Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Last Call posted:

In response, The Boys twitter account posted an image of the various stars holding up four figures to signal the fourth season.

It's notable for a reason.

The way Vicky is holding up her four fingers could also be interpreted as gesturing "Oops" or surprise/shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

If Ryan is the contingency plan it's a lovely plan for a few reasons:

1 - Homelander wasn't supposed to be able to reproduce and they should have been thinking of a failsafe while Homelander was still a kid

2 - If Homelander's failsafe was keeping his son away from him then they would have told him about Ryan a long time ago instead of trying to keep Homelander from finding out

3 - And again, if Homelander had gone insane while Ryan was only 1 or 2 years old then Ryan wouldn't be able to stop him

They don't say it explicitly in the show but I get the feeling that the original plan for Ryan was to have Becca raise him mostly normally until he hit puberty and then they'd start teaching him about his powers and running tests on him to build him up as a failsafe. Although you'd also have to have Vought teaching Ryan that Homelander is actually a lovely rear end in a top hat villain and hope that Ryan never finds out that Homelander is actually his dad. There are all kinds of holes in that plan

I think if withholding/killing Ryan is the contingency plan, it's a happy accident for Vought. They didn't have a 20-year plan on this one, but Stan Edgar is happy to play a good card that he's been dealt.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

It would actually be kinda funny for them to do the twist from the comics but it turns out nobody cares / they think its all a deep state plot / his base decides it's good, actually.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It would actually be kinda funny for them to do the twist from the comics but it turns out nobody cares / they think its all a deep state plot / his base decides it's good, actually.

Homelander raped and ate the president? Good. He was a cuck anyways.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
On that note, some predictions:

1) Homelander is either going to do all the awful stuff that Black Noir did in the comics--all on his own volition. No gaslighting or anything, just Homelander coming up with it all on his own.

2) Homelander and Starlight will be an actual couple--at least for a few episodes. Starlight will be Homelander's most recent attempt at a romantic relationship... Thus, Starlight will see the smallest glimpse of humanity in Homelander and go for it (because writers enjoy their love triangles & "good girl/bad boy" relationships)... But then break it off eventually, because Homelander's beyond the point where a healthy relationship is possible. In the meanwhile, this will further increase Hughie's feelings of emasculation.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 12, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The A in A-Train stands for rear end.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
homelander calling him fat is just jealous he has flat white girl booty

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Darko posted:

Magento is a terrible comparison, as he's just a mix of Malcom X/Black Panther figures that want liberation and won't mind being violent to oppressors that use violence against his people. He's a lot more chill than Cyclops in that at this point. Homelander is any number of evil Supermen that have been created, this one just with specific ego and emotional issues going on that make him psychopathic. Every season has every tether containing him failing, which is kind of the point. Currently he feels he has none and is probably going to hit a huge wall of hubris for it.

what I mean is that homelander seems to believe the poo poo he's selling and has a vision for what the world should be beyond himself

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Huh. Gunpowder actually showed up in episode 2 of the first season. When they contact Cherie to create a distraction for Homelander she's watching an interview with him about a mall shooting. (spoiler: it could have been prevented if more people had guns).

I did not remember that.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

It is interesting that Homelander threatened Starlight with Hughie getting the Super Sonic treatment rather than just threatening her directly.

It could just be because he honestly thinks she might still fall for him rather than any comment on her power I guess.

Hughie squaring up to Homelander earlier on in the episode was a neat touch. It's not often we see someone looking taller than Homelander either.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'm thinking Soldier Boy either is actually a big coward and surrendered the second more than one guy was around him, or he defected.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

It is interesting that Homelander threatened Starlight with Hughie getting the Super Sonic treatment rather than just threatening her directly.

It could just be because he honestly thinks she might still fall for him rather than any comment on her power I guess.

Hughie squaring up to Homelander earlier on in the episode was a neat touch. It's not often we see someone looking taller than Homelander either.

I think he thinks she'll fall for him eventually, like Maeve did, or he doesn't want to risk the wave of #homelight good PR that's trending right now.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

SpaceCommie posted:

I think it's because he knows she's actually a good person who would be willing to sacrifice herself to try to stop him but threatening someone she cares about makes the moral math more complicated.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
The closest villain to Homelander to me is Reverse Flash, but the Reverse Flash that jerked Barry off at light speed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

He might be terrifying, but he do skip leg day.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Killing Starlight means the game is over. Killing someone she cares about means he can keep hurting her.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

runaway dog posted:

The closest villain to Homelander to me is Reverse Flash, but the Reverse Flash that jerked Barry off at light speed.

One of my all time favorite yt videos haha

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Fionordequester posted:

On that note, some predictions:

2) Homelander and Starlight will be an actual couple--at least for a few episodes.

How the gently caress can you take this reading of the show? She’s been conspiring to murder him for a while now, actively covering for a group of people who murdered Translucent, for over a year. He returned her assaulter to the team instead either of two qualified women. He undermines her constantly in extremely sexist terms, gets people associated with her fired, and murdered her ex, one of the few nice people in her life.
Last season, he accused her of terrorism and locked her up within her workplace.

They are not going to fall in love.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

kidding!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Just watched the episode, unwilling to read the last four pages.

The A-Train ad made me as upset and uncomfortable as the Lil’ Starlight dance routine, last week. Somehow, I feel like complicit for even passively viewing.

Kimiko theory: she’ll be in critical condition for most of the next episode, but will make a miraculous recovery. Thus, establishing that Soldier Boy’s anti-power ray has an effect timer and even if they hit Homelander, there’s still only a small window to kill him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Golden Bee posted:

How the gently caress can you take this reading of the show? She’s been conspiring to murder him for a while now, actively covering for a group of people who murdered Translucent, for over a year. He returned her assaulter to the team instead either of two qualified women. He undermines her constantly in extremely sexist terms, gets people associated with her fired, and murdered her ex, one of the few nice people in her life.
Last season, he accused her of terrorism and locked her up within her workplace.

You overestimate the relationship skills of the average goon :v

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never actually saw the pepsi ad until now it's pretty astonishing to realize this wasn't a joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJCcnkqnjqU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If Butcher isn't a total bastard, I see him microdosing Kimiko to kickstart her healing ability if Hughie didn't use up all his temp-V stash near the start of next episode.

Currently wondering what powers Frenchie and Mothers Milk would manifest if they took temp-V/V24 vs their baseline powerset from the comics series.

Stan Edgar doesn't have superpowers, he flat out told Homelander exactly how Homelander is going to gently caress up Homelander's coup attempt at taking over Vought. Managing Vought is a full time job so all the poo poo Vought covered up under the reign of Vogelbaum, then Stillwell, and then Edgar isn't going to be covered up going forward; given that Homelander only cares about himself and has approximately zero of the political maneuvering skills and contacts that even day 1 new hires at any upper management position have.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Either Kimiko or Frenchie is not long for this world. Whenever characters talk about doing one last job and then they can go to X place, that never materializes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He might be terrifying, but he do skip leg day.

He's a relatively skinny dude underneath all that padding - I was actually surprised they did the nude scene with him because it was so jarring how tiny he looked out of the suit, but I guess if you're an invincible flying man with eye lasers you don't really have an incentive to hit the gym.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Golden Bee posted:

How the gently caress can you take this reading of the show?

Because writers have a tendency to work in as many pairings as possible--regardless of how little sense some of them make.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

i love that they make it explicit that homelander is a skinny little manlet in a foam muscle suit

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
This wouldn't have happened if the show was The Gals

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Homelander knows that Edgar isn't scared of him, and is willing to talk poo poo to his face. Homelander can't conceive of anything except brute power - he can be sneaky and he's not dumb but to him power is just who can do the most violence the fastest. Edgar isn't afraid of Homelander, even after , getting kneecapped by his adopted supe daughter/secret assassin, ergo Edgar must know or have something that could harm Homelander. It's straight up Abuser Dynamics 101.
I'm assuming Edgar is a supe based on nothing else than the comment about his blood pressure. Or he's really good at mindfulness. Super-mindfulness?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

TyrantWD posted:

Either Kimiko or Frenchie is not long for this world. Whenever characters talk about doing one last job and then they can go to X place, that never materializes.

as soon as that was said I said out loud "aw man one of them is gonna die this season"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If they wanted to have a Starlight love triangle they would have done it with Supersonic.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

unlimited shrimp posted:

I'm assuming Edgar is a supe based on nothing else than the comment about his blood pressure. Or he's really good at mindfulness. Super-mindfulness?

A holdover from comics Stilwell. Essentially he was the purest possible corporate reptile. And completely human.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah, supersonic was loving dead the moment he was introduced, you can't really build tension in the love triangle when you 100% know one of them isn't going to make it to the end of season, or likely even to the end of the next episode.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

unlimited shrimp posted:

Stan’s superpower is being a born rich CEO who’s never been truly challenged enough in life to have developed a reasonable fear response

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Kimiko theory: she’ll be in critical condition for most of the next episode, but will make a miraculous recovery. Thus, establishing that Soldier Boy’s anti-power ray has an effect timer and even if they hit Homelander, there’s still only a small window to kill him.

People have been speculating how the show will continue into more seasons because you can't just have Homelander be an escalating psycho into infinity, and I think it'll be something like this.

He goes completely off the leash, starts to enact his "kill the whole world" plan, Soldier Boy and the rest temporarily humble him, and he spends Season 4 waging war on humanity from his base on the moon like Rita Repulsa

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Stan’s superpower is being a born rich CEO who’s never been truly challenged enough in life to have developed a reasonable fear response

I don't trust the showrunners to be that anti-capitalist.

PostNouveau posted:

People have been speculating how the show will continue into more seasons because you can't just have Homelander be an escalating psycho into infinity, and I think it'll be something like this.

He goes completely off the leash, starts to enact his "kill the whole world" plan, Soldier Boy and the rest temporarily humble him, and he spends Season 4 waging war on humanity from his base on the moon like Rita Repulsa

This whole series leading to a Professor X vs Magneto/Marvel: Civil War scenario would be fitting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I like the Rita Repulsa idea.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

itry posted:

I'm sure I've seen that gas station already. Was it in the show on S2 or S1? Is it an actual gas station with real graffiti and someone linked to it last year or something? Or was it just a behind the scenes sort of thing.

Talking about the Maeve as Saturn one.

BurritoJustice posted:

Maeve Devouring Her Son (c. 1823)

Maybe my post of it in this thread if you followed in the offseason?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah if Starlight falls for Homelander I will not only stop watching this show, but will hit myself in the head with a big dildo until I forget about its existence. What a horrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Fionordequester posted:

Because writers have a tendency to work in as many pairings as possible--regardless of how little sense some of them make.

You watch bad shows.

And just the whole equating being cool with her rape and killing people she cares about as being a bad boy she'll fall for.

I'm not following this thread maybe this is a joke.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 12, 2022