Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jay is begging Rory to be outspoken about it like this because of how much weight his word carries. He’s like THE guy on tour, along with maybe Rahm, who would put together a very considered reaction to all this and not some breezy non answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
He’s also president of the PAC so that probably has something to do with it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Except LIV absolutely needs bashing so I'm with Rory.

100%

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jay is begging Rory to be outspoken about it like this because of how much weight his word carries. He’s like THE guy on tour, along with maybe Rahm, who would put together a very considered reaction to all this and not some breezy non answers.

He did exactly that

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/us-open-jon-rahm-live-golf-perfect-comments

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Daric posted:

He’s also president of the PAC so that probably has something to do with it

He said on Monday something to the effect of, "I don't work for the PGA Tour; they work for me." He represents all players, so yes.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
gently caress LIV and anyone associated with it

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I ultimately did buy a ticket to the Portland event on Saturday. The PGA never plays up here and it's my only chance to see some of the top players in my area. Plus the golf course is about a ten minute drive away.

Please stop ignoring the PNW PGA!

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Are they playing at witch hollow or ghost creek? Ghost creek was super fun despite being a huge mud puddle when I went there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

Are they playing at witch hollow or ghost creek? Ghost creek was super fun despite being a huge mud puddle when I went there.

If I'm playing at a place called Ghost Creek, I basically expect it to be a swamp and possibly haunted by the ghosts of bogeys past

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well poo poo, my round on Friday better go quick. I now have to rush back for a meeting.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

If I'm playing at a place called Ghost Creek, I basically expect it to be a swamp and possibly haunted by the ghosts of bogeys past

That's basically the theme how it felt playing there. It makes me want to open a death metal/Halloween theme golf club. I may or may not already have a name and have drawn some rough logos in my spare time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So the US Open is letting all the LIV guys play? Shame 🔔

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The US Open is run by the USGA, not the PGA, so the PGA's bans do not apply.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The USGA said that because the event was so close, they would let people who qualified play this year but that could change in the future.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Some US open scores.

drat, Rahm, Morikawa, and Piot all 69'd together. Right in front of everybody.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Infomaniac posted:

Some US open scores.

drat, Rahm, Morikawa, and Piot all 69'd together. Right in front of everybody.
There’s a US Open thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004460

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

That's basically the theme how it felt playing there. It makes me want to open a death metal/Halloween theme golf club. I may or may not already have a name and have drawn some rough logos in my spare time.

I'll start building the website

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, a few rounds ago , I had to quit on 13 after 10-12 took an hour and I still couldn't tee off at 13. Yesterday, tow of the players in the group were at my normal course and I asked them how long the round ended up taking: 5 hours. Par 64, 4 hour pace of play advertised. Both said they wished they'd left with me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
If any of you guys want to get a free full set of Arccos sensors and a 45 day free trial of the caddie app, then go to this page and sign up for a caddie account.

Normally, you have to buy a Ping club to get this deal but for some reason you can just click "I don't have a qualifying club" and they're like "Don't worry about it bro, here's your sensors." I found out about this yesterday during a round (played at UBC University Golf Club btw) with a friend because he just bought that new Ping PLD putter and got the full set of sensors off the website. He mentioned he didn't have to enter any information to prove he had the club, so I figured I would investigate for myself and found this page.

Got my order confirmation this morning :cheers:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

If any of you guys want to get a free full set of Arccos sensors and a 45 day free trial of the caddie app, then go to this page and sign up for a caddie account.

Normally, you have to buy a Ping club to get this deal but for some reason you can just click "I don't have a qualifying club" and they're like "Don't worry about it bro, here's your sensors." I found out about this yesterday during a round (played at UBC University Golf Club btw) with a friend because he just bought that new Ping PLD putter and got the full set of sensors off the website. He mentioned he didn't have to enter any information to prove he had the club, so I figured I would investigate for myself and found this page.

This works for cobra clubs too, it's how I got my sensors.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I've just cottoned on to the fact that the majors on successive months.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Well that's pretty cool. Just put my order in. Didn't even get a club question.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Hopefully I can choose when the 45 day trial starts but grabbed the sensors just in case.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Hopefully I can choose when the 45 day trial starts but grabbed the sensors just in case.

According to the email I just got the 45 day free trial ends of August 1st. So it would appear the trial starts today!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Trip report: Walked the nine-hole par 36 Disney Oak Trail course today. It was 94 with a heat index of 102 when I teed off.

Played pretty terribly. My drives are still going too far to the left, while my irons are going right (assuming I don't top them). My farthest drive was on a dogleg but it went out of bounds and couldn't find it, but I had put my provisional right in the fairway. Next hole I put two straight drives out of bounds and ended up with a 9. Overall, shot a 54. No pars or better, so the search for my elusive first birdie remains.

Pace of play was 1:42, and I waited on a few holes to tee off. Emptied my water bottle and refilled two more times, completely sweat through my shirt. But it was fun.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
My sister was over a week ago and I told her about my new Golf obsession and explained that the Open is played at a course in Sandwhich which is a burough of Dover and she asked if there's a borough of Calais called "Baguette" and I lolled.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

I've just cottoned on to the fact that the majors on successive months.
This wasn't the case from 1950 through 2018. Previously, the PGA Championship was in August, not May (The Players Championship was in May, now moved to March). However, they moved it to make room for the Olympics but mainly so the end of the PGA Tour season could finish before the NFL season begins.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’m playing in a scramble tournament tomorrow morning with my dad for his hockey league and then got talked into playing in a cash scramble at my home course at 2:00 so that’s gonna be a long day. It’s not actually a ton of golf for me though since I tend to play 18 holes by myself when I’m practicing and play 3-4 balls on every hole and then some additional putting and chipping. I’ve been playing pretty well lately so it should be a fun day although it’s only going to be in the 50s and cloudy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

mattfl posted:

Well that's pretty cool. Just put my order in. Didn't even get a club question.
Did you guys just get the sensor or also the link? I assume the sensors are NFC.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Did you guys just get the sensor or also the link? I assume the sensors are NFC.

You'll only get the 14 sensors. They bluetooth to your phone, unless you have a smart watch, you'll have to have the phone in your pocket. I go back and forth using mine, sometimes they miss so many shots it's not even worth using them.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I have a Garmin Fenix smartwatch and if you just want something that can detect your shots and measure them out on the golf course it's fantastic. After every shot you select the club you used (it's smart enough to know roughly what club you would have used so you don't have to scroll through) and it all shows up in the app.

Really cool to combo it with the r10 to compare your average distances.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait until you start using the R10 as a sim. It's gonna blow your mind.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Kirios posted:

Wait until you start using the R10 as a sim. It's gonna blow your mind.

You need a subscription for that yeah?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

For everything but the driving range sim, yeah. I'm going to see if I can figure out an indoor setup for the garage so I can use it as a simulator. Our garages are small and we won't park the cars outside, so it needs super easy setup and takedown.

Also, in terms of deals, Srixon is having a buy-two-get-one dozen deal on balls this weekend.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've just been using the new Kirkland Signature V2.0Performance+ balls and they're pretty awesome. Rick Shiels had nothing but good to say about them as well

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I went to a bar that had 8 simulator bays and I feel like it was just ridiculously inaccurate. I always hit my 3 wood 220-250 and it was registering as 160-180 every hit. I’d hit a flush 9 iron and it would go 70 yards. I’d hit a half swing 60* solid and then suddenly it would shoot 75 yards over the green. Very frustrating especially considering the bill.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

RCarr posted:

I went to a bar that had 8 simulator bays and I feel like it was just ridiculously inaccurate. I always hit my 3 wood 220-250 and it was registering as 160-180 every hit. I’d hit a flush 9 iron and it would go 70 yards. I’d hit a half swing 60* solid and then suddenly it would shoot 75 yards over the green. Very frustrating especially considering the bill.

I did a golf simulator at some place with two friends and paid $70 after splitting the bill three ways with them for four hours of time. Won’t be doing that again, I can play 18 holes of real golf for that! Even less!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

T-Square posted:

I did a golf simulator at some place with two friends and paid $70 after splitting the bill three ways with them for four hours of time. Won’t be doing that again, I can play 18 holes of real golf for that! Even less!

Yea we had 4 people and for 3 hours and a few drinks each it was $320…

Which… whatever, it would have been fine if it get like I was actually playing golf.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MustardFacial posted:

Happy to be a guinea pig for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Josh Lyman posted:

I just got the sensors. I think they emit some kind of high frequency sound in combination with a tilt switch and a shock sensor because you have to keep the mic on if you have an Apple Watch and sometimes you can hear the club give a short beep when you pull it out of the bag and turn it over. My guess is that every sensor makes a different sound and that’s how the app knows which club your using. Then the shock sensor knows when you’ve hit the ball and the GPS knows the distance as you walk up to it.