Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've had several neat death spirals on my current CoI map with almost 200 hours in it so far. Having fail states done right keeps it interesting while not turning the game into a solvable puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
CoI tip: make sure you pause before you walk away for a few hours to make and eat supper. Yeowch. Somehow I managed to come back eventually. (Running out of places to mine iron means no maintenance so every truck and building was broken).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Farthest Frontier finally has an EA date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LtTDgcmys

(aug 9, the trailer is just a setting establishing teaser)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/city-building-survival-sim-farthest-frontier-settles-on-early-access-in-august

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OddObserver posted:

I think there is also tension between experimentation with setting up systems and survival stuff. Like I may try to set up some steel plant or something but screw up cooling and now my duplicates can't get to it without getting scalded and the whole thing is going nowhere fast, which makes it hard to get it right unless I stop playing and go boot up sandbox mode to try to figure out the proper solution... Or, yes, copy a solution, except that probably won't help me understand the little details which are needed to make t actually work.
I think that's my problem too. I'm not at a point in my life where I want to replay the first 20 hours of the game repeatedly because I keep killing my folks every time I find a new system. I did it once, had my fun, moved on.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Any old-timey managerial games worth a try from the GOG sale? The only one I currently have wishlisted is Tropico, but I've heard some of the Egyptian-themed ones were pretty good. There's also Gangsters: Organized Crime, but seems like that one doesn't even work.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

CoI tip: make sure you pause before you walk away for a few hours to make and eat supper. Yeowch. Somehow I managed to come back eventually. (Running out of places to mine iron means no maintenance so every truck and building was broken).

Maintenance is the real killer, bits of every supply chain breaking down at random makes for very unhappy people.

Is anyone else having a problem with storage feeding machines not getting refilled after a while? I had a coal storage feeding a furnace that ran out despite me having over 3K coal and turning truck delivery back on for the furnace got it going again really quickly. Why weren't they filling up the storage? Does priority for the machine affect the storage that feeds it in any way?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SexyBlindfold posted:

Any old-timey managerial games worth a try from the GOG sale? The only one I currently have wishlisted is Tropico, but I've heard some of the Egyptian-themed ones were pretty good. There's also Gangsters: Organized Crime, but seems like that one doesn't even work.

Have you played the Rollercoaster Tycoons? Ghost Master is fun, though maybe more a strategy-puzzle thing. Pharoah+Cleopatra is solid though I haven't played it in a good while. And I'm very fond of Afterlife though it's kind of obtuse so you might want to read a manual or look up a guide or something.

Oh, Children of the Nile! That's a nice game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SexyBlindfold posted:

The Zeus games are like Ajax, head and shoulders above the rest!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

skooma512 posted:

The Zeus games are like Ajax, head and shoulders above the rest!

Say what you like about Ajax, at least he killed that motherfucker Ajax

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Emperor Rise of the Middle Kingdom: There are many opportunities for honorable labor in this game

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The Sweet Transit demo (which I seem to like a lot more than most people in this thread) led directly to me buying Transport Fever 2.

I am struggling to understand how the supply and demand stuff for cargo works in this game. Raw resources are easy, I set up trains taking coal and iron to a steel mill, and logs to a sawmill, that all works as I would expect. Then I add lines to take steel and lumber to a machine factory, and initially that is fine too. I add a line to take the finished machines to a town, that seems to work, but my machine trains are not filling up. At my raw resource cargo stations the stuff just piles up as fast as the mines/forests can produce it, but the secondary industries don't seem to work that way? I guess products only move from the industry to the cargo station if there is a route at that station which will take the product to somewhere that has unfilled demand for it?

Based on that assumption I add a line to take machines to a different town that needs them, and another to take steel to a goods factory. Now everything goes to poo poo. The station by the steel mill starts only allocating steel to the new line to the goods factory, and none to the older line to the machine factory. The mill is producing enough steel for both, I can see the iron and coal ticking down when it arrives, but all of the finished steel either goes to the goods factory line or simply disappears into the ether. After a while the machine factory runs through its backlog of delivered steel, and stops accepting lumber deliveries. I can still shove logs into the sawmill as fast as it will process them, but no lumber comes out.

I remove the new line taking steel to the goods factory, but to no avail. The steel mill will accept coal and iron as fast as I can deliver them, but won't output any steel to go to the machine factory, which is now sitting idle. Deleting and re-making the lines doesn't help. What am I supposed to do here? Do I need to only ever have linear resource chains, with no branching? Sucks if so, and doubly sucks that there is seemingly no way to recover the situation if you get this wrong. I feel like I am missing something.

I also would appreciate any Transport Fever 2 mod website recommendations, I bought it on Epic since it was on sale and I had a coupon so Steam Workshop is out. The sites I have found so far seem to be mostly in German, and when I download stuff the in-game mod menu tells me it is for previous versions and is deprecated.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with storage feeding machines not getting refilled after a while? I had a coal storage feeding a furnace that ran out despite me having over 3K coal and turning truck delivery back on for the furnace got it going again really quickly. Why weren't they filling up the storage? Does priority for the machine affect the storage that feeds it in any way?

Did you mess with the advanced logistics settings / truck routes? The way it works is slightly unintuitive right now (it will be changed soon, according to the latest blog post), and if you do it wrong, your trucks might not behave as expected anymore.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Management Megathread: The sites I have found so far seem to be mostly in German

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Jamsque posted:

the secondary industries don't seem to work that way? I guess products only move from the industry to the cargo station if there is a route at that station which will take the product to somewhere that has unfilled demand for it?

Correct, it's a little weird they did it that way, the original game did not even allow primary industry to deliver unless secondary had a destination, you had to have a full proper chain. Also note that it will only produce as much as the line is capable of moving/using, so the industry can have a cap of 200, but not process through that much if the town is only taking 120.

Jamsque posted:

The station by the steel mill starts only allocating steel to the new line to the goods factory, and none to the older line to the machine factory. The mill is producing enough steel for both, I can see the iron and coal ticking down when it arrives, but all of the finished steel either goes to the goods factory line or simply disappears into the ether. After a while the machine factory runs through its backlog of delivered steel, and stops accepting lumber deliveries. I can still shove logs into the sawmill as fast as it will process them, but no lumber comes out...Do I need to only ever have linear resource chains, with no branching?

Sounds like something's wrong in the chain, or the ratios are severely disparate. It should spread production based on the capacity of your lines up to the demand. so if you are able to move 5 times the cargo with one line over another in the same period of time, it's going to allocate 5 times more to the higher capacity line, up to the max demand. It should be fine to split the destinations, but sometimes it can be weird and strain another line, have not seen something just completely dry out before and I've got several hundred hours in, something might be wrong with your lines, check the cargo types allowed in the vehicles/train cars you're using.

Can't really help on the mods front though, sorry.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

skooma512 posted:

Management Megathread: The sites I have found so far seem to be mostly in German

That covers a lot, like Anno and Settlers.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jamsque posted:

The Sweet Transit demo (which I seem to like a lot more than most people in this thread) led directly to me buying Transport Fever 2.

i'm not sure about everything turning to poo poo when you add in another line, but is the supply depot where the train drops off the goods full of finished machines? that's the only reason I can think of for why it wouldn't take a full load if available. you may need to dump more trucks into grabbing from the road depot to other depot that distributes to the town demand center, usually you always need more trucks and can never really fulfill city demand enough with finished products

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Unkempt posted:

Were those machine feeding storages in "Keep full" setting? If not, then trucks will not specifically deliver anything to the storage. (They will still put things in it if they need to unload good somewhere).

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Volmarias posted:

I suppose there's some overlap in that you can potentially yeet unwanted visitors into a pool of lava

Just had a flashback to when I got frustrated with Sim Earth and started dropping dinosaurs into fire (that's how you create fossil fuels right?).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I defiantly got a pod of dolphins to sentience in that game

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

euphronius posted:

I defiantly got a pod of dolphins to sentience in that game

Did you give them nuclear weapons though, comrade Posadas?

Come to think of it, some kind of super unhinged Posadaist game would be amazing

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

SexyBlindfold posted:

Gangsters: Organized Crime is pretty bad, so you’re not missing much. If you can deal with a new game (but which will run on lovely computers), get City of Gangsters instead.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

skeleton warrior posted:

Gangsters: Organized Crime is pretty bad, so you’re not missing much. If you can deal with a new game (but which will run on lovely computers), get City of Gangsters instead.

You've got it the wrong way round bud

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

SexyBlindfold posted:

I love Anno 1602 and 1503 to this day.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Qubee posted:

I used to like ONI until I realised a vast majority of the meta to handle annoying problems was to come up with glitchy and ridiculous solutions. But they'd become such an ingrained part of the game that it was the norm. You shouldn't have to exploit in a game to tackle problems.

The perfect example: Liquid Airlock

Instead of just having a door that keeps gasses/liquids separate, you have to do this weird, exploity way of building a stack of liquid just so gasses don't mix

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 19, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to do that, you can just build a normal U bend if you want.

You could also build an actual airlock, or build a regulating system that removes unwanted gasses from each side of the door. There are a variety of solutions and all of them work, the liquid stack is just a very compact way to do it, but it is by no means "something you have to do" any more than speedrunning glitches are something you have to do to play any other game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 19, 2022

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I think ONI is meant to be played pretty sloppy which is intolerable to most of us

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

skeleton warrior posted:

Gangsters: Organized Crime isn't an ideal game but out of every one of these I've played it's the only one that gets things almost right, which is what makes it so frustrating.

-There's a lot of automation options, but you only get 8 groups of 10 thugs each max to do your bidding which isn't enough to actually lock things down.
-There's a justice system of snitches, lawyers, judges, and cops, but it's bugged so anytime any guy of yours gets arrested they're in jail forever.
-There's also an intimidation system for extorting businesses, but it's functionally impossible to get people to pay up after they convert to another gang's influence.
-You can blow up/torch any building in the game but there's no way of knowing what effect it'll have or if it's even really possible (can the FBI/Police Department actually be destroyed? Who the gently caress knows), which leads into--
-The game just isn't interested in giving you any insight as to what's happening under the hood, so you have all these options for causing mayhem and no way of knowing what the actual chances of success are.
-Your guys have a whole plethora of stats, but no way of improving them and their actual performance is always a derived statistic from two or three other skills, one of which is always Intelligence. Like what would it have loving hurt to just have a good shooter thug to only require high Shooting, or a moneymaking hood to require only the Business skill? You can't even sort them from the recruiting screen, you have to hire them first for that.
-The realtime aspect of the giant city is technically kind of impressive for its time, but a lot of the agent system is faked and all it serves to do is look nice while constantly loving up your guys' weekly orders. If they have a full list of things to do and get interrupted by anything at any point (chased by cops, shot at by rival gangsters, etc) then their whole week is ruined. It would've been a thousand times better and probably easier to program for if it'd been turnbased instead.
-There's all kinds of things to keep track of in the city (functioning property values to be exploited, lists of businesses, areas broken up between residential/commercial/industrial like a real city) but nothing for the one thing that would be REALLY helpful to see, which is a handy list of businesses owned by rival gangs.

It sucks so much because a modern indie team could easily follow that template and make a better game but they never ever get it right. City of Gangsters in particular is sorely lacking in the sense of scope and automation.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

smarxist posted:

I think ONI is meant to be played pretty sloppy which is intolerable to most of us

This also a good point. I really want to love ONI but I always come away from it wishing it was just slightly different.

I think in the end Klei always wants to make a 60/40 game/“simulator” and I always want a 60/40 “simulator”/game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I hate games that have "realistic" physics or whatever because they're never actually realistic but if you ask how to do something fans just say "just like you'd expect because the game is so realistic just use your brain hurr durr."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Like a lot of game developers, Klei has a large disconnect between how they want people to play versus how people actually play.

Fortunately, there are mods to bridge that gap.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

The perfect example: Liquid Airlock

Instead of just having a door that keeps gasses/liquids separate, you have to do this weird, exploity way of building a stack of liquid just so gasses don't mix

This is exactly what I'm talking about. One of the reasons that frustrated me to no end. Thankfully managed to find an airlock mod that did the trick.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

But you really don't need to do that. You can just accept your airlocks aren't absolutely perfect, you know? It's fine. It's meant to be a bit imperfect. I get that everyone plays differently and yeah, I guess mods will fix that. But I think it's a shame for people to avoid playing because you 'have to' do these tricks. You absolutely don't have to.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also yes, the liquid lock is pretty funky, but unless I’m missing something there aren’t a whole lot of other exploity things that are even close to “necessary”, or worth building. The only two I can think of off the top of my head are a small space infinite storage trick, and something funky with liquid that gives you a one-tile infinite food freezer. I mean great but you don’t ever need 2 million calories of food.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have literally never built a liquid stack airlock, it is entirely unnecessary and not even especially helpful? I have built one U bend but for the most part I have gravitated towards using sumps and the inherent fractioning behaviour of gas to eliminate the need for them.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They also give your pawns a constant mood debuff for being wet, I found them to be actively detrimental when I played.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the main thing you should be doing is designing your base to minimise the amount of time your dupes interact with unpleasant environments, so generally you shouldn't have dupes interacting with areas that are not oxygenated or require an airtight seal.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ark Survival Evolved was free on Steam so I downloaded it. How is it as a crafting game? Do I have to worry about thievery and such?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
AFAIK it's probably not what you're looking for. It's like Rust for people who think Rust isn't chaotic and cracked out enough.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As a solo survival experience there are dozens of better games, as a group survival experience like the goon above me said, it's just cracked out Rust. Bad game IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A treepuncher is a treepuncher is a treepuncher.