Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
FP was roughly 5 first drafts of different stories smashed into 40 chapters then about 40 more of completely random ideas until it's suddenly ended.

Reading it all at once is the only way to do it because of the massive tonal shifts, and you can really see exactly what Fujimoto was into when he was writing each section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
https://twitter.com/reikoiru/status/1547493187803316230

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fire punch lacks the humor (conviniently found in CSM) that would balance out the nonstop misery

Well its there but its some really rough chuckles

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The guy who makes Spy X Family was an assistant on Fire Punch

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Not only that, he was a struggling manga artist on the verge of complete burnout until his editor placed him as an assistant under Fujimoto, who was much younger than him. The experience rekindled his love for manga and led to the creation of Spy x Family.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Using advanced psychic techniques to teleport Togata out of Firepunch and into Chainsaw Man

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I had to stop reading FP after the villain exposited their goal. It was too ridiculous for me.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I liked it, the villain was also just some idiot. It felt like an 80s sci fi movie, one of the long ones.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

fire punch ftw

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Weirdly I think Chainsaw Man is better at feeling sincere than Fire Punch, if that makes any sense?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Weirdly I think Chainsaw Man is better at feeling sincere than Fire Punch, if that makes any sense?

I think it makes some sense.

Chainsaw Man having clear gags makes the non-gag stuff hit harder. The interpersonal relationships are also more fleshed out, since Denji is someone who's easy to care about unlike the distant and damaged Agni.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lamebot posted:

I had to stop reading FP after the villain exposited their goal. It was too ridiculous for me.

Lmao it gets so much wilder after that.

It reminds me of Blame! and Biomega in the end...

Read a synopsis at least if you don't know the ending.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just want to make it clear that Makima is trash, Makima is a nobody.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just want to make it clear that Makima is trash, Makima is a nobody.

All the same, she has great taste.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
same! great taste

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

gotta go with the opposite here for me, CSM definitely felt like fuji was holding back a lot. i understand why thou

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I Am Fowl posted:

Enjoy a side by side comparison!

I enjoyed this callback as well

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

Based on what has been shown, I assume it's the kind of devil that accumulates power the more it touches living things and convert them into weapons, and eventually the final fight will just be the War Devil dumping loads of weaponry until Denji will vomit up certain fears that let it convert living things into more nukes or other weapons of mass destruction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think the justice devil actually showed up at all. this was just a contract with terrible terms that was definitely going to kill the class rep as soon as she used her new power.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Not only that, he was a struggling manga artist on the verge of complete burnout until his editor placed him as an assistant under Fujimoto, who was much younger than him. The experience rekindled his love for manga and led to the creation of Spy x Family.
That's good to know. I remember feeling happy for the guy, finally getting his big break after tasting failure.

chiasaur11 posted:

Makima's not behind the downgrade.

Pochita is.
You're right, my bad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wonder if the horsemen were just the same as the hybrid weapons but for concepts. And those four in particular came to prominence. Though the grammar in the official translation is weird because it makes it sound like the horsemen are there but they’re obviously not.

I also wonder what happened in that fight. That makes it sound definitively like it was the event that reduced Chainsaw Man to Pochita. However Pochita has bullet wounds when he first shows up so I always assumed him and Gun duking it out lead to Pochita being diminished

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Maybe pochita tried to go ouroboros and eat himself to try and make people forget about him long enough to recover.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i found firepunch to be something i couldn't tear myself away from, and thoroughly enjoyed, but also not something i can bring myself to read again. i'm very glad creating it gave fujimoto a chance to work with ideas that he could then make much more coherent in chainsaw man

Lamebot posted:

for me that was the best moment in the entire series

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RuBisCO posted:

What's the deal with Fire Punch? I've never read it

It’s a biting commentary about the Star Wars fandom

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
So is there any reason to belive bucky was the chicken devil and not just the war devil owl disgusing itself by pulling off all it's feathers and head?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gahmah posted:

So is there any reason to belive bucky was the chicken devil and not just the war devil owl disgusing itself by pulling off all it's feathers and head?

My friend Bucky wouldn’t lie to me like that.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 15, 2022

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bucky doesn't lie, he was incredibly easy to kill if stumbling on him caused his guts to explode out

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 15, 2022

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I hope bucky keeps coming back and dying again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gahmah posted:

Is there a reason to actually think that?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Bucking coming back as Pestilence Devil would be a twist though. His guts exploded like that to release the spores inside without anyone knowing the wiser. But even if he doesn't, he was an eggcellent character.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Salmonella Devil

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is there a reason to actually think that?

Paranoia, mainly. But there's also how the chapter is called Bird and War, like how chapter 1 was Dog and Chainsaw, how Pochita is a cute mascot animal that turned out to be very significant, and how random War showing up was. Makima was one of the most powerful people in the world, and meanwhile War is just some Potoo looking for high schoolers visiting the Chicken Devil's grave? It's odd.

There's also just how weak Bucky is. When the Tomato Devil is ten feet tall and needs an experienced Devil Hunter to take down, the Chicken Devil being so weak tripping kills him feels odd.

It's probably nothing, but those are the sort of things that spawn insane theories.

(The one about Asa being Himeno's sister, though... no idea where that one came from.)

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Many people dislike tomato, absolutely repulsed by it. Some folks are allergic to tomato, this can explain the fear.

Most fear of chickens is fleeting, reserved for children or city slickers getting chased by a rooster. Swan or goose devils would likely be much stronger.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hace posted:

I hope bucky keeps coming back and dying again.

i hope he comes back and lives and teaches us all a valuable moral lesson

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

chiasaur11 posted:

Paranoia, mainly. But there's also how the chapter is called Bird and War, like how chapter 1 was Dog and Chainsaw, how Pochita is a cute mascot animal that turned out to be very significant, and how random War showing up was. Makima was one of the most powerful people in the world, and meanwhile War is just some Potoo looking for high schoolers visiting the Chicken Devil's grave? It's odd.

There's also just how weak Bucky is. When the Tomato Devil is ten feet tall and needs an experienced Devil Hunter to take down, the Chicken Devil being so weak tripping kills him feels odd.

It's probably nothing, but those are the sort of things that spawn insane theories.

(The one about Asa being Himeno's sister, though... no idea where that one came from.)

War is a bird, though. A potoo!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

War is a bird, though. A potoo!

Yes, but the title in English is bird singular, not birds plural. Thus, presumably, the theory that there was just one bird in two guises.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Oh huh. I assumed it was an owl for an Athena connection.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Regarding Chainsaw Devil's unique powers. I don't think he originally had them, but instead gained them after earning the fear of other devils for his notoriously brutal fights. Their fear of encountering the Chainsaw Devil manifested the power to erase concepts related to them.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 16, 2022

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
His name is Pochita

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Whatever happened to the anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Whatever happened to the anime

It's going to have a presentation at the Crunchyroll expo this August, which is supposed to show another trailer. Netflix in Japan said it was releasing in October, but it's not certain.