Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Bacon, Lactose, yellow Gatorade powder, butyric acid and acetaldehyde smoked wheat sour aged on Tabasco staves.

Stop giving Jeppe ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That pineapple one gave me a ripping headache and tasted like drinking a neon sign pineapple it was so loud

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
My fiance and I are going to do a trip to Portugal then Belgium for our honeymoon. We're probably going to be 5-6 days in each country. I've started reading about good bars/breweries in Brussels, Ghent, and Bruges, so have somewhat of a list started but I got a lot of info from posts a few years old on Reddit. I think we would primarily stay in Brussels but am considering maybe staying a night in Ghent and in Bruges vs. just taking day trips there. I'd definitely be interested in checking out the cafe at Westvleteren (In der Ruhe), and apparently you take a train from Ghent to the town close to the abbey and rent a bike to get there.

Has anyone traveled to Belgium recently and have any recommendations? I know I probably can't go wrong no matter where we go but it's always nice to get specific recommendations. I'm of course definitely going to Cantillion in Brussels, De Halve Maan in Bruge, and Dok in Ghent. Other than that, I'm not chasing specific beers, but just the coolest places to have a drink. I know there's a place called the Kulminator in Antwerp but it seems like it might be harder to get into now because it's so small and popular. Also I think a lot of places have weird hours so I'll have to try and plan well. Thanks for any tips.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Kulminator is a pilgrimage and it's a privilege to get in. Just remember if they ask you what you're there for, you're not there to drink beer. You're there to taste some special Belgian beers. Do not go in a group. Hope you're not allergic to cats.

In Brussels I'd recommend Brussels Beer Project and De La Senne too, they're nice. A bit more modern. My favourite bar in town is Moeder Lambic Fontainas. I heard they took the cask Cantillon off the menu recently though, but the selection is really good.

Remember though that even though Belgium is a small country, you can't get a full experience rushing through it. Less is more.

Edit: In de Vrede (the Westvleteren site) is nice enough, and you can drink the 6 on site, but you'll only be able to buy packs of XII to take away, not the others. De Struise is a short hop east in Oostvleteren.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 12, 2022

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This drama is so hard to keep up on: so brewery X walked on Modern Times assets, Maui brewing is the winning bidder? They were the 3rd bidder and were sort of caught off guard after the 2nd bidder also walked.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2022/7/7/maui-brewing-set-to-buy-modern-times

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I randomly bought a 4 of some MT hazy at the grocery store last night. Good grief it was bad. I can't recall having a good MT beer in probably 4-5 years now.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I usually stick to the basic "core" style beers these days, but something extremely evident I find whenever I branch out now, as opposed to a few years ago, is just how many beers use artificial flavourings. And you can just tell instantly.

I guess now the craft beer hype is over its not worth using X kilos of real fruit or whatever...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
you sound like a really out of touch loser boomer who has no idea what the gently caress their talking about

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Depends where you are I guess? Most of the ones around here use real fruit purée or at the very least freeze-dried.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Artificial flavors don't explode so at least they've got that going for them!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

Artificial flavors don't explode so at least they've got that going for them!

I'm sure somebody's already hard at work solving that problem.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm sure somebody's already hard at work solving that problem.

It could be you!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Real fruit? In my beer?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Real fruit? In my beer?

I can’t wait until they find out that you don’t even need to put fruit in beer again. That it used to be a talent.

It still is, but they’re going to keep making it anyway.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Legit Fruit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm having my first saison. not bad! it's a sour, but more hoppy i'd say. the fruit taste is definitely not as intense as a fruited sour or a gose

https://modistbrewing.com/radiant-preserve/

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
does anyone have an edit of the Calvin and Hobbes “BATS AREN’T BUGS!” panel but with “SAISONS AREN’T SOUR!” handy because that would be great right now

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Went and drank a bunch of Drowned Lands beers on tap today, fuckin' love me some Belgian style brews.

And on that note, I'm going to be in France for most of August, in Paris, Normandy, and around Nice, does anybody have any recs for bière de gardes I gotta drink/places to go to get them? Or really just any French beers, it's not exactly a country known for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

prayer group posted:

does anyone have an edit of the Calvin and Hobbes “BATS AREN’T BUGS!” panel but with “SAISONS AREN’T SOUR!” handy because that would be great right now

No, but why spend the time with a saison yeast if you're just going to cover it up with a bunch of puree. Who knows. Either way, that's a "specialty saison" which is what the BA classifies everything that isn't really a saison.

Inspector_666 posted:

Went and drank a bunch of Drowned Lands beers on tap today, fuckin' love me some Belgian style brews.

And on that note, I'm going to be in France for most of August, in Paris, Normandy, and around Nice, does anybody have any recs for bière de gardes I gotta drink/places to go to get them? Or really just any French beers, it's not exactly a country known for it.

Most of the good French brasseries are in the North East around Lille or in Alsace. France drinks a lot of mediocre lager and if you're going to be Paris to the Nice you're probably best off drinking the wine. It's good stuff. Thiriez is in Esquelbecq near Belgium and Jenlain is also in the North.

The only one I can think of in the south is La Cagole in Marseille, but I haven't acquired any to try yet.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I'm having my first saison. not bad! it's a sour, but more hoppy i'd say. the fruit taste is definitely not as intense as a fruited sour or a gose

https://modistbrewing.com/radiant-preserve/

Just you wait until you try an actual, and actually good saison beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
People can drink what they like.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

danbanana posted:

sure but if your First Saison has fruit puree in it you aren’t gonna get a good idea of the style

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

danbanana posted:

The point though is that it's not a saison. And if I were to order that saison, and it showed up looking like orange julius I'd send it back.

That's not a saison. It shouldn't have anything more than a little chill or yeast haze even in the specialty category. That's an Experimental Beer which is fine and drink what you want, but it needs to be labeled properly so people know what they're buying.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

prayer group posted:

sure but if your First Saison has fruit puree in it you aren’t gonna get a good idea of the style

Not everyone is deeply interested in understanding the history of beer styles and their aspects.

That said, I agree that it doesn't make sense to me to brew any "style" if you're going to bury it in juice. But that's on the brewery.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

*crushes tulip glass, flannel shirt bursts into flames*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

danbanana posted:

Not everyone is deeply interested in understanding the history of beer styles and their aspects.

That said, I agree that it doesn't make sense to me to brew any "style" if you're going to bury it in juice. But that's on the brewery.

:shrug: it wasn't super fruity tasting or anything. the aftertaste was very uh.. "wheaty"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I hope to loving god that cigar culture never gets as pretentious as this loving has because beer sucks incredible dick right now and these newcomer dudes are highlighting why. This thread is hostile as gently caress to any disagreeing palates and you know what? I hope to watch it loving burn. You know what cigar guys do to newcomers? loving offer them rare cigars and advice instead of making GBS threads on them. I don't give a drat about beer at this point, but maybe you guys can loving learn a manner lesson.

I've met a lot of you guys by now and half of you wouldn't so discerning or hard on things in person as you are on the internet. Chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates may taste poo poo differently than you.

I don't give a crap if I get banned at this point. This was the only thread I really checked and it's just a loving dumb echo chamber of "xxx beer is good" over and over with any discussion trampled by dissenters. Let the poo poo posts commence, and god knows it was mostly poo poo before these guys came.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

lament.cfg posted:

I hope to loving god that cigar culture never gets as pretentious as this loving has because beer sucks incredible dick right now and these newcomer dudes are highlighting why. This thread is hostile as gently caress to any disagreeing palates and you know what? I hope to watch it loving burn. You know what cigar guys do to newcomers? loving offer them rare cigars and advice instead of making GBS threads on them. I don't give a drat about beer at this point, but maybe you guys can loving learn a manner lesson.

I've met a lot of you guys by now and half of you wouldn't so discerning or hard on things in person as you are on the internet. Chill the gently caress out and remember it's people enjoying beer on the other end and their palates may taste poo poo differently than you.

I don't give a crap if I get banned at this point. This was the only thread I really checked and it's just a loving dumb echo chamber of "xxx beer is good" over and over with any discussion trampled by dissenters. Let the poo poo posts commence, and god knows it was mostly poo poo before these guys came.

Mad-elf.txt

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
You know a lot of beers have fruit or other flavorings and aren't bizarre milkshakes, right?

Think any dark beer with coconut, or some kind of wheat beer or sour with watermelon or cucumber.

And when they are artificial flavorings you can taste it and its often gross.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lament.cfg posted:

Lmao hasn't it been like five years now, drat

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

lament.cfg posted:

Still not as bad as bourbon culture.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

lament.cfg posted:

You seem upset, can I get you a beer?

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
i dont think its particularly experimental to put stone fruit in a saison lol

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Podima posted:

Lmao hasn't it been like five years now, drat

It has to be more than that...

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You seem upset, can I get you a beer?

This is an incredibly hostile community and it took me learning cigars to realize how loving stupid this culture has become over the past few years because some dudes have money to afford a "cellar" of beers that shouldn't have been aged in the first place. I'm afraid to share any opinion for fear of the community making GBS threads on it and making me feel inferior but you know what? I have a pretty loving good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community. I've met some great people here, but online many of you guys are complete dicks and for what loving reason? We're all here to celebrate beer, and yet we sit alone and alienate ourselves on an already small loving online community.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

danbanana posted:

It has to be more than that...

June 7, 2015

We just missed the 7 year anniversary

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
gently caress. It's like forgetting the thread's 9/11. We should all be embarrassed.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am gonna drink a fruity sour farmstead ale later and enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

gently caress. It's like forgetting the thread's 9/11. We should all be embarrassed.

To be fair, we drink a lot.