned? Can he drown? Can he suffocate?" as things they can use on Homelander.

They don't say it explicitly in the show but I get the feeling that the original plan for Ryan was to have Becca raise him mostly normally until he hit puberty and then they'd start teaching him about his powers and running tests on him to build him up as a failsafe. Although you'd also have to have Vought teaching Ryan that Homelander is actually a lovely rear end in a top hat villain and hope that Ryan never finds out that Homelander is actually his dad. There are all kinds of holes in that plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Tying back into my complaint about Vought being every side of every coin, I think that Soldier Boy being an anti-super weapon housed in a Russian medical lab is 100% Vought’s doing

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

itry posted:

That's some A-grade gibberish.

It's also a real Blondie song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The astroturfing of those comments on the Soldier Boy Solid Gold video is pretty amazing. Vought PR bots doing a great job

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

itry posted:

Edit:

Blondie took that song to number one!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 11, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda like how they start making A-Train a bit more of a sympathetic character in the first few episodes only to remind you he's a complete piece of poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elephant Ambush posted:

And if the trump card is really Soldier Boy, why the gently caress are they keeping him locked up in Russia? And what makes them think Soldier Boy will cooperate?

Just because the asset is in Russia now doesn't mean it was always there. Simple enough for Vought (and there's no way anyone else could be behind it) to move the asset around until they needed it and could figure out how to utilize it effectively.

It's not clear if every other country has a similar number of supes so maybe it was just a matter of convenience to avoid people stumbling across it by accident, plus the ease of bribing officials to get whatever resources were necessary without a bunch of oversight. Not that bribing officials in the US is difficult but it does require a few more hoops to navigate and you have people like Mallory actively investigating supes or agitating for greater government regulation of supes.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This whole thing is really interesting because Edgar straight up says to Neuman "Homelander's still afraid of me" and I wonder if that's really true

Homelander knows that Edgar isn't scared of him, and is willing to talk poo poo to his face. Homelander can't conceive of anything except brute power - he can be sneaky and he's not dumb but to him power is just who can do the most violence the fastest. Edgar isn't afraid of Homelander, even after , getting kneecapped by his adopted supe daughter/secret assassin, ergo Edgar must know or have something that could harm Homelander. It's straight up Abuser Dynamics 101.

Homelander is so hosed up that he just can't understand someone like Edgar, who has an inner resolve and determination that doesn't stem from anything Homelander sees as important. Compare that to Homelander's thing with Butcher - much easier for him to understand because Butcher is (or has the potential to be) just as violent and depraved, but is restrained because he is outclassed by supes.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 11, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The anti-Seven graffiti looked really cool. The art department on this show is very talented.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander knows that Edgar isn't scared of him, and is willing to talk poo poo to his face. Homelander can't conceive of anything except brute power - he can be sneaky and he's not dumb but to him power is just who can do the most violence the fastest. Edgar isn't afraid of Homelander, even after , getting kneecapped by his adopted supe daughter/secret assassin, ergo Edgar must know or have something that could harm Homelander. It's straight up Abuser Dynamics 101.

That reminds me of this video. The lions are being skittish because can't be sure if the dog knows something that they don't. Anything that small and that confident must have a reason for it, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E764g-uZTFk

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God lord Blondie have been around for so long, and in so many different places.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

itry posted:

gently caress am I old.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I thought it was like a “soldier boy will be on a tv screen for 7 seconds max so just have him make poo poo up” thing.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Jensen Ackles and Jack Quaid need to think about taking the stairs sometimes.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Golden Bee posted:

Blondie took that song to number one!

Yeah, but it's still gibberish. Can't argue with Blondie and a good music video though.

anatomi posted:

The anti-Seven graffiti looked really cool. The art department on this show is very talented.

I'm sure I've seen that gas station already. Was it in the show on S2 or S1? Is it an actual gas station with real graffiti and someone linked to it last year or something? Or was it just a behind the scenes sort of thing.

Talking about the Maeve as Saturn one.

Edit:

2nd level spells posted:

It's not gibberish really. It references a bunch of early hip hop culture: the title is a reference to rap music itself. graffiti tagging ("paint a train"), grandmaster flash ("flash is fast, flash is cool"), fab five freddy (name-dropped), a couple lines from rapper's delight are borrowed, "eating cars" and "eating bars" are predictions on hip hop taking over radio and the dance scene

Hmm. Interesting.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 11, 2022

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Claudia Doumit got a tan since filming concluded and looks EXACTLY like Mia Khalifa in all of their promotional reels for the show coming out now and boy HOWDY is that crossing some wires!!!!

Bust Rodd

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
It's not gibberish really. It references a bunch of early hip hop culture: the title is a reference to rap music itself. graffiti tagging ("paint a train"), grandmaster flash ("flash is fast, flash is cool"), fab five freddy (name-dropped), a couple lines from rapper's delight are borrowed, "eating cars" and "eating bars" are predictions on hip hop taking over radio and the dance scene

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Truly boggling nerd-conjecture but if The Deep can survive naked at the bottom of the ocean than his bones and muscles would probably feel like bridge cable and steel girders compared to a normal person, because he obviously can survive on land without water it’s pretty clear his bones and muscles work more like a submarine’s shell than a fishes anatomy

lmao at myself

The main issue for people underwater is air, the rest of the body is mostly water and incompressible. So when you're scuba diving, you're pumping air from the tank at the appropriate pressure to keep the pressure inside you equal to the outside and avoid collapsing the lungs. This works until you go deep enough and oxygen becomes toxic.

Since Deep has gills (instead of lungs?), I'd assume this isn't an issue for him at all and he would be able to go much, much deeper. Alternatively, if he's still a mammal with lungs, maybe he has other sea mammal adaptations:

quote:

In summary, the primary anatomical adaptations for pressure of a deep-diving mammal such as the sperm whale center on air-containing spaces and the prevention of tissue barotrauma. Air cavities, when present, are lined with venous plexuses, which are thought to fill at depth, obliterate the air space, and prevent "the squeeze." The lungs collapse, which prevents lung rupture and (important with regard to physiology) blocks gas exchange in the lung. Lack of nitrogen absorption at depth prevents the development of nitrogen narcosis and decompression sickness. In addition, because the lungs do not serve as a source of oxygen at depth, deep divers rely on enhanced oxygen stores in their blood and muscle.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-deep-diving-sea-cr/

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Nerds

I hope deep gives his wife the gillussy

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I don’t think Vought controls the Russian military. Otherwise Maeve could’ve given them a much better hint.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Perhaps “eating bars” was a prescient guess about SoundCloud mumble rappers?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Solider Boy’s abduction was orchestrated by Russian counterpart to Vought and thread-favorite misspelling, Voight.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jon Voight captured him

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Voight bought naughty Vought out back in double ought.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mobby_6kl posted:

Since Deep has gills (instead of lungs?), I'd assume this isn't an issue for him at all and he would be able to go much, much deeper. Alternatively, if he's still a mammal with lungs, maybe he has other sea mammal adaptations:

I'm just going to assume that when he's underwater he's filling his lungs with water while the gills handle the oxygenation. I'm also going to assume that is just as unpleasant for him as it sounds.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Alright so The Boys is renewed for season 4 which is no big surprise as it's planned out as a five season show.

In response, The Boys twitter account posted an image of the various stars holding up four figures to signal the fourth season.

It's notable for a reason.

Did you notice who is and who isn't there? Not that you can take such things as being 100% truthful, they do love to make you think this character or that won't make it only to do the opposite

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Soldier boy, made of clay
Now an empty shell
Twenty one, only son
But he served us well
Bred to kill, not to care
Do just as we say
Finished here, greetings death
He's yours to take away

Does "Soldier Boy" have another meaning or reference? Because that's the only thing I can think of when I hear his name.

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm just going to assume that when he's underwater he's filling his lungs with water while the gills handle the oxygenation. I'm also going to assume that is just as unpleasant for him as it sounds.
Ugh, no thanks

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Alright so The Boys is renewed for season 4 which is no big surprise as it's planned out as a five season show.

In response, The Boys twitter account posted an image of the various stars holding up four figures to signal the fourth season.

It's notable for a reason.

Did you notice who is and who isn't there? Not that you can take such things as being 100% truthful, they do love to make you think this character or that won't make it only to do the opposite

It was the nine most liked actors

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Stan is perfectly chill at all times because he’s secretly the most juiced up supe there is

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Wheeee posted:

Stan is perfectly chill at all times because he’s secretly the most juiced up supe there is

Now that would be a twist. But also start getting into True Blood territory where every character becomes something special.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Robobot posted:

Now that would be a twist. But also start getting into True Blood territory where every character becomes something special.

That would start getting incredibly lame if they went that route where everyone became a fairy, or a gnome, or a werepanther, or an orc or whatever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Wheeee posted:

“Wow he really did have motor oil for blood”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Really want more info about young stan becoming the demon he is today, and his exact relationship to Black Noir

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh poo poo, he's the man from mars.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Bust Rodd posted:

Really want more info about young stan becoming the demon he is today, and his exact relationship to Black Noir

- born rich
- gay lover

For more information see my fanfiction

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

Oh poo poo, he's the man from mars.

ever since Westworld S1 i always try to make one extremely outlandish and stupid guess about what the big twist could be and this is mine for The Boys, HES AN ALIEN I TELLS YA

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

When we saw victoria neuman gently caress up Tony in the alley her power seemed a bit like sue reed making an invisible forcefield and she hosed up her aim which led to him losing his hand then his lower jaw (and finally his head)

So it’s not so much a straight head pop but a kind of “absence” of space (in a small radius) if she can’t aim properly(as it were) then she’ll just maim them,yeah she’d have no chance against Homelander.

Just thoughts.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The weapon actually was the hamster

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

When we saw victoria neuman gently caress up Tony in the alley her power seemed a bit like sue reed making an invisible forcefield and she hosed up her aim which led to him losing his hand then his lower jaw (and finally his head)

So it’s not so much a straight head pop but a kind of “absence” of space (in a small radius) if she can’t aim properly(as it were) then she’ll just maim them,yeah she’d have no chance against Homelander.

Just thoughts.

She popped his hand because thats all she could see, she needs eye contact with the target

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assumed she can just explode things she sees. She just chooses to pop heads for effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Hard to feel too much empathy for Vicky and her situation considering the sheer amount of people, several arguably innocent, that she popped in the courtroom last season.

I still love her though and let’s hope her daughter isn’t completely hosed up.