Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

chumbler posted:

It's a very solid and cute rpg and a major improvement over the first one. The only caveats I'd see are switch performance can be kinda bad particularly in the big areas, and the combat system is as close as you'd get to a turn based monster hunter so there's a lot of memorizing monsters' attack patterns, so it might be a little tough for a 6 year old.

Thanks. We'll be playing together, I just wondered if it has any depth so I'll not get bored immediately. Tried playing Ni No Kuni before and it was unbearably slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I think I've found the best feeling in the game and it's using the lance's backflip evade to drop hellfire in the path of a charging monster

Also goddamn skyward thrust is such a visceral feeling move, it's up there with world TCS for satisfying impacts

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's not hard to switch to new weapons is it? I feel like having to gather materials for them, upgrade through chains, may be a bit tedious, but I used to main HH in groups, and solo'd SnS, and then went SnS fulltime, but I think I need a change and HH isn't it, it's fun but a bit too slow and momentumy.

Been eyeing Lance and it seems really nice, and I want to try Bow since it seems like a nice mix of ranged and melee. I hated constantly having to go for body shots as tails or the head were too far away with SnS.

The game is fun especially when I can zone out and forget the grind, so I'm afraid that this grind to make some new good weapons may kill it for me again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's usually pretty easy to try out a different weapon, I swap between them and make full sets for everything eventually.

Maybe try making a pretty generically good Blademaster set (gunner sets are more ammo type specific so might not be as easy) so that you can just try out something new in easier MR hunts. Just like, lots of affinity, attack and defense boost.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Fought MR Allmother and she seemed easier than the HR version. I think a big factor was the extra wirebugs in the field, but the new attacks felt a lot more avoidable than some of the base attacks. The attack that usually gets me is that split thunder pattern followed by dragon wind in the gaps and that didn't come out I guess. I like the Ibushi and Narwa fights though and they are still good in MR.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Made it to MR29, and started feeling like there wasn't as much as I'd hoped and it had gone by pretty fast.

Then I checked my playtime and saw I'd spent over 50 hours JUST playing lance. So maybe there's still some meat on the bone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Huxley posted:

Made it to MR29, and started feeling like there wasn't as much as I'd hoped and it had gone by pretty fast.

Then I checked my playtime and saw I'd spent over 50 hours JUST playing lance. So maybe there's still some meat on the bone.

Also there's still two endgame bosses you haven't seen yet plus a bunch of afflicted fights

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I accomplished my goal of unlocking my MR rank cap as soon as possible by focusing on a single weapon and just busting through everything as fast as possible.

Now it's time to experiement with other weapons for shits and giggles until I find maybe 3 or 4 that I feel comfy bouncing between. First up, SnS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Are insect glaive and light blowgun beginner friendly? Haven't played a MH game since the 3DS, and was terrible at it back then

As other people have said, pick a weapon you think is cool. Whether you like a weapon enough to learn it and stick with it is more important than whether it's generally considered beginner friendly. I started in World and the weapon that clicked with me the most was insect glaive, so I stuck with it and it's still my favorite weapon. Is it the most beginner friendly? No, probably not. But I was motivated to play it anyway just because I really liked how it felt to play, and that meant I had more fun learning it than I would have with a weapon that I was less excited about.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through MHP3rd and also started a new file in MHGU and I gotta say I actually have a harder time picking a weapon in the older games

it's just very tempting to go with something like the sns or hammer because they're so solid and were virtually unchanged for several games. Meanwhile some weapons like the gunlance or the switch axe are so clunky it's hard to imagine anyone ever doing anything useful with them

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

some weapons like the gunlance or the switch axe are so clunky

YOU'RE clunky !!!!!!!!!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aniodia posted:

Honestly, as neat as it is, I just turned the radial menu off early into Rise and haven't looked back. It's just too finicky for my tastes, and I find it easier to just d-pad scroll through my inventory while heading to the monster/chasing it as it flees.

As for Lancing, I looked at the Guardian armor set (unlocked from doing Baharl's first quest), and went ahead and made that, rather than following the "meta" build for MR4. Sure, I don't have max Attack Boost, but I still managed to slot in Master's Touch, Critical Boost and Weakness Exploit (albeit with a WEX2 talisman), and I still have Guard 5 and Speed Sharpening 3 (as well as Earplugs 5 and Guard Up 1, but that's more just extra).

It's suuuper comfy, and being able to clown on Zinogre just like the old days what with countering every slam of his (and also ending up with two Jaspers and a Skymerald first go, because Zinny just loves me in every game he's in) is wonderful. It also has a ton of level 1 slots, so I've added Recovery Speed, so that with the caramel dango to take more red damage just means I'm actually taking very little overall, and what I am taking gets healed pretty quickly.

I use the item button for mega potion heals and scroll to endemic life but for stuff you use once a hunt like max pots or traps radial menu is pretty cool. I have sharpen on the radial menu too just feels right

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drat almost got Anjanath solo for the first time but his fireball attack one shot me somehow. Are the paths predetermined for the monsters, like will the Anjanath always run into a Rathalos or no?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

YOU'RE clunky !!!!!!!!!!

MHGU gunlance is fairly miserable...the heat meter is so lame.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Insect Glaive is your best option if you want a faster, more responsive weapon in GU but don't quite want to go full Dual Blades
The kinsect stuff might seem intimidating at first but once you get a feel for it (and get a bug that is slightly faster than molasses) it's pretty straightforward

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 17, 2022

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anything unlock between MR70 and 100? I was kind of expecting a new rank of Anomalies after downing MR Valstrax but that hasn't happened.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Nope. More anomalies probably waiting for title updates.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Nah nothing until you hit 100.

Higher level anomalies will most likely show up with the free title updates we get at some point according to the roadmap

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please... Rathalos... just one mantle... please... just one...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Alright thanks pals, think it may be time for a break then. I can deffo see myself getting burned out on the way to 100.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Has there been any verdict on how the three hit combo switch skill on GS compares to standard? It seems to do a lot of damage if you get all the hits and there's a lot of flexibility but losing the ability to go straight into charge and tackle seems like a big loss and it makes it harder to get to TCS/Rage Slash

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Good except it becomes useless once you get strong arm slash.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Glagha posted:

Has there been any verdict on how the three hit combo switch skill on GS compares to standard? It seems to do a lot of damage if you get all the hits and there's a lot of flexibility but losing the ability to go straight into charge and tackle seems like a big loss and it makes it harder to get to TCS/Rage Slash

its bad imo

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Glagha posted:

It's perfectly usable and fun to play but if you want the biggest most optimal damage numbers it's strongarm stance into TCS without a contest

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost got Anjanath solo then he just leaves locale wtf does that mean? Is it because I press right stick and tracked another monster?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Please... Rathalos... just one mantle... please... just one...

"You mean this ruby, right?"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
This dango shop is a massive downgrade from the meowscular chef.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZeusCannon posted:

This dango shop is a massive downgrade from the meowscular chef.

Anything else, but meowscular chef again would be tbh.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ulio posted:

Almost got Anjanath solo then he just leaves locale wtf does that mean? Is it because I press right stick and tracked another monster?

If you fight monsters in expeditions or tours or whatever they're called, they can just leave and get replaced after a certain amount of time. Basically don't hunt monsters that aren't the target of a quest. I'm not sure if they changed it in this game but generally you can't even get quest reward bonus drops from the monster if you do that so it's just a waste of time in general instead of just booting up a quest that has Anjanath in it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

If the monster isn't the main target of the hunt you're on, or if you're on an expedition, they will leave the area after a certain amount of time so other monsters can cycle into the zone.
You also get more rewards from hunting monsters as part of a assignment or investigation so it's not really worth it to hunt monsters on expeditions. Expeditions are best used for gathering materials and stuff like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like doing expeditions to kinda zone out for an hour and just fight whatever I come across.

It's not good for anything but it's fun to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't had too much trouble in MR so far but god drat Astalos clearly has my number. I still beat him but I got beat the hell up and could barely tell when it was even remotely safe to attack.

Looks cool as gently caress, though, those wings are sick

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Your Computer posted:

switch axe are so clunky

Obviously doesn't apply to P3 but aerial style swaxe in MHGU is possibly my favorite weapon in the whole series

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anything else, but meowscular chef again would be tbh.

This is very true. I picked rise up on the recent sale. My son is enjoying it a ton. For myself its interesting that the maps have so many shortcuts / in between areas now but I still would prefer world.

Fun game though.

Like a solid 7

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feeling like a portable MH could be nice to have. I say portable because I don't take my Switch out of my house. Ok? Ok.

On 3DS what's the one to get, or will I go crazy after the supposed conveniences from Rise? I both happy and frustrated that I'm enjoying this game again.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Feeling like a portable MH could be nice to have. I say portable because I don't take my Switch out of my house. Ok? Ok.

On 3DS what's the one to get, or will I go crazy after the supposed conveniences from Rise? I both happy and frustrated that I'm enjoying this game again.

Generations is shorter but has a lot more playstyles, since every weapon has four "styles", different movesets that later inspired switch skills. (Generations Ultimate, the version of that game with MR monsters, is on Switch.) 4U is the biggest game, but has a lot of overlap with Generations and Rise. 3U is the worst overall.

They all still have a lot of early-2000s game design in them. MHW was the game that really streamlined things.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Am I going to be always be one-shot as a LBG user in MR hunts? (Using MR1-2 gear) The Espinas running attack just ends me and it's so funny because it's coming from a mile away and I'm animation-locked into reloading.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lily Catts posted:

Am I going to be always be one-shot as a LBG user in MR hunts? (Using MR1-2 gear) The Espinas running attack just ends me and it's so funny because it's coming from a mile away and I'm animation-locked into reloading.

Use better dango and skills

But yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Continuing my streak of somehow succeeding at hunts despite getting ragdolled like crazy, but wow I have no idea how to deal with Seregios. I only carted once which is I guess pretty good but god drat he's so fast and mobile and aggressive I have no idea how I would've hit him at all if I couldn't also fly.

Maybe I should learn lance or something so I stop relying so hard on being able to be airborne and turn into a missile whenever I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

If the monster isn't the main target of the hunt you're on, or if you're on an expedition, they will leave the area after a certain amount of time so other monsters can cycle into the zone.
You also get more rewards from hunting monsters as part of a assignment or investigation so it's not really worth it to hunt monsters on expeditions. Expeditions are best used for gathering materials and stuff like that.

Oh ok I was just practicing to see if I could solo it. Good to know, I'll just wait for a quest with him on it.