Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
actually, nevermind.

COOL A NEW PAGE

Mayim Bialik sucks

HookShot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HookShot posted:

Mayim Biyalik sucks

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Her last name is Bialik. Yes, she sucks, but her name isn't any more difficult to type than Trebek.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

Give fj contestants keyboards, gently caress it

hell, it's what they did for eddie timanus. hell, i'd probably request one just so everybody can see clearly how horrible a speller i am

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Timby posted:

Her last name is Bialik. Yes, she sucks, but her name isn't any more difficult to type than Trebek.

"Biyalik" would be acceptable in final jeopardy.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Turd Ferguso

This is not inappropriate. You can't just pretend I was going to write an "n" at the end.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My grandma called him Alex Trivet. But she was also racist. I have no doubt she would have come up with something offensive for Mayim Bialik.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Goober Peas posted:

My grandma called him Alex Trivet. But she was also racist. I have no doubt she would have come up with something offensive for Mayim Bialik.

my ham is all black

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Some people get really pissed if you call Mayim Blossom.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The Sean posted:

Believe me, I know

As for this kerfuffle, the fact that she wrote her answer in script instead of print probably didn't help as it muddled how well she wrote Tubman. I thought she got the n in but had a n instead of m

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Sean posted:

Or Amy Farrah Fowler.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Sean posted:

yes

gently caress yes

let's do THIS poo poo again

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yes, let's relitigate how we refer to a person instead of accepting that she has a Jewish name and she deserves to be called by that name.

There's plenty of stuff to criticize Bialik for--her stilted pauses, her long-held anti-vax opinion that she finally backed down on, her awful jokes, her donating to the IDF in its attempted genocide of Palestine, her rape apologia (remember when she said that she was never sexually harassed or assaulted because she dresses modestly)--but her name isn't hard to type.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I didn’t know she gave money to the idf. God drat. She sucks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I didn’t know she gave money to the idf. God drat. She sucks.

Yeah, like seven or eight years ago, when Israel mounted a Gaza offensive, she openly said she was sending money.

She's a terrible human being.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

In my opinionation, she sucks and is bad

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah? Well in MY opinion, she is bad and sucks! So there!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

This is fair; I think I mentally add the “y” because of the pronunciation, and I have to stop doing that. Thanks for pointing it out, I appreciate the correction.

Timby posted:

Yes, let's relitigate how we refer to a person instead of accepting that she has a Jewish name and she deserves to be called by that name.

There's plenty of stuff to criticize Bialik for--her stilted pauses, her long-held anti-vax opinion that she finally backed down on, her awful jokes, her donating to the IDF in its attempted genocide of Palestine, her rape apologia (remember when she said that she was never sexually harassed or assaulted because she dresses modestly)--but her name isn't hard to type.

All of this is 100% correct.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 20, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

I had no problem remembering her real name and I would've called her by her Big Bang Theory character name since it's why the producers wanted her to host but I didn't know it.

People didn't call Levar Burton Geordi because he's as well known as the host of Reading Rainbow and that was why people wanted him on the show.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had no problem remembering her real name and I would've called her by her Big Bang Theory character name since it's why the producers wanted her to host but I didn't know it.

People didn't call Levar Burton Geordi because he's as well known as the host of Reading Rainbow and that was why people wanted him on the show.

Oh man now you've done it. He's not going to stop for a page and a half now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

And yet, no one called LeVar Burton Geordi in this thread, they referred to him by his real name.

Call women by their real names, because that's how men are referred to. Women are not characters, they are also people who deserve to be called by their names, and not by the characters they have played in different TV shows. Refusing to use a woman's real name is misogynistic as hell and I cannot believe we are having to have this conversation yet again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m still convinced that LeVar mostly gets this because of Reading Rainbow where he didn’t have another name. If Michael Richards was hosting, say, there is not a doubt in my mind that people itt would be referring to him as Kramer.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:efb ^ :same:

Counterpoint, it's not. It's just a way to disrespect somebody that you don't like (or playfully refer to someone that you do) and assigning any insult of a woman to misogyny kind of sucks in its own way.

Also I wish they'd give a more formal answer on that Harriet Tubman judgment thing. Does the screen hard turn off at the end of the timer or can you keep writing? I saw people say that the judges could see the exact spot she stopped and that she might have had less than what was shown. Just curious, because it seems like it sucks to effectively punish someone for cursive. Counterpoint, that's why you just start with the drat last name.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I’m still convinced that LeVar mostly gets this because of Reading Rainbow where he didn’t have another name. If Michael Richards was hosting, say, there is not a doubt in my mind that people itt would be referring to him as Kramer.

Yup.

HookShot posted:

And yet, no one called LeVar Burton Geordi in this thread, they referred to him by his real name.

Call women by their real names, because that's how men are referred to. Women are not characters, they are also people who deserve to be called by their names, and not by the characters they have played in different TV shows. Refusing to use a woman's real name is misogynistic as hell and I cannot believe we are having to have this conversation yet again.

Yeah? I was right every time I said it. Did you even read my post I specifically said why nobody referred to him as Geordi.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Also I wish they'd give a more formal answer on that Harriet Tubman judgment thing. Does the screen hard turn off at the end of the timer or can you keep writing? I saw people say that the judges could see the exact spot she stopped and that she might have had less than what was shown. Just curious, because it seems like it sucks to effectively punish someone for cursive. Counterpoint, that's why you just start with the drat last name.

I've always thought they were way too strict in Final Jeopardy - I remember one years back where a guy lost because he either added or forgot a syllable in Mediterranean Sea but everyone knew what he meant and if it was vocal he woulda got it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always thought they were way too strict in Final Jeopardy - I remember one years back where a guy lost because he either added or forgot a syllable in Mediterranean Sea but everyone knew what he meant and if it was vocal he woulda got it.

Yeah, I understand that there have to be strict rules or you wind up with unfair judgments in the other direction at some point, but these edge cases hurt.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

christmas boots posted:

and if Jaleel White was hosting, he'd be Urkel.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Counterpoint, it's not. It's just a way to disrespect somebody that you don't like (or playfully refer to someone that you do) and assigning any insult of a woman to misogyny kind of sucks in its own way.

Double-counterpoint: even if it's not misogyny or intended to be interpreted as such, it resembles misogyny and multiple people ITT of multiple genders have asked people not to refer to Mayim as Blossom, so why are we having this conversation all over again??

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

CPColin posted:

Double-counterpoint: even if it's not misogyny or intended to be interpreted as such, it resembles misogyny and multiple people ITT of multiple genders have asked people not to refer to Mayim as Blossom, so why are we having this conversation all over again??

Thank you for phrasing it in the form of a question

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CPColin posted:

THIS

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CPColin posted:

I've only referred to her as Bialik afterwards since it was upsetting people so. It was a response to the claim that people had some kind of issue remembering her name.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

She is currently asking us to update the way we address her:

This show will be wildly successful and she won't have to worry about that other name anymore because the sociocultural impact will be so massive everyone will be calling her Kat.

For real, though, I don't know her character name on Big Bang because I don't like the show. I don't even know much about Blossom but it was culturally impactful. And I don't know any name other than Sheldon from Big Bang and I (personally) only know about that because of dumb boomers repeating it often. That guy will always be known as Sheldon to many people. If Jaleel White was the current host and also stated that he didn't even watch the show, was a vaxx denier, blamed women for suffering abuses, and sold brain pills I would still call him Urkel. But I still had to look up his name on wikipedia to write that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah? I was right every time I said it. Did you even read my post I specifically said why nobody referred to him as Geordi.
Sorry, I misread your post, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.

The Sean posted:

For real, though, I don't know her character name on Big Bang because I don't like the show. I don't even know much about Blossom but it was culturally impactful. And I don't know any name other than Sheldon from Big Bang and I (personally) only know about that because of dumb boomers repeating it often. That guy will always be known as Sheldon to many people. If Jaleel White was the current host and also stated that he didn't even watch the show, was a vaxx denier, blamed women for suffering abuses, and sold brain pills I would still call him Urkel. But I still had to look up his name on wikipedia to write that.

But none of these people have hosted the show. Mayim Bialik has, though, and they say her name at the very beginning of each episode. It has been mentioned hundreds of times in this thread. But hey, by all means, keep doubling down on how you're not a misogynist because you treat men the same way. Telling people you're not a misogynist instead of showing them you're not through your actions is definitely a great way to get people to believe you!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

maybe we're all just lovable scamps

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mennoknight posted:

maybe we're all just lovable scamps

Can any Flames fan really be called loveable, though? You have Tkachuk on your team for at least another couple of months.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Did anyone refer to LeVar Burton as Geordie? I don't recall.

The Sean posted:

I think I did itt, lemme check.

edit: nope, but I did call him that irl even though I know his name.

HookShot posted:

Sorry, I misread your post, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.

But none of these people have hosted the show. Mayim Bialik has, though, and they say her name at the very beginning of each episode. It has been mentioned hundreds of times in this thread. But hey, by all means, keep doubling down on how you're not a misogynist because you treat men the same way. Telling people you're not a misogynist instead of showing them you're not through your actions is definitely a great way to get people to believe you!

Mysogyny is definitionally treating women differently than men, specifically in negative differences of treatment, so I don't know what to say. Sorry we don't know eachother IRL or I could show you through actions. That's impossible so we're at an impasse. I only recognize you in this thread (I don't really pay attention to most users) but from this I feel like you're a cool and good person. We disagree here, though. I'm not going to continue this in thread but feel free to PM if you want. Either way I hope that you have a good rest of your day.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 20, 2022

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I wondered if I was being sexist when I first thought "it seems like Mayim is a much worse host than Ken" but thankfully she has made me realize that this opinion is not based in sexism, for she continues to be a much worse host than Ken.

I don't know if calling her anything but her real name is sexist either, but I do know that it's not very funny. She has so many legitimate things about her for nerds like us to complain about.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Oh, a bunch of new posts. What happened...

Seriously?! We're still on this? Have we all run afoul of this site's motto?

I didn't get chewed out (rightfully so) on this months ago just so it can pop up again. Her name is Dr. Mayim Bialik, Not Blossom, not Amy & not Kat. Are we just trying to act like this isn't a dogwhistle for something else? My lousy excuse was insecurity over correctly spelling her surname, it was called out and I adjusted to correcting it.

I don't think she was the best guest host, I don't think she's a better host than Ken. I think she was hired based off her doctorate, Big Bang Theory (Blossom fell too far into the memory hole to be considered) and living in Los Angeles but even with her mediocre skills at being a emcee, it doesn't justify calling her by fictional characters she has played.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

Have we all run afoul of this site's motto?

Don't check the official forums rules page at the bottom... (btw I have reached out to a bunch mods/admins (and have the receipts) to ask for this to be changed and was told that it is not a priority and, in some cases, that it is supposed to be like that.)

Anyways I'm pumped for ToC. So many good champions this year. I want all three to win but I selfishly want to see Matt, Amy, and Ryan to duke it out.

Also different topic, when Mattea (a Canadian) there were so many Canada-themed questions/categories. On one episode Dr. Bialik mentioned that the categories are chosen weeks (months?) in advance but it feels non-coincidental. Since they ended their streak I don't feel like there has been as much concentration on the topic. I feel like math teachers get a math category often, and so forth. To what extent are they chosen ahead of time and how?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 20, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Sean posted:

. To what extent are they chosen ahead of time and how?

About two months. As far as I know, the last episodes of the season have been taped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Didn't Alex Trebek ask that there be at least one Canada-related question every show? If they're keeping up that tradition I can see why people would wonder why it pops up every episode.