Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
this is the funniest loving thread tonight omfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I don't think Stan Edgar has a secret contingency to use against Homelander, I think he was just very confident in his ability to leverage control of Vought's PR machine to keep him in line. He's still confident that Homelander can't handle it, but he's annoyed that Homelander picked the MAD option. He has the Comics Stillwell quality of being thoroughly unimpressed by Homelander and not having a fear response that he expects from everyone else, we see the same thing as he's intrigued by Hughie in their last scene.

Homelander's just not used to people who are able to genuinely hold things together around him: he can hear people's heartbeats pick up whenever he's even remotely menacing. He's always messing with people and pushing their buttons to see what provokes them. Being immine to that was Stan's leverage.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 12, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't trust the showrunners to be that anti-capitalist.

It's a pretty direct adaptation of the character he draws heavily from in the comics with a speech not unlike the one Stan gave coming right at the climax of the series.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't trust the showrunners to be that anti-capitalist.

This show has been quite savvy, with regard to both internet/pop culture and politics.

Being anti-capitalist is absolutely permitted in our society, and among significant portions of the culture is even an encouraged attitude. What you cannot be is materially working against its interests, ie union organizing.

That capitalism is admittedly imperfect and open to criticism and attack from both academia and popular media is a sign of how near-absolute its dominance is in the western world. Capitalism does not need to be perfect if it is inevitable.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Make a season where Butcher and the boys just hunt down a different hero each episode, instead of monster of the week they can call it supe of the day.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m sure that Edgar has some contingencies, he would’ve wasted 40 years of his life if he didn’t. He knows the company basically exists because of operation paperclip. There’s a reason every episode summary is an in universe ad: he’s continued his company’s rise to global hyper-dominance.

What’s fascinating is Stan’s Homelander’s creator and father, and he has nothing to gain from him that he hasn’t already gotten. He would probably much rather that he has a lovely seven led by The Deep then have Homelander in charge. And Stan tells Dakota Bob Vought would rather sell superhumans than hire them.

Homelander doesn’t kill him because doing so would prove a point Stan made*. Stan won’t grovel, outside of extraordinary circumstances; he’s abusive, and while Homelander may obliquely diss him on television, even that doesn’t work. He’s a stage father that won’t even acknowledge that he’s a father, a Joe Jackson that never needed to raise a hand.

What’s fascinating is he seems to be a much better father to other people: Victoria and him get along, and he’s proud of her, even when she betrays him. Homelander can brandish fear, right wing alarmism, and charm for the cameras. None of that poo poo works on Stan.

*Not on camera, I believe, but I haven’t seen season 1 lately.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 12, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

homelander standing before stan, in stan's home

begging him to come back

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

supe of the day.
:drat:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

best part of that pepsi ad is still the protest sign saying "join the conversation"

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the problem vaught has, and has always had is Varience. You sell a tonne of v-speed or v-strength or v-hypermobility(lol my fellow ed sufferers) to anybody, especially specops. But when there is no certainty in the outcome of the dose. Politicians may like the idea, but actual generals would recoil faster than a slug facing salt.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Things like the pilot killing jet and the god of war ammo and Iraq prove the military will buy things, even if they’re not good.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

actual generals would recoil faster than a slug facing salt.

lol they'd be injecting it into every new enlisted and telling them it's a vaccine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

I think the problem vaught has, and has always had is Varience. You sell a tonne of v-speed or v-strength or v-hypermobility(lol my fellow ed sufferers) to anybody, especially specops. But when there is no certainty in the outcome of the dose. Politicians may like the idea, but actual generals would recoil faster than a slug facing salt.

I don't get this reasoning at all. You have a bunch of highly trained spec ops. You give them a single dose of V and see what powers manifest. If their powers are useful, great. They can continue to get doses and train to use their powers. If not, too bad they don't get anymore V. I really doubt they would be popping V for the first time in a combat situation.

Wheeee posted:

lol they'd be injecting it into every new enlisted and telling them it's a vaccine

Actually it would probably be this haha

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Make a season where Butcher and the boys just hunt down a different hero each episode, instead of monster of the week they can call it supe of the day.

Excuse me, I believe you mean supe de jour.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Technically supe de semaine.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Wheeee posted:

homelander standing before stan, in stan's home

begging him to come back

Homelanders hair is a mess,his cape has a big hole in it and he’s missing a shoe lol.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Homelander runs afoul of the only thing more depraved and uncaring for human life than he is: shareholders.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Zombieland show was going to have a "zombie kill of the week" every episode and it sounds like a great idea with supes. No capes!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think what’s gonna happen is Homelander is either gonna force Starlight to do sex stuff at Herogasm OR he’s gonna just break into her apartment in the 7 tower and force Hew and Starlight to gently caress in front of him

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i kinda wanted to see a group of them try to kill Homelander

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think it would be hilarious if Homelander just burst into tears or something if somebody/something actually does manage to hurt him, even if only a little bit. As far as I know he's NEVER felt physical pain in his life so the sensation would probably be terrifying to him.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is Becca Homelander’s only SA victim? If he can have super babies why aren’t their dozens of Ryans? Do we ever get the full story of him & Becca? What made her different or special to Homelander, why her and not, like, Ashley or one of his other peons?

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Here's a thought: Homelandet in a blue line American flag cape.

A bit on the nose, but nothing like hammering on that metaphor button until the irony is so thick you could cut it with eye beams.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

BurritoJustice posted:

BurritoJustice posted:

Maeve Devouring Her Son (c. 1823)
Maybe my post of it in this thread if you followed in the offseason?

Yeah that's it :tipshat:

Now we know what it was for.

Shima Honnou posted:

:dadjoke:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

Here's a thought: Homelandet in a blue line American flag cape.

A bit on the nose, but nothing like hammering on that metaphor button until the irony is so thick you could cut it with eye beams.

The blue hawk plotline is playing out pretty well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat, love this show.

I'm getting the impression Temp-V's powers aren't random, but depend on the person using it. I thought at first Hughie got speedster powers, which seemed interesting considering his history with A-train, but I guess it is teleporting. He's enjoying it way too much.

I was actually thinking maybe this'd be the final season, from the way things are escalating. I don't see Homelander getting ended before a final season, so I guess Soldier Boy will at least partially depower him and hurt him for a while. I don't think that's the most interesting way to take things, but I trust the writers to handle it well.

People wondered why Homelander lets A-train hang around, I see it as a sadist liking to have a familiar target around. One where he knows which buttons to push.

I... really like Victoria, even though she's monstrous. The scene of her injecting her daughter was hard to watch, for how non-visceral it was.

Man, the Prime app on my TV still sucks at buffering, which sucks double because the image quality is far better than if I watch it in a browser window. Every time I start an episode, it goes at like 3fps and often freezes on a frame while the sound continues, and I have to restart the episode to get normal playback. Netflix had this poo poo figured out years ago, but I bet my TV's version of the app doesn't get updates anymore.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think what’s gonna happen is Homelander is either gonna force Starlight to do sex stuff at Herogasm OR he’s gonna just break into her apartment in the 7 tower and force Hew and Starlight to gently caress in front of him

settle down Bust Rodd

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wonder if there is any rhyme or reason to how people get powers beyond "whatever seems coolest for the plot". I was thinking that maybe it's a subconscious thing. Butcher hates Homelander, and he ends up getting Homelander's powers when he's dosed with temp V. But then I don't know why Hughie would get teleportation, unless he subconsciously desires to teleport away from things. Maybe it's just based on genetic traits.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wheeee posted:

No. They'd be injecting officers. Because much like a fighter jet, you only trust that kind of power to nobles.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Cojawfee posted:

I was thinking that maybe it's a subconscious thing. Butcher hates Homelander, and he ends up getting Homelander's powers when he's dosed with temp V. But then I don't know why Hughie would get teleportation, unless he subconsciously desires to teleport away from things. Maybe it's just based on genetic traits.

I do think it's this. Teleportation powers are basically just speedster-like, take the Nightcrawler attack on the White House from X-Men 2 you could do a similar looking fight with the speed powers. So I still think it's a parallel to A-Train.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Season 3 ending with The Boys version of The Snap and Season 4 dealing with the entire world vs a snapped Homelander and killing him makes every bit of sense. You don't want that to be anticlimactic and there's plenty of 3rd act MacBeth scene chewing Starr can do.

Also, besides this Amazon doesn't really have a break out hit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
nobody has mentioned it yet but I don't think its an accident that Butcher got almost the same powerset as Homelander, the only thing he hasn't used yet is flight which might just be because Butcher hasn't thought to try yet\

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Also, besides this Amazon doesn't really have a break out hit.

Bosch, Reacher, Mrs. Maisel

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

nobody has mentioned it yet but I don't think its an accident that Butcher got almost the same powerset as Homelander, the only thing he hasn't used yet is flight which might just be because Butcher hasn't thought to try yet\

Also, flying when you've got an unpredictable power is a very bad idea.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Imo they seem to be two sides of the same coin. They share powers, a lover, and basically a son. Both of them are willing to engage in heinous acts to pursue their goals. The more interesting part for me is where they differ.

Homelander is fundamentally incapable of making friends. He is so viscerally repulsive that even his own son hates him. Meanwhile, Butcher is a pretty likable guy. He'll put you through hell, but there are plenty of people who would go to bat for him including that same child and his mother.

Now, you could take all this and claim that the only difference is that Homelander is a god and butcher isn't, that the power has shaped who they are and if Butcher were to have the power Homelander had he'd act in the exact same way. I don't think it's as simple as that, though.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

zoux posted:

Bosch, Reacher, Mrs. Maisel

Also Wheel of Time. And I’m sure the new Lord of the Rings show will be popular. Not to mention old episodes of the cultural lynchpin that is Psych!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I never actually saw the pepsi ad until now it's pretty astonishing to realize this wasn't a joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJCcnkqnjqU

i loved the cheers when the cop drank the pesi. everyone so loving pumped YES HE DRANK THE BEPIS THE PEPSI HAS BEEN DRANKED

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol that the Pepsi ad also had a march so generalized their signs say "peace" and "join the conversation". Just barely political

I didn't realize it was so 1-to-1. I assumed The Boys were cranking the parody up, but nope

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm anti-peace but pro-conversation so i don't know where to drink my pepsi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Bust Rodd posted:

when homelander said she was a deep sleeper, seemed like he was implying he comes in and does stuff to her, probably just reading into things though.