Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jaxyon posted:

You can't just say this and then not post beefcake shots.

https://twitter.com/emilyhuckabee/status/1550310915576197120

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Jaxyon posted:

You can't just say this and then not post beefcake shots.

I assume they are talking about the guy a few seconds in.
I'm still wondering about the Starfleet guy.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1550309544265453570

e:fb

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's an iron law of twitter that if your name is Huckabee you will post absolutely dogshit content

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
beefcake chat aside, it's noteworthy how pivotal Trump personally was in everything that happened. It seems like there's some uh light whitewashing going on of some of the trump admin folks, but in return they're throwing Trump under the bus. Cippolone gave at moments some of the most damning testimony about Trump while also giving an exceedingly strong defense of the rest of the actual trump admin. Basically the trump admin folks are asserting that they're institutionalist republicans, which is probably something of a stretch if you talked to some of them 2 years ago, but it's also a pretty powerful signal that his entire white house staff is disavowing him.

On the other end you have Trump and the 'clown car' of bannon, flynn, giuliani, stone, eastman, kraken lady, pillow guy, a handful of others and the right wing militias that most aggressively pushed into the capitol.

tldr: interesting to see that much of the actual trump administration disavow his actions

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
To be fair Cippolone didn't throw Trump under the bus until Hutchinson just about threw him under the bus. He'd be facing contempt charges with Bannon if she hadn't testified.

Another reminder that Hutchinson is still a ghoul like the rest of them

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think it’s fair to say that anyone still close enough to big Don on the 6th that the committee want to talk to them is kind of a garbagy human being.

Anyone who even entertained the thought of working under the Trump umbrella after his extremely public and outright racist birther campaign should be shunned from society.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What is this, Italy? Taking August off?!

Good hearing, but glad I didn't stay up for it. No berders or choking stories. Sad!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I know it's not unusual for Cheney to call out the folks who won't testify, but I also wonder if her closing statement was quite that strong on praising all the women who came forward (and making fun of the old men who won't) before the news of that "thots and hoes" guy whining about both his female colleagues and how he was too young to afford a lawyer to fight the subpoena.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Cheney, for whoever she was, is an inspiration in this committee. I know she's done bad poo poo as a politician, they all have, but hell if this doesn't look like a competent government all of a sudden.

gently caress Liz Cheney. She voted with Trump like 93% of the time. She is a goddamn ghoul like all the rest of them. This is the bare loving minimum she (and the rest of the GOP) should be doing.

To this day the GOP continues to obstruct and prevent meaningful change from occurring while simultaneously the Supreme Court strips us off our rights.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

gently caress Liz Cheney. She voted with Trump like 93% of the time. She is a goddamn ghoul like all the rest of them. This is the bare loving minimum she (and the rest of the GOP) should be doing.

To this day the GOP continues to obstruct and prevent meaningful change from occurring while simultaneously the Supreme Court strips us off our rights.

Yeah, maybe there's some small ounce of doing the right thing buried somewhere in her, but this is almost all revenge for her. She was probably pissed at having to run from the bloodthirsty mob, and thought everyone was with her to take down Trump. She tried to lead the charge in the house, but the republican cowards took a step back and metaphorically looked away whistling after they had 2 days to think about it. She was ousted from leadership, about to get primaried out, so now she wants to burn them all. She doesn't give a gently caress about this happening right before the election, they hung her out to dry and now she wants revenge on everyone, making this as bad for the gop as possible.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

deety posted:

I know it's not unusual for Cheney to call out the folks who won't testify, but I also wonder if her closing statement was quite that strong on praising all the women who came forward (and making fun of the old men who won't) before the news of that "thots and hoes" guy whining about both his female colleagues and how he was too young to afford a lawyer to fight the subpoena.

No, she made an almost identical statement I think 2 weeks ago at a talk she did at the reagan foundation. That said, she was clearly referring to Hutchinson in that speech who was already receiving threats and harassment. so no, it's not a response to that specific guy, but yeah it's basically a response to people being horrible to hutchinson.

Also worth noting that pretty much the entirety of the 1/6 coup organizers were men, outside of kraken lady.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Haven't watched the whole thing yet but LOL at the committee playing actual recorded audio/video segments and

"this is all heresay heresy"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The funny thing about “this is all heresy” is that no one in the GOP sphere would consider that a bad statement. “Yeah they’re attacking God Emperor Trump, ofc it’s heresy!”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rigel posted:

Yeah, maybe there's some small ounce of doing the right thing buried somewhere in her, but this is almost all revenge for her. She was probably pissed at having to run from the bloodthirsty mob, and thought everyone was with her to take down Trump. She tried to lead the charge in the house, but the republican cowards took a step back and metaphorically looked away whistling after they had 2 days to think about it. She was ousted from leadership, about to get primaried out, so now she wants to burn them all. She doesn't give a gently caress about this happening right before the election, they hung her out to dry and now she wants revenge on everyone, making this as bad for the gop as possible.

Absolutely, and she and kinzinger are smart enough to realize that they will now be fondly remembered at least for this by history who will view as heroes who stood up against their party and for America as a whole.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So that’s it, right? No more hearings and in about a month or two people are going to collectively forget about before midterms?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

So that’s it, right? No more hearings and in about a month or two people are going to collectively forget about before midterms?

No they said there will be more hearings in September.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ringo Star Get posted:

No.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornato, Engel, and the driver have all now retained private counsel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Amazing that they hadn't previously really

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

No it's just summer vacation, they're taking a month off from protecting our democracy

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

No it's just summer vacation, they're taking a month off from protecting our democracy

And re-election campaigning.

Cheney is about to be primaried and she’s got 3 weeks to turn things around.

She likely won’t.What are the odds she runs as an independent?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Automatic Slim posted:

And re-election campaigning.

Cheney is about to be primaried and she’s got 3 weeks to turn things around.

She likely won’t.What are the odds she runs as an independent?

Cheney's done politically. If she runs as an independent she's just as likely to pull from decorum poisoned old conservadems as she is from Republicans and her singular goal in life right now is to burn the Republican Party to the ground so she and her ilk can rebuild it from the ashes in her own image.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Oracle posted:

Cheney's done politically. If she runs as an independent she's just as likely to pull from decorum poisoned old conservadems as she is from Republicans and her singular goal in life right now is to burn the Republican Party to the ground so she and her ilk can rebuild it from the ashes in her own image.

Probably.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't care what happens to Liz Cheney and just because the Overton Window has moved so far to the right that now republicans get extra credit for not overthrowing democracy. It doesn't mean I should give a poo poo about her or pretend she doesn't loving suck. She'll parlay this into a career going on CNN and MSNBC as a token conservative or something. Maybe write a book. If she had any loving sense of decency, she'd take a moment to realize just how much her party represents the party of pitchforks and torches who see any progress as a Frankenstein monster but she won't. This is just where she draws the line personally.

She'll be fine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't know if it was made explicit, but the mob left the Capitol as soon as he told them to go home, only because he told them. Three hours of rioting he provably could have stopped at any time.
It was made explicit. Multiple bits of footage of rioters saying "He told us to go home".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It was made explicit. Multiple bits of footage of rioters saying "He told us to go home".

Also that he only told them to go home when it was clear the coup attempt had failed. He wanted it to keep going as long as there was a chance they might actually kill Mike Pence and a bunch of Congress people.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Including video of QAnon Shaman literally going "I AM HERE TO DELIVER THE PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE" followed by him showing everyone the video

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
By setpember, trump will already be running for president, so he'll be doing rallies and calling more attention to the comittee.

Did they happen to say how mamy hearings they'd have in September? I imagine they might play that by ear; who knows what comes out between now and then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Meatball posted:

By setpember, trump will already be running for president, so he'll be doing rallies and calling more attention to the comittee.

Did they happen to say how mamy hearings they'd have in September? I imagine they might play that by ear; who knows what comes out between now and then.

no idea. probably at least 3.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 22, 2022

Kale
May 14, 2010

Chariots of Fire theme was the exact music playing in my head before I unmuted no joke.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

By the time September rolls around, Cheney will have been primaried and Trump probably will have released a gloating statement and had a few smug speeches at rallies all claiming responsibility for ending her career, so she'll probably not be holding anything back if there's anything they learn which could hurt Trump and the GOP in September and October.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is the kind of obtuseness that I find most obnoxious in this thread. This is just drive-by poo poo-posting and willful ignorance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I get it, but at the same time, without Cheney and Kinzinger this committee never gets off the ground. We don't see the evidence on live tv. We never truly understand Trump's culpability on record. And the democracy is lost at the next election.

Rip and tear up Republicans forever, including those playing hero now, but also understand that without them we've completely lost everything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I get it, but at the same time, without Cheney and Kinzinger this committee never gets off the ground. We don't see the evidence on live tv. We never truly understand Trump's culpability on record. And the democracy is lost at the next election.

Rip and tear up Republicans forever, including those playing hero now, but also understand that without them we've completely lost everything.

This. Basically just realize that a lot of these ghouls want to go back to the quiet W era shittyness but for now they are stabbing the chuds so that makes them “ allies” for now. I prefer the vengeful ghouls like Cheney and hurt “idealist” ghouls like kinzinger throwing the big punches if it gets normies and rinos mad at chuds. gently caress em all obviously but at least they are doing the right thing even if for wrong reasons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I would like that the people on the committee remain members of congress over their potential replacements so I would prefer that they go off and spend August campaigning WHILE THEIR STAFF CONTINUES TO WORK.

JFC people, get a grip.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the quiet W era shittyness

Lol.

I'm you're right but it's awful that we're at that point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Meatball posted:

Can't wait to hear all of those oh so clever and not at all juvenile new nicknames!

Kale posted:

Chariots of Fire theme was the exact music playing in my head before I unmuted no joke.

"Rocky" for me

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
is there any evidence yet in polling or whatever that anybody but Dems are watching or care about this stuff at all?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tatsuta Age posted:

is there any evidence yet in polling or whatever that anybody but Dems are watching or care about this stuff at all?

It is not really possible to separate the impact of this committee from the impact of Roe v Wade. Something is making the polls shift significantly away from a GOP blowout, and its probably just a little bit of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

6 in 10 Americans say they are paying at least some attention to the Jan 6 hearings. 80% of Dems, 40% of Republicans. People who only believe what they hear on Fox News are never going to be swayed by anything else. A respectable chunk of people who call themselves Republicans are paying attention.

What non-American historians write about the coup attempt will be based on much more data. American historians? Well, depends on who wins the next coup, huh?

Re W: I would never have believed you if you'd told me pre-2015 that George W. Bush wouldn't be the worst President in my lifetime. And I've lived from JFK onward. (well, technically, Eisenhower, but I was barely born.)