Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The most tedious part of the thunder plains is doing the dodging for a piece of kimahri's ultimate weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I remember a part where your group is about to climb over a mountain and the characters say other pilgrims couldn’t get over it. but that’s more of a narrative thing because you’re about to climb over a mountain

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have never finished a final fantasy but I've gotten to the end of 9 twice and abandoned it both times at the exact same part out of boredom

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

I have never finished a final fantasy but I've gotten to the end of 9 twice and abandoned it both times at the exact same part out of boredom

i bailed on ff7 twice but then at some point a few years ago i saw it was on the switch and I was like "ok, lets make this happen" and i did it and i got all the way to the final battle area and I saw an ad for the new modernized FF7 and i got so mad i just threw it all in the trash

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

You should try the remasters. They have a built in feature where you can set the game speed to 3x, and just zip through things.

I beat FF7 in about 6 hours.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I tried the ff7 remake a month or two ago. it was all right but it mostly made me realize how much of the charm of the original was really the result of filling in the blanks with simple graphics and a poor translation

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

I tried the ff7 remake a month or two ago. it was all right but it mostly made me realize how much of the charm of the original was really the result of filling in the blanks with simple graphics and a poor translation

I enjoyed remake. only bad part were all the weird anime mouth sounds the directors made the voice actors do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
part of the original's charm was also the weird mod and rocker outfits all the people standing around in midgar wore that the remake replaced with GENERIC_CIVILIAN_NPC.OBJ

a lot of the asset creation work was outsourced and although that happens with every game these days it was a lot more apparent in 7R. Lemonsky did a lot of stuff on Bloodborne for instance, including at least the Ebrietas boss fight, but the art direction was consistent throughout.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What was the part that FFX slowed down at? I thought it was a fairly well paced game. It's a JRPG, the story is supposed to be 20+ hours.

You're right that it's good compared to the rest of the genre, but it would have benefited from a much lower encounter rate (and harder encounters) and either smaller or fewer areas. If it doesn't feel epic enough add like a Oregon trail minigame or something.

e: the sphere grid is my all time favourite jrpg leveling system though, and the weapon mods were cool

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Truman Peyote posted:

i think that's why i liked 9 and 10 not so much. the voices ruined it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

I’d imagine it might take a lot of work to get that stuff back online

at this point, definitely. judging by the 'just trust the upscaler' results, they aren't going to put that effort in any time soon. it's kinda a shame, it wasn't the most loved game from that time, but i have fond memories of it and the dual realities idea was an interesting evolution from trigger

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You should try the remasters. They have a built in feature where you can set the game speed to 3x, and just zip through things.

I beat FF7 in about 6 hours.

chrono cross did the same thing, added a maxed out dodge mode/minimum hp for getting through grinding battles, and so on and it does help a lot with the throw away encounters

fantasian on ios has a 'collect random encounters' mode that'll store them up for a big battle that helps consolidate grind in a way that's less tedious and better uses the aoe style attacks that i like

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PokeJoe posted:

play and complete final fantasy tactics

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Fainaru Fantajī

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just finished the "original" part of ff14 (read: i am in ishgard)

some of the Metal Gear Solid games get close to it, but i cannot think of a time i spent 49 minutes in cutscenes having such rapt attention.

And I hear it just gets better from here.

i think i'm hooked.

im kinda sad cause i can only experience this story once

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
amazed that nobody recommended FFX-2 to echi, a game he would clearly enjoy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Trying to finish spiritfarer and even for a chill game christ does it drag on. They should have cut it by 25%, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i just finished the "original" part of ff14 (read: i am in ishgard)

some of the Metal Gear Solid games get close to it, but i cannot think of a time i spent 49 minutes in cutscenes having such rapt attention.

And I hear it just gets better from here.

i think i'm hooked.

im kinda sad cause i can only experience this story once

roll a new toon and do it all over, coward

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
started playing Highfleet and so far: its good

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

roll a new toon and do it all over, coward

there's a new game + mode to replay the story quests without having to do that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

amazed that nobody recommended FFX-2 to echi, a game he would clearly enjoy

what are you talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWEWnWjOq0

akadajet fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rotor posted:

that game has the best combat

i'm too impatient for the campaign, but getting into fites is a ton of fun

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

since I looked that final fantasy x-2 video up I'm getting nothing but insanely horny final fantasy 7 remake mod videos on my youtube stream

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

akadajet posted:

since I looked that final fantasy x-2 video up I'm getting nothing but insanely horny final fantasy 7 remake mod videos on my youtube stream
lmao

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

rotor posted:

Highfleet is incredible, been meaning to replay it now that a bunch of bugs have been fixed

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

agreed highfleet is very rad. i bought it on the aesthetic alone and wasn’t disappointed because it was cheap iirc but kinda wished it had more to the campaign. you can finish it in only a few hours if you know what you’re doing but i haven’t played it in like +6 months, I have no idea what they’ve added or fixed

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

get hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSfuFlhsxZY

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gasp

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

silksong is real

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

U mother.... This is nothing new still no release date :sigh:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i mean that certainly *looks* like gameplay footage which is definitely new

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that trailer is a month old, it came out at the xbox not-e3 event

but yeah still no date

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
me yelling on a xiv raid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT5GNNl8pRg

matti
Mar 31, 2019

its no wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QcuB8zCpu4

...still probably has a better story by default

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dont care about warcraft

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ffxiv raiding is probably nicer unless youre in a top 100 guild tbh im just just casually bullying you in a buddyway manner

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
playing wolfenstein 2 again and lmao. "i'm from arizona!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcc8rmcX7Q

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

matti posted:

ffxiv raiding is probably nicer unless youre in a top 100 guild tbh im just just casually bullying you in a buddyway manner

ffxiv casual raiding is really nice yeah
also what Johny showed is one of the easiest ones (thay one's mandatory for the main story line so they made it easy), some of the fights in other raids get quite hairy and have a lot of creative mechanics (like one where you literally need to do mental calculus to get to the correct safe area)

too bad that in the daily roulette people put on poo poo gear on purpose to force the selection of one of the early easy ones

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Go ahead and get yourself Card Shark. Lovely indie game about being an 18th century card cheat in France unraveling sinister plots by cheating at cards.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

Go ahead and get yourself Card Shark. Lovely indie game about being an 18th century card cheat in France unraveling sinister plots by cheating at cards.

looks pretty good, got a sense of whether it'd work well on switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

looks pretty good, got a sense of whether it'd work well on switch?

I've been playing on PC, but they actually recommend using a gamepad, so I trust it'd work pretty well.