Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Fil5000 posted:

We call that Terry Miles-ing

What the hell are you talking about? Terry Miles has not finished a single goddamn thing in his life besides Rabbits, and he even managed to gently caress that up in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ratatozsk posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Terry Miles has not finished a single goddamn thing in his life besides Rabbits, and he even managed to gently caress that up in the end.

I mean, the Black Tapes DID finish in literally the manner described by Mix; it's just that later they went "Oh no, that's not the end!"

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

I liked the first season of spines well enough but the first episode of the second season felt like such a complete change from what I found interesting that I couldn't bring myself to keep listening.

I feel the same way about archive 81.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Elblanco posted:

I feel the same way about archive 81.

Skip to season 3 if you feel that way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, what did people think of the White Vault?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Repetitive and contrived, like 98% of audio dramas. I think there was one memorable moment in S1 but that’s about it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Oh looks like it finally finished. I'm like 5 episodes from the end. Honestly, the first season was incredible and showed a lot of promise, but seasons 2-4 have been literally retreading the same ground with at best a half season of new ideas spread across 3, and from half way through season 5 it looks like it's going to limp across the finish line. Seriously, what they're getting around to finally revealing at the close of the show with season 5 should have been the end of season 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Oh also it was a pet project of the guy who owns Canada’s most prominent debt collection business, iirc. Some rich people make opera happen, some rich people make climate change audio thrillers happen

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Oh looks like it finally finished. I'm like 5 episodes from the end. Honestly, the first season was incredible and showed a lot of promise, but seasons 2-4 have been literally retreading the same ground with at best a half season of new ideas spread across 3, and from half way through season 5 it looks like it's going to limp across the finish line. Seriously, what they're getting around to finally revealing at the close of the show with season 5 should have been the end of season 2.

Can you post spoilers because I have tried on three separate occasions to listen to season 2 and it's just so boring I give up. Season 1 was pretty rad though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Can you post spoilers because I have tried on three separate occasions to listen to season 2 and it's just so boring I give up. Season 1 was pretty rad though.

I'm not done with season 5, but here's where I'm at:

Whatever is causing the weird poo poo happens elsewhere in the world too and there's an organization or organizations spread across the world in charge of managing them. They're the ones collecting the audio. The leadership appears hereditary.

That's uh, 3.5 seasons.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks 🙂

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Holy poo poo y'all The Silt Verses is back! I haven't listened to it yet but I'm incredibly excited

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

vortmax posted:

Holy poo poo y'all The Silt Verses is back! I haven't listened to it yet but I'm incredibly excited

The Season One recap is very entertaining as well, recommended listen.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Bangfucker 69 posted:

The Season One recap is very entertaining as well, recommended listen.
Oh yes don't skip this. I love the explanation of the Wither Mark as a "crab nuke"

vortmax fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 23, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3708510/netflix-cancels-supernatural-series-archive-81-after-one-season/

Rip

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

loving BOOOOO

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

on the plus side, maybe we'll get more seasons of the podcast

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, Wooden Overcoats had a nice send-off, I think.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah, that was a great final episode. The audio from when it wrapped at the very end was a nice touch too

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Has anybody else listened to "What Happened in Skinner?" I'm about halfway through the series and enjoying it so far.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Update: Just finished listening to What Happened in Skinner. GET IT IN YOUR EARHOLES NOW.

In the first couple episodes you might think it's copying Black Tapes and Tanis. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's like what Black Tapes could have been with a competent writer, impeccable production and acting, and a well thought out plot with good pacing. It's also got something to say. On the surface it's a mystery investigation into a religious cult on an island off the Oregon coast that takes on supernatural elements as the story goes on. Beneath that it's layers of metaphors about the false binaries of religion and capitalism that turn people against each other. And it sticks the landing HARD with well-built tension through the entire series leading up to the finale.

Absolute loving masterpiece. Got through listening to the final episode and gave it a goddamn standing ovation with tears in my eyes.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Not even five minutes into the first episode and I decided I need headphones for this one. I'm already interested.

EDIT hooked after the first episode

vortmax fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 28, 2022

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Definitely check out the supplementary videos and reddit posts linked from the website. It'll make everything going forward much clearer.

Edit:
I'm going back to the beginning and listening to it from the beginning now that I know the context of everything I'm hearing and I'm getting a whole new appreciation for just how well it's plotted. Also it incorporates mild ARG elements in a few YouTube videos and Reddit posts, as well as websites referenced in the podcast. Kinda like what Terry Miles tries and fails to do.

This doesn't hem and haw. It definitely has a clear beginning, middle and end with a banger of an ending. This might be my favorite fiction podcast now.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 29, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There's a Kickstarter from Monte Cook games for a tabletop game system licensing Old Gods of Appalachia, if that's anyone's bag (it is not mine). 4 days left but they blew away their goal, so... good on them, I guess.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

Definitely check out the supplementary videos and reddit posts linked from the website. It'll make everything going forward much clearer.

Edit:
I'm going back to the beginning and listening to it from the beginning now that I know the context of everything I'm hearing and I'm getting a whole new appreciation for just how well it's plotted. Also it incorporates mild ARG elements in a few YouTube videos and Reddit posts, as well as websites referenced in the podcast. Kinda like what Terry Miles tries and fails to do.

This doesn't hem and haw. It definitely has a clear beginning, middle and end with a banger of an ending. This might be my favorite fiction podcast now.

Yah it was really good, I wish that I knew about it while it was on to explore the ARG part while waiting for new episodes instead of just bumrushing everything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

AstroZamboni posted:

Has anybody else listened to "What Happened in Skinner?" I'm about halfway through the series and enjoying it so far.

I binged this during a long trip this week. I liked it until it became what amounts to a superhero origin story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was going through my podcast list and remembered that Steal the Stars was changed to Stories From Among The Stars and became an anthology series.

Apparently anything that isn't the first series is limited time and once it's gone they just pull it down. I don't see a Patreon or anything you can donate to and hear them so I'm not sure what the goal is there. Spend money on something that people will only hear for a short time and then never again? Isn't that less ad money in the long run when someone stumbles on the podcast and can only listen to season 1 and X?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

I was going through my podcast list and remembered that Steal the Stars was changed to Stories From Among The Stars and became an anthology series.

Apparently anything that isn't the first series is limited time and once it's gone they just pull it down. I don't see a Patreon or anything you can donate to and hear them so I'm not sure what the goal is there. Spend money on something that people will only hear for a short time and then never again? Isn't that less ad money in the long run when someone stumbles on the podcast and can only listen to season 1 and X?

Inspire FOMO and goose downloads? Make a big deal of Selling The Entire Archives after X years?

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Thanks for the Skinner podcast suggestion. It was pretty interesting.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Came across https://www.realm.fm/shows/marigold-breach-show and started it only because it has Jameela Jamil and Manny Jacinto in it. I hadn't heard or realm before but see they have 2389472938472893472983798 different serialized fiction things. Anyone have any recommendations for what 'good' ones might be?

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the Skinner rec, I will def check that out. Also, wanted to get opinions on a few podcasts. I've seen good ratings for them, but they look like they might be episodic, and I just can't do anything that doesn't have a strong overarching plot. I thought I'd double check since I loved TMA and it appeared episodic at first so I'd hate to miss out on something good due to impatience. Anyway, it's these three: Midnight Burger; The Town Whispers; and Nowhere, On Air.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

10thAvenue posted:

Thanks for the Skinner rec, I will def check that out. Also, wanted to get opinions on a few podcasts. I've seen good ratings for them, but they look like they might be episodic, and I just can't do anything that doesn't have a strong overarching plot. I thought I'd double check since I loved TMA and it appeared episodic at first so I'd hate to miss out on something good due to impatience. Anyway, it's these three: Midnight Burger; The Town Whispers; and Nowhere, On Air.

Town Whispers is initially episodic horror stories that eventually develop more of a serial focus, a la Old Gods. I haven't listened to much Nowhere, On Air but I remember it being fairly strongly episodical at first in the Night Vale community-radio vein.

Midnight Burger has some adventure-of-the-week vibes but it's pretty straightforwardly narrative-driven so might be the safest bet given what you've said?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
When does The Town Whispers get good?
Two episodes in it’s feeling like a knockoff off Old Gods, rather than it’s own thing.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Is there a thread somewhere for serialized fiction on YouTube? Like Local 58 or Gemini Home Entertainment or Dad

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

vortmax posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for serialized fiction on YouTube? Like Local 58 or Gemini Home Entertainment or Dad

I don't think so. Maybe it can be incorporated here? What are those things like?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

They're three random examples I pulled from a few channels I follow.

L O C A L 5 8 is a local broadcast station serving the greater Mason County area.

Gemeni Home Entertainment will teach you how to avoid the monsters and becoming one too.

Dad I just started (I've seen acts 1 & 2) which seems to be about a normal dad doing normal dad thing

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Wellp, I was going to recommend Vampire the Masquerade LA By Night, but apparently a lot of the episodes were taken off Youtube, including the first few episodes. Huh.

Anyway, back on the podcast front, I wanted to recommend Today's Lucky Winner. It doesn't seem to be getting as much chatter as I would've expected. Granted, the voice actor for the main character sucks, but maybe it's because the character is suppose to be autistic? Which they don't actually mention until near the end of season 1 I think. Anyway, it's probably not for everyone, but I find it a lot of fun. It's very imaginative and zany, reminds me of a cartoon... albeit a very explicit cartoon. Check it out if dramedy is your thing and give it a couple episodes to get going.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Episode 23 of Silt Verses was some of the best audio drama I’ve ever heard. So annoying it’ll be 2 more months before we get back to those characters.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Episode 23 of Silt Verses was some of the best audio drama I’ve ever heard. So annoying it’ll be 2 more months before we get back to those characters.

20 (the man with many faces) was incredible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arrhythmia posted:

20 (the man with many faces) was incredible too.

Oh yes I almost forgot about that! I mean I liked I am in Eskew but this is just something so above and beyond. And thinking about it, 20 is the same 'POV' character... *hmm*