Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsG0DYF1yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sweet Chunner combo Max showed off during his earlier stream today :allears:

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/1536140522363813889

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I can't trust any man

I do like watching Jwong and JMcrofts, though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Chilldog is a goon, though I don't think he's actually hung out here in some time

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

teagone posted:

Max's streams are super crispy compared to most others, but yeah he's paying out the rear end for that fiber connection lol.

Can't he write that off for tax purposes as a big, big rear end work expense though? Sounds like a potential pro-gamer move. :monocle:

I don't mind Max. I sometimes wish he talked more about fg strategies and philosophy (because he's one of The Killers in these games and has the passion, but also exists outside the competitive bubble and isn't chasing any of that particular 'I got gud' clout which I think is actually kinda rare in that space). There's plenty who do that though. The community shits on online warriors sometimes, but he's Online Warrior Supreme and is very similar to the rest of us who just kinda quietly grind these out for our own personal satisfaction without looking for glory and trophies and stuff. He reminds me, as a person who is also pretty darn good at this genre, to not adopt the salty, toxic, overcompetitive mindset that usually accompanies the grind and to keep it fun and light :kiddo:

VTrigger into Edit:

JWongg is pretty relaxed and untoxic too, which I'm sure helped his dominance in the golden age. I was totally shocked to find out he was so chill in such a pressure cooker genre when others around the community are starting to go 'pop' mentally. Avoiding the salt helps your game.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 13, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

only bad thing about jwong is that his editors reuse the same audio jokes in every video until they've beaten the horse so thoroughly its skeleton is pulverized

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Jazerus posted:

only bad thing about jwong is that his editors reuse the same audio jokes in every video until they've beaten the horse so thoroughly its skeleton is pulverized

Sure! But he's one of the OGs though, so the youtube jokes come across more as endearing dad joke energy to me.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

So for someone who's just dipping their toes into some fightcade/SFV basics while I wait for SF6, just how awful is the Hori fight stick mini if I want to see what a stick is all about? I'd probably be better off holding off for something better, right?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Don't get a mini stick. A Qanba drone or another entry level stick like that is a good alternative.

I remember someone was working on a stick thread...

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

dhamster posted:

Don't get a mini stick. A Qanba drone or another entry level stick like that is a good alternative.

I remember someone was working on a stick thread...

You mean this one?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004058

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I've played on a Hori Mini. I mean...it works. I found it awkward though, very cramped and you can't really have it in your lap because it's too small to lay across your legs so you have to have it on one leg or the other. And I'm not a particularly large person so if you're much bigger I assume it will be even more awkward.

I think it might also be some weird non-standard parts to it so you might not be able to make many/any modifications (at least easily)

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 13, 2022

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm pretty cold on Jwong and all the old guard big FGC people because there's no way they didn't know the Mr Wiz poo poo was going on and they still never said anything to call it out when it was happening and were extremely quiet when it all came to light.

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Boogalo posted:

I'm pretty cold on Jwong and all the old guard big FGC people because there's no way they didn't know the Mr Wiz poo poo was going on and they still never said anything to call it out when it was happening and were extremely quiet when it all came to light.
People called out Mr. Wiz being a giant piece of poo poo for decades. It just took until the pressure cooker of that pandemic summer to make the internet decide to get the pitchforks out

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The main thing I know about Justin Wong is that he's a remarkably good sport about being the victim of the greatest single moment in all of fighting games.

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/1534279029645144064

In terms of other fighting game content creator types, I recommend PNDK&M; they're focused almost entirely on Mortal Kombat, but their videos on the competitive history of the games are really neat, and they generally have a really good idea of where the interesting parts of the subject are.

My only problem with them is that there's two people behind the channel, and fitting of being Sektor and Cyrax mains it is drat near impossible to tell them apart.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cleretic posted:

The main thing I know about Justin Wong is that he's a remarkably good sport about being the victim of the greatest single moment in all of fighting games.

In terms of other fighting game content creator types, I recommend PNDK&M; they're focused almost entirely on Mortal Kombat, but their videos on the competitive history of the games are really neat, and they generally have a really good idea of where the interesting parts of the subject are.

My only problem with them is that there's two people behind the channel, and fitting of being Sektor and Cyrax mains it is drat near impossible to tell them apart.

I saw mustard at combo breaker. It was easy to tell who he was bc he was wearing yellow and had a giant MUSTARD patch on his backpack

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Cleretic posted:

Didn't he end up winning the Evo moment #37 set anyway, he just got blasted by a then-thought-impossible tech? I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that people that know Evo moment #37, but don't necessarily know Justin Wong, or they know Justin Wong, and know he's the real deal, just got hit hard at that moment.

But yeah, Justin's great, even if his editor and/or channel manager make cringey titles, thumbnails, and edits.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I mean, they are twins. I think Mustard lets his hair out while Ketchup ties it back.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Didn't he end up winning the Evo moment #37 set anyway, he just got blasted by a then-thought-impossible tech?

I think the story goes that you can faintly hear floe in the crowd going "don't do it, noooo" because he saw daigo pull off the full parry in casuals

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/1535712548435030016

This kinda makes the shimmy/throw spam of SF5 less viable. If you get tech'd you give them space to get out of the corner.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thegurafighter/status/1535350918908153863

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Didn't he end up winning the Evo moment #37 set anyway, he just got blasted by a then-thought-impossible tech? I'm sure it also doesn't hurt that people that know Evo moment #37, but don't necessarily know Justin Wong, or they know Justin Wong, and know he's the real deal, just got hit hard at that moment.

But yeah, Justin's great, even if his editor and/or channel manager make cringey titles, thumbnails, and edits.

Daigo won the set (losers final) and was 2nd overall. Wong was 3rd.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Didn't he end up winning the Evo moment #37 set anyway, he just got blasted by a then-thought-impossible tech?
Justin lost that set to Daigo, which was losers final. Daigo then lost to KO in grand finals

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hey, alright! Didn't know it was up

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

DiscoJ posted:

Daigo won the set (losers final) and was 2nd overall. Wong was 3rd.

iPodschun posted:

Justin lost that set to Daigo, which was losers final. Daigo then lost to KO in grand finals
Ah okay, I misremembered, thanks.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

iPodschun posted:

No one ever talks about the person who won that tournament. Who are they? What are they doing now?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Justin did win the next round after moment 37, so even if he ultimately lost the set he wasn't completely shook by being absolutely styled on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Saoshyant posted:

No one ever talks about the person who won that tournament. Who are they? What are they doing now?

KO was and still is one of the best Yun/Yangs in the world, dude is doing just fine

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dunno how SFVI is gonna feel to play but after watching a couple hours of clips it's already really fun to watch

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Dishwasher posted:

I don't mind Max. I sometimes wish he talked more about fg strategies and philosophy (because he's one of The Killers in these games and has the passion, but also exists outside the competitive bubble and isn't chasing any of that particular 'I got gud' clout which I think is actually kinda rare in that space).

Not that I disagree with your general take on Max, but he isn't a particularly good player in the scope of the competitive landscape. He's probably better than most of his audience, who seems to mostly be people who don't play fighting games or have a passing casual interest in them, but I think he probably wouldn't have much to offer in the way of higher level competitive content, especially to an audience who probably doesn't care about that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

So for someone who's just dipping their toes into some fightcade/SFV basics while I wait for SF6, just how awful is the Hori fight stick mini if I want to see what a stick is all about? I'd probably be better off holding off for something better, right?

The absolute lowest you should go is a qanba drone, which frequently goes on sale

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

canoshiz posted:

Not that I disagree with your general take on Max, but he isn't a particularly good player in the scope of the competitive landscape. He's probably better than most of his audience, who seems to mostly be people who don't play fighting games or have a passing casual interest in them, but I think he probably wouldn't have much to offer in the way of higher level competitive content, especially to an audience who probably doesn't care about that.

He went on like 4-5 rants that he's dogshit at being an elite player during the Strive peak to his audience, because people thought Celestial=elite at the time. He's been extremely transparent that he has no interest at all in the tournament scene, and focuses more on what "normies" want because they ultimately make up 90% of any FGC game.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

morestuff posted:

Dunno how SFVI is gonna feel to play but after watching a couple hours of clips it's already really fun to watch

It looks super stylish and fun to watch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its good that hes there to play games early and talk about them because general gaming sites have no idea what they are looking at on screen and its just embarrassing and a waste of time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It probably helps that he has a fantastic record of winning tournaments for various fighting games and he's a super respected player so he's not just known for getting blown up one time. Although, from what I've seen from his streams and podcasts he's been on, he's a pretty chill guy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also when video games are how you make your living you gotta be cool with being the "clowned on guy" if it means getting paid and having your brand out there.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tae posted:

He went on like 4-5 rants that he's dogshit at being an elite player during the Strive peak to his audience, because people thought Celestial=elite at the time. He's been extremely transparent that he has no interest at all in the tournament scene, and focuses more on what "normies" want because they ultimately make up 90% of any FGC game.

He was apparently good at 3Strike where he played in many local tournaments. Max is better than 99% of people who play fighting games and he is good at talking so its interesting to hear his opinion on the fighting games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Also when video games are how you make your living you gotta be cool with being the "clowned on guy" if it means getting paid and having your brand out there.

He still plays a lot of Third Strike online, I think through Fightcade. Funnily, he more or less exclusively plays Chun-Li and puts himself in near-identical situations as EVO Moment 37.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJbFApdok9c

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I like Max but it's hard to watch him play Arcsys games when I'm a better player then him at them.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

When I was following all the pre release stuff for DBFZ they had an exhibition after one of the betas and they pit SonicFox against the d00d and it was really funny to see the gulf between them. Poor Max didn't stand a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

morestuff posted:

Yeah. I managed to stay interested in the footage for the entirety of Max's youtube video, all 2+ hours of it, even with him pausing and yelling and whatnot.

I have a slight concern which might be baseless, which is that the overwhelming focus on the Drive stuff might make it difficult to have really distinct character archetypes, but I guess we'll see when they show off Guile and Cammy.