Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
I second that :wtc: about Ulania. Granted, I never saw translations of the artbook so I'd just assumed she was in her early 20's and not 16, plus I don't think character ages get referenced enough times in game that you need to count on more than one hand.

I do wonder what the director was telling the artist for some of these character designs, though. I like quite a few of them, but others are... Certainly Something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

AweStriker posted:

Performaps? Zoodiac? No, what we really need to fear Yuko getting is Splights

This recontextualizes the whole game for me now. I get it, we're dealing with a timeline where we're desperately trying to reinstate Dragon Rulers format in order to prevent an imminent Tier Zero True King of All Calamities format since this timeline never banned it.

Also, no side sets? I guess Duelists won't get things like Halqifibrax+Linkross/Auroradon combos; Sky Strikers, Eldlich, or Drytron; or even the mighty Staple cities like Duel Devastator!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know I always thought that Duelist's mechanics could be something you could build an entire game around. Every party member has their own deck, focus, and elemental cards they can draw/use, so you could have someone who uses a "Necromancy" deck where the cards are like, Bone, Blood and Soul, or a "Druid" deck where it's Life, Animal, and Plant.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Junpei posted:

You know I always thought that Duelist's mechanics could be something you could build an entire game around. Every party member has their own deck, focus, and elemental cards they can draw/use, so you could have someone who uses a "Necromancy" deck where the cards are like, Bone, Blood and Soul, or a "Druid" deck where it's Life, Animal, and Plant.

That's essentially a party-based deck builder game, like Slay the Spire if you played as all the characters at once. I think some exist, but I don't think any have really made much of a splash yet.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Junpei posted:

Baten Kaitos says hi~

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update VII - Featuring: No Dragons

Music: Atlantica - The Emerald Afterglow

The quake finally stops.

C'mon, just respond if you can hear me!

Oh, I finally got through. *sigh* That had me worried... Allie would totally wring my neck if I let you guys die on your first mission...

As we speak, Nyala is on the verge of bringing Atlantis to its end.

...We're here to deal with him?

Nyala, the guy who was on Earth 80 years ago? You had to send us back 13,000 years for that?

Also, Niara being translated as Nyala makes me think of a cat.

Nyaa~

In other words, the people of Atlantis lost their battle against it. Although Earth is still intact, so maybe it would be better to say it was a tie. Nyala was even wounded when it showed up in 2020. That must've been the work of the Lucier.

Your mission's gonna be to figure out how to get your hands on that. Understand?

...That's the reason why you don't have a Nyala sample? Because of the severed wing?

That makes zero god drat sense! That'd be like if Ancestry couldn't run a DNA test on someone just because they lost an arm in a tragic mining accident! How picky is the Dragon Chronicle when that disqualifies a sample, but it was perfectly okay with Murakumo Unit 13 beating Fomalhaut to death, because I'm pretty drat sure that he didn't count as 'uninjured' after they finished with him!

Try hunting down three dragons. That'll give you some training, and even a few materials as well.

You can go back to Tokyo whenever you want from here. I'll even put some relay points around the city. Then with that... Oh, wait! I forgot about this. I've got something to give you before you head off into the great unknown. I'll send over the manual. I'm sure it'll be tough for idiots like you, but give it a read.

Field Skills are just like the 2020s. Hit Y, get 9 free heals with every dungeon dive.

For the time being, you can use the Medical Floor for that. I'll let Hori know. You're gonna need to use every little thing at your disposal if you wanna stay alive. Stubbornness is just gonna get you killed quicker... Eeheehee...

With that, we finally have control.

Now, you know how most time travel stories put at least a token effort into not messing around too hard with the timeline?

Strange-Eared Man: People have been on edge lately. They'll all direct their anger towards you foreigners.

Yeah, Opal is ignoring that and is chatting up every soul she sees.

Strange-Eared Lady: I know you just arrived, but this country is doomed. You should return home before you get hurt.

Also, there was no mention of translator microbes or any sci-fi stuff like that, so presumably ancient Atlantean is identical to modern Japanese.

Despite being in the tail end of the dragon invasion, we actually have to go a good distance to find normal enemies, let alone an actual dragon.

Guard: The civilian populace is up in arms thanks to that dragon. Try to avoid any major conflict.

Restless Merchant: Both my business and my life are over... but one must never leave a mess behind.

Calm Civil Official: That is the only option that remains for us...

No wonder Atlantis got wiped off the map, they're just rolling over and taking it.

At the end of the area are two guards.

Stern Captain: Those clothes... You are not one of us. What reason does a foreigner have for coming here?

Opal isn't even trying to keep a low profile!

I'm here to kill Nyala.

Stern Captain: Kill Nyala? Hahaha! What utter foolishness!

~

I'm here to save this country.

Stern Captain: A foreigner thinks they can save this proud kingdom when its own guards cannot? How arrogant!

~~

Stern Captain: In honor of the former king Utrello, we proudly await our end. You foreigners must leave. Although... your insolence cannot be overlooked. I shall turn you into shark bait!

Yep.

Unit 13 was sent here to hunt dragons, and not even five minutes later they get into a fight with the locals.

Music: Battlefield - Atlantis

Well if they want to volunteer as punching bags...

I certainly won't stop them!

Counter Stance draws hits, same as 2020.

Unlike 2020, the whole fang/claw/breath system for attacks have been scrapped. God Hands get one counter for attacks, and one for ailments, that's it.

Compared to the single sword's Whirlwind, Cyclone Dance deals half damage but has twice as many hits to compensate.

This also means that Whirlwind is completely obsolete for dealing with Bloom Seeds, which was the main use case it had.

Field: VolcanoMolten Destruction is good.

And remember, this would boost X BurnFinal Flame by a ton if I combo'd them together!

Music: Finish Them Off

I'm sure beating up what few guards Atlantis has left will endear us to the populace.

And that's not getting into the fact that anyone these guards would have saved in the original timeline are now super boned.

Eeheehee... You gotta be mindful of your actions. You guys are basically heretics around here. But I guess there's not much reason to worry. The soldiers that are left are all super weak. Now then, let's get back to our search.

~

Guard: Y-You're so strong... Just who are you...?

Strangely enough, the camera shifts to this angle when we approach the door.

You'd think that the angle and the ornate crystals above it means we're meant to enter, but no. We will never find out what's behind this door.

Enemies finally show up in the next area.

We got...

Blossoms and Helm Crabs. Blossoms can hit you with stat debuffs, and Helm Crabs can hit the party.

There's a heal spot here.

And some loot just beyond.

Oh no, a monster is harassing a local!

Opal cannot let this stand!

The enemy is just two crabs.

Since there's a heal spot just 10 feet back, I just hit the Auto button, and Inoue ended up dying as a result.

But that just lets me bring up an important point:

In VFD, dead party members get full rewards. If I didn't slap that EXP Upper on Yuno, these three would remain perfectly synced for the entire game. This lets you go with much more aggressive strategies without having to worry about someone getting taken down on the final turn and getting nothing.

I always find it funny when normal human features get treated as exotic in fantasy settings.

???: Milra! Milra!

Milra: Oh, that's my grandmother! Heyyy!

Milra: This nice person saved me!

Milra's Grandmother: You did...? Even Atlantica guards have trouble handling these monsters. Just who are you...?

I'm researching Nyala.

Milra's Grandmother: Are you perhaps planning on hunting it...?

*nods*

Milra: Woahhh, that's incredible!

~

Can you tell me about this place?

Milra's Grandmother: Do you mean... Atlantis?

~~

Milra: So like, Atlantis used to be suuuper big, but then when Nyala showed up, most of it sank to the—

Milra's Grandmother: Milra, quiet down.

Milra: I...

Milra's Grandmother: ... This place is too dangerous for you, Milra. It would be best if you return home.

Milra: Ok...

Milra's Grandmother: This country's fate has already been decided, so I guess there can be no harm in enlightening you... Eleven wards have already fallen due to Nyala's invasion. Only a few remain intact... Our former king Utrello and the Atlantis elites attempted to fend off Nyala... but none returned. Many citizens have died since to the poisonous flowers... Our demise is fast approaching. But before that happens, our consul Tallieri will carry out his final plan...

Nyala effortlessly killed the best warriors Atlantis had to offer.

Again, we were sent here to fight Nyala.

That's probably how Nyala lost his wing.

Also, this puts us on a time limit to deal with Nyala before the city gets sunk.

I repeat: We are on a time limit. When we have a time machine.

Milra's Grandmother: All that is left for the people of this land is to come to peace with their inevitable end. Please, refrain from disturbing our kingdom any further.

Opal will disturb your kingdom as much as she drat well pleases.

Suicide is quite the interesting plan. They'd never beat Nyala through military might alone.

Opal 7thdragon: Gives even fewer shits about the timeline than Julietta.

We can't let them kill themselves.

More importantly, we can't let them take Nyala from us. We're gonna need that specimen.

~

Let's help the Lucier.

What we need is the specimen from Nyala. Nothing else matters. What's the point in saving these moldy guys, anyways? I thought you wanted to help people in UE 77.

~~

*sigh* Nothing I say is gonna matter, huh... Just try not to forget about your mission. C'mon, let's get moving. There are more dragons ahead.

These Spiral Cannons are the second last normal enemy type in the area.

Now.

You may be noticing a distinct lack of something.

Namely: Dragons. On this mission to specifically murder some dragons.

For whatever reason, Atlantica just... backloads their dragons.

By which I mean all of them are at the very end, all in the same area.

VFD's pacing can be absolutely bizarre at times.

A new symbol is on our map.

Just like 2020, we have a game-spanning sidequest to rescue people.

Huh, some kid got left behind.

Well-Bred Boy: Where are you...? *gasp* I'm... already... *gasp*

The Dragonsbane's got him. He's not gonna last much longer. Leave him.

Take a guess what Opal's response is.

Go on, guess.

*shakes head*

This is pointless! There's no medical technology in that era that can help him!

Oh, Nagamimi said the magic words!

Now Opal knows he can be helped!

Please, Almighty Nagamimi!

C'mon, what's all this about!? Praising me isn't gonna— *sigh* Don't gimme that face. I guess it's not impossible...

~

What about modern technology?

Modern...? Wait, don't tell me you wanna bring him back to Tokyo!?

*nods*

~~

Sure, the Nodens medical team can treat minor cases of Dragonsbane poison, but... Julietta has strictly prohibited rescuing people from other time periods. My paws are tied.

*hangs head*

*sigh* Fiiine, you can bring him back for emergency treatment. Discreetly! This isn't a show of mercy, I'll have you know. That kid seems pretty well-bred. Mmm, he looks quite tasty... There's a good bit of fat on him...

C'mon, it was a joke! I'm offended you thought I was serious. Just hurry up and save him before I change my mind.

This also kills most of the threat the dragons pose to us.

What can a dragon, even a True Dragon, do when our base is in another time period? Nyala himself could drop in on us right now and all we'd have to do is pop an Escape Kit and there's literally nothing he could do to us. Having a completely unassailable safe place kills any tension that the dragons could start targeting home.

Also, unlike the 2020s that kid isn't going to show up in Nodens proper, on account of the whole keeping it hush hush thing.

At least until Opal inevitably convinces Julietta to allow it. You know it'll happen, you saw how many empty floors Nodens has! There's more than enough space to take in the Atlanteans!

Atlantica has a few homes we can poke into.

I'd like to mention that there are monsters in the house.

The formations inside are actually scarier than the ones outside, too!

I finally remember to use Inoue's other new move.

A tag team with Yuno would be nice, but pulling two Fire cards with a starting hand of two is understandably rare.

Of course Atlantis has teleporters.

Next time: Unit 13's first dragons.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 12, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It is very funny witnessing this game go completely the opposite direction of most other time travel stories, and have the protagonist not give a gently caress about "preserving the timelines." They just straight up pick a fight with the locals as one of the first things they do.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Araxxor posted:

It is very funny witnessing this game go completely the opposite direction of most other time travel stories, and have the protagonist not give a gently caress about "preserving the timelines." They just straight up pick a fight with the locals as one of the first things they do.

This is especially jarring when the obvious reason they couldn't go back to 2020 for the Nyala sample would be, "it's too great a risk of time paradox to interfere with relatively recent events". The Atlantis thing could even have ended up being a case of "the civilization collapsed anyway because the dragons did too much damage, time wants to happen, wibbly-wobbly, blah blah blah", which is what a lot of time travel stories pull to make excuses for how the protagonists' interference doesn't gently caress up the timeline. I don't remember much of VFD's story, because it wasn't very good, so that may actually be what happens, but I think I'd remember it better if it actually took the time to make some kind of sense, so I doubt it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update VIII - Featuring: Royalty

Right off the bat, we can see a heal spot and someone in need of rescuing.

So I go to grab them.

But first:

This Spiral Cannon buffed itself up.

Which gives him the same health bar Spectus had.

I'm sure the game will tell us what it means eventually.

Oh look, loot!

However, I ended up running out of uses on First Aid (S), and I am nothing if not a stingy bastard.

Plus there were some spots I didn't check in Nodens before getting sent here, so I still need to visit them.

Music: UE77 Tokyo

Oh, and Atlantica has 5 dragons in total, which is utterly pitiful.

Like, I think the first dungeon in 2020 had at least twice that, and they started showing up early in.

The top screen map also changes to match whatever time period you're pointing at.

Music: The Daily Grind

~

Kino: Are you Unit 13? I heard you've been secretly saving people that you find out in the dungeons. Such lifesaving efforts are truly wonderful! I fully support you from the bottom of my heart! Honestly, we're short on manpower. It's been months since I've gone home at a regular time... Hence, any and all newcomers are welcome! They'll take a huge load off our shoulders here. Anyways, do you think you guys could keep rescuing people you find in the dungeons?

Wow, it's almost as if you can't sneak someone through a time portal where there's only one way in or out!

Not even the employees assigned to watch the Portal give a poo poo about the timeline!

Kino: Thanks in advance!

The 2020s gave out rewards for every 15 people rescued, so even the reward intervals have been buffed.

There were two other doors on the Portal Floor.

They both lead to this giant storage room.

There's no one in here, just a bunch of boxes.

I make a quick stop to Medical to restock my field skills.

Music: Let's Get to Work!!

And we got enough cash to prop-ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU-erly outfit ourselves.

I'll di-ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU-p into that star-ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU-ting 10K later.

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU

The downside to consolodating all the shops together is that I'm forced to listen to that every time I need to buy something.

This has to do with the fact that we can't alter our coordinates once— Hm, I think I'm boring you~.

Gotta get back.

Back to the past.

Samurai JackInoue.

But since we haven't found any access points, I have to run all the way back to where I was.

Our damage is much nicer, at least.

Here we are.

And there's that chest from before.

The exit is on the top left.

But there's a chest on the other side of the area.

And another house.

You know what can show up inside a house?

A formation of four Helm Crabs.

I'm fairly sure they could wipe a party in early gear if they all decided to use their AOE move on the same turn.

On the way to the exit, we meet the final normal enemy in Atlantica. The Screw Shark can use a powerful single target move that also inflicts Bleed.

This puts us at, what, 6 people in one dungeon? We'll have that first reward in no time.

Oh look, layered paths!

Talkative Scholar: Now did my encounter with you young foreigners happen by chance? Or was it fate...?

And just past her is a heal spot and a access point.

Oh look, an actual dragon! On this dedicated dragon hunting expedition!

We only had to reach the final area of the dungeon to find one, is all!

Wounded Guard: I don't know who's there... but it's all up to you now...

Out of the way, loser, we got a dragon to kill!

The guard must have taken me seriously, as he vanished once the cutscene started.

It's hard to tell exactly from here. Just focus on the dragon for now, OK? It's way stronger than normal monsters. Make sure you're ready before you fight it.

Before warping back in once the cutscene ends.

Music: Battlefield - Furious Predator

Our scheduled dragon fight? Another Wyvern-type.

Did you know that the breath skills are actually good now?

I know, I could hardly believe it myself!

And strangely, the Wyvern still only gets a single move.

Like, why? Double actions are kind of a dragon's whole Thing. Why does a baby dragon in an actual video game get two moves but the real things don't?

Opal finally has an enemy that lasts long enough to hit G2.

Now, Yuno is one of the slower people on the team.

But then why does she go first to heal Opal?

Because in VFD, items have priority. There is zero risk of going to patch someone up only for an enemy to snipe them before you can move.

Ow.

Opal teaches Mr. Wyvern the importance of having at least one HP left.

We got our first Dz! :toot:

Alright, this area should be safe now. Let's continue on.

Hey, Unit 13! Get closer and check it out!

A good chunk of 2020-II was spent trying to get enough orichalcum to make a Dragonslayer, so having a massive hunk of it just floating around is a bit of a mindblower for everyone.

Music: Stops

Oh look, those guys!

Music: Chant for Sanctuary (code:VFD Ver.)

Girl could you get some, like, actual clothes on.

However, we do not have the time to waste on you foreigners. Leave this place, immediately.

Well it looks like someone is having second thoughts.

Opal shakes her head.

...What is the matter?

Let's destroy Nyala together!

Both give the same result.

...!

Such foolishness... There is no need for you to sympathize with those who wish to die. Guards!

Tallieri, wait!

I wish to speak with that one...

Please consider your position, Your Majesty. You are all that remains of the Royal Family.

I am well aware, Tallieri. However, I must...

This is... my final wish. I beg of you...

Even King Utrello was weak to your selfish demands... Very well.

Thank you, Tallieri...

But this is quite different than what I would have expected.

Your country seems strange, too.

Indeed, we seem to be in a similar situation.

~

The world is a vast place.

Indeed, that seems to be the case. However,

~~

I know nothing of the world outside Atlantis...

Opal gestures for a few moments.

You are from... Toe-ki-oh?

I have never heard of such an odd village.

Tokyo is a nice place.

That is wonderful... I adore Atlantis as well.

~

Do you like this country, Ulania?

But of course. I adore Atlantis.

~~

Both the country itself, and the citizens within... I wish you could have seen the true Atlantis. The wealth, the grandeur, the prosperity... The people of Atlantis are born in the sea, and in the sea they shall die. Despite this catastrophe, I still believe this is truly the greatest paradise the world has ever seen. However... the story of Atlantis shall come to a close here. Traveler... The light within you is equal to that of even the strongest Atlantis knight. I am sure that you will lead the world to greatness after this kingdom has fallen.

Don't destroy Atlantis

Tens of thousands of my citizens have disappeared like mere bubbles in the sea. A great duty has been thrust upon the remaining survivors... We must defeat Nyala.

The first option just skips this part and jumps to...

Little time remains... If we miss this opportunity, Nyala will be unleashed upon the outside world. As the prideful ruler of Atlantis, I simply cannot allow that to happen.

...Your Majesty, the time is almost here.

Ulania nods.

In mere months, Nyala has crushed almost all Lucier cities. Atlantica is one of the last. As we speak, that dragon is inhabiting our most sacred land. It is as though it mocks us. It is truly unforgivable. Even if it means the end of this city, Nyala shall perish.

The resolve of the Lucier was set upon the death of my father... the former king Utrello. I do not intend to live on and ignore the sacrifices of my countless fallen subjects. Atlantis is the shining beacon of this world, and Nyala wishes to plunge it into darkness. All that remains for us to do is destroy Nyala, no matter the cost. That is our purpose...

Unit 13 is sad. :(

What the heck's going on? You all look like you just came from a funeral.

*shakes head*

Hey now... Don't overthink this. No matter what we do, Atlantis will fall. There's no point in feeling bad for them.

I know...

Hmph... That's surprisingly reasonable of you.

~

Isn't there anything we can do?

Nope. You're 12,000 years in the past, remember? Did you ever see anything in your textbooks about people with funny ears from a long time ago? No?

*shakes head*

Well, there we go.

~~

Plus, they accept their fate. You have no obligation to help them. Grrrrrr! Stop with the goddamn faces already! You're starting to make even me feel down! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Our objective here is to obtain the Nyala specimen. As long as we get that, we don't have to worry about all these annoying Lucier people. C'mon, let's get going. You still have two more dragons to hunt. Check the map for signals!

But, we only found one and we've completely covered Atlantica, where the hell could we fi-

Where did all these dragons come from?????

Next time: What do you mean there's no chapter boss??????

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 12, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

God I have no idea why they made the volume on that voice clip so loud. Not to mention there's no cooldown on it playing so it quickly becomes a cacophony. I basically just turn off the volume when going shopping because of that.

Items having priority was a VFD addition and absolutely not in any of the earlier games. Using items in VFD is ridiculously safe outside of a few circumstances now.

This Wyvern is oddly enough, somewhat weaker than the White Dragon you fight in the prologue. It has a fire breath attack like the White Dragon, but for some reason, the Wyvern's version can't inflict Burn, but the White Dragon's can.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

BisbyWorl posted:

Fun fact: the game never, ever directly tells you what VFD stands for.

Volunteer Fire Department. It volunteers to start fires.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Not even the employees assigned to watch the Portal give a poo poo about the timeline![/i]

Taking people who were going to die anyway into the future doesn't risk loving up the timeline, so it's fine. What would cause problems is taking people back from the future, and what are the odds of that happening?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Wow, this game coddles the hell out of the player, huh?

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Honestly, I always figured VFD stood for "Very Final Dragon".

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
we're going to have this exact same conversation on every single page aren't we

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

Araxxor posted:

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU! ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

God I have no idea why they made the volume on that voice clip so loud. Not to mention there's no cooldown on it playing so it quickly becomes a cacophony. I basically just turn off the volume when going shopping because of that.

I do the exact same thing just because it's so drat obnoxious.

Also seeing the disparity in random dragon encounters in VFD just compared to when they started popping up in 2020 is... jarring. I never thought much of it since VFD was the first 7th Dragon game I played, but got drat that is abrupt. "Hey get away from our shiny rock!" "Aight-" *turns around* "-wHEN DID MORE DRAGONS GET HERE!?"

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Yes, abandon all hope all ye who enter here

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Solitair posted:

Wow, this game coddles the hell out of the player, huh?

Coddle is nowhere near as strong enough of a word to describe what this game does to the player.

Magnus Ragnar posted:

Also seeing the disparity in random dragon encounters in VFD just compared to when they started popping up in 2020 is... jarring. I never thought much of it since VFD was the first 7th Dragon game I played, but got drat that is abrupt. "Hey get away from our shiny rock!" "Aight-" *turns around* "-wHEN DID MORE DRAGONS GET HERE!?"

To be fair, VFD is a pretty fine game on its own. I doubt most people who only played this game noticed anything wrong or off throughout it barring some odd pacing issues here and there.

It's when you take the knowledge from any of the previous games and how things work there that things start getting very wonky.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Araxxor posted:

Coddle is nowhere near as strong enough of a word to describe what this game does to the player.

What I find to be a perfect intro to VFD Power Creep is humble Paralysis' proc rate.

In 2020, the best you could get was Trickster's Tarantella, which had a measly 18% chance to cancel a move if it sticks.

In 2020-II, Psychics get Frostburn, which has a much higher 45% proc rate at the cost of being a Tier 4 skill.

In VFD?

This is Summon Ltg I.

Yuno started with this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I should note that unlike Etrian Odyssey, the effects of ailments are not unified, and depend on the skill used to inflict them.

Where in EO, the action nullification rate is 50%, it's not actually the case in the 7th Dragon series. Even DS nerfed it a bit, it's lowered down to a 30% action nullification rate in that game, with 2020 nerfing Paralysis further and making it scale with the skill. Enemy Paralysis tends to hover around 33% to 50%, but players never get better than 18% in 2020. This is because for one, unlike in EO, you can stack multiple ailments on the same target, so the lowered rates were to compensate for that.

Incidentally, Frostburn is actually stupidly broken and is the most overpowered skill in that game. The paralysis rate of it is an anomaly, and the null action rate is around 18% in II when discounting Frostburn.

VFD on the other hand goes full monkey brain when it comes to balance and makes Frostburn look balanced in comparison.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Araxxor posted:

To be fair, VFD is a pretty fine game on its own. I doubt most people who only played this game noticed anything wrong or off throughout it barring some odd pacing issues here and there.

It's when you take the knowledge from any of the previous games and how things work there that things start getting very wonky.

Oh yeah, without knowing anything about the previous games beyond tiny details I could scrounge up since naturally I noticed the big ol' roman numeral III in the title and got curious, I had no idea there was such a sharp contrast between it and the games that came before. I still love VFD to death, it's a wonderfully fun game, just seeing it now in comparison to what came before is equal parts astonishing and fascinating.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update IX - Featuring: Government Oversight

Nine updates and a full dungeon later, we finally have some actual on-field dragons to murder.

~

Atlantis Soldier: Begone! I shall not let you scoundrels through!

Unfortunately, the cost of such a thing is the inability to go pester Ulania some more.

But first...

A Bloom Seed!

Sorry, 'Dragonsbane Seed.' They give oodles of SP when killed, but have 999 in both defensive stats and like to run away.

Thanks to having twice the hits of the single sword's Whirlwind, Cyclone Dance absolutely shreds them.

One of the few things to get nerfed in VFD is, surprisingly, chip damage. In the 2020s, any attack that couldn't beat the target's defense would deal a minimum of 1-2 damage. VFD cuts that down to just 1.

Now that's a good haul!

And here's our very first field dragon.

And much like every other game...

Starting a fight from behind gives you a free turn.

As babby's first dragon, the Ancientus finally gives us an enemy with two actions, and can try to hit the entire party with Freeze using Frost Breath.

I just use this free turn to get some hits in.

A surprising number of enemies are weak to aerial-type damage! Between that and Maple Tear's fire, Inoue has the advantage on pretty much every enemy here.

Before it could even move, the Ancientus has lost about a full third of its HP.

And to rub salt in the wound, Yuno manages to stick it with Paralysis.

Which then locks out one move.

Which is far more likely than you would think, considering that Summon Ltg IBolt Penguin has a 30% chance to cancel a move if the paralysis lands. In comparison: paralysis rates in 2020 originally capped out at 18% with Trickster's Tarantella. 2020-II could hit 45% with Psychic's Frostburn, but that was a Tier 4 skill. Yuno starts with this, and the odds will only get better as I level it up.

Welcome to VFD.

Our first actual dragon manages to get in one attack.

Before Opal breaks it in half.

Now, the Ancientus has a good plan going, having low Speed but using Freeze to drop everyone even lower. It's just that Quartetto has priority so Opal's Speed doesn't matter. :v:

I run into the next one in an awkward spot.

But it managed to hit me twice, which is more than the last guy could say.

But look at this! Even a dragon can barely put a dent in us!

Even if a fight did go bad and leave the party near death, there's a heal spot in this area I could easily run back to!

And that makes three.

Hm...? Hold on, I'm getting some kinda weird signal...

Those legs... could it be?

Ah hell, the army is here.

It seems you've already managed to recover. That was quite an impressive battle.

I'm Yuma Kisaragi of the ISDF Far East Special Tactical Force.

Opal wants to hoard the time machine to herself, naturally.

What are you guys doing here?

We asked your boss Allie if we could observe you today. It's incredible how civilization flourished even in the deepest recesses of history.

~

Stay off our turf!

Calm yourself. We've simply come to observe you today. Things may be a little different the next time we meet, though.

~~

To think Doctor Julietta was able to complete the time machine... His intelligence and clever use of Nodens technology is quite admirable indeed.

There seem to be multiple dragon signals in this area apart from that of the True Dragon.

Sounds like the perfect hunting ground.

Understood.

We'll meet again. Next time, in Tokyo.

So, like, why did no one give Nagamimi a heads up on them? They're our Navigator for this mission, you'd think it'd be good to know that someone else is coming in.

Hey, Unit 13! We're done here. Come on back to Nodens.

Now, I could leave.

But there's just two dragons left in the entire dungeon.

I never have to come back here for the main plot either.

So the only thing I would get for leaving is having to come back later to clean up.

And I might as well save myself a trip and do it all now.

And that makes 5 Dz.

And that's the entire dungeon! An entire zone dedicated to a measly five dragons! No boss fight or anything! Quite literally the only thing of import that happened was Unit 13 meeting Ulania!

What the hell is this pacing, VFD!?

Just think, we're 2% of the way to killing every last dragon!

Those guys from ISDF are just stomping through all sorts of restricted areas. This better not be a problem.

Is there something you're hiding?

Our number of law violations are at double—no, triple digits. But that's not what matters.

Well, as long as there's no human rights violations I'm fairly sure you still pull ahead of Murakumo.

~

What, you scared?

It seems you still don't understand how you're supposed to speak to me. Watch yourself at night. If you hear my hop hop hopping, you'd better run!

~~

The real issue is that they've discovered our research into the Dragon Chronicle. They're not gonna stay quiet now that they know we have weapons for more than just self-defense. Worst case scenario, they destroy all our work and close off both the Portal and 7th Encount. Well, no point in floundering around now that they're here. Just go build that Dormitory like we talked about earlier. Talk to Chika at the counter on the Conference Floor, and she'll handle the rest. C'mon, hurry up.

Okay, the Portal I can understand, but why 7th Encount? Sure, Nodens is using it to Last Starfighter people, but that won't matter without a time machine to send them after True Dragons.

We get some quick tutorials when we head up to the counter.

We have a decent chunk of sidequests starting out, but almost all of them are DLC. Seed Outbreak and Gold Rabi Outbreak are the Obligatory Sega Grinding DLC, the Code missions unlock alternate character portraits, To My Beloved Unit 13 is a postgame quest that gives a fourth DLC portrait, and Allie's Death March is a post-postgame boss rush.

I can do that first quest now, but we're here to build stuff. Plus more quests open up tomorrow so I might as well knock them all out at once.

:stare:

I'll give Nodens this, our room is much fancier than Murakumo's Unit 13.

The perks of not working in an apocalypse, I guess.

Eeheehee... Now you have somewhere to sleep at night. When you sleep in your Dormitory bed, your LIFE, MANA, and Field Skills are all fully restored. There's even a Terminal in your room. You can use it if you wanna change up your party composition. Ohhh, I'm getting excited just thinking about it. Come on and show your face in the War Room.

I'm sure that energy bar can't be th-

She didn't lie, that energy bar do be crummy.

Anyways, factory upgrades give a new gear tier.

And some new items.

Let's go check out our new digs before we say hi to the bosses.

Right off the bat, the entry part of the floor has a much different layout.

Let's see what's behind door number 1!

As they say in my Japanese animes:

Umi da.

Door number 2 has...

A common room.

With a bunch of beds. Six, to be precise.

And door number 3...

...is locked.

Fiiiiiiiiiine, I guess we'll go say hi.

Music: UE77 In Ariake

This is the decision of the World Preservation Organization. You must hand everything over to ISDF.

I'd rather destroy the data than hand it over to you guys!

Well somebody's mad.

Nice timing! If you come any closer... I'll have to sic Unit 13 on you!

The funny thing is that despite ostensibly being our boss, Julietta does not have nearly as much pull over Unit 13 as he thinks he does.

Hm...? Doctor Julietta let's try and maintain some semblance of civility here. It's clear which side will win. We're an international agency, while you're just a business.

A business with a time machine. And also a complete disregard for the timeline.

We could probably, I don't know, go back and kill you as a baby or some poo poo.

We simply cannot allow you to keep the True Dragon specimen, or continue to employ time travel.

OK, OK. I get what you want. I don't mind handing over the 1st True Dragon Iod specimen.

...Okay, but why would they agree to something like that?

That's the only negotiation I'm willing to take you up on★

I mean, Yuma could solo us, and I don't see any backup dragon hunters around to stop the ISDF from taking the sample by force.

I see. So you seek a trade... Do you really think your vigilante ways will work on the mighty ISDF?

*chuckle* You're not going to improve if you're so overconfident in your organization, you know? Feel free to test us... If you think Nodens is just some private business, that is.

Understood.

Hopefully they agree to our suggestion★

Commander Akutsu of ISDF is a cold and calculating man. I highly doubt he'd sign off on an exchange with a private company like Nodens. And if they do hand over the 5th True Dragon Fomalhaut specimen, they'll want more in return...

You're right. I'd bet they'd ask for free reign over the Portal as well.

Exactly. And that won't be the end of it, either. They'd probably even monitor us when we use the Portal.

Oh, because God forbid the military keep an eye on a private company that has, again, an actual time machine.

Their strength will help us.

Oh my, Unit 13 seems to accept our ISDF overlords with open arms.

Urgh... You're fine with that smelly old man watching over our every move?

~

I'd rather not be watched.

Hmmm, I agree with you on that...

We won't be able to make any kind of progress with that smelly old man watching over our every move!

~~

Besides, they might even snatch back the Fomalhaut specimen! It's an absolute N.O. from me!

*chuckle* But the young one... He wasn't so bad, right?

Are you just basing that off his looks!?

*chuckle*

*sigh* I don't need some young hottie to conciliate me!

OK, OK★ Enough about that. Anyways, thank you for all your hard work!

Oh yeah! Unit 13, you guys finished up the Dormitory, right? I hear the view from the terrace is just superb.

Yup yup★ That's the kind of work I like to see around here!

Alright, you guys are done for the day. Feel free to go back and rest in your Dormitory.

Oh! Hold on, Unit 13. You have a guest waiting for you. Make sure you stop by the Entrance Lobby before you go to bed for the night.

Oh look, Mio came back what are the odds.

Julietta she is 14 years old what the actual gently caress!?

Everyone else agrees!

Wh-What!? It was a joke!

Next time: THE! HERO! IS! HERE!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 17, 2022

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kinu Nishimura posted:

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Of course it is. Why else would VFD stand for Veritable Funeral Discussions

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I highly suspect Spectus was meant to be the chapter 1 boss given that it has actual stats appropriate for a level 11 party, which they would be around at this point. That and Big Red Dragon is the archetype that's always the first boss in this series.

But given that chapter 1 is in Atlantis, and Spectus is encountered in the present day, that likely couldn't have worked for several reasons. So we're left with this awkward bit of pacing that just ends with a dragon extermination. That being said, for first timers to the series (aka almost everyone outside of Japan who played this), they likely wouldn't have noticed that anything is off since it's not known how the series works with regards to pacing for them. It'd be only the veterans that would notice the weird pacing.

Solitair posted:

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

The world is quiet here.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
when did you pick up the first sample? Last update you were deciding whether or not to fight the True Dragon and save them, and all of a sudden, you have the sample and now ISDF wants it? Did we miss an update or something?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

mastersord posted:

when did you pick up the first sample? Last update you were deciding whether or not to fight the True Dragon and save them, and all of a sudden, you have the sample and now ISDF wants it? Did we miss an update or something?

They already had it beforehand. The first scene in the game is Nodens picking up the sample of Iod... someplace.

The Fomalhut sample was picked up when he was killed at the end of 2020-II. Nyala was fought in 2020, but his sample just wasn't picked up there. (And they gave his wing being damaged as an excuse to go fight him in Atlantis instead of time traveling back to 2020.)

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Code VFD is at least consistent on that front, at least.

BisbyWorl posted:

...Well that's one True Dragon down, at least.

We are also aware that ISDF is in possession of a specimen of the 5th True Dragon Fomalhaut. We only currently know the locations of those two specimens. Therefore, four specimens remain. Your mission will be to retrieve them★

Neither of these samples are Nyarla, who is currently (for a given definition of "currently") ravaging Atlantis and our current target.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Araxxor posted:

They already had it beforehand. The first scene in the game is Nodens picking up the sample of Iod... someplace.

The Fomalhut sample was picked up when he was killed at the end of 2020-II. Nyala was fought in 2020, but his sample just wasn't picked up there. (And they gave his wing being damaged as an excuse to go fight him in Atlantis instead of time traveling back to 2020.)

OH! I was thinking of Nyala's sample which they don't have yet! Never mind.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
If nothing else I do appreciate how upfront Chika is about what we've signed up for.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Given the flagrant disregard for the space-time continuum, I'd imagine trying to use the Nodens Time Travel Tours machine to stop someone from being born would somehow make them become twins. Also I've honestly never seen the Allie's Death March fights, it's the one DLC I never purchased for VFD so I wonder how much of those will be 'legitimate challenge' or 'absolute bullshit' in the face of the staggering amount of wacky things the ol' Nodens Unit 13 will probably have by then.

Chip damage hasn't completely been nerfed, or at least I remember a few instances of still managing to get 2 damage out of a multi-hit attack on a Dragonsbane/Bloom Seed at some point while playing this game. Assuming my memory isn't failing me for the tenth time this week, anyways...

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
So, I got caught up on the 2020 LP. Then I saw a 7th Dragon OG LP and thought "huh, nice coincidence, wonder if that just started" and took a dip into that. Read a few chapters, then saw this thread and thought "huh, nicer coincidence, I guess this means I can LP the the full series". Then I finally realized just how long the 7th Dragon LP had been running.

Long story short, my brain is almost all dragon'd out. But I appreciate being able to connect threads between the games more, so thanks for the LPs!

A 7th Dragon/Lemony Snicket crossover would probably be better than the Vocaloid crossover 2020 did.

One other note, it does seem like they tried to handwave away why we can have a time limit when we own a time machine by saying they can't move the coordinates afterward. I'd interpret it as "when we harpoon a point to link it to ours, we've irrevocably weakened the timeline there and nearby strikes would just slide into this new point of least resistance" because it's a logical, weirdly explained, and highly irresponsible answer.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update X - Featuring: A Hero

~

Nice nice★ Your first mission was a resounding success. I can't wait to watch you continue to grow★

~

Sheesh, Allie... I didn't think she went for the handsome men... She's got it all wrong... It's not about the face! A guy's butt is easily the best part!

Alright, let's go check in with Mio.

Music: A Place to Come Home

She spends a few seconds looking around for us.

I'm fine.

Liar. You look so beat up...

~

Are you worried about me?

Huh!? Y-Yes... I am worried about you, Opal... I mean, you look so beat up!

~~

You've been fighting to help other people again, haven't you? Um, that's actually why I'm here today.

I don't want you to get scars... Here, I'll put it on for you. Just close your eyes...

Oh no, Mio's dabbing on us.

Umm, I think I put a bit too much on... B-But you'll definitely get better quickly now!

It actually helps, thanks Mio!

Do you really want to keep working with Allie and the others, even after all those injuries...?

That's my decision.

Decision...? I see... Even though it was just a request at first, you still had to choose to accept.

~

I want to protect everyone.

You haven't changed from when I first met you... You just go full throttle on everything...

~~

That's it... You believe in yourself, and push on in a way only you can, Opal. I... I need to work harder, and figure out how to do things in a way only I can...

*nods*

*cough* *cough* Hehe... Thank you, Opal. I'm going to go think about things a little more. Well, see you!

Just do what you gotta do and get to sleep already.

We finally get our room added to the fast travel menu.

Our room is certainly fancy!

The Nagamimi doll is a bit of free DLC.

Occasionally people will leave a bento for us in our room, just like 2020.

...Thanks, Nagamimi.

Examining the Nagamimi doll will make your leader say a few random lines, with each voice option having different things to say.

I am not checking what each individual voice has to say. Even I have limits.

You can also chat with your other party members.

Look at the size of this TV! Nodens Unit 13 has it made compared to Murakumo's Unit 13.

And now we can finally go to bed.

Music: Destructive Curse

While we sleep, the ISDF are having a meeting.

However, the time travel device... That was beyond even my expectations.

They said the only way they'll hand over the Iod specimen is if we agree to a trade. Continuation of their research into the Dragon Chronicle appears to be their top priority.

The Dragon Chronicle... That fantasy's been floating around for almost 100 years now...

...Fantasy?

Fantasy???

Does no one remember Hikasa? Or Takehaya? How the hell did the Dragon Chronicle get turned into some kind of urban legend?

Hmph... We can leave the dreaming to them. What humanity needs is the absolute power to fight against the 7th True Dragon. Our mission is to make that power into a reality. Yuma, was there anything of value in those ruins?

I hunted a dragon during our observation, but it wasn't even a suitable warm-up.

*chuckle* Impressive. Analyze and back up the battle data by tomorrow morning. Signs of the 7th True Dragon's appearance have begun to spread. The 3rd Invasion of Tokyo will soon be upon us. You understand that by that time...

Yes, of course.

Good. Tougo Yoritomo, Yuma Kisaragi! I hereby command both of you to station yourselves at Nodens! You will begin at 07:00 tomorrow morning! Your aim: a specimen from the 3rd True Dragon Nyala!

Oh, that's why the ISDF is willing to work with us. They want to piggyback off of Nodens' hard work and get their own Nyala sample.

Yuma could still effortlessly solo us.

Do what you must to appease them and gain access to that Portal. Even if it requires that you hand over the Fomalhaut specimen. That is all.

You should rest as well, Admiral. You're getting on in years.

Hmph, such impertinence...

By the way... what did you think of them, Admiral?

You mean the Nodens Investigation Team? Unit 13, was it...? Hm, it's rare to see you hold interest in others.

It's just, their combat abilities have improved drastically since the other day. But how...?

You will see with your own eyes. Our new post will prove difficult, Yuma. 12,000 years in the past...

Music: None

The ISDF certainly aren't keeping quiet about this.

Maniacal Man: And that's an original ISDF combat shotgun! These guys are a goldmine for rare equipment! You can't see this stuff in training exercises!

They're already back, lady. You saw them like two days ago!

Even Mio turned up!

Apparently they're gonna be joining in on our plan from today onward. What a pain in the rear end... They're over in the War Room now. Go and show your face before you hop into the Portal.

Construction is now available for the Reference Room Lv. 1.

Huh, that's extremely early for the Lounge. Normally that shows up in mid game.

Which also makes a bit of sense, really. With no actual threats in the present, Nodens can throw materials at luxury stuff like this without putting anyone at risk.

Nodens Receptionist: Although... that Yuma fellow is quite attractive...

But before we go meet our new coworkers: Talking.

By which I mean just her, everyone else I talked to had the same lines from yesterday.

And while we're here, we might as well check what the new construction gets us.

What!?

The Mind Booster was a late game accessory in the 2020s that heavily boosts Exhaust gain! We don't even have Exhaust yet and they're already throwing it at us! What the poo poo is this game balance!?

Welcome to VFD!

The other is completely useless in comparison.

Music: UE77 In Ariake

Honestly it's kinda off-putting that you guys accepted our demands. What's the catch?

Hmph... It's better to have options if we want to be prepared for the coming Dragon Calamity. I don't know what you intend on doing, but ISDF will decimate you if you plan on interfering. But more importantly, we both have access to new data. Seems like a fair trade to me.

OK OK★ Only four more to go!

Allie even waves at us. :kimchi:

I like Allie.

Let me introduce them once again. This group is our ace squad, codenamed Unit 13.

Starting today, Nodens and ISDF will be collaborating in order to hunt the True Dragons.

There will surely be missions in which we get to fight side by side. I look forward to working with you, Unit 13.

Let's work hard together!

Work together, hm?

*chuckle* I didn't expect such a warm reception... I was worried you'd think of us as vultures waiting to steal your prey. This is quite a relief. I feel that we can become very close, Opal.

~

Don't get in my way.

How assertive of you.

Let us not be so cold to each other. We are not vultures waiting to snatch your prey. We are simply here in order to achieve greater military results, together...

*looks away*

*chuckle* It seems you don't like me much.

~~

Our objective here is collecting specimens. As long as we get them, we won't get in your way.

Hmph... You'd better not. You'll have me to deal with if you interfere with Unit 13.

Now Julietta, let's stay amicable here★

Fine, fine. But don't expect me not to hold a grudge...

*chuckle* You're so strange. Come on, Nagamimi. Let's get this meeting started before a fight breaks out.

Yup. Let's do it.

It could be a miniature robot with some kind of specialized AI...

Not even the ISDF know what's up with Nagamimi.

I am the Almighty Nagamimi! Nothing more, nothing less! Don't you forget it!

Holy poo poo they actually salute them.

They know the pecking order, at least.

I suppose this kind of thing is to be expected in the entertainment industry.

Th-They're surprisingly quick to understand...

Gr... What rudeness. Anyways, moving on. Let's review the plan before this collab gets under way. First off, our target will be the 3rd True Dragon Nyala. Given that ISDF has the same goal, we will work together to collect the Nyala specimen. That specimen is the key here, got it? Don't let it just sink down to the sea floor.

I've expanded our transfer path selection by connecting to a new area in the same time nexus.

Julietta pulled an all-nighter making adjustments to the Portal★

You're amazing, Julietta!

Aw, you're making me blush~!

Our genius scientist is amazing, isn't he★

~

Can we please just go kill Nyala?

Hey now... People aren't gonna take a shine to you if you just rush into everything.

It's too early for you to fight Nyala! You'd surely lose.

~~

Anyways, you'll now be able to go to the Lower Ward Cladeon. That place is the foundation of Atlantis's prosperity. It's home to both miners and blacksmiths. There probably aren't many survivors down there, though. It's basically a monster den.

You'll be going there to gather information on the Dragonslayer.

Forging a Dragonslayer was an endgame goal in 7D1 and 2020-II.

Here we just... get started on it in the second chapter. We haven't even fought an actual boss yet.

The Dragonslayer...!? The Lucier used their extensive knowledge of smithing to craft a sword of the mythical orichalcum. A special weapon designed to combat the True Dragons... That is the Dragonslayer.

I heard the former king Utrello used it in his struggle against the dragons. But it was lost when he fell to Nyala...

We know that already. Who said we'd be finding the actual thing? If it's really gone, we'll just have to make another. Sheesh, is stealing all you soldiers know?

*grunt*

What we'll need from you guys now is to find some pure orichalcum so we can make our Dragonslayer. We're also gonna need a Lucier blacksmith who can help forge. If there are any alive, that is.

Defeating Nyala without the Dragonslayer will be impossible given our current military power. To make it worse, there's no way to craft the sword using modern technology and materials.

I see... It seems having the Dragonslayer will turn the tides of war drastically in our favor.

Then we too shall head to Cladeon. We'll be departing immediately.

OK OK★ Have a safe trip!

And make sure you don't interfere with Unit 13's work!

The Atlantis recapture plan will now commence!

ISDF Soldier: Yes, Sir!

But at the end of the day, soldiers are soldiers. You need to stay on your guard.

Julietta used to work in a lab at the American branch of ISDF. But he got into a fight with one of his superiors, so he got the boot. That's when I snagged him★

Eh, the past is in the past. Regardless, be careful. If you see them doing anything weird, make sure you report it to us.

Well then, looks like it's time for you guys to head out, too! Good luck, Unit 13!

What comes next is the crucial part.

~

I expect greatness from you, Unit 13★

~

Don't put too much trust into ISDF. They'll do anything if they're ordered to. That's just how the military is. It's also how I am... in the bedroom~...

Julietta, could you chill for like 10 seconds?

His lines also don't change for what leader you have, so you could have him spout off these innuendos to the Duelists, who are actual 10 year olds, which would make Julietta incredibly sketchy.

Now to not do the plot. Not like we can have any tension to make us hurry when we have a time machine, after all!

More important are the oodles of sidequests we have!

He comes from a game called Super Blaster that was made by a company we bought years ago... Well, this request is from someone who wants an autograph from this Blaster man. Who would really want an autograph from a character whose game came out thirty years ago...? Anyways, you'll be able to find your client, Joe, on the R&D Floor.

This request comes from Researcher Ami... She'd like you to collect this stuff called Spiral Meat from a snail that can only be found in Atlantis... Anyways, Ami should be on the R&D Floor... She will give you more details directly. Good luck...

I'll just be doing this once to show it off, and I won't even clear it right away.

There seems to have been a large outbreak of Dragonsbane Seeds in Atlantica... We'd like Unit 13 to eliminate them. This is a good chance to accumulate EXP and SP! Ask Yui on the R&D Floor for more details. We'll be counting on you...

This request is from the Developer Ichi. He said he saw a strange girl in 7th Encount! He said she looked like an old member of the legendary Unit 13 from back in the 2000's! I'll need you to go check on that. It'll be very big news if it turns out to be true! Ichi's waiting on the Development Floor. He'll be able to give you more details.

This request is from Kazu, a Nodens employee. I think he saw someone wandering 7th Encount! If his word is anything to go by, she looked like a member of the legendary Unit 13 of old! I'd love for you to go find out! This is really important! Kazu's down in the Entrance Lobby. He'll be able to give you more details.

This request is from Hiro, a gamer. He claims to have seen a mysterious figure in 7th Encount! He said they looked like an old member of the legendary Unit 13 from back in the 2000's! This is massive news if it's true! We'll have to confirm the situation as soon as possible. Hiro's down in 7th Encount. He'll be able to give you more details.

The no requirements thing for all these Code quests are a loving lie.

You'll see why soon enough.

Alright, first on the list is that Blaster Raven fellow.

Researcher Joe: l'll finally be able to get my hands on Ravens autograph... Kouta's going to be so thrilled! One of the heroes from a game my son loves called “Super Blast” is performing in the plaza. I wanted to go and get his autograph, but... I'm stuck here in the lab. They won't let me take any time off from my research. Could I ask you to go instead...?

*nods*

Researcher Joe: Thank you so much! Here, have him sign this. Something quick and simple. I'm counting on you, Unit 13!

Now that we have some paper, we can go talk to the man himself.

...This is Blaster Raven?

...I love him already.

Earth Squadron, Blaster Raven! The! Hero! Is! Here! *chuckle* Yet again I have pierced the hearts of children everywhere... Oh, that paper! Could it be? Does a loyal follower want an autograph from the majestic Blaster Raven?

*nods*

Understood, kids! Wait just one moment! Hm... Pen, pen, pen... What...? I-It's gone...! My pen is gone! Oh...! *ahem* Ah yes, that's correct! I loaned my Blaster Pen to a young girl in need just a while back. It seems she must have taken it with her... If you truly desire a Raven autograph, you must retrieve my Blaster Pen from that hasty girl!

Why can't you get it?

Blaster Raven does not have time to meddle in such trifling matters! There is evil afoot!

~

Leave it to Unit 13!

D-Did you just say Unit 13!? N-No... Now is not the time to be thinking about such matters!

~~

I caught the faintest scent of pharmaceuticals radiating from the girl who took my pen... I suggest you investigate the Medical Floor! Go forth, Blaster Kids! Godspeed!

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for someone react to us stealing the name Unit 13, considering they saved the world and all.

Talking to him after this gets:

Hmm... Maybe if I...

:allears:

Next time: You had to pay actual money for these.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 12, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh Blaster Raven. :allears:

quote:

Does no one remember Hikasa? Or Takehaya? How the hell did the Dragon Chronicle get turned into some kind of urban legend?

I was gonna say it's possible the info was scrubbed out and covered up for the good of the public. Except that line of thinking immediately falls apart when ISDF should be the one to know everything about that stuff. Maybe people in the 7th Dragon universe are just poo poo at teaching history or something.

quote:

The Mind Booster was a late game accessory in the 2020s that heavily boosts Exhaust gain! We don't even have Exhaust yet and they're already throwing it at us! What the poo poo is this game balance!?

For reference, the Mind Booster was handed out in 2020 upon upgrading the lounge to level 2, which only happened in the final chapter of the game.

In 2020-II, it was handed out after 45 rescues, which could be achieved in chapter 4 at the earliest.

Here they just hand you the drat thing right during chapter 2. And no, its effects are not nerfed from the previous games!

DS didn't have an equivalent of the Mind Booster because EX functioned entirely differently in that game, but that can be elaborated on at a different time.

Incidentally those text boxes from speaking with your party members is also a concession the localizations made for international audiences, as in the Japanese version of the game, you just heard the voice line, no text box or subtitles. The voices still play here for the record. You just know what they said. The lines are different per voice type, though I'm not sure if it also changes with the class.

OneWingedDevil posted:

So, I got caught up on the 2020 LP. Then I saw a 7th Dragon OG LP and thought "huh, nice coincidence, wonder if that just started" and took a dip into that. Read a few chapters, then saw this thread and thought "huh, nicer coincidence, I guess this means I can LP the the full series". Then I finally realized just how long the 7th Dragon LP had been running.

Life... got in the way. Quite a bit. Also not helping matters was me actively dreading recording certain parts of the game which ended up delaying a few updates solely because I wasn't in the mood to put myself through said segments for several days or even months. :shepface:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

THERE HE IS THATS MY BOY RIGHT THERE RIGHT THERE THATS MY BOY ITS HIM ITS MY BOY THATS MY BOY

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

quote:

Why, why, why would you follow Budget Kyubey?

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

Blaster Raven is the best part of VFD, no contest. He is a goddamn delight.

Also wow, the ISDF have just as bad notions of preserving the timeline or their commander's a blithering idiot not worried about accidentally deleting himself from existence. And Yuma's comment about the Dragon Chronicle strikes me more about the notion of using it to defeat dragons rather than y'know, what 2020 said it does. It would seem pretty fanciful that getting some biology report together would lead to the end of all the giant apocalypse lizards.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XI - Featuring: Bizarre DLC Availability

Before we go get the Blaster Pen for Blaster Raven for a Blaster Autograph, let's go start all those other sidequests.

This guy in the Development Room starts up Code: Student.

Ichi: Oh? Are you the one who took my request upon their shoulders? My... I am not only extremely humbled, but delighted as well. To be honest, I saw... a member of the legendary Unit 13 at the Skytower in 7th Encount! However, everyone insists my eyes must have deceived me! They refuse to believe the truth! Honorable Unit 13! Please bring her here, and prove my innocence! If that is impossible, the only option that remains is to honorably end my own life.

Well he certainly went from 0 to 100. :stare:

*nods*

Ichi: Oh! You will bring her here? I am forever in your debt! She will surely be in the Skytower in 7th Encount! I beg of you, find her!

In the entrance hallway of the R&D Floor is the grinding DLC.

Yui: Um, we have some intel saying there there's been a mass outbreak of Dragonsbane Seeds in Atlantica! Do you know what a seed is? It's like, those things that start off small but then turn into plants! They're really annoying to beat, but they'll give tons of EXP and SP! Doesn't that sound lovely? This isn't really a request, but just some info for you. It'll help you level up quickly! Whadya say?

*nods*

Yui: Watch out for special Dragonsbane Seeds in Atlantica! Hope they ex-seed your expectations!

We were already here for Blaster Raven, but there's a second sidequest in the same room.

This one is Snail Mail.

Ami: Thanks for taking my request. Well, let's get into the details! What I need is... A collection mission! Have you heard of a Spiral Cannon before?

Is that in the zoological record?

Ami: Yes, yes! It's the tender white creature that lives in a large spiral conch shell!

~

What's that, a food?

Ami: Yes, yes! You just pop that shell off, rub butter all over its soft body, and smoke it up on a grill— I-I mean, who would eat something like that!? This is research! Purely research!

~~

Ami: Spiral Cannons form their shells from rare metals, so they help to map out mineral distribution. Unit 13, my request is this: Collect 10 Spiral Meat from Spiral Cannons. Can I count on you?

*nods*

Ami: Thank you so much! Spiral Cannons live in various locations around Atlantica. Good luck♪ Oh by the way, Spiral Meat rots very quickly. Make sure you get the freshest possible meat for me...! *drool*

It's too late to mention now, but Ami is known around Nodens for her... bizarre taste in food. She once tried to eat a dragon specimen, and was sick in bed for an entire month. The mineral survey will probably be useful, but you can bet she'll roast that Spiral Meat later. What a weird request... Sucks for you that you have to go along with it. Well, good luck! Eeheehee!

Sidequests in the 2020s consisted of things like scavenging for resources, saving people from monsters, or stopping death cults and the like.

In VFD, we have to go get a celebrity autograph and get monster meat for a foodie.

But, again, what can you do when there's no threat to Nodens? Everything in the world is business as normal, so there's no real way to have actually serious sidequests.

Up next is Code: Otaku down by the entrance cafe.

Kazu: Nobody believes me, but I totally saw her! Nobody believes me, but I totally saw her! She was fighting a dragon at the Skytower in 7th Encount-o! I was a fan at first sight-o! Those flat eyes, gently curved tails, and long sleeves! I can't resist her... I want her to treat me like a human piece of trash-o! There's no doubt that she's a member of the legendary Unit 13! I must meet her no matter what! Bring her to me, please! It's all up to you-o!

:stare:

A-Anything else you'd like to say, Kazu?

~

Kazu: And then I'll take her crown... She'll probably get mad, but I won't give it back—o... Then I'll be able to taunt and tease her... Her eyes are gonna well up with tears!

I honestly think I prefer the seppuku guy.

Kazu: *gasp-o* I blanked out again... Hm? What you you still doing here? She's surely in the Skytower in 7th Encount! Please, bring her to me-o!

And finally we have Code: Lucier in 7th Encount.

Hiro: ...Go find the cat girl. ...Go find the cat girl in the Skytower. ...Listen. ...The other day I saw a cat-ear girl who looked like a member of the legendary Unit 13. ...She was so fluffy. I have to fluff her fluffiness. You must bring her to me for fluffy time! ...The cat girl should be somewhere in the Skytower in 7th Encount. ...Good luck.

Why are they all freaks!?

~

Hiro: Meow meow meow meow meow meow... Meow meow kitty cat meow meow... ...What're you looking at? ...The cat girl should be somewhere in the Skytower.

Aaaaaaand now semantic satiation has set in on 'meow.' Lovely.

This is probably a bad idea.

Music: Tokyo - Cascading Ordeals

But I'm going to go get them.

We run into 2020 Samurai as soon as we walk in.

During this entire trip, I really want you to keep something in mind:

We're in the drat pods. Why the hell can't we just unplug these three from 7th Encount?

Nagamimi booted us out when we proved ourselves to be dragon hunters, so why do we have to go and drag them out by hand?

Another scene starts as soon as we enter the Skytower.

This time with 2020 Hacker.

She glances at us for a moment and walks away.

And about 10 seconds later we get another scene.

This time with 2020-II Lucier.

Oh, and the fights are completely unchanged from the last time we were here, so we get basically nothing from random encounters.

That's it for this floor.

But a scene starts as soon as we enter the next.

Samurai looks around a bit then runs ahead.

Go get her, Unit 13! Do whatever it takes to catch that brat!

Aaaaaand that's it.

For the entire floor.

But yet another scene starts up when we go up the stairs to 3F.

Having all three quests active at the same time really makes this a bit exhausting to do.

Hacker casually strolls away.

You've got to get her, Unit 13! Even if it kills you!

On the plus side, we have a marker down a dead end, so whoever is there won't be able to keep running.

Also, we can finally finish clearing out the dungeon!

Let's go deal with that first marker.

A dragon in a video game.

Unit 13! You've gotta go save Straight Bangs!

Why can't Nagamimi, I don't know, use admin commands to despawn it?

They jacked up the encounters and spawned in the baby dragon, after all.

...oh dear.

See, the Megamouth Dragon first shows up in Cladeon, so this is one hell of an early fight for us.

And to make things worse...

This isn't any old normal Megamouth.

The first one are regular Megamouths that we'll be meeting in Cladeon.

The second is this specific Megamouth.

So we're underleveled and undergeared, we're lacking multiple abilities we'd normally have for a Megamouth fight, and it has nearly three times the HP of a base Megamouth.

And even if we ignore the damage it deals directly, the poison it inflicts ticks for 1/4 of our health.

Oh, and he can hit multiple party members.

Winning as I am now is straight up impossible, I just don't have the resources needed to try and brute force the fight.

So what do I do?

I cheat it to death. :v:

Because we actually get our second set of classes early into Cladeon, so putting this fight off until I could actually win it would mean none of the DLC portraits could be used in the next chargen vote..

And if you were playing at home, using these portraits would mean either waiting for the final classes, benching someone you already have, or changing a pre-existing party member into them at the Terminal, completely defeating the point of these make-your-own-party type games.

Music: Tokyo - Cascading Ordeals

So gently caress it, I'm calling LP'er fiat, bitches!

Opal nods, then Samurai gestures.

Samurai tilts her head.

Well, where are you from? What should we call you? Just what are you?

Samurai shakes her head and then gestures.

What!? You have amnesia!? What a bullshit excuse!

Having two silent protagonists in the same place is a pain.

Opal gestures.

Grr... Fine! You're way too freaking lenient. Get her back here!

Up next is...

The next Lucier scene.

C'mon! Didn't I tell you to stop!? Chase her down, Unit 13! Don't let her escape, even if you die in the process!

At least we're finally able to grab this chest!

Both Hacker and Lucier have had two scenes, so both of them will need to be saved now.

The closest one is Hacker.

poo poo! Unit 13, go save Goth Eyes!

Bop.

Opal nods, Hacker gestures.

Goth Eyes! Why the heck were you trying to get away from us!? You brat... Just tell us who you are. Or maybe where you're from. Or at least WHAT you are.

Hacker shakes her head and ges-son of a bitch did they make this formulaic???

You've gotta be freaking kidding me! Amnesial? I'm not gonna fall for that poo poo!

Opal gestures.

Grr... Whatever! Just bring her back already! You better be ready to deal with the consequences!

That just leaves one more to go.

There's a heal point at the end of the dungeon.

And the Lucier.

This is bad! Unit 13, get in there and save Cat Ears!

Bop 2: Electric Boogaloo.

And yes, all of these will be showing up in Cladeon.

You know the drill by now.

Hey, you! Why did you run away from us, Cat Ears!?

But in a twist, Lucier steps back a bit first!

And now we get the shakes and gestures.

What!? Amnesia!? A lovely excuse like that isn't gonna work on me! Grr... Fine! Sheesh, you're too soft. Bring her back here!

That's it for the Code quests, but I still need to clear the place out.

And done.

Actually done, even! The top floor is just this small roof!

There's not even a chest or anything to reward us.

Really strange how they just... made half the tutorial dungeon irrelevant.

Oh well.

The Code: Lucier turn-in is like 5 seconds away, so I might as well deal with that while we're here.

...I already regret this.

Hiro: ...Fluffy.

What have we done...

A-Anyways, what're you gonna do now, Cat Ears? Do you have somewhere you can go?

Lucier shakes her head.

Hey, this is a problem...

Suddenly, Allie!

Allie. She is, but... She has amnesia. She doesn't even know where her home is. We're all out of ideas...

I have a great idea! How about we have her fight dragons alongside Unit 13?

Ah yes, let's take a girl with zero memories and have her fight for her life. No possible way this could go wrong.

Don't be absurd! This civilian can't fight against dragons!

Well, I looked into the data from 7th Encount, and it turns out she has superb battle abilities! She was hunting dragons before you came along and found her. She even managed to beat a High Dragon!

And yet we had to save her from a normal dragon, which are significantly weaker than High Dragons.

Hell, we haven't even killed a High Dragon yet!

What!? No way!

Also, despite all of that, all the DLC portraits still start at level 1 if you make a new character.

Are you a dragon hunter?

Each one gets a nod from Lucier, natch.

Eeheehee... Looks like she's all pumped up.

Then it's settled! I love getting more teammates! Welcome to Nodens!

And despite being, you know, an actual person we recruited, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from filling your party with nothing but 2020-II Lucier.

Next time: More sidequesting.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 12, 2023

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The DLC portraits are uh. Yeah, it's not like in Etrian Odyssey where they just hand you the things and you can use em. Just head to the guild hall and off you go. (Barring that time in EO5 where they just released the isekai portraits too drat late relative to the game's release). For some reason they made it so you had to "earn" them. And came up with a rather flimsy framing for it.

All the DLC were free on launch week at least? The grinding DLC and the Nagamimi doll DLC (which is always free) were released at the same time as the game. The F-Samurai and F-Hacker portraits (no you don't get the male portraits) were released a week after the game launched, and the F-Lucier portrait, as well as the post-game DLC were released 2 weeks after the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
That is an... interesting way to unlock portrait DLC.

Personally I'm a pretty big fan of how in order to unlock - completely cosmetic! - portraits that you pay for you need to fight a beefier version of a dragon you're supposed to deal with after you get extra stuff (though I don't remember how late into Cladeon Megamouths are...).

Which might not be that bad but it's like... why the hell are you making us go through the effort for something like this?