Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hn thread: Have you considered running away to a weird traveling circus and becoming a death clown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PaulHoule 15 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Some people get really mean when they get senile, particularly if they suffered from anxiety disorders or abused alcohol.
It's why home care workers never wear necklaces because they could try to strangle you with one.

he's talking about clyde

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alexandriao posted:

hn thread: Have you considered running away to a weird traveling circus and becoming a death clown?

i have now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fritz posted:

crawfordcomeaux 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

Listen to the jokers telling you you're worrying about things out of your control. You have access to things others don't. Remember your gifts. You can use them to transform into someone who can have a more effective influence on the world around you. The issue is we've been socially/culturally/linguistically programmed with busted mental models caked with denial. This cake is always made up of literal lies, like "I am white" or "There exists a sustainable way to cling to life without slowly killing oneself" or "A comment on the internet can't possibly be the stimulus for a heart attack."
What's the finite set of universal human needs? How can we show this? One way is to compile a list from all the lists online and see what needs you're not meeting. Work on getting those met. Sounds like you've got some acceptance going unmet, as well as some mourning. Do you have effective grieving strategies? Have you cried through envisioning the death of the last human? What about extinction by asteroid? There's a whole world of death to explore and accept! This is why we're starting a traveling circus meant for healing, grieving, and more.
Anxiety is normal for any beliefs out of alignment with reality/nature like "There's nothing we can do about it" or "I'm but one person." And no matter what your beliefs, if you have a chronically unmet need for something and you're making plans that continue to deny it, the parts of the body needing that thing may naturally get anxious.
Money literally isn't a human need, so if you think a collapse is coming and you don't know how to live without money, part of you is probably aware you can get pretty screwed pretty quick in that scenario. So go learn that. Consider a change in career. Have you considered running away to a weird traveling donation-driven circus, becoming a death clown, and learning what it's like to have 0 money and not feel anxious? Cause that's where I'm at and I wish this peace for all. The Caravan Stage Company has also been rolling this way for decades. Maybe check them out? If you do this kind of work on yourself, you may become a person who's equipped to help family through anything. That's the journey I'm on, or so I hope. I suspect I can show it works mathematically.

that was a hell of a ride

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SoftTalker 12 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

> Abuse is OK because some people eventually figure out how to get away from it?
I take issue with calling it abuse, but yes -- it's a learning experience and a life lesson. I did it, I was disillusioned with school, quit and worked in manual labor, delivery, and restaurant jobs when I was young. Decided I didn't want to do that for life, so I went back to school and learned to program computers. Then I worked as a consultant, decided that was too many hours and too much time away from home, so I found another job that was better on those metrics. Decided I didn't like living in a huge metro area, so found another job in a small town.
Life isn't handed to you, and if it is, you don't appreciate what you have.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

blobbers 15 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

It may also incentivize people to avoid going to prison. What is the incentive to avoid prison? How does society recoup losses from crime?
Does the 13th amendment exist to disincentivize crime? I don't know the history behind the specific language with the exclusion for criminals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > hn thread: What is the incentive to avoid prison?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they should look into that whole 13th amendment thing a little more though

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > hn thread: What is the incentive to avoid prison?

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
eric4smith 11 minutes ago | next [–]

The fact that people got all the payments in the pandemic and many have now refused to return to a job sort of validates that thesis in a slightly undesirable way.

People got the leisure time and loved it and want more of it.

But the world as it is now was not build with “work from home”.

All the infrastructure that we have now — virtual and physical was not built with “work from home”.

All the products and technology that we are using to write and read the content on this page was not built with “work from home”.

I suspect that the thesis of having too much leisure time might come true but with a much reduced standard of living and health.

Because as we all know, the majority of people will just slack off given more free time.

Obesity will rise. Suicides will rise. Depression will rise.

Human beings thrive when there is something to drive and strive towards. Take away work and you have taken away a lot of reasons for living.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

s1artibartfast 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Barber schools and license requirements in Rhode I...

I like strip malls. What don't you like about them?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

throwaway0a5e 1 day ago | prev | next [–]

>It's really not fair to lump zoning in with things like civil forfeiture.
The common theme is that they're both massive affronts to property rights.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

drak0n1c 18 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: SpaceX said to fire employees involved in letter r...

The goal of the employees was to silence his free speech. Disrupting those censorious efforts by firing them is his dealing with Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance. He realized that to preserve a tolerant workplace, intolerance of their rising tide of intolerance was necessary.

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
walkhour 14 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

Since Musk said he wanted to buy Twitter, every day there are two or three news about him, all of them in negative light.

News about how there's rampant overt racism in the factories, how he's a sexist bigot, how he's going to turn Twitter into a forum for the third Reich, how he's a crypto scammer, and how he's involved in so many illegal things.

When was the last time we saw a post in HN talking about how Elon Musk is helping combat climate change?

I'm not saying he's not a jerk but the publishing bias against him is overwhelming.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cloutchaser 1 day ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Anyone can sue musk if he libels them with his tweets.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

fritz posted:

s1artibartfast 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Barber schools and license requirements in Rhode I...

I like strip malls. What don't you like about them?

Found the SoCal poster

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

fritz posted:

drak0n1c 18 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: SpaceX said to fire employees involved in letter r...

The goal of the employees was to silence his free speech. Disrupting those censorious efforts by firing them is his dealing with Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance. He realized that to preserve a tolerant workplace, intolerance of their rising tide of intolerance was necessary.

It is always fascinating when these idiots try to co-opt what they hear and misunderstand of others' talking around them. Like when they think they've got a smug own from this or that repurposed bit of social justice language.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Maximo Roboto posted:

Found the SoCal poster

wut

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
hn thread: Obesity will rise

mystes
May 31, 2006

DiggyJohnson 1 minute ago | parent | next [–]

I’m planning on writing a book about you, btw

That’s how much I appreciate what you do here.

Your “spidey-senses” are invaluable. I hope you train a mentor before you leave us.

this is in response to a comment by Dang

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I also think the mods and admins on this forum are very smart and handsome.

Not that one mod though. You know who you are.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

I also think the mods and admins on this forum are very smart and handsome.

Not that one mod though. You know who you are.

it's graph

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
they weren’t gonna say it aloud

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hyperpallium2 5 minutes ago | next [–]

All dentists I've tried, found by various methods (including recommedation from a GP I trust) have been dishonest and/or incompetent. A small business, serving laypersons who cannot evaluate the work, is prone to it.
I think the only way is to stick with one dentists, so they see you as a long-term investment.
funfact: Yelp was inspired by the difficulty of finding good dentists.
Now I'm interested in DIY dentistry. Any pointers?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Brush and floss.

I guess the ice skate tooth extraction is on the menu as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bets on what he’s in denial about?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

bets on what he’s in denial about?

brushing your teeth is just so loving inefficient, aaaaaaagh, I will train my body to reject plaque

mystes
May 31, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

brushing your teeth is just so loving inefficient, aaaaaaagh, I will train my body to reject plaque
I simply use my psychic plaque killing powers as a dentalist

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i will simply bathe my teeth in acidic soda for 16 hours a day to kill any bacteria that would attack them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

to be somewhat fair, teeth are one of the things where genetics are so powerful that some people can brush/floss religiously and still need tons of work whereas others can do almost nothing and never have issues. there certainly are some dentists that are running scams or something but if every dentist tells you you have tons of issues then you probably have tons of issues!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i had all my teeth removed because i don't need them to drink soylent. since then, my productivity has increased by 20%. check out my 50,000 word medium post about it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i do wonder if this is actually genetics or more like, whether the bacteria that's colonized your mouth happens to enjoy munching enamel or not

like, could you address long-term dental issues by introducing a bunch of benign bacteria to outcompete the ones that cause serious tooth decay

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

to be somewhat fair, teeth are one of the things where genetics are so powerful that some people can brush/floss religiously and still need tons of work whereas others can do almost nothing and never have issues. there certainly are some dentists that are running scams or something but if every dentist tells you you have tons of issues then you probably have tons of issues!

there are also minor behavioural tweaks that have outsized impact. A big one is not drinking sweet beverages like juice, soft drinks, drinking coffee without sugar (especially if you just sip slowly)

this is an anecdote but there’s a person I know who went from having multiple cavities a year to none in 10 years after stopping them, without significantly changing any other habit. In her case, dropping sugar in coffee was the one habit change and it just fixed everything because she was a particularly slow drinker and it meant her teeth were in contact with sugary liquid for many hours a day.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

MononcQc posted:

there are also minor behavioural tweaks that have outsized impact. A big one is not drinking sweet beverages like juice, soft drinks, drinking coffee without sugar (especially if you just sip slowly)

this is an anecdote but there’s a person I know who went from having multiple cavities a year to none in 10 years after stopping them, without significantly changing any other habit. In her case, dropping sugar in coffee was the one habit change and it just fixed everything because she was a particularly slow drinker and it meant her teeth were in contact with sugary liquid for many hours a day.

i can absolutely vouch for that approach based on personal experience too. i dropped all sugary drinks (sodas, etc) and only drink coffee with milk and while i still have problems with teeth occasionally i feel like this really took the problems away by an order of magnitude

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"genetics" when it comes to teeth has always struck me as "we don't know what the actual cause is" because there's a bunch of steps in between genes and tooth decay that also should have observable or treatable effects.

i assume the people who actually research dental health don't just go "yep, it's because of genes" and stop there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Saying it's genetic is that saying a lot of the variation in dental health is explained away by different genes. That model has residuals, sure, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have explanatory power.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way one of those things where doing science is difficult. really controlled experiments are largely unethical (back in the day they stuffed mental patients mouths full of taffy all day, which got us a tiny bit of information in return for truly vast cruelty), where now mostly it is a matter of sifting through incredibly confused and flawed data for answers. which makes reasonably intelligent guesses driving seemingly likely advice a pretty legitimate route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jabor posted:

i do wonder if this is actually genetics or more like, whether the bacteria that's colonized your mouth happens to enjoy munching enamel or not

like, could you address long-term dental issues by introducing a bunch of benign bacteria to outcompete the ones that cause serious tooth decay

my understanding is that it's thought to be related to the acidity of your saliva.
my mother was a dental assistant and me and my sister always took great care of our teeth and she was probably more diligent about it than i was. i've never had a cavity, she had many growing up :shrug:

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 20, 2022