Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saxophone posted:

This.

Unless they add a whole tier of armor and remove a bunch of poo poo you have to get back with RNG, this system is a net gain to all the current builds. Talismans are just a way of eking out a couple more points anyway, the rage over them is pretty ridiculous.

People get it into their heads that if they don't have a meta build they're trash, and if you want a meta build you need a very good talisman, so that means if you don't have a very good talisman you're trash.

We all know that isn't true but it doesn't change the popular perception that a super good talisman is "mandatory" and therefore you have to play the RNG forever to try to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just want my 3-2-0 with 2 lvs of evade extender to also have a level of flinch free but monhun devs laugh coldly

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Harrow posted:

People get it into their heads that if they don't have a meta build they're trash, and if you want a meta build you need a very good talisman, so that means if you don't have a very good talisman you're trash.

We all know that isn't true but it doesn't change the popular perception that a super good talisman is "mandatory" and therefore you have to play the RNG forever to try to get one.

Yeeeaaap.

And we’re quite literally talking about sub-5% damage increases in almost every case.

The only difference for the average player is that now Diablos is gonna take 12 minutes and 15 seconds instead of 12 minutes and 30 seconds. If that. Because so much of this assumes optimal play styles to boot.

You know what I’ve been having fun with? That immortal build. I do poo poo damage but I can’t die and it’s fun learning mons and doing bonks. Does it take me like 15-20 minutes to kill a thing? Yeap! But does it really matter because the meat of the game is engaging with monsters? Nah.

Will be fun to roll extra goodies to start fitting damage back into this build.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Calidus posted:

Do ranged weapons just really benefit from multiple player, because I swear every time I join a group with more than one the monsters just melt.

i can only speak for bows but the lowish damage numbers are made up for like tenfold by how lenient positioning is for hitting attacks and being able to fire while dodging, you can just spew out a constant barrage and make monsters pincushions

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I just want my 3-2-0 with 2 lvs of evade extender to also have a level of flinch free but monhun devs laugh coldly

I got this guy the other day and I could not be happier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saxophone posted:

The only difference for the average player is that now Diablos is gonna take 12 minutes and 15 seconds instead of 12 minutes and 30 seconds. If that. Because so much of this assumes optimal play styles to boot.

And really for the average player, you know what's going to make their hunts faster than a full damage build? Drop a couple points of those damage skills and slot in Stun Resistance 3. Because we average lovely players are going to get hit, and MR monsters will stun you very easily, and if you get stunned you've got a real high chance of carting. Even if you're solo and even if you don't triple cart, not having to run back from camp because you got stunned and carted is going to save quite a bit of time.

Or, poo poo, Earplugs. If you're not playing a hunting horn with an Earplugs song, or playing IG, Earplugs might as well be a damage skill because you can get free hits in while the monster's roaring.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 20, 2022

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm wrong but my guess is the afflicted material you use has some bearing on what skills you get. Maybe there's still some rolling involved but different armors or materials have different pools.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I got this guy the other day and I could not be happier.

:swoon:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Yeeeaaap.

And we’re quite literally talking about sub-5% damage increases in almost every case.

You know what I’ve been having fun with? That immortal build. I do poo poo damage but I can’t die and it’s fun learning mons and doing bonks. Does it take me like 15-20 minutes to kill a thing? Yeap! But does it really matter because the meat of the game is engaging with monsters? Nah.

Will be fun to roll extra goodies to start fitting damage back into this build.

Obsessing over charms is silly, agreed. Since you're not missing out on much with just rolling with a charm that adds three levels of good skills. Which isnt hard to get. God level charms dont add much more.

I'm just hoping there's a limitation on the good offensive skills you can add on armor. Like one level of chain crit or weakness exploit max on each. Because not getting good rolls on five pieces of armor will add up.

But yeah, let us go crazy with utility/defensive skills.

I just dont want hellish rng basically. Keep it simple.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but my guess is the afflicted material you use has some bearing on what skills you get. Maybe there's still some rolling involved but different armors or materials have different pools.

I would definitely prefer this system

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I would definitely prefer this system

What if there's an afflicted mantle?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Then my cats will get it for me, sorry dogs

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
But if you could use a rare drop to guarantee a good skill then that would be neat imo. Would pretty much be similar to crafting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

could suck if it’s potentially the difference between a piece of armor being worth using to you or not, but you won’t be able to know/perform rolls on it without already owning the armor piece so you’d have to craft things just on the possibility of them maybe eventually being good. all depends on the execution.

But all of the existing armor is there, which is already how people are doing god tier speedruns or whatever. This just adds more dangling keys to chase which is fun, hopefully.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also now that they're teasing the next update...I wanna know what monsters are coming. I was hunting a Anjanath today while learning LBG and remembered Fulgur Anja was pretty sweet. He should come back. Also would love to see a lunagaron variant that actually like, does stuff and is a challenging fight.

Something new would be ideal but I'm assuming its gonna variants and returning faves for most of the Title Updates. And Fatalis as the final release?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Also would love to see a lunagaron variant that actually like, does stuff and is a challenging fight.

Bring him back, Capcom

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1151185986472370177?s=20&t=ZEI2FvpCZ-WX9YLCKQ8OMw

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunagaron is weird to me because all of its attacks have such a huge windup and there's so few options for it to use that after the first time I fought it the mon has been easier that pretty much every single other MR mon because the rest have plenty of tools to use and actually hit with their attacks. It just doesn't really feel like a MR monster.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Rolling for +Defense so I can roll with more points in mail of hellfire like a stupid caveman

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/Rainy_Moody/status/1549708629535752195

Seems to be random on top of base armor deco/skills.

This is going to be something else considering how much skill creep is already pretty wacky; I'm already running max attackboost/resentment/resuscitate/hellfire cloak and if I this lets me cram some coalescence and chain crit in I'll be able to break 600 damage on basic swings

Mr E posted:

Lunagaron is weird to me because all of its attacks have such a huge windup and there's so few options for it to use that after the first time I fought it the mon has been easier that pretty much every single other MR mon because the rest have plenty of tools to use and actually hit with their attacks. It just doesn't really feel like a MR monster.

Luna feels really undertuned to handle anyone with any evade extender or reliable movement options; really clear linear attacks without much tracking

I'm looking forward to the afflicted version though because their basic upgrade is just chaining things faster and that could do a lot for him

Wellwinds fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 20, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Wellwinds posted:

Luna feels really undertuned to handle anyone with any evade extender or reliable movement options; really clear linear attacks without much tracking

I'm looking forward to the afflicted version though because their basic upgrade is just chaining things faster and that could do a lot for him

Yeah the lack of tracking is 99% of why I find him so easy with IG I think, a lot of times I'll try a wyvern dive or air attack a MR zinogre or whatever and they'll slighly move their tail or do a quick swipe out of the air sometimes which means I can't just stunlock them. Even if I miss a dive on Luna his wind up is so long and attacks are so linear that I can still easily jump out of the way with evade extender with no issues at all. Even some of the old monsters like Rathian/Rathalos give me way more trouble if I miss any attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

even when lunagaron does hit you, a lot of its attacks don’t even knock you over or do much damage so there’s barely any consequence for getting hit. you’re just beating up a puppy.

for making fun of it I have purchased one (1) embarrassing cart on the next lunagaron I fight.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What does Dragonblight do to monsters?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

What does Dragonblight do to monsters?

Monsters can't get dragonblight.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

And really for the average player, you know what's going to make their hunts faster than a full damage build? Drop a couple points of those damage skills and slot in Stun Resistance 3. Because we average lovely players are going to get hit, and MR monsters will stun you very easily, and if you get stunned you've got a real high chance of carting. Even if you're solo and even if you don't triple cart, not having to run back from camp because you got stunned and carted is going to save quite a bit of time.

Or, poo poo, Earplugs. If you're not playing a hunting horn with an Earplugs song, or playing IG, Earplugs might as well be a damage skill because you can get free hits in while the monster's roaring.

Hell yes. Stun res and earplugs are some of my favorite skills in the series and really let me get away with playing very aggressively, shaving a lot of time off of hunts

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Harrow posted:

This depends on whether you have a weapon with a counter attack or not. Roars are just free opportunities to dragon punch a monster if you're half-decent at SNS. (I make no claim to be decent though.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

This depends on whether you have a weapon with a counter attack or not. Roars are just free opportunities to dragon punch a monster if you're half-decent at SNS. (I make no claim to be decent though.)

Yeah it's that "half-decent" part that is the catch. I mean if you're good enough you can dodge roars but you have to be really on the ball. Like I know I can counter a roar with IG's Advancing Roundslash (not the best example because IG gets full Earplugs with white+orange but still) but the timing's reasonably tight and it's often easier to just have Earplugs and keep slashing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm usually not a "damage or nothing" kind of person in monster hunter but I'm still usually of the opinion after someone explained it that earplugs is bad because 1: you can dodge/block roars and 2: it just lets you get a couple extra hits like 3 times a hunt. It doesn't feel worth it compared to a number of other skills. Like I wouldn't kick it out of bed if I got it from a buff or a talisman or something but I wouldn't deliberately put it on my armor.

Edit: to be fair I'm a greatsword player so tackling has always been an option for me so that might not be fair to everyone else

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Earplugs was perfectly fine when it was budgeted like a 1-slot skill on par with like, Free Meal or Elemental resistance; a comfort skill you might slot in if you knew you were going to run a specific fight back a dozen times.

But priced as a 2- 3-slot competing with real skills there's no way. Maybe if there was a 4-slot deco with all 5 points or something.

e: oh man it IS a 3 isn't it?

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Earplugs has been better in previous games, but requiring five points (!) for full effect, on level 3 gems (!!) is a crazy huge investment considering how many weapons have counters or wirebug skills with iframes that can do the same thing for free. With sunbreak there’s even more counters and even some universal options like redirection. It’s not a bad skill and I appreciate getting it with insect glaive or hunting horn, but it’s hard to justify the cost of putting it on your armor.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I will say people do kind of downplay how much damage skills can make a difference in hunt times, even if you're not doing speedrunner-like optimal play. Me and a friend went through Sunbreak MR key quests together with the main damage skills maxed out because we had the slots/charms for it. We had a lot of hunts where we simultaneously thought:

1) "Oh gently caress oh gently caress that's a ton of damage oh gently caress" followed by a cart or 2.

2) "Oh wow that thing died way faster than we expected."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cease to Hope posted:

Monsters can't get dragonblight.

Then why the gently caress are there dragon weapons???

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Elemental weapons don’t apply blights, just extra damage.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Inzombiac posted:

You can't blight monsters with any weapon. Those come from other monster attacks via Wyvern Riding or beetles, and there isn't a Dragon beetle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Dragon is an element like fire, thunder, water, and ice. Lots of monsters are weak to dragon damage, especially Elder Dragons (just like Pokemon, dragons are weak to dragon).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

To do damage to monsters weak to dragon damage. Same as any elemental weapon.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Im surprised they didnt add an options, via certain weapons or skills, to let us inflict blights status the same way we can with Poison/Para/Blast. The rampage deco slot was right there for this!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vise the Stompy posted:

Im surprised they didnt add an options, via certain weapons or skills, to let us inflict blights status the same way we can with Poison/Para/Blast. The rampage deco slot was right there for this!

There’s a pretty broken mod that actually does this (add blight buildup to element damage)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

People get it into their heads that if they don't have a meta build they're trash

Or, get this:

big number fun, meta sets mathematically tweaked to do biggest number, biggest number being tied to RNG screw is loving stupid

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Elderseal was a cool gimmick, they should bring it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Any time I look at a monster's elemental numbers I have no idea what amount indicates that it's actually gonna take good damage from an element or not