Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Oh fun fact that Mayim drove out of my brain: I actually know middle podium contestant. He's a really good friend of one of my college roommates.

And he's as delightful as he seems on this episode. Best FJ response in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This new champion is weird. Ran away tho.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Here in Minneapolis Jeopardy airs right before the local news, and during the mid-episode commercial break yesterday they advertised an interview with Eric (since he's from here) they were going to air at 5:00 and it made it really obvious he was going to win

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

if anyone missed it due to airing the wrong one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMhw9kvous

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Holy poo poo, another 'texting abbreviations' category where not a single loving one of them is anything that anybody actually uses. Every time.

Also, what a terrible FJ. I also went with Handmaid's Tale and was actually pretty confident it was correct. I guess Canterbury Tales isn't poetry so shame on me, but... who the hell cares about some crappy Dan Brown book that isn't even one of the big two?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Orzo posted:

Holy poo poo, another 'texting abbreviations' category where not a single loving one of them is anything that anybody actually uses. Every time.

Also, what a terrible FJ. I also went with Handmaid's Tale and was actually pretty confident it was correct. I guess Canterbury Tales isn't poetry so shame on me, but... who the hell cares about some crappy Dan Brown book that isn't even one of the big two?

Canterbury Tales is poetry, but it would have been six hundred years prior, not seven. And Handmaid's was published in the '80s, so I knew it wasn't that.

But calling what Dan Brown does "writing" is a stretch, so the answer didn't occur to me at all.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I was on the right track but I guessed Angels and Demons thinking that might a section of Dante's Inferno, because I forgot that the actual answer was another book in the series. Embarrassing to miss it when I had the right idea

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Orzo posted:

The clue also specified that it shares its title with the first lines of a poem, not that they share a title (not that there is a Handmaid's Tale in Chaucer), aside from the year others pointed out as being off.

I didn't get it myself because even for Dan Brown that book was a wet fart that was where a lot of the people unironically enjoying his other books finally paused to wonder if he was a hack, who were finally left with zero remaining doubt when he published Origin a while later; I forgot it even existed and when I saw "bestseller" my mind was combing through books that weren't crap.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They also used basically this exact frame for FJ like two weeks ago with a Farewell to Arms -- name a relatively recent book that shares a title with an old-rear end poem. I'd be annoyed by that even if they were looking for a book that wasn't completely culturally irrelevant

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Do you think they save up the ridiculously easy FJ’s for runaway games?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Would very much like to meet the one person on earth who watches Jeopardy and needed the Boston Tea Party explained to them, but the good news is she already hosts the show

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m watching yesterdays episode. I got Inferno since I narrowed it down to either Canterbury Tales or The Divine Comedy. Then I went “Paradiso - no - Purgatorio - No - Inferno… yeah that’s that Dan Brown book where they totally changed the ending for the movie lol”

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I was on the right track but I guessed Angels and Demons thinking that might a section of Dante's Inferno, because I forgot that the actual answer was another book in the series. Embarrassing to miss it when I had the right idea

:same:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Would very much like to meet the one person on earth who watches Jeopardy and needed the Boston Tea Party explained to them, but the good news is she already hosts the show

She Wiki'd it during the FJ song

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Tonight felt like Mayim was somehow even causing long pauses between reading the clue and contestants buzzing in. Also, lol at her restating "flagrant foul" because the guy said it in a northern accent.

Also also, I was in my kitchen when a clue started, "This music legend..." and immediately said, "Quincy Jones!" :smuggo:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Seriously, if you hear American History and 1773, how can you think of anything other than the Boston Tea Party?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well, maybe you don't know that it was when a group of colonists dressed up as Native Americans and threw boxes of tea overboard to protest high taxes??

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The original false flag imo

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the jeopcoin category redeemed that terrible episode, lmao

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Holy poo poo a full category dedicated to infomercializing their cryptocurrency. Gross.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Eatons Neck claim to fame as the clue in Final. Neat.

In other Long Island in Jeopardy news (a niche category to be sure), the Nassau legislature representative who has Uniondale is complaining that Museum Row is not actually in Garden City and that the show is wrong.

https://www.longislandpress.com/2022/06/08/jeopardy-clue-incorrectly-places-long-islands-museum-row-stirring-up-years-old-controversy/

Seriously, does she think Jeopardy spent more than a few seconds on Google Maps looking up the addresses before writing it? No one thinks about Uniondale except for the Coliseum & Islanders pre moves and Busta Rhymes

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The Sean posted:

Holy poo poo a full category dedicated to infomercializing their cryptocurrency. Gross.

It's not real though, and they seemed to be making fun of crypto if anything :confused:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's not real though, and they seemed to be making fun of crypto if anything :confused:

explaining is endorsing

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I am quoting you as a foundation but most of my response is going to be about J! I am not coming at you.

It wasn't obvious that it was a joke. Our current host sells scammy brain pills and Mike Richards is an exploitive rear end in a top hat so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually minted their own coin.

As well, none of the clues were funny and did not seem to be obvious jokes (outside of crypto being a joke). If it was a good category they would have criticized crypto instead of endorsing it. Talking about stuff like stablecoin endorses that it is a safe investment. The "clean crypto" also puts crypto in a good light without educating people on why crypto is terrible for the environment. No critique, only justifications for the commodity.

If I recall correctly there was no disclaimer that it was not real. If anything, they leaned into the theme. "That's our exclusive Jeopardy! cryptocurrency" and so forth. I can already imagine how many olds (and others) will be scammed into buying fake jeopcoin from predators and feel confident because the show described it as real. Additionally so for what I've described above. People might also think that crypto overall is legitimate based on this.

"Joke" (in the conservative sort of "joke" in which the response is "you didn't know I was just joking despite no clues" backpedaling) or not, J! really hosed this one up.

edit:
Here are US politicians promoting crytpo for retirement investments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqK1MCdaBsU&t=199s

edit2:
vvvvvvvv yeah, that's why I don't like that they used that since "stable" infers, well, stability and not is not present. I should have added that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 10, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Sean posted:

Talking about stuff like stablecoin endorses that it is a safe investment.

"Stable"coin just had a massive drop in value, didn't it? Impeccable timing on Jeopardy writers' parts.

You're right that they framed crypto a lot more approvingly than they should have given...everything about it. I know the show has to grow with the times but I'm not a super big fan of Jeopardy wading into contemporary pop culture. It comes off like your mom trying to be hip.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

You raise some good points. I definitely rolled my eyes at it, and I thought the name "jeopcoin" veered uncomfortably close to a certain racial slur for Romani people.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cognac McCarthy posted:

You raise some good points. I definitely rolled my eyes at it, and I thought the name "jeopcoin" veered uncomfortably close to a certain racial slur for Romani people.

I had that same thought. I thought Miyam was saying the slur for a moment before I saw the category name.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 10, 2022

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Consider me uneducated because I don't know what you're both referring to. Is there some word for the Romani that sounds like 'jeopcoin'? I only know the word that most people know.

Edit: Now it occurs to me that you probably just mean the first syllable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
(catching up) Music can soothe the savage… breast? I always thought it was “beast”. Did I just get berenstained?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

haveblue posted:

(catching up) Music can soothe the savage… breast? I always thought it was “beast”. Did I just get berenstained?

People have definitely repeated soothe the savage beast for a long time. Maybe everyone has been mondegreened, or malapropped.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

the gently caress? its always been Beast. Never heard the other version.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
According to Google "breast" was the original version from The Mourning Bride, a 1697 poem by William Congreve:

quote:

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.

So there you go :shrug:

E: although hang on, apparently the Latin epic poem Pharsalia was translated into English by Thomas May in the 1620s and contained this:

quote:

...Whose charming voice and matchless musick mov'd
The savage beasts, the stones, and senseless trees,

So Congreve seems to have coined the phrase itself but not hard to see how things got changed around.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

haveblue posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Uranus???

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So it’s been two additional super champs since I asked if we were now in the age of the super champ.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

The two challengers today looked awfully upset. Like someone had told them their parents had died right before filming started

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Who is Mick Jagger might be the funniest wrong answer I've ever seen, holy poo poo

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mick Jagger

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Descendants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Amy Schneider threw out the first pitch at the SF Giants' Pride Day game on Saturday

... except the Fox broadcast showed Kurt Busch throwing out the first pitch (which happened on Thursday?!?!) and made no mention of Amy.

https://www.knbr.com/2022/06/13/duane-kuiper-calls-out-fox-for-implying-that-amy-schneider-didnt-throw-out-first-pitch-on-pride-night/