Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Sydin posted:

Honestly if I'm a team thinking of trading my farm for Soto + extending him you better already have a pretty good team assembled and in particular good pitching. Because if not you run the risk of becoming another Angels with a generational HOF hitter on your roster but you're stuck in the mud because the rest of the team is meh, your farm is barren, and everything ownership is willing to spend is tied up in a handful of huge contracts.

This isn't the NBA, prospects aren't poo poo in baseball sometimes. Heck look at the Dodgers and Padres, i feel like they have shipped out dozens of prospects and still have good farm systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think Seattle would hold off on a Soto megatrade and hope to land Ohtani instead.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

bees x1000 posted:

I think Seattle would hold off on a Soto megatrade and hope to land Ohtani instead.

I think they have more to send out for Soto and wouldn't let Ohtani preclude them for trying.

Kirby
Brash
Marte
Ford/Arroyo
Hancock
Trammell/Kelenic

Gets you at least in the door I'd imagine, especially if they're using the Soto trade as a way to dump Corbin or Strasburg.

It's tremendously dumb that he's even available and I have no idea if the Mariners would even do a trade like that but they have the bullets to make an offer.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i think people value prospects a little too high sometimes. what are the odds that 5 farm dudes are gonna even come close to the impact that soto would have

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sunk Dunk posted:

alright so will soto be a yankee, met, red sock ,or dodger?

don't think the Mets have the prospect depth to land him, plus I doubt the Nats are gonna trade in-division

they're absolutely gonna take a run at him in FA though (tbh all 29 other teams should be too)

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sunk Dunk posted:

i think people value prospects a little too high sometimes. what are the odds that 5 farm dudes are gonna even come close to the impact that soto would have

basically no chance

teams would have to include young good talent that's already performing

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Good point. Both teams i mentioned have every need to offer some megastar a 400 million plus contract.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

uggy posted:

basically no chance

Not always but it helps. It might be a very old trade but look at the Miguel Cabrera trade as a guide. Sure since this is a more modern trade maybe add in some current on field talent but this is baseball. Have to figure the Nats know they aren't competing anytime soon. So why would they want to lesson the prospect haul by insisting on some current talent. They are in a division where every team is miles ahead of them, even the Marlins. The pitching is too thin in DC to compete for years.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I feel like some of the worst contracts in MLB are due to GMs paying a guy based on his most recent season or two, instead of his whole career to that point. Pat Corbin was pretty good in his last year in Arizona, but what did he ever do before that? Marcus Semien had a monster 2021, but he's a career 255/322/440 hitter. Was that worth giving a $175M contract to a 30 year old? Anthony Rendon falls into this category obviously.

You don't have to give a guy a huge contract because he is "the best free agent on the market" that year. A lot of times, he actually isn't.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

incredibly slim but still better than trying to replicate his production with 0 farm dudes if you can't afford him or he doesn't want to stay. there's also the notion that one guy (or 2 in some cases....) can't carry a team to the promised land in MLB. depth is important and prospects can always be flipped for other guys to fit a needed slot, etc.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Angels will somehow trade for Soto and still fail to make the playoffs

I suspect the Nats rush to extend or trade has Soto has to do with them trying to sell the team

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Honestly I hope he goes to the dodgers so he’ll actually get paid what he’s worth in two years. Someone needs to break $50MM AAV to raise the ceiling and by proxy the floor.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1548362297931735040

lmao, the nats

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

basically no chance

indeed, from the rumormill:

quote:

Nats FO personnel, "Trade talks with Dodgers must START with Miller, May,..."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

uggy posted:

i think the cards could get there but wouldn't love it

it'd be like carlson, jordan walker, gorman, liberatore, one of if not both mcgreavy and graceffo. probably masyn wynn too

This would bum me out yeah lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think they have more to send out for Soto and wouldn't let Ohtani preclude them for trying.

Kirby
Brash
Marte
Ford/Arroyo
Hancock
Trammell/Kelenic

Gets you at least in the door I'd imagine, especially if they're using the Soto trade as a way to dump Corbin or Strasburg.

It's tremendously dumb that he's even available and I have no idea if the Mariners would even do a trade like that but they have the bullets to make an offer.

Hmm I’m no expert but I know it took a long time for the Mariners to get their farm system from worst to darn good and don’t want it to get wiped out for one player even if he’s great. I’m dreading Dipoto wrecking their momentum/morale by trading Crawford & Winker for a starting pitcher that statistically improves them by .01% but destroys cohesion.

Like last year trading Graveman to a division rival while playing them during a series was not a good call, especially when it turned out Dipoto hadn’t told the clubhouse in advance or apparently even talked to Seager in years.

The team is winning and appears to have a bright future, not the time for a blockbuster trade. Sure could use another good infielder but don’t go inking 9 figure deals on a whim.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

When you purposefully lowball your generational-talent best player to open up
the possibility of trading him you’re supposed to make it at least a little bit credible, sheesh.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Sad to think the Nationals wouldn't keep Harper or Soto.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I can understand Soto wanting a higher AAV than that but at the same time it seems like he's better suited to be pushing the total value record here, something like $500M over 12 years

Ohtani is the one who should be breaking records on AAV with a shorter term deal, like $250M/5yrs

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hmm I’m no expert but I know it took a long time for the Mariners to get their farm system from worst to darn good and don’t want it to get wiped out for one player even if he’s great. I’m dreading Dipoto wrecking their momentum/morale by trading Crawford & Winker for a starting pitcher that statistically improves them by .01% but destroys cohesion.

Like last year trading Graveman to a division rival while playing them during a series was not a good call, especially when it turned out Dipoto hadn’t told the clubhouse in advance or apparently even talked to Seager in years.

The team is winning and appears to have a bright future, not the time for a blockbuster trade. Sure could use another good infielder but don’t go inking 9 figure deals on a whim.

I don't think they're moving Crawford or Winker.

If they're acquiring a SP this deadline it's likely to be for guys you haven't heard of unless you're deep in the Mariners farm weeds. Think of a package built around Levi Stoudt, Adam Macko, Starlin Aguilar, and Milkar Perez. And if you know who those guys are you know that they're not going after Frankie Montas or Luis Castillo without sending a lot more out.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think they're moving Crawford or Winker.

If they're acquiring a SP this deadline it's likely to be for guys you haven't heard of unless you're deep in the Mariners farm weeds. Think of a package built around Levi Stoudt, Adam Macko, Starlin Aguilar, and Milkar Perez. And if you know who those guys are you know that they're not going after Frankie Montas or Luis Castillo without sending a lot more out.

Yeah, I was just trying to think of trades out of left field that would baffle the clubhouse and fanbase. Just worrying too much about self-sabotage when the team's the most fun they've been in decades and it looks sustainable, especially with Julio doing so well and quickly becoming the face of the franchise.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's a shame i don't root for one of those fancy, big market teams that could easily make a huge offer for juan

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sox/Twins report:

Seltzer was balls and we used about a dozen pitchers, but I got my Pride tank top and a helmet full of nachos and I saw some family and friends.

Also Tim Anderson did this:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1548131179555012617?t=QbB_qHy6_K-bFrD7lm3Xgw&s=19

So I had to applaud. Even is the Sox fans were overly represented last night in general. Anderson had a hell of a game.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

rickiep00h posted:

Sox/Twins report:

Seltzer was balls and we used about a dozen pitchers, but I got my Pride tank top and a helmet full of nachos and I saw some family and friends.

Also Tim Anderson did this:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1548131179555012617?t=QbB_qHy6_K-bFrD7lm3Xgw&s=19

So I had to applaud. Even is the Sox fans were overly represented last night in general. Anderson had a hell of a game.

i must go. my people need me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: The Dodgers rotation is sending three pitchers to the All Star Game. The other two guys finished 4th and 7th in NL Cy Young voting last year

V:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That's the first picture I've ever seen when he's not grimacing and gripping his shoulder in agony.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

That's the first picture I've ever seen when he's not grimacing and gripping his shoulder in agony.

I remember in the 2016 run realizing that he was two years younger than Lackey

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bees x1000 posted:

This is dumb Soto is better and he’s actually available now. Who knows when or if Ohtani ever becomes available.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I just remembered the Cardinals traded Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen (who was then traded for Jazz Chisholm) for two years of Ozuna.

Cardinals would be a tremendously different team right now had they never pulled the trigger on that deal.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

...or doing a towel drill.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

I just remembered the Cardinals traded Sandy Alcantara and Zac Gallen (who was then traded for Jazz Chisholm) for two years of Ozuna.

Cardinals would be a tremendously different team right now had they never pulled the trigger on that deal.
That was far and away the best Marlins trade of that group, because on the other hand they traded Yelich for four guys who are not even in the org now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1548409898291015683?s=20&t=o1vlTeKckJWCkIcxy4dWmA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A Juan Soto trade feels like when I was a kid and a friend of mine pulled a great insert and I tried to trade my entire card collection of commons and low value inserts for it

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Intruder posted:

A Juan Soto trade feels like when I was a kid and a friend of mine pulled a great insert and I tried to trade my entire card collection of commons and low value inserts for it

How many Swamps and Llanowar Elves is a Juan Soto worth?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the worst trade deal in MLB history

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst trade deal in MLB history

Babe Ruth for cash

e: This is one of those questions where you have to ask what the second worst trade deal is

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I wish teams could buy contracts like they do in soccer. It would completely expose the owners for what they are but the bidding war for Soto or pre-extension Trout would have been amazing to watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Babe Ruth for cash

This is pretty conclusively it, but there are some others that come to mind:

- Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek to Boston; Seattle got Heathcliff Slocumb

- Randy Johnson to Houston for Halama and Freddy Garcia

- McGwire to St. Louis while Oakland got essentially nothing

- Didn't the Orioles trade Curt Schilling for loving Glen Davis?

Edit: Oh, Pedro Martinez going to Boston was really, really, really bad, too.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Timby posted:

This is pretty conclusively it, but there are some others that come to mind:

- Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek to Boston; Seattle got Heathcliff Slocumb

- Randy Johnson to Houston for Halama and Freddy Garcia

- McGwire to St. Louis while Oakland got essentially nothing

- Didn't the Orioles trade Curt Schilling for loving Glen Davis?

Edit: Oh, Pedro Martinez going to Boston was really, really, really bad, too.

Fernando Tatis Jr. for James Shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Brock for Broglio