Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ulf posted:

assuming you have a more real-time comm tool like slack or teams then you can just ignore email, you can just filter everything to trash and nobody will even notice or call you on it ime

realizing this was a boon to my career and overall mental experience

this is great except like two of our execs only ever communicate via email and when i have tried to message them on slack they never got back to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

the best is running a pishing campaign then chiding anyone who clicked for ever clicking on out of domain emails

then sending everyone a mandatory security training from an out of domain address then chiding everyone for not clicking on it

our new CISO is currently sending out emails demanding everyone download and install this software that is basically "zabbix + active directory but in the cloud for idiots who don't know how to use zabbix or active directory" in between the emails demanding everyone never ever click any links to download and install anything ever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trabisnikof posted:

the best is running a pishing campaign then chiding anyone who clicked for ever clicking on out of domain emails

then sending everyone a mandatory security training from an out of domain address then chiding everyone for not clicking on it

Luv2get emails for mandatory security training in an email I would 100% mash the "phishing" button on because they ended up being the lowest bidder or whatever other absurd rationale made them the choice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

:thunk: levitating 2 feet above the ground. i am trying to get to the point where "oh I thought it was a phishing exercise" becomes an excuse for ignoring real requests sent via email

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

post hole digger posted:

:thunk: levitating 2 feet above the ground. i am trying to get to the point where "oh I thought it was a phishing exercise" becomes an excuse for ignoring real requests sent via email

already see where this is going, "THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU HIT THE BUTTON IN OUTLOOK THAT REPORTS THE EMAIL AS PHISHING HUH??"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

most emails should be ignored

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

post hole digger posted:

Lmao they're soooooo close to getting it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

post hole digger posted:

Not seeing the issue here.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I've been very fond of this email I got at work:

quote:

Hello <my first name>:
<social engineering awareness training title> is due on <date>. This is a reminder that you need to complete the training on or before the due date.
[...]
Social engineers use a sense of urgency, authority, and/or familiarity to ask for information from you. [...]

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 21, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
my work email has two folders: github notifications and everything else. i glance over "everything else" once every few days and then usually just hit mark all as read

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

Vanadium posted:

:bravo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vanadium posted:

:hmmyes:

unrelated, i have been asked to give a presentation on IT security to a client at their company retreat next week.

should be hilarious.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just want simulated phishing to go away entirely. I don't want my staff to waste the mouse clicks in settings it up. User education seems to be less valuable every year. If the tech doesn't work, users aren't going to save you.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

post hole digger posted:

and so it was by not touching phish that the student touched fish and became enlightened

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Vanadium posted:

lmao

Sickening posted:

I just want simulated phishing to go away entirely. I don't want my staff to waste the mouse clicks in settings it up. User education seems to be less valuable every year. If the tech doesn't work, users aren't going to save you.

this is my feelings on the matter. i brought this up mostly wondering if anyone else felt the same

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Our field trials ended up in zero deploys since we had absolute certainty that, no matter how many times our users got pranked, they would never learn to check the indicators for a phish mail. One of our users cryptolocked us three times in the same fiscal quarter and nothing was done about it, not even a stern email, so we have zero hopes on that front.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hacking into the worldwide jacuzzi network

quote:

The login works by sending the username and password to Auth0. On success, access and ID tokens are returned. The access token is then sent to Auth0’s /userinfo endpoint and this information is returned:

This information contains a list of roles, and isAdmin is checking whether Admin is there. In my case, it is not. If the HTTP response could be intercepted to add in the missing Admin role, it’s possible the unauthorized page would no longer show. I used Fiddler to modify the HTTP response accordingly, and I was finally able to access the admin panel in full.

lol

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 22, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
jesus christ

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Not a single use of "hackuzzi". Disgraceful.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
user@hot-tub-crime-machine$ hack-all-jacuzzis

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
isCool()

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

returned "false"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

that's hott

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

our new CISO is currently sending out emails demanding everyone download and install this software
you should report this suspicious email via your mail client's "phish" button

Shaggar posted:

most emails should be ignored
shaggar is (almost) right

SlowBloke posted:

One of our users cryptolocked us three times in the same fiscal quarter and nothing was done about it
its always possible that your workplace is a social experiment at your expense

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 22, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

hackers can turn your Jacuzzi into a deep fryer!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

hackers can turn your Jacuzzi into a deep fryer!!!
deep fryer might be a bit of a stretch but maybe sous vide or a braise

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ulf posted:

you should report this suspicious email via your mail client's "phish" button

i did and instead of answering me directly he replied all to the original email to assure us it was not a phishing attempt, which is definitely not something a phishing attempt would do, so i'm satisfied

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

[NOT A SCAM] Please read: Important Instructions Attached

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Shame Boy posted:

i did and instead of answering me directly he replied all to the original email to assure us it was not a phishing attempt, which is definitely not something a phishing attempt would do, so i'm satisfied

definitely sounds like something someone with unauthorized access to their account would do, so you better report it again just in case

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol the NTSB's SSL cert expired so I can't get to ntsb.gov and read my boring dry accident reports

it's a letsencrypt cert too so there's really no excuse

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
certbotch

burning swine
May 26, 2004

last company required us to print out our phishing training certificates and hang them up. Naturally the site that the training redirected you to was some unaffiliated third party which asked you for your full proper name for the cert

anyway my coworker had his up for years

pre:
---------------------------------
|     This certifies that       |
|   BY TYPING NY NAME HERE I MAY BECOME A VICTIM OF PHISHING
|     has completed all         |
|     required training.        | 
--------------------------------- 

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Volmarias posted:

Luv2get emails for mandatory security training in an email I would 100% mash the "phishing" button on because they ended up being the lowest bidder or whatever other absurd rationale made them the choice.

we got a nag mail about filling out some external workplace health survey which offered prizes and it looked exactly like phishing:

* Asks you to go to an external link
* Sense of urgency
* Offers rewards

I ignored it but a colleague reported it and got a response of "this looks like mass business spam mail, thanks for reporting it".

it was sent by IT management lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

lol the NTSB's SSL cert expired so I can't get to ntsb.gov and read my boring dry accident reports

it's a letsencrypt cert too so there's really no excuse

type `thisisunsafe` into chrome when this happens and it'll ignore cert errors and proceed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

type `thisisunsafe` into chrome when this happens and it'll ignore cert errors and proceed

does that bypass HSTS too cuz they had that enabled

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

sometimes I wish all these warnings could be configured for ridiculous degenerate cases

for instance, I setup a linux pc for loading some customers’ router firmware at the end of an assembly process. this involved plugging directly in to the PC and sending a series of commands to the default IP address. by default ssh will throw a fit if you connect to the same IP address and it’s a different fingerprint, refusing to connect. as I bypassed all the security for passwords, certificates and fingerprints I thought “I just need an opposite mode” - if the username/password wasn’t admin/admin, the certificate was signed or the fingerprint matched somebody hosed up and is programming the same gateway again!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

does that bypass HSTS too cuz they had that enabled

yep

it used to be "badidea" and then too many people started using it and they had to change it to "thisisunsafe" lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I wish SSL cert warnings didn't exist by spec if you are connecting to RFC1918 space and whoever said privacy is pointless without authentication can eat my whole rear end.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what a terrible idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

what a terrible idea