Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Wifi Toilet posted:

Nice bowling ball

I'm jealous

What do you think I named my bike on Strava?

tylertfb posted:

Yeah, it doesn't even have an aero speed-hole. Might as well relegate it to gravel and commuting duty.

It will have a hole in the seattube soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Drill it. Drill it. Drill it. Drill it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TobinHatesYou posted:

It will have a hole in the seattube soon.

You’re supposed to clear the mud off before then.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I found deep clay mud and it turns out wheels stop spinning when it's mud + 0.5mm clearance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Keep going and it’ll create more clearance on its own.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep going and it’ll create more clearance on its own.

Enhance!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Show the paint :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

One weird trick to make a new Madone frameset compulsory

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Madone is a gravel bike.

Sweet fixie shopper is gravel bike

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

sweat poteto posted:

Sweet fixie shopper is gravel bike

Wanna shop that bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

Got a new bike a couple weeks ago, still figuring out how to go faster down hills, but it's way faster than my gravel bike on some of the same trails.

Santa Cruz Hightower in the best color, purple.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it is time for my many haters to feast on my misfortune in the form of a le epic 2007 effortpost.

almost exactly a decade ago, I built up an old Bianchi Forza frame i got on ebay for like $150. I stuck on an A23 wheelset, crappy FSA Octolink compact cranks, a well-used SRAM Rival groupset, and a bunch of cheap used parts off Craigslist:

TenementFunster posted:

Look who decided to cut down his steerer tube!

It's me! I'm a big kid!

edit: oh jesus, i'm gonna have to get that loving texas flag off my bike next

alright, we cool now

god i love that ridiculous orange
It made a great commuter/gently caress-round bike. it lived safely with my other bikes behind my sofa until my gf and I moved into a bigger place. i was compelled to leave this, as my cheapest bike, in my building's "secure" bike rack while the more expensive bikes were hung-up in a storage closet.

a few months later, and lol of course:

okay, my bad. not locking the front wheel was stupid. i got a new front, bought a new u-lock for the rear wheel, and used my old u-lock to lock my front wheel to my frame.

then about three years ago, i see a guy come out of the bike room with a pair of bolt cutters and my bike pump at about 2pm on a sunday. I shout at the guy, he takes off, by the time i come back, this is all that is left of my bike:

dude had sawed through the bike rack itself to free the rear u-lock, but couldn't have gotten far since the front wheel still had a u-lock. miraculously, a few hours later my upstairs neighbor knocks on my door with my bike, which he found in the parking lot stashed under his truck:

the thief stuck a random rear wheel on the back, which was way too wide. I guess he just abandoned the bike when it wouldn't roll and he couldn't get the u-lock off the front either. the weirdest part was now that my bike had a bunch of white paint all over it now. whatever!

double-miraculously, I also recovered the bike pump!

so, I get a NY Kryptonite for the frame/rear wheel, security bolts for my seat post and saddle, and some kryptonite wheel skewers. i then lock it to something a little less grind-able:

I also got a big-rear end, hardened chain for the pump, which was wrapped around a water pipe:

all is fine for about two years, until two weeks ago, when disaster struck again. my old colnago with ~2014 10-speed veloce group which I'd just pulled out of storage to fart around on in the summer was almost totally stripped:

aggravatingly, i somebody stole the Rival RD, chain, bottle cages, and stem cap(?!) off my orange bike. guess thieves know how to take off a masterlock, so now i gotta size a new chain, and recable/tune a new rear derailleur. hey, at least they didn't take my shifters!

so after an hour or two of re-learning how to tune a derailleur, I got the bike back together with a Force22 RD, KMC chain, and two stainless King Cages from Bud Manstrong's favorite bike shop. I gave the cages two coats of black bedliner and stuck them and the RD on with red loctite. I arranged a bigger storage closet with my building's management, and locked up the bike up over the weekend until the new storage was ready on monday.

on monday:

things are starting to feel personal. I'm now short my $10 FSA craigslist bars, my old rival shifters, my meticulous bar wrap, and stem face plate. at least they didn't steal the rattle-canned bottle cages!

because I'm Bike Theft Sisyphus, this seemed like a great excuse to dump more money into a strictly middlin' 20-year-old frame:

I ditched the crappy old Octolink crankset and converted to 1x11. no, i am not beefy enough to push a 50t, getting the 50t crankset and a 44t chainring was just ~$20 cheaper than a 44t crankset by itself.

just when I wasn't feeling cursed enough, my washing machine drain backed up and flooded my apartment when I was in the middle of putting the cranks on. I then found out the 32t 11-speed cassette was too big for the new Force22 short cage rear I got the week prior, but thankfully Planet Cyclery took pity on my stupidity and swapped the short cage for a mid cage. the final indignity was revealed as I was tuning the brakes - the world's most vindictive thief also tried to slash my re-fuses

my Ship of Thiefeus has yet-another lease on life after ~8 hours of basically rebuilding the entire thing (two hours of that just trying to wrap the bars):

here is denver's most cursed bike outside the former location of denver's most cursed coffee shop:

from my 30 minute shakedown ride, 1x11 is ~nice~ and I hope to get a few miles on it before it disappears!

e: if you see anyone in denver with 40% of beat-up old rival groupset, tell them i'm sorry for whatever I did.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 2, 2022

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

TenementFunster posted:

e: if you see anyone in denver with 40% of beat-up old rival groupset, tell them i'm sorry for whatever I did.
Sorry that you have a mortal enemy. Cool Colnago though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why don't you just keep it inside?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

good grief

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why don't you just keep it inside?
boss said “no” :(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lock your boss in the "secure" bike area

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Sorry about your theft tribulations. Looks like a nice build now. I also have an excessively old frame (CAAD 8) that keeps getting new groupsets put on it.

I think your camera's white balance is pretty messed up though, the celeste green color keeps coming out orange??

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

I mean, maybe explaining that as long as there are parts of the bike that remain when the rest is stolen you're going to be rebuilding the bike and thus spend a ton of money will soften that stance a little? That or the next time the entire bike will be missing, but it'll look weirdly like someone had access to the lock keys.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

Is the boss your girlfriend?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was just being snide, I know sometimes it's just not an option to store a bike inside, but now I'm confused. You moved to a bigger place and now there's not room to keep it inside?

Cool bike though.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is the boss your girlfriend?
yes :(

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Somehow I never thought of putting Gulf livery on a bike, and now I'm intrigued at the potential.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please get your eyes checked

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Also:

mexecan posted:

Gulf CAAD update. Switched out the wheels in the last year. And a crank upgrade.

Also considering selling. I rarely ride group rides anymore let alone compete. Something like an Aspero with two sets of wheels (road/gravel) is probably in my future.

A thread favorite for a long time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jonny Quest posted:

Somehow I never thought of putting Gulf livery on a bike, and now I'm intrigued at the potential.

Gulf livery best livery

it's my bike and it makes me happy so :goatsecx:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gulf is good but that bike is blue and red

Like it’s not even close to orange

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh that's probably an Instagram filter. I color matched gulf oil livery as close as possible.

Also maybe check your monitor because while the image is oversaturated, that ain't red.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 5, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's both

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Time to forensically investigate this internet person's bicycle colour

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was afraid of a terrible derail

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Oh this loving forum. Can we go the normal routine of “what bike computer should I buy?” “What saddle works best?” Etc?

Oh wait-this is the picture forum. Carry on.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh here are the last bike pictures I took

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

green

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder what rgb value my collection of frame paint chips have

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Slavvy posted:

Time to forensically investigate this internet person's bicycle colour

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
My wife has been bummed because she can't keep up with me on the bike. I've planned routes and even half-loops that are easier on her, but she feels like she's slowing me down when I'm just happy that she's able to come out. Nothing wrong with a slow ride once in a while, after all. I like to take it easy when I'm in the mood. Let's me roll all night.

Well, her last job had to buy out her hefty PTO balance because staffing issues prevented her from using anything beyond a sick day or maybe a day or two of PTO to pad out a weekend. I jokingly said, "somebody's getting an ebike!" when she made me look at her last paycheck. She laughed then, but then she saw how much fun I had on the I Scream For Iced Cream ride a few weeks back, and she wants in. Her RA prevents her from training as much as she'd like, but this thing right here should get her going:

It was on sale, probably to make room for the next model. The dang thing is heavy as a proverbial fucker of mothers, but it was within our budget for an entry-level ebike ranking higher than "holy crap Walmart sells ebikes now?" but below around two kilodollars. It ain't the fanciest by a long stretch, but for rolling on pavement and stuff, it should be more than adequate.

The shop also had what I think they called Class 3 ebikes, which apparently offer assist up to 28 miles per hour. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002